PDA

View Full Version : Platinum RMT - Yeah I Stall

Dancing Mad
10-25-2008, 09:36 PM
This is my first team for Platinum and my first ever attempt at a stall team. It has had modest success but nothing spectacular. My goal is simple. Just outlast my opponent and let Stealth Rocks, Spikes and Toxic Spikes wear them done.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa437.png
Bronzong
@Leftovers
Sassy 252 HP 84 Attack 80 Def 92 Sp. Def
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis

Bronzong my bog standard lead. Bronzong sets up the all important Stealth Rock that every stall team needs. Also can incapacitate a Pokemon with Hypnosis.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa145.png
Zapdos
@Leftovers
Calm 252 HP 220 Def 36 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Toxic
- Roost

Zapdos is my all important Skymin counter. Zapdos also walls Lucario without Ice Punch and other Fighting Pokemon. Thunderbolt and HP Ice for the pseudo boltbeam. Toxic helps with the lack of Toxic Spikes on my team. Roost is to help out stall poisoned Pokemon.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa073.png
Tentacruel
@Leftovers
Calm 204 HP 36 Spd 96 Sp Atk 172 Sp Def
-Surf
-Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes

Tentacruel is my special wall. Sets up the all important Toxic Spikes that every stall team needs. Rapid Spin to get rid of those pesky Spikes and Stealth Rocks. Also helps cover Bronzongs and Skarmorys Fire weakness which gives him plenty of chances to set up with Heatran being on the majority of teams.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa227.png
Skarmory
@Leftovers
Impish 252 HP 96 Attack 156 Def 4 Spd
- Drill Peck
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Skarmory sets up the rest of my indirect damage with spikes. Skarmory also helps deal indirect damage with Whirlwind.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/e/e5/Spr_4p_479O.png
Rotom-h
@Leftovers
Calm 252 HP 136 Def 120 Sp. Def
-Thunderbolt
-Shadowball
-Overheat
-Reflect

Wow, I have been playing around with Rotom-h and I must say he rocks. Probably my favorite spin blocker in the game. Thunderbolt for Starmie, Overheat for Fortress. Rotom-h can also counter Lucario, Scizor and Heracross. Wow I hope the rest of the Rotom forms are this good.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa233.png
Porygon2
@Leftovers
Bold 232 HP 238 Def 40 Sp Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Conversion2

Ah Porygon2 my Salamence, Gyarados and Heatran counter all in one. Trace has to be one of the best abilities in the game. Porygon2 patches up some holes in my defense. Conversion2 might snag me a nifty resistance.

Starkipraggy
10-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I see Magnezone eating your Skarmory and your Bronzong, and Porygon2, though able to trap Magnezone, may not be able to defeat a highly offensively geared version. And why Magic Coat? :O

Consider giving Bronzong Stealth Rocks to nail fliers as well when they switch in, and to hurt ground-based Pokemon some more.

Dancing Mad
10-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I see Magnezone eating your Skarmory and your Bronzong, and Porygon2, though able to trap Magnezone, may not be able to defeat a highly offensively geared version. And why Magic Coat? :O

Consider giving Bronzong Stealth Rocks to nail fliers as well when they switch in, and to hurt ground-based Pokemon some more.

I haven't had to much trouble with Magnezone. I played plenty of battles and I haven't even seen one. Also I didn't know what to put as Porygon2's last move so I picked Magic Coat and it has worked occasionally. Also Bronzong already has Stealth Rocks.

Leman
10-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I'd recommend a leading with Bronzong, to get SR in quicker, and maybe putting in Toxic Spikes in here somewhere. You'll also probably find Spiritomb/Dusknoir/Rotom(alt) as a better spin blocker than Mismagius, but she works not. Spitiomb/Dusknoir/Rotom are just overall easier to switch in than Mismagius.

Snorlax seems somewhat out of place here. If he's your main Special Wall, than he should be a Sleep Talker. I think that a specially based Tentacruel could work better here. It get Toxic Spikes in which could prove extremely helpful. Roserade could also work, doubling by setting up spikes, and then coming back in with a late game sweep. A Scarf set with energy Ball/Toxic Spikes/Sludge Bomb/Leaf Storm would work. It would free up a spot on Zapdos for Something like Heat Wave to slaughter Scizor, but you don't have a problem with him.

Dancing Mad
10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I'd recommend a leading with Bronzong, to get SR in quicker, and maybe putting in Toxic Spikes in here somewhere. You'll also probably find Spiritomb/Dusknoir/Rotom(alt) as a better spin blocker than Mismagius, but she works not. Spitiomb/Dusknoir/Rotom are just overall easier to switch in than Mismagius.

Snorlax seems somewhat out of place here. If he's your main Special Wall, than he should be a Sleep Talker. I think that a specially based Tentacruel could work better here. It get Toxic Spikes in which could prove extremely helpful. Roserade could also work, doubling by setting up spikes, and then coming back in with a late game sweep. A Scarf set with energy Ball/Toxic Spikes/Sludge Bomb/Leaf Storm would work. It would free up a spot on Zapdos for Something like Heat Wave to slaughter Scizor, but you don't have a problem with him.

At first I lead with Bronzong but everybody already knew what I was trying to do so they just Taunted him allowing them to set up. Mismagius works but I have been looking into Rotom. Which form and what moveset should I use for him?

Tentacruel seems like a better option than Snorlax so I can set up Toxic Spikes.

-Holland-
10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
At first I lead with Bronzong but everybody already knew what I was trying to do so they just Taunted him allowing them to set up. Mismagius works but I have been looking into Rotom. Which form and what moveset should I use for him?

Tentacruel seems like a better option than Snorlax so I can set up Toxic Spikes.

Rotom is very dependable, as I've seen, with excellent defenses and pretty good Speed. For this team, I'd recommend the Heat form, as Swords Dance Lucario can unleash some serious damage on this team. Being able to OHKO it with Overheat would be a great asset. I have not looked into Rotom or good EV spreads for it, but that's just my relatively shallow analysis of the situation.

Dancing Mad
10-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Rotom is very dependable, as I've seen, with excellent defenses and pretty good Speed. For this team, I'd recommend the Heat form, as Swords Dance Lucario can unleash some serious damage on this team. Being able to OHKO it with Overheat would be a great asset. I have not looked into Rotom or good EV spreads for it, but that's just my relatively shallow analysis of the situation.

Alright, I might try heat form. It also acts as a great spin blocker. Thunderbolts Stramie, Overheats Fortress. I might lurk around Smogon to see if I can find a good set.

-Holland-
10-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Alright, I might try heat form. It also acts as a great spin blocker. Thunderbolts Stramie, Overheats Fortress. I might lurk around Smogon to see if I can find a good set.

A lot of people run Choice Scarf with Trick, so that might be a good idea, although if it's not a lead, it's a good way to get yourself killed on a wrong prediction. Usually I see people using Shadow Ball/ Thunderbolt/ Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave/ Overheat. Based on that premise, you may want Will-O-Wisp to stop physical attackers, as Tentacruel and/or Zapdos can take care of Heatran.

Then again, you did put Reflect up there, which, while temporary, is a good alternative through which you can't get yourself screwed by a hungry Choice Scarf Arcanine (I've only seen it a couple of times, but Flare Blitz can do about 30% to even Kingdra when he gets a boost).

Dancing Mad
10-26-2008, 10:07 PM
A lot of people run Choice Scarf with Trick, so that might be a good idea, although if it's not a lead, it's a good way to get yourself killed on a wrong prediction. Usually I see people using Shadow Ball/ Thunderbolt/ Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave/ Overheat. Based on that premise, you may want Will-O-Wisp to stop physical attackers, as Tentacruel and/or Zapdos can take care of Heatran.

Then again, you did put Reflect up there, which, while temporary, is a good alternative through which you can't get yourself screwed by a hungry Choice Scarf Arcanine (I've only seen it a couple of times, but Flare Blitz can do about 30% to even Kingdra when he gets a boost).

Yeah also I don't think I will run any status moves because they usually are a waste with Toxic Spikes. I think I am going to keep its Evs a little split between physical and special because I seem to be lacking in the special walls side.

-Holland-
10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah also I don't think I will run any status moves because they usually are a waste with Toxic Spikes. I think I am going to keep its Evs a little split between physical and special because I seem to be lacking in the special walls side.

Well, this is true, but there are still a number of Flying types and Levitators that will bypass Toxic Spikes altogether, namely Gengar and Azelf, both of whom can wreak havoc on this team if you're not careful. This is why I always consider having some form of reliable paralysis or a plain Thunder Wave to screw over fast sweepers. It's not necessary, but you may have to look out otherwise.

Dancing Mad
10-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Well, this is true, but there are still a number of Flying types and Levitators that will bypass Toxic Spikes altogether, namely Gengar and Azelf, both of whom can wreak havoc on this team if you're not careful. This is why I always consider having some form of reliable paralysis or a plain Thunder Wave to screw over fast sweepers. It's not necessary, but you may have to look out otherwise.

I haven't had to much trouble with those two usually I am able to play around it. Although I have a had a couple of battles when Thunderwave would have come in handy but Reflect has saved my ass too. So I think I will try both and see what works best.

-Holland-
10-27-2008, 05:52 AM
I haven't had to much trouble with those two usually I am able to play around it. Although I have a had a couple of battles when Thunderwave would have come in handy but Reflect has saved my ass too. So I think I will try both and see what works best.

Yeah, as long as one has Shoddy, they can try just about anything for some feedback or just for kicks...>_>

Anyway, looking at Porygon2, Magic Coat really isn't that necessary, given that he isn't this team's lead. It does help against a random Roserade or Gengar that doesn't lead, but in the long run, that really isn't so necessary. Thus, with Porygon2's excellent Defense and high HP, Conversion2 is actually very useful if you pull it out late-game and you've seen most of the opponent's team. It's a pretty fun way to screw up a Vaporeon trying to Surf you to death, although it won't necessarily net you a Fighting resist, as Fighting attacks will wound you faster than you can heal. Either way, it's typically more useful than Magic Coat late-game, given Porygon2's general resilience and total awesomeness.

Dark_Azelf
10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Conversion 2 is poop its mere novelty =/.

Toxic or an assorted Hidden power is a much better option for your team.

You will struggle with status, id personally make zapdos this : -

Zapdos@Leftovers
252 HP / 252 SP.DEF / 6 SP.ATT
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden power Ice
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

And it wont matter about toxic being dropped as you can, as said, put that on p2.

As for tenta, i much prefer this spread

203 HP / 108 DEF / 24 SP.ATT / 172 SP.DEF.

Since Mixapes close combat does a crap load to those who dont invest in sp.def (~40% lol), this spread lets you cushion those better.

Ive also never found ANY attacking move other than surf any use on tenta, Knock off/Surf/Rapid Spin/T-Spikes has been impressive especially now since its actually legal with Platifail errm Patinum, but thats up to you.

On zong, hypnosis really isnt any use with t-spikes in all honesty. Trick + Macho Brace is great.

A huge problem for stall team is "last pokemon sweeps", aka you kill their whole team and their last poke is a cune or a lax and they calm mind and curse up respectivly but you cant phaze them due to it being their last poke, Perish Song is an awesome move and you could look to squeeze that in somewhere, but meh.

Wish support would be awesome too.

But yeah it looks cool so far.

-Holland-
10-28-2008, 05:26 AM
Conversion 2 is poop its mere novelty =/.

Toxic or an assorted Hidden power is a much better option for your team.

You will struggle with status, id personally make zapdos this : -

Zapdos@Leftovers
252 HP / 252 SP.DEF / 6 SP.ATT
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden power Ice
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

And it wont matter about toxic being dropped as you can, as said, put that on p2.

As for tenta, i much prefer this spread

203 HP / 108 DEF / 24 SP.ATT / 172 SP.DEF.

Since Mixapes close combat does a crap load to those who dont invest in sp.def (~40% lol), this spread lets you cushion those better.

Ive also never found ANY attacking move other than surf any use on tenta, Knock off/Surf/Rapid Spin/T-Spikes has been impressive especially now since its actually legal with Platifail errm Patinum, but thats up to you.

On zong, hypnosis really isnt any use with t-spikes in all honesty. Trick + Macho Brace is great.

A huge problem for stall team is "last pokemon sweeps", aka you kill their whole team and their last poke is a cune or a lax and they calm mind and curse up respectivly but you cant phaze them due to it being their last poke, Perish Song is an awesome move and you could look to squeeze that in somewhere, but meh.

Wish support would be awesome too.

But yeah it looks cool so far.

Well, I didn't say Toxic myself because Zapdos already had it. I personally just like Conversion2, really, despite how little one may make handy use of it. Besides, Porygon2's movepool isn't exactly spectacular, so there aren't many alternatives, other than Toxic, but then again, this team has a very Defensive Zapdos using Toxic, as well as a Tentacruel to set up Toxic Spikes. It's rather...overkill.

I personally don't really like relegating Zapdos to the role of a sleep absorber, though. A viable option may be something that likes the status, like Heracross, as it'll be a welcome offensive on this team, and will handle most pesky stat-uppers, as a powered-up Heracross is rather devastating with an above-average Special Defense stat. Unlike most, he likes sleeping, and if not, he decimates things with an enormous Attack stat. Then again, this could just be my preference for power speaking much too loudly. Also, Bronzong with Hypnosis is a decent lead, especially for a stall team. It's easy to get Taunted, but fast foes are usually the culprits of this, and they're relatively easy to counter witha defensive team such as this. Thus, Bronzong can come in soon after and sleep something if he has to.

Also, I just kind of picked up on this, but a Swampert with Roar could do well to be somewhere on here, as your team takes Grass attacks extremely well, and Swampert can scare away a lot of irksome stat-uppers that like to ruin the fun. I would say it would do well to go over Skarmory, but that does rob you of Spikes support, so it's up to you to determine your assets here.

TatankaToT
10-28-2008, 06:12 AM

Any team with both magnezone and Weavile owns.

that combo could pick this team apart.

I also have to agree with Diarago that I don't see this team dealing with Gengar very well, especially if one gets a sub up. From experience those guys are not fun to deal with.