PDA

View Full Version : sandstorm squads: pros and cons??

androidspud
11-30-2008, 02:53 PM
just wondering how a "sandstorm squad" works in battle and what are the good and bad points of having one??

Shaolin1290
11-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Well, in my opinion:

The good:
-Kills focus sashers
-gives rock pokemon 50% spD boost
-gives certain pokemon evasion boosts
-some gradual damage
-There are A LOT of pokemon to choose from with rock, steel, or ground types, which makes getting a balanced team easier

The bad:
-not very effective for stalling because too many pokemon resist sanstorm
-Very common pokemon (gliscor and tyranitar) on the other team can also get your boosts
-Lots of rock/grounds are slow
-common weaknesses, though not too bad
-rock/ground pokemon have 2 common double weaknesses, which is sad because most of them are so good.
-can't really think of many rock/grounds with priority that can make up for their slowness

I like stalling, which is why i made a hail team, which you can check out, from earlier.

However, I also like sandstorm teams. Just for fun, whenever I get around to it, I am going to make a team, so you can wait for it if you like.

If you're going to make a sandstorm team, make SURE you have tyranitar, hippowdon, and regirock

Shaolin1290
11-30-2008, 03:30 PM
and as for how it works:
basically, thanks to tryranitar and gliscor, sandstorm teams are generally made up of huge sweepers with one or two walls of rock type that get special defense boosts

Viva la Gofre
11-30-2008, 03:32 PM
just wondering how a "sandstorm squad" works in battle and what are the good and bad points of having one??
Sandstorm teams tend to be a bit more defensive than regular teams, relying on latent damage to continually wear down the opponent. Hippowdon, possibly the more common of the two sandstreamers carries stealth rock as standard so entry hazards are common aswell. Sandstorm offers a lot more defense-based perks than hail, most notably the +50% to rock type's SpDef stat, turning things like regirock (Base 200Def, base 100SpDef) into amazing mixed tanks.

However the best way of messing up a sandstorm team is by only picking pokes that are immune to it's effects- many pokes function well in sandstorm despite losing health to it- blissey for example is a consistent special wall and has lefties to negate SS damage and softboiled for proper recovery.

Cons include the tendancy to rely on rocks/grounds/steels as mentioned above, which leads to grass types and fighting types rapidlly becoming a menace. One should never be afraid to risk damage yourself, so long as the majority of the team is hindered. Another thought to consider is that the boosts work both ways- your opponent's rock types will also gain the SpDef boost and anything with sand veil suddenly becomes harder to hit. However this comes with the territory and you just have to make sure that you capitalise on the weather as much as possible.

Click here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127457) for a guide written by a friend of mine about how to make best use of a weather team, I found it very helpful on the occasions I attempted a team like this.

androidspud
11-30-2008, 04:44 PM
cool thanks.

put a rush on that hail squad :tongue: kidding. yeh im gonna have a read of that building a weather team now. i should look at changing some of my mon, the pokemon i have just now that would be in a SS squad are tyranitar, flygon, aerodactyl and im breeding just now for the right natured gliscor ( would i be better with hyper cutter or sand veil? probabbly sand veil considering the purpose of the sqaud right? ) i think i might ditch aerodactyl though, he's one of my sweepers and he normally puts stelth rock into play right off the bat, but like alot of sweepers he falls quickly. what nature would be best for regirock? i have one i transfered from ruby but i dont think his stats are that impressive, he hasn't been ev trained at all.

im going for an impish natured gliscor (smogen told me too) and i think he might be a potential wall for the squad, although im usnsure of what moveset would suit him.

also was looking at rock tomb and sand tomb. i know they're not very strong attacks at first glance but if you calculate the damage they can do if they manage to last 5 turs + STAB bonus they could make quit a dent if used propperly right? plus rock toomb lowering speed would help for slow rock types and sand tomb's trapping ability would be handy if you have the upper hand on the opponent.

of course these are all thoughts. i'll have a look at that weather squad building guide and see if im thinking good thoughts or if i need less sugar in my diet :grin:

Viva la Gofre
11-30-2008, 06:35 PM
However the best way of messing up a sandstorm team is by only picking pokes that are immune to it's effects-

^^^That's what you're doing right now.

Of the pokes you have listed (Flygon, aero, TTar and Gliscor), none of them can take fighting, grass, water or ice attacks. I cannot stress enough how you do not need an entire team of pokes that don't get hurt by sand, you must concentrate on covering weaknesses first.

androidspud
11-30-2008, 07:09 PM
yeh i figured that would be a problem when almost none of them appeared in the guide you posted the link for. gonna need to take a long hard look at my options. i take back what i said about my regirocks stats he has pretty good def ans sp.def stats. i think him and dusknoir would make good walls fro my squad. was looking at the posibilityies of a hail squad too.

what i need is a lineup where i can get sanstorm and stelth rock in play quickly ( so probabbly a hippowdon ) , might want to get spikes in play too, but i dont wanna waste to many mon setting all this stuff up. perhaps a blissey to soak up attacks and dish out some damage too, perhaps even throw in some stat moves, or maybe another wall to do that. then i suppose i would need some sweepers that make use of sand veil

gonna go have a look now.