PDA

View Full Version : Example sandstorm team. rate if you like

Shaolin1290
11-30-2008, 04:22 PM
This is the example sandstorm team i promised androidspud.
It shows pretty much the basic layout of every sandstorm team.

Hippowdon @leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def
Stealth Rock
Slack off
Earthquake
Roar

*yawn*Ö standard hippo lead. Set up Stealth rock and physical wall

Tyranitar @leftovers
252 Hp, 40 Speed, 210 Attack
Substitute
Focus punch
Crunch
Ice fang

Again, standard tyraniboah

Regirock@ leftovers
250 Hp, 70 Def, 80 attk
Thunder wave
Stone Edge
Superpower
Thunder Punch

Just a big tank with his through the roof defense and also through the roof special defense because of sandstormís SpD boost. Thunder wave to help out gliscor

Empoleon @leftovers
252 HP, 252 SpD,
Surf
Ice beam
Grass knot
Hydro cannon/Yawn

Again, sandstorm teams are just so standard. Empoleon special walls a bit and resists water, grass, and ice for my team

Gliscor @leftovers (Sand Veil)
252 HP, 252 Speed
Baton Pass
Swords Dance
Roost
Earthquake

Gliscor can threaten an opponent by looking like a sweeper and then pass a swords dance to tyranitar or regirock without them knowing what hit them. Thunder wave helps him come in from regirock.

That pretty much sums up the general sandstorm team: 3 sweepers and 2 tanks and hippo. I threw gliscor in to attempt to mix things up, but sandstorm teams are so predictable that it is virtually impossible to mix them up or use suprise.

Also, if empoleon went down, this team would have no defense whatsoever to water/ice.

So, in my opinion, the best way to counter a sandstorm team is:
1) switch to a water/ice pokemon that is a sweeper
2) Have that switch in set up by substituting, swords dancing, or all manner of things to do to kill or cripple that water/ice absorbing pokemon. smoothe sailing from there.

The best canidates for this kinda strategy would be in my opinion:
Baton passing Vaporeon
Cursing Slowking
Calm Minding Slowbro
definately suicune (duh)

Viva la Gofre
11-30-2008, 06:45 PM
This is a bad example of a sandstorm team for a beginner in the area. Grass and fighting laugh at you in particular, you have 3 pokes that are weak to each and no resist to either because you're so hung up on trying to evade sandstorm, you've ignored the more pressing weaknesses- like what's actually gonna kill you. What's more important- having a poke that can sponge choice-banded close combats, or being able to use your leftovers? Because by doing the second part, you've neglected the first. Next, by limiting your choices to just sand-immune pokes, you've reduced your choices of special wall to the pathetic likes of empoleon, who further bolsters the weaknesses mentioned above and cannot heal.

Rather than strapping a poor example together off the top of your head, it would be more beneficial to androidspud if he were to compose his own team and get a proper critique. That way he could learn from his own mistakes rather than copying yours.

androidspud
11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
hippowdon
tenticruel
dusknoir
garchomp
cradily

hows that??

i put it together using the team builder on marriland and it showed the fewest weakneses as far as i could see.

Viva la Gofre
11-30-2008, 09:41 PM
hippowdon
tenticruel
dusknoir
garchomp
cradily

hows that??

i put it together using the team builder on marriland and it showed the fewest weakneses as far as i could see.
Garchomp is banned. Compose and post a full RMT so we can fully judge the team- it's very difficult to do so with just knowing the pokes.

androidspud
11-30-2008, 10:29 PM
RMT???

gonna hve to show my newbie stripes and ask waht that means i'm afraid :confused:

and why is garchomp banned???? i suppose my next choice would be gliscor :ermm:

P.S. is there somewere i can learn all these quick phrases like RMT etc. ???

Starkipraggy
12-01-2008, 12:56 AM
RMT???

gonna hve to show my newbie stripes and ask waht that means i'm afraid :confused:

and why is garchomp banned???? i suppose my next choice would be gliscor :ermm:

P.S. is there somewere i can learn all these quick phrases like RMT etc. ???
Read stickys in this forum and in Strategies and Movesets. :x

RMT is rate my team.

Shaolin1290
12-01-2008, 03:40 AM
well i wasn't really aware that any other sandstorm teams existed. every sandstorm team i have ever seen looked almost exactly like this. all sweepers and no strategy. it always disgusted me.

I agree, the team's weakness is horrible if properly countered.

Idk... I think i am just very biased against sandstorm teams. My hail team is more balanced if you want to check it out

Shaolin1290
12-01-2008, 03:47 AM
[QUOTE=Gofre;2557489] you have 3 pokes that are weak to each and no resist to either because you're so hung up on trying to evade sandstorm [QUOTE]

uh...
first of all, this team was made in 7 mins. cut me some slack.
second, i left out a 6th, so i would have tried to balance weaknesses with that one.
it took me a week to plan out and balance my hail team against possible threats, so gimme a break!

you can't deny that this is a common-as-you-can-get sandstorm team. I only chose to go with a paralysis clause over toxic or toxic spikes because i find sandstorm not as reliable for stalling as hail, while an evasive gliscor with paralysis support looks good to me.

froslass does that job much better though.

Viva la Gofre
12-01-2008, 07:01 AM
and why is garchomp banned????

Garchomp wasobscenly powerful and capable of boosting this further with swords dance, he was extremely fast and unusally bulky for a sweeper. There is no counter for him in OU so he was bumped up to uber.

well i wasn't really aware that any other sandstorm teams existed. every sandstorm team i have ever seen looked almost exactly like this. all sweepers and no strategy. it always disgusted me.

I agree, the team's weakness is horrible if properly countered.

Idk... I think i am just very biased against sandstorm teams. My hail team is more balanced if you want to check it out

Then all you have seen are abysmal attempts at sandstorm teams, and not one that is properly counstructed. A team's general weaknesses always come before avoiding that teeny weeny bit of damage sand does to you. You have to choose what you want to endure- the 8% damage sandstorm does, or the 70% damage a decent grass move will do to every poke you throw at it.

you have 3 pokes that are weak to each and no resist to either because you're so hung up on trying to evade sandstorm [QUOTE]

uh...
first of all, this team was made in 7 mins. cut me some slack.
second, i left out a 6th, so i would have tried to balance weaknesses with that one.
it took me a week to plan out and balance my hail team against possible threats, so gimme a break!

As I said at the bottom of my original post, it's better for adroidspud to create a team himself and properly think it out, rather than copy an example that you admittedly threw together as quickly as possible.

you can't deny that this is a common-as-you-can-get sandstorm team.

Yes I can. I don't know what kind of teams you've been looking at, but anybody who only uses sand-immune pokemon at the expense of leaving glaring weaknesses is quite simply an idiot. I'm a member of several forums, and the general quality of the RMTs here does not match up to those at sites like smogon (www.smogon.com) or pokecommunity (www.pokecommunity). I recommend joining those sites thoroughly, their forums are a lot more active with a lot more people. You will soon see all manner of teams and how they should be constructed properly.

Yeah...

androidspud
12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
rate my team...

i feal extra stupid now, it would have to be something so simple i wouldn't get it lol.

i probably wont be battling an any REAL competitive way im jsut gonig up against friedns over wi-fi so i could probably get away with garchomp. im gonna have a long look at smogon today and figure out what natures, items and movsets i should have. i might make a RMT thread fr the final squad i come up so watch out for that.

also thanks again for all the help from yuo guys especially gofre.

i might look at a hail squad altenative too.

androidspud
12-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Hippowdon @leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def
Stealth Rock
Slack off
Earthquake
Roar

tenticruel @black sludge
204 HP,96 SpA, 172 SpD, 36 Spe
rest
sleep talk
surf
toxic spikes

dusknoir @ leftovers
252 HP, 232 Atk, 24 Def
focus punch
substitute
shadow sneak
fire punch / wil-o-wisp

not sure if i should use fire punch or wil-o-wisp, the squad is built around sandstorm so i suppose burning a foe cant help.

gliscor@ ???
252 HP, 12 Atk, 28 Def, 218 Spe
Swords Dance
Roost
Earthquake
Stone Edge / Baton Pass

taking the speed tank option, not sure about what item to give it though. dont really like the idea of every mon carrying leftovers, is that a bad thing??

cradily@ ???
252 HP, 240 Def, 16 SpD
Rock Slide
Toxic / Earthquake
Rest
Sleep Talk

once agian unsure about the item. with cradily's high defence ans hp and the abiltiy to rest and sleep talk he makes for a good wall. my concern of having sleep talk is that when i've used it in the past the move is picked at random so the mon cna try to rest while it's already alseep or may tory to poison an already poisoned foe/ stell type.

i did say i would start another thread for this but whats the point really. thsi team is still in the planning stages so any sugestions for altenative movsets/ mon are welcome.

....hold on thats only 5!!!!

Heatran @ choice scarf
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
Explosion

unsure of this moveset, i saw hidden power electric in another moveset, wonder if that may be better suited than ice or grass.

Viva la Gofre
12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Androidspud, post the team in a seperate thread so it doesn't get confusing between the two topics.