PDA

View Full Version : Help for my team

Artomis
10-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Alright, I'm kinda new to the whole competitive battling thing, so I might have a few things wrong, hence why I'm asking for your help. I pretty much know everything about EV's, IV's, and the items that help build them and such, but my team building skills might need a little work. Alright, here's the list of my party.

(lead)

Forretress - Brave
252 Atk, 144 Sp Def, 112 Def
Stealth Rock
Explosion
Earthquake
Toxic Spikes

(sweepers)

Infernape - Rash
114 Atk, 144 Sp Atk, 252 Speed
Close Combat
Thunder Punch?
Overheat
extreme speed?

Scyther - Adamant
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Arial Ace
Brick Break

Starmie - modest
252 Sp Atk, 252 speed, 6 HP
psychic
surf
ice beam
thunderbolt

(physical reversal)

Lucario - Jolly @ Focus sash
255 Atk, 255 speed
Reversal
detect/endure
counter
extreme speed

(SP wall)

*Umbreon - Calm
252 HP, 252 Sp Def, 6 Speed
confuse ray
moonlight
?
?

*Now realizing that Umbreon is more of a status inducer and are looking for a new SP wall

Any tips would be welcome and appreciated. I will replace pokemon if need be, but I highly like my Lucario and Scyther, so I'd like to keep them :P

Viva la Gofre
10-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Alright, I'm kinda new to the whole competitive battling thing, so I might have a few things wrong, hence why I'm asking for your help. I pretty much know everything about EV's, IV's, and the items that help build them and such, but my team building skills might need a little work. Alright, here's the list of my party.

(lead)

Forretress - Impish/Relaxed (Leftovers)
252HP/162Att/96Def
Stealth Rock
Explosion
Earthquake/Gyro Ball
Toxic Spikes
A -Spd nature is of no help to forry unless you go with gyro ball. EVs need changing- even if you want a suicide lead you need to be able to survive long enough to blow up.
(sweepers)

Infernape - Naive (Life Orb)
24Att/252SpAtt/232 Speed
Close Combat
Grass Knot
Flamethrower
Nasty Plot/HP Ice
You misunderstand the objectives of mixed sweepers such as infernape. Rather than aiming to kill everything on both sides of the spectrum (Which infernape lacks the raw power to do), the majority of EVs and attacks are dedicated to one side of the spectrum (SpAtt) and some minimal investment into the other attacking type cripples walls. This infernape can threaten with its special attacks, but has the exact EV count to OHKO the top special wall (Blissey) with close combat. This therefore removes the opponent's primary special wall and leaves you open to use your special attacks to full extent.

Scyther - Jolly (Life Orb)
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Arial Ace
Brick Break
Nature change required, but otherwise fine. Be sure to have techinician as your ability

Starmie - modest (Choice Specs)
252 Sp Atk, 252 speed, 6 HP
Grass Knot
surf
ice beam
thunderbolt
Psychic has very poor coverage, grass not is the superior option. Otherwise good.

(physical reversal)

Lucario - Adamant@ Salac Berry
255 Atk, 255 speed
Reversal
Endure/Substitute
Crunch
extreme speed
Ghost types laugh at your current set, and counter is a one-time thing anyway. Likewise detect achieves nothing, bar annoying your opponent for a turn. Salac berry for an item, lucario is relatively bulky (For a sweeper) with good typing and is unlikely to be OHKO'd by anything bar another sweeper. Salac gives a chunky speed boost and you have your second move slot to drop your HP down with.

(SP wall)

Blissey@Leftovers
Calm
252Def/216SpDef/40HP or 252Def/176SpDef/80SpAtt
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Thunder Wave
Aromatherapy/Ice Beam

*Now realizing that Umbreon is more of a status inducer and are looking for a new SP wall
Can't really go wrong with blissey. Standard set posted above. 1st EV spread for AromaBliss, 2nd if you're using ice beam

Any tips would be welcome and appreciated. I will replace pokemon if need be, but I highly like my Lucario and Scyther, so I'd like to keep them :P

Changes and item suggestions in bold. You team at the moment is very offensively orientated, possibly too much so. 4 sweepers is overkill and you're only physical wall has a habit of blowing itself up, meaning you're going to have trouble with any physical sweeper with a means of boosting it's own speed. As such I'd recommend not leading with forretress, since he is the only thing on your team who can take any physical hits. Lucario is a one-trick pony, and is left utterly crippled if roared out mid set-up. I'd swap it for a bulky lead like bronzong, who can reduce the strain put on your walls (Since one is incapable of healing and prone to explode).

suckyournan
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
:confused::neutral::eek::crackup:get rid of the scther and starmie get a leafeon or magmotar

suckyournan
11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
get magmotar or a leafeon instead of starmie and scether

Viva la Gofre
11-04-2008, 09:48 PM
And what would that achieve? Randomly spouting out demands is not going to benefit his team if he doesn't know why.

-Holland-
11-05-2008, 12:38 AM

>_>, Two Fire types on a team usually calls for a Rapid Spinner or at least damn good Water and Ground resistances/immunities. Since this team doesn't really have those, those are kind of pointless suggestions, especially since Magmortar typically needs some support to work, and Leafeon would provide support that this team doesn't need anyway.

Besides, without movesets, we won't ever really know what you're getting at.

IceTime
11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Gofre, maybe Psychic is an option on Starmie if hes considering to finish off mixape and hera, since Mixape does do a number on his team granted Lucario's Extremespeed and a Mixape of his own.

Viva la Gofre
11-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Gofre, maybe Psychic is an option on Starmie if hes considering to finish off mixape and hera, since Mixape does do a number on his team granted Lucario's Extremespeed and a Mixape of his own.
Surf is just as powerful on Nape as psychic, and starmie has no business staying in against one of the strongest STAB'd megahorns in the game. Psychic's coverage is limited almost exclusively to fight types, which are hit largely for neutral by the rest of the set and tend not to be too bulky. That set generally yields better coverage.