11-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Whenver i go into a final folder, my comp freezes up. For example:
say i have the following folder layout:
My Documents
My Videos
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Other
Wifi Battles

Well, I go into my documents, click on my videos, then click on ssbb. So far so good. Then i click on others and wifi battles. Once wifi battles comes up, it freezes. Isn't it wierd how its only final folders that freeze?

any idea why this is happening?

edit* i just realized that once the error message comes up, if i simply move it i can work in that folder. But why is the error message coming up?

Sixto
12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Whenver i go into a final folder, my comp freezes up. For example:
say i have the following folder layout:
My Documents
My Videos
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Other
Wifi Battles

Well, I go into my documents, click on my videos, then click on ssbb. So far so good. Then i click on others and wifi battles. Once wifi battles comes up, it freezes. Isn't it wierd how its only final folders that freeze?

any idea why this is happening?

edit* i just realized that once the error message comes up, if i simply move it i can work in that folder. But why is the error message coming up?
What is the error message saying? If you have some sort of virus protection program, you might want to scan the folder for any infected files. You can also try duplicating items and creating a new folder.

MYSTRY MEW
12-02-2008, 08:55 PM
What is the error message saying? If you have some sort of virus protection program, you might want to scan the folder for any infected files. You can also try duplicating items and creating a new folder.

The problem is its every last-folder.

Jack of Clovers
12-02-2008, 09:51 PM
To repeat:
What is the error message saying?

~Jack~

MYSTRY MEW
12-02-2008, 09:53 PM
To repeat:

~Jack~

sorry...
it simply says
Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Jack of Clovers
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
When the error comes up, there will be something that says More Info. What's that say? The error number would help. And how long has this been happening?

Doing some quick searches, it appears the problem is a file within that folder that can't be read. Since you can still access the folder, what you can do is copy/paste each file into a new folder, then open that folder up to see if the error appears. If you do this with each file, when the error finally does come up, you'll know which file is corrupt and needs to be removed.

~Jack~

MYSTRY MEW
12-02-2008, 10:22 PM
When the error comes up, there will be something that says More Info. What's that say? The error number would help. And how long has this been happening?

Doing some quick searches, it appears the problem is a file within that folder that can't be read. Since you can still access the folder, what you can do is copy/paste each file into a new folder, then open that folder up to see if the error appears. If you do this with each file, when the error finally does come up, you'll know which file is corrupt and needs to be removed.

~Jack~

well the error message doesnt say much:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

if you were in the middle of somethign, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell us about this problem
we have created an error report blah de blah de blah.

The error report says

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: xvid.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0001d554

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

ill try what you said about moving them though

Kayden Javlaíakín
12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
A quick search on Google tells me that the xvid.dll, used in the DivX video codec, is responsible for this mess. Basically, if the outdated codec hasn't been used in a while, and you're viewing a folder with DivX files in it, the Windows Explorer hangs on trying to generate thumbnails for the file. I've gathered that uninstalling the codec and then installing a newer version can resolve this.

EDIT: Perhaps this will be of more help:
http://www.xvidmovies.com/faq/#3.4

I hope this helps you. :)