PDA

View Full Version : Starter Movesets .

Spikeydrag0
10-29-2008, 09:11 AM
hey ii was just wondering if someone could give me some awesome movesets for the starter pokemon .
ii dont really mind which ones you know because i'm hopin to have them all soon anyways.

thx ^^

Viva la Gofre
10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
hey ii was just wondering if someone could give me some awesome movesets for the starter pokemon .
ii dont really mind which ones you know because i'm hopin to have them all soon anyways.

thx ^^
Competetive or in-game movesets?

Spikeydrag0
10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
well atm i'm still playing in-game as ii reset my game but ii would like to hear whatever you've got really so either will be fine ii just want to get a rough idea of whats good . :)

Viva la Gofre
10-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Since it's for in-game, anthing can work really. The game is aimed at ages 3+ and has AI to match. Just try and go by the staple rules of competetive play:

1) Only one move of any type on a single poke. Any more than one and you significantly limit your coverage.
2) No two-turn moves. They may be powerful, but you're left extremely vulnerable in the following turn. Plus the damage is not that great when you take into acount that it's spread over two turns (For example, frenzy plant does base 150 damage over two turns, whereas using energy ball twice does base 80 damage twice, equalling 160). Solar Beam is kinda usable, since AI very rarely switches so you can pick your moments corretly.
3) Choose moves based on your poke's better stat. For example, solar beam may look promising on troterra, but his attack stat is far better than his special attack.

Keeping those rules in mind should leave you with consistent and reliable movesets =]

As for competetive play, or if you just want to use the movesets as you play through the game, click here for torterra (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/torterra), here for infernape (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape) and here for empoleon (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/torterra) for their most effective competetive movesets. You don't need to worry about EVs and natures until you plan on investing time into competetive team building, so the sets should suffice for now =]

Master Aqua
10-29-2008, 02:38 PM
well mizape works either way try

infernape
grass knot
close combat
flame thrower
hp ice/ thunder punch

Viva la Gofre
10-29-2008, 02:43 PM
well mizape works either way try

infernape
grass knot
close combat
flame thrower
hp ice/ thunder punch
I fail to see what thunder punch does that the other moves cannot...

Master Aqua
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I fail to see what thunder punch does that the other moves cannot...

killing lead/ in general gyaradoses but other than that it's pointless.

Viva la Gofre
10-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Gyara falls into the top-tier of grass knot damage, which hits hard even at neutral. HP ice is only ever really considered over nasty plot because of gliscor and garchomp, the latter of which is gone. Standard sets are fine, there really isn't any need to incorporate an extra atack into the mix which will rarely achieve anything.

Verystrait42
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I quite enjoy HP ice on my wall-breaker mixape.

-Holland-
10-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I quite enjoy HP ice on my wall-breaker mixape.

For me, it often helps to run the full offensive set, since HP Ice nails all Salamence that don't arbitrarily hold a Choice Scarf. Of course, it gets Gliscor badly, but if all you've been throwing out has been Close Combat and Flamethower, he's too afraid to come in. Beside,s if you use Grass Knot and you have the full offensive set, he's dead.

Also, Gyarados is hit very hard by Infernape's Grass Knot, and typically 2HKOs. He can take a Grass Knot to Dragon Dance and then murder Infernape, but Infernape sacrifices a lot of coverage in a metagame where people yearn to be inventive, as it is constantly changing and spawning new counters to different things. If you put Thunderpunch on Infernape to counter the Pokemon that has evoked the most counters to it to arise - save for Garchomp -, you're effectively giving him somewhat of a useless move when he could have something else that covers so much more.