PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia Flash

Neo Emolga
03-05-2004, 05:24 PM
For the longest time, I've been using Macromedia Director 8.5 to make Shockwave movies, but after I saw Flash movies were becoming far more widespread than Shockwave ones, I decided to try and switch to Flash, but I've been having a really tough time getting started. At first I thought the two were pretty similar but there are quite a few differences.

Problem is, most of the tutorials are designed for people who have never used either, but I know most of the stuff such as layers and the timeline but it's a pain to have to read it all over again when I know it already.

One thing I'm having trouble with is importing files such as pictures and sound files into the library. I'd rather be able to import pictures from Photoshop rather than try drawing them on Flash itself. Has anyone here worked with Flash before?

Ferret
03-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I've got quite a bit of experience with Flash (From the days of V4).

So erm, Flash MX right? Actually, importing coudln't be easier.
It's just File > Import that throws it straight in the movie, you can also do File > Import to Library. That does, guess what? Import to the library! :rolleyes:

If you don't like how it looks, i.e. not as crisp as the Flash vector art, then you can Modify > Trace Bitmap. This is a brilliant feature that does what it says on the tin.

Neo Emolga
03-10-2004, 05:34 PM
I've got quite a bit of experience with Flash (From the days of V4).

So erm, Flash MX right? Actually, importing coudln't be easier.
It's just File > Import that throws it straight in the movie, you can also do File > Import to Library. That does, guess what? Import to the library! :rolleyes:

If you don't like how it looks, i.e. not as crisp as the Flash vector art, then you can Modify > Trace Bitmap. This is a brilliant feature that does what it says on the tin.

Yeah, actually I figured out how to do that, it is a pretty different system compared to Director. Director had it where you inport into the Cast Window (Director's version of Library) and your file was uploaded. I nearly smacked myself on the head when I realized how easy it was to do it in Flash. Duh... :rolleyes:

But, thanks for your help anyway. I've pretty good with Director and I hope to get just as good, if not better, with Flash.