PDA

View Full Version : Topped at #1 on Smogon: Curselax Team

Astamatitos
12-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Team at a Glance
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa142.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa462.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa143.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa373.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa376.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa145.png

Introduction

Am introducing you the team that i have been using the past 2 months, it is also the team that has helped me both climb as well as remain in the top5 of the leaderboard for pretty much the same time i have been using it.
The team focuses on mainly boosting Snorlax's sweeping capabilities to the maximun by simply removing out of the game anything that would potentially stop it from Curse sweeping the game later on.
Of course if somehow due to my own stupidity i lose Snorlax early on the game's not over for me as i have a lot of other aces under my sleeves.
Not wanting to blabber too much...

The Team

http://atqonline.com/images/sprites/4/pm1/142.png
Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Toxic / Earthquake
- Taunt

Standard Aerodactyl. Why? Because it deos everything my team needs, let me elaborate:
-First, it stops the enemy team from setting Stealth Rocks down. Something that both my Zapdos and Salamence benefit of.
-It sets up it's own SR which comes really handy for me as my team forces a lot of switches.
-It lures in Scizor and to a lesser extent Forretress (As forry is less used nowadays) like a meal served in silver plate for Magnezone.

Am switching inbetween Toxic and Earthquake all the time.
Toxic can screw up Hippowdon and Swampert whereas Earthquake comes handy when am facing opponent DDtars which is pretty much it.

http://atqonline.com/images/sprites/4/pm1/462.png
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 44 Atk/252 Spd/212 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion

Uses of Magnezone:
Traps and KOes Scizor.
Traps and Koes Lucario after it has used Close Combat or if it's on low hp.
Traps and KOes Earthquake-less Bronzong.
This is pretty much what Magnezone does for me and this is why it is also irreplaceable on the team.

Can switch in on various of things thanks to its cool typing while forcing switch outs or catching Pokemon off guard and killing them. (See: Gengar)
Explosion is there in cases i need a fast explosion while it can be also used in order to clear out Blissey late game (After Magnezone has done his job killing all of the opponent steels) allowing Zapdos to go rampant.

http://atqonline.com/images/sprites/4/pm1/143.png
Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 204 HP/52 Atk/252 Def
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Fire Punch / Crunch

The team is centered around Snorlax.
Am mostly taking out everything that could prove to be a problem to a late game Curselax sweep in the forms of Magnezone trapping steels and Metagross Pursuiting Ghosts including many other things.

Return over Body Slam as it allows me to win the Curse vs DD wars.
Fire Punch hits both Ghosts and Steels hard although since am taking out the Steels with Magnezone, Earthquake doesn't seem like a bad option at first but my team is not Rotom-H friendly at all.
I've tried Crunch but then i ended up having to switch out Snorlax because of Lucarios's that haven't entered the battle earlier in order to trap them with Magnezone.

Evs Explanation:
Careful Nature because it gives me more Evs to use on other stats.
512 HP is a leftovers number.
Maximun Defense because Snorlax is taking mostly Physical hits in D/P (see: Outrage, Waterfall from Gyarados, Close Combats after a Curse boost or two).
Rest in Attack as they give Snorlax more of a Punch.

http://atqonline.com/images/sprites/4/pm1/373.png
Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Scarfmence is a total beast should it be used with the right team. It comes in late game and sweeps freely simply because Outrage is a broken move, and without any Pokemon left to resist it (thanks to Magnezone) the opponent isn't left with any other options than sacrificing things.
It is my revenge killer to a ton of things such as Gyarados, Kingdra, Skymin,, +1DDtars among a lot of others.

I used to have Fire Blast over Stone Edge on this Salamence but VIL suggested SE instead as it would allow me to finish off an opponent DDed Gyarados with without being forced to Outrage.

http://atqonline.com/images/sprites/4/pm1/376.png
Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 HP/76 Atk/224 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Pursuit

Switches in on Gengar's Shadow ball/Focus Blast and Pursuits away as it switches out. Should it stay in and try it's luck i would Bullet Punch next to finish it. Gengar been out of the game is pretty vital to my team as Gengar can ruin my Snorlax's fun late game as Fire Punch does not immediately OHKO and Focus Blast can 2hko in return as well.

Metagross is a really useful Pokemon for this team as not only it gives me a priority attack in the form of Bullet Punch and an indirect attacking move in the forms of pursuit, it also provides good Rock resistance and a backup counter to opponent DDtars that cause me some trouble.
Earthquake has proven to be a really useful team as it has caught a lot of Heatran's off guard.
Explosion is great. Not much needs to be said about it.

http://atqonline.com/images/sprites/4/pm1/145.png
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/76 Def/180 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Roar

My fighting resist should my opponent have a fighting type other than Lucario.

Roar is a great move on Zapdos as not only it phazes away stat boosters and things that try to get a substitute on my switch out, it also abuses Stealth Rock. I've found roar to be proven godsend in cases i was forced to stall games with just it and Snorlax.
HP Ice isn't needed on Zapdos ever since Garchomp moved to ubers so i've decided to use Heat Wave as Fire moves are great on defensive walls nowadays.
Snorlax + Zapdos is a great combo on it's own as Zapdos resists the fighting attacks directed to Snorlax and Snorlax can switch in on Ice/Electric/Fire moves directed to Zappy.

Threat list to be added soon..

Feel free to Rate/Share/Do whatever. ;)

SaviorSephiroth
12-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Oh man nice team. The centralization on Curselax is perfectly formed, countering all his counters.
Just be careful with some No Guard Machamps.

I'm testing right now this team. :)

~SS

Pokemon_Ron
12-05-2008, 02:04 AM
nice team man...u got pretty much all weaknesses covered.very smart strategy with snorlax and if he faints ur still covered

Astamatitos
12-05-2008, 12:52 PM
The only weaknesses i've spotted on this team is Rhyperior and to a lesser extend Gyarados. Rhyperior can be still worked around should you use Intimidate paired with Metagross correctly while Magnezone can OHKO with Flash Cannon.

Gyarados poses a threat only if i somehow mess up and he gets up 2 DDs (even after a DD both Aerodactyl and Scarfmence outspeed), but then again, what team has good odds against a +2 DD'ed Gyara :p

-Holland-
12-06-2008, 09:57 PM
The only weaknesses i've spotted on this team is Rhyperior and to a lesser extend Gyarados. Rhyperior can be still worked around should you use Intimidate paired with Metagross correctly while Magnezone can OHKO with Flash Cannon.

Gyarados poses a threat only if i somehow mess up and he gets up 2 DDs (even after a DD both Aerodactyl and Scarfmence outspeed), but then again, what team has good odds against a +2 DD'ed Gyara :p

Well, I was just curious, but do you use Metagross to deal with the Rotom forms? Of all things in the metagame, those always manage to screw me over, either from paralysis, burns, Overheat, Leaf Storm, Choice Scarf and Trick...whatever. Even though Metagross has he Lum Berry, he can be statused again after he's hit a first time, as he'll be slower, and Pursuit will be a 2HKO at best. I'm really only asking because you emphasized that it specifically counters Gengar, but an Overheat from Rotom can still do an exorbitant amount of damage to Metagross.

Astamatitos
12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I usually handle Rotoms with Snorlax should they lack Trick, otherwise i will be trying to force them to trick something first and then bring Lax. Metagross can pursuit the Rotoms as well unless it's the Overheat one.

-Holland-
12-09-2008, 12:08 AM
I usually handle Rotoms with Snorlax should they lack Trick, otherwise i will be trying to force them to trick something first and then bring Lax. Metagross can pursuit the Rotoms as well unless it's the Overheat one.

Oh, right, I forgot about Thick Fat. That's usually what I have to do, but more often than not, I find that they have Will-O-Wisp to screw over physical attackers and spread generally unwanted status, barring maybe Machamp or Heracross to an extent.

Shaolin1290
12-14-2008, 08:20 PM
make sure you look me up on shoddy. i have a certain team that would have a GREAT battle with this. they would be matched up perfectly.

my sn is shaolin1290 there too. is yours the same as your screen name here?

Shaolin1290
12-14-2008, 08:33 PM
ya know, looking at your team i just realized that you have no answer for heatran. magnezone can't stop it and it will LOL at metagross (its slightly faster). Salamance will help absorb a fire attack, but heatran's overheat is so powerful that it will still take a big chunk out of it (trust me, i was SO suprised when it took a nice chunk outta my suicune). after b@#$ slapping salamence it will just switch out and wait for magnezone or metagross again.

Something to consider, but otherwise your team is very well thought out.

Verystrait42
12-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Looking through your list, YacheDDMence seems better in most situations.

-Holland-
12-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Can you please stop double-posting? It's against the rules, and it's kind of annoying when you keep doing that. Just edit your first post and add stuff in. Trust me, we'll see it...>_>

EDIT: Well, Dragon Dance being a move is what ruins the usefulness of a Choice Scarf on Salamence, since without it, he still gets the crucial Speed boost, while retaining a moveset that allows versatility between Dragon Claw and Outrage. Moreover, Dragon Dance takes a whole turn of setup, and while he will survive an Ice attack, Tyranitar's Stone Edge still murders him (plus, he could have gotten a Dragon Dance at some point, so he would be faster if you had to put up a Dragon Dance yourself). On other teams, yes, that's a good strategy, but it works especially well with this team, since he goes so well with Magnezone (they resist each other's weaknesses), and Snorlax is taking enough time as it is setting up himself. I know the Choice Scarf seems kind of worthless because of Dragon Dance, but to come in and immediately outspeed all the fastest OU threats and threaten them with 405 Attack and a 180 Base Power move without any setup at all is rather invaluable. Trust me, I've been using Scarfed Salamence for a long time.

Viva la Gofre
12-14-2008, 09:22 PM
ya know, looking at your team i just realized that you have no answer for heatran. magnezone can't stop it and it will LOL at metagross (its slightly faster). Salamance will help absorb a fire attack, but heatran's overheat is so powerful that it will still take a big chunk out of it (trust me, i was SO suprised when it took a nice chunk outta my suicune). after b@#$ slapping salamence it will just switch out and wait for magnezone or metagross again.

Something to consider, but otherwise your team is very well thought out.
So salamence cant stop heatran with a quad-strength earthquake even though the specs set is outsped and the scarf set isn't strong enough to OHKO?

Thats news to me :S

-Holland-
12-14-2008, 09:41 PM
So salamence cant stop heatran with a quad-strength earthquake even though the specs set is outsped and the scarf set isn't strong enough to OHKO?

Thats news to me :S

Well, I see a lot of people running Substitute sets, since they bring in Heatran on something they know is Choiced and put it up as they switch. Between Hidden Power Ice, Earth Power, and Lava Plume/Flamethrower/Fire Blast, he can mess up this team pretty badly if played by a smart person. It's a rather situational thing, sure, but like Gengar, in a way, you never know what Heatran's trying to do. But, if that does happen, Magnezone can probably Thunderbolt the Substitute to get rid of it (since Heatran wouldn't be able to switch out), and Salamence can revenge kill it, provided it doesn't have an Earthquake resists/immunity to switch with it. I just thought I'd mention, since it's happened to me, and it's awful if he starts manhandling your Steel types.

Shaolin1290
12-16-2008, 02:46 AM
well, what he said. heatran probably wouldnt hand your a$$ to you, but he would present a problem.

and i would appreciate less sarcasm from mr. high and mighty. if your ignorant enough to believe that heatran is stupid enough to stay in and take an earthquake up the butt i suggest you don't lecture me. salamence is also scarved btw.

Starkipraggy
12-16-2008, 03:36 AM
well, what he said. heatran probably wouldnt hand your a$$ to you, but he would present a problem.

and i would appreciate less sarcasm from mr. high and mighty. if your ignorant enough to believe that heatran is stupid enough to stay in and take an earthquake up the butt i suggest you don't lecture me. salamence is also scarved btw.
But Salamence can still stick around to force Heatran out, that's why. Choiced Heatran can down Salamence in one hit, but will be killed immediately by Magnezone due to it being locked into HP Ice or Dragon Pulse unless Salamence was at low HP.

I believe you should show some respect as well. Better battler or not, sportsmanship and ettiquette demands that you respect fellow battlers.

hiroto
12-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi, that is an awesome team! looks very tough to beat...

The only thing I see that could be a problem is Swampert with stealth rock/roar. He can set up easily during battle when aerodactyl is out. An agility metagross with mash/eq/ice punch could sweep ur team if it sets up and with enough speed evs it can outspeed scarf salamence i think (but i don't see ppl use that moveset much).

Mystery The Fated
12-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Ah, I favor the centralization around a "sweeper" as it forces your opponent to follow your script. With the current metagame pretty much setting in stone the need for a sturdy steel type or the occasional rock type, Magnezones useage in a battle is fairly well. A nice well rounded team

Astamatitos
12-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the comments so far guys. :)

TatankaToT
12-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I see a couple of ways that it that you could have played it, but what did you find was the best strategy against No Guard Machamp? I ask because more than half of the team is weak to the popular sets with both dyn-punch/cross chop and Stone Edge.

-Holland-
12-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I see a couple of ways that it that you could have played it, but what did you find was the best strategy against No Guard Machamp? I ask because more than half of the team is weak to the popular sets with both dyn-punch/cross chop and Stone Edge.

Salamence can probably Intimidate it on a switch from Magnezone, and then switch off to Zapdos to take care of it, because I believe Zapdos is bulky enough to take Stone Edge and Roost when needed. If anything, Salamence would have to come back in and use Outrage/Dragon Claw to finish it off or strip off whatever HP it's got left.

Lakota2
12-28-2008, 07:59 AM
I use No Guard Champ myself, and Stone edge isn't near a OHKO on that tricked out Big Bird. Things get even more annoying, because your opponent can roost you out if he needs to. Then when you take into consideration Zapdos's pressure nature and the low pp of both attacks, things can go downhill fast for the brawny fighter if you're not careful.

Starkipraggy
12-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Since we're on No Guard Champ, I still can't beat it because of the stupid 100% con chance from Dynamic Punch. Any tips on this?

-Holland-
12-29-2008, 03:26 AM
Since we're on No Guard Champ, I still can't beat it because of the stupid 100% con chance from Dynamic Punch. Any tips on this?

If it pisses you off that much, make Slowbro your physical tank.

Starkipraggy
12-29-2008, 12:11 PM
If it pisses you off that much, make Slowbro your physical tank.
But Slowbro tends to get butthurt by everything *else* too. I considered Slowking, but I didn't like any set. :x

ChrisDPG
12-29-2008, 12:39 PM
But Slowbro tends to get butthurt by everything *else* too. I considered Slowking, but I didn't like any set. :x
Expert belted gengar with psychic is butt secks.

Shadow Ball
Psychic
Focus Blast
Your choice

Or a Dusknoir with willowisp really screws Machamp.

Btw, I looked over this team and really couldn't find weaknesses to it that aren't covered by others. This would screw me over anytime :P