PDA

View Full Version : Relatively Old Shoddy Team

-Holland-
12-05-2008, 01:30 AM
I used this team a long while ago, and really, it was absolutely golden, since it lost whenever I made stupid mistakes. However, now, it's a little bit defective, and I've changed it around a bit to fare better, but it'd be nice to get some commentary and see what was wrong with it...

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpffsb/dpffsb407.png
Roserade [Meridius]
@Focus Sash
Natural Cure
Timid, 252 Sp. Att., 252 Speed, 6 HP
- Sleep Powder
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Fire
- Toxic Spikes

Your generic support lead Roserade, but it works extremely well, and can even assault most Taunting leads, 2HKO'ing both Gyarados and Aerodactyl with Grass Knot. Honestly, this was my best attempt at a reliable sleeper lead, since Sleep Powder isn't plagued by the awful accuracy that looms with Hypnosis.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb373.png
Salamence [Aerodynamic]
@Life Orb
Intimidate
Lonely, 252 Sp. Att., 176 Speed, 80 HP
- Brick Break
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethower
- Roost

Granted, he's not that great-looking, but he works, and naming him after an awesome Daft Punk song vindicates that fact. This is my take on the Mixed Salamence, and given that he retains even more Attack points with this set than he does with the standard, I left it this way because it allowed him to stay relatively powerful while boosting his Speed to outrun neutral Speed Lucario, who he can switch in on to lower his Attack and slaughter him with Brick Break. Honestly, I would trash this thing for Dragonite if he had Intimidate (because Dragonite's way more badass), but Salemence is much more versatile.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfsb/dpmfsb437.png
Bronzong [Belgrade]
@Light Clay
Levitate
Relaxed, 252 HP, 8 Att., 64 Def., 186 Sp. Def.
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Due to Stealth Rock, this Bronzong is mostly defensive, and should the screens be shattered or go down, he'll need to come back in to repair things, although the lack of recovery does hinder this instance. The loss of Explosion never really hurts however, as Stealth Rock makes my faster Pokemon deal with others much easier.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfsb/dpmfsb145.png
Zapdos [Starlight]
@Choice Scarf
Pressure
Modest, 252 Sp. Att., 252 Speed, 6 HP
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-Turn

Generally the standard Scarf Zapdos, but stronger, since the lack of strength from defensive versions used to screw me over. Ever since using this version, it hasn't really let me down, since the versatility in moves helps him to destroy a lot of random threats. Most importantly, it allows him to decimate some Togekiss faster than they can Roost the damage off, if they risk it.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb230.png
Kingdra [Leviathan]
@Leftovers
Swift Swim
Modest, 252 Sp. Att., 252 Speed, 6 HP
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

If you tell me that something is fundamentally wrong with this (except some minor dispute over Dragon Pulse or Ice Beam), then I will stop playing Pokemon forever.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb068.png
Machamp [Gilgamesh]
@Choice Band
Guts
Adamant, 236 HP, 252 Att., 16 Def., 6 Speed
- Close Combat
- Payback
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch

If anything, this is my solution to what I consider the most annoying Pokemon behind Sky Shaymin and Togekiss: the Rotom forms. He takes Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave no problem, and OHKOs back with Payback and that low Speed, and even pulls it off without a Guts boost, thanks to a fantastic 591 Attack. More than just a Rotom counter, though, Machamp is a solid attacking force that can obliterate anything that isn't careful with it. Also, with the EVs, I'm a little paranoid, so since his Defense was so close to 200 as it was, I gave it the EVs to be at 200, and allocated the final point to Speed to outspeed Blissey (if anything).

So yeah, that's the team. Tear it apart, please.

Viva la Gofre
12-06-2008, 03:10 PM
No glaring weaknesses and the set's seem solid, so no problems there. Salamence wants 72 Attack EVs so that brick break will do 58% to blissey, a 2HKO taking lefties into account.

Your Bronzong seems to have got stuck somewhere in the middle of SupportZong and Dual-Screen Bronzong- Gyro Ball alone doesn't offer the necersarry coverage so you'll need to compramise slightly. The dual screen variant wants 252HP/152Att/8Def/96SpDef and EQ/Explosion over stealth rock. Alternatively you could put earthquake over one of the screens and poor more EVs into its respective set to find a better balance between the two. Or you could just use standard support set and run hypnosis and EQ over the screens with Sassy@252HP/86Att/80Def/192SpDef. EVs allow you to OHKO weavile and ScarfGar.

I would scrap rain dance on kingdra, it screws over zapdos' rain dance. However if you do keep it run 252SpAtt/92HP/164Spd- 164 is more than enough to outrun pretty much everything.

Overall a nice solid team. Just be wary of DDMence in case you lose your own, since is hits 3 more of your team for super effective and kingdra won't be able to outspeed it without a RD behind it.

-Holland-
12-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I'm the experimental type, so I never quite figured out what Brick Break was actually doing to Blissey, but I'll take that into account.

With Bronzong, I think I really needed something to help me hold out against powerful sweepers that were already setting up or were about to. Quite frankly, I'm realizing that only truly applies to physical sweepers like Lucario and Scizor. So, based on the circumstances, I think I can trash Light Screen. Besides, with this Bronzong, I just wanted to boost my Defenses before something bad happened, so I think Gyro Ball and Explosion as the only attacks would suffice, since the intent is to support the team and get out. Based on the standard dual screen variant and using only Reflect, I think I can change the nature to Sassy while keeping the EVs the same, and running Gyro Ball, Explosion, Reflect, and Stealth Rock. I really only say Stealth Rock because it's helped out Kingdra a lot, turning many 2HKOs into OHKOs (especially on Zapdos), but I can probably forgo it and change the set to be more directly defensive.

Also, given that Rain Dance is nowhere else on this team than on Kingdra, I think it's necessary on his set, especially since he's sturdy enough to do it on his own. And, as for Dragon Dance Salamence, he's actually the reason I have a Choice Scarf Zapdos, since he can come in on the first Dragon Dance (DDMence usually has 270/280 Speed, so they won't tie) and either destroy him or force him out. Of course, I may have a problem in case he uses Outrage, but Bronzong can resist it and likely KO Salamence somewhat effectively.