PDA

View Full Version : Standard Environment Team - Needing Corrections

crystalvelox
11-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Being a newbie to the fourms it is only just that I have a newbie intro. :biggrin:

I started competive battling about 3 months ago in august, never did anything with the previous generation of competive battling and all that time I self taught myself pretty much through experience, yet I still lack experience to make a decent team I can battle well enough I suppose (1:1 win:loss ratio pretty much, which is neither good nor bad I guess). Anyway my teams so far end up being mild in synergy and play moderatly well. So I need some help with my teams, so I can learn more. Alright so edit, critique and rate away.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly; 4 Hp/ 252 Atk/252 Spe
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Taunt
Stealth Rock

Aerodactyl is the fastest user of stealth rock and taunt in the metagame apart from deoxys-Atk/Spe/Neutral which makes it a good lead. Because of this I can set up stealth rock first before anything can stop me which will elimnate all focus sashes on pokemon apart from the lead pokemon, and give a nice bonus damage to anything. Earthquake and rock slide provide decent coverage and neutral damage against a good number of pokemon espically common leads (Rock Slide over Stone Edge for better PP, accuracy and flinch rate). Taunt stops anything from trying to set up. I do not know how much damage a Gyroball from Bronzong or Forretress will do. Focus sash makes sure I can get stealth rock set up.

Jirachi @ Light Clay
Jolly; 252 Hp/ 128 Def/ 128 SpD
U-Turn
Thunder Wave
Reflect
Light Screen

I wanted to use a Dual Screener on this team and wanted it to provide support as well. So that is why I used Jirachi over other pokemon like Uxie and Bronzong. Bronzong does not have thunder wave and uxie has inferior typing despite having levitate. This allows it to have a good defensive spread and fast enough to outspeed certain pokemon with u-turn before they can hurt jirachi, also helps get away from dugtrio and magnazone. I did consider Timid/Icy Wind for the ability to damage grounds and slow them.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold; 252 Hp/252 Def/ 4 SpD
Rest
Surf
Calm Mind
Sleep Talk

This suicune helps with many roles. It can stall, sweep, status absorb and wall certain pokemon. Really there is not much to say about it.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid; 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp
Thunderbolt
Shadow ball
Focus Blast
HP Ice

A choice Scarf Gengar makes an excellent pokemon for revenge-killing. This moveset hits a ton of pokemon for super effective damage like salamence, gyarados, tyranitar, other opposing gengars.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant; Inner Focus; 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Crunch
Close Combat
ExtremeSpeed
Swords Dance

Physical Sweeper 1. With support of paralysis, stealth rock and shields coupled with lucarios ability to nearly OHKO a ton of things after swordsdance means that lucario can sweep/clean up an entire team late game. I have wondered about using stone edge over crunch to be able to hit pokemon like salamence and gyarados that have intimidate.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Adamant; 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Earthquake

Physical Sweeper 2. Really this was just a fill in pokemon that could take care of my fire weakness and ground weakness, plus an insurance policy should lucario happen to fail late game I had a back up, but I think bulky gyarados would do better, although I am not sure. Anyway after dragon dance it will outspeed nearly anything late game save revenge-killers which hopefully where taken out earlier. Stone Edge, Earthquake and Waterfall provide excellent coverage for late game sweeping.

Problems/Considerations: Major problems noticed is a moderate problem with stealth rock being 2 weak/2 neutral and 2 resist. I thought this could be somewhat corrected with changing gyarados with something else of what I am not sure.

Tyranitar as also been a problem noticed which hits my pokemon for super effective damage on bascially everything. Again changing gyarados was my solution.

Heatran can give my team some problems because of that fire weakness.
Also nothing really counters zapdos well.

I have thought of making jirachi more supportive with wish over one of the shields and using leftovers.

The last problem I see is no rapid spinner or rapid spinner counter really. Gengar would get killed by forretress's gyroball and might be able to 2HKO tentacruel, donphan would get 2HKOed by HP Ice, but I think ice shard could 2HKO gengar as well because of the low defences gengar has.

charizard ex
11-06-2008, 05:16 AM
thats a pretty good team but you would probably want to have different types of pokemon because you mainly have water pokemon

crystalvelox
11-06-2008, 05:19 AM
thats a pretty good team but you would probably want to have different types of pokemon because you mainly have water pokemon
Mainly water types? I have only 2 pokemon that are water types (water; water/flying). If you think that is mainly water why not say I have mainly steel as I have equal number of steels as water (Steel/fighting; steel/psychic).

charizard ex
11-06-2008, 05:20 AM
what i meant was that you should have different types of pokemon in your team also i am very bored so do you want to battle

crystalvelox
11-06-2008, 05:25 AM
what i meant was that you should have different types of pokemon in your team also i am very bored so do you want to battle
True, but suicune is like a bulky water can gyarados is different enough from suicune that they have different enough strengths for the same team.

charizard ex
11-06-2008, 05:26 AM
ok so do you want to battle

-Holland-
11-06-2008, 05:51 AM
ok so do you want to battle

>_>

Overall, the team is pretty good, the way I see it...It just kind of bugs me that Jirachi is your Dual Screener, especially when it's as slow as it is. I do see the logic in it, but evened defenses don't usually work as well as you think, especially on Jirachi. You need to lean to one spectrum or the other, usually, so you can either bolster your affinity or patch up your weak spot with the respective screens. As for your Icy Wind suggestion, I don't really recommend it, as the Speed drop is remedied by switching out, and if Jirachi is fainted sometime thereafter, then its effect essentially never existed. You should really only use it if you are worried to death of Taunt (which you shouldn't, since a good portion of your team is offensively oriented, and you have U-Turn to escape with anyway).

As for your final slot, Gyarados is a fine option, but you can keep in mind that Salamence and Dragonite also offer Ground immunities and Fire resistances alike, while still retaining the Rock weaknesses for Lucario and Jirachi to absorb. Physical walls aren't really a problem for your team as it stands, but Porygon2 and Gliscor can give you problems. Thus, mixed sweeping versions of either of the Dragons may benefit you, whatever extent that may be.

crystalvelox
11-06-2008, 07:29 AM
>_>

Overall, the team is pretty good, the way I see it...It just kind of bugs me that Jirachi is your Dual Screener, especially when it's as slow as it is. I do see the logic in it, but evened defenses don't usually work as well as you think, especially on Jirachi. You need to lean to one spectrum or the other, usually, so you can either bolster your affinity or patch up your weak spot with the respective screens. As for your Icy Wind suggestion, I don't really recommend it, as the Speed drop is remedied by switching out, and if Jirachi is fainted sometime thereafter, then its effect essentially never existed. You should really only use it if you are worried to death of Taunt (which you shouldn't, since a good portion of your team is offensively oriented, and you have U-Turn to escape with anyway).

As for your final slot, Gyarados is a fine option, but you can keep in mind that Salamence and Dragonite also offer Ground immunities and Fire resistances alike, while still retaining the Rock weaknesses for Lucario and Jirachi to absorb. Physical walls aren't really a problem for your team as it stands, but Porygon2 and Gliscor can give you problems. Thus, mixed sweeping versions of either of the Dragons may benefit you, whatever extent that may be.
Plus dragonite and salamence do not have electric weakness. Thanks for that suggestions I think I'll switch gyarados for salamence. MixMence sould work well.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Mild; 120 Atk/252 SpA/ 136 Spe
Brick Break
Fire Blast
Crunch
Draco Meteor

And switch wish over reflect and change the EV spread on jirachi to be more physical defensive.

Those seem like decent changes?

-Holland-
11-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Plus dragonite and salamence do not have electric weakness. Thanks for that suggestions I think I'll switch gyarados for salamence. MixMence sould work well.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Mild; 120 Atk/252 SpA/ 136 Spe
Brick Break
Fire Blast
Crunch
Draco Meteor

And switch wish over reflect and change the EV spread on jirachi to be more physical defensive.

Those seem like decent changes?

Well, yeah, since Jirachi makes a damn good Wish Passer with a screen up. Moreover, Salamence's Intimidate essentially acts as a Reflect in and of itself, so you're good. All I would recommend now is to bring Jirachi's Speed up to 244 in order to out-speed Jolly Tyranitar, since he at least scores a super effective hit on U-Turn, and Jirachi will be allowed to at least use a support move before dying, since Tyranitar's Earthquake shouldn't OHKO unless it's insanely powerful with a Choice Band.