PDA

View Full Version : Patriotism

Turd Fighter Deluxe
06-22-2005, 01:35 AM
What do you think of Patriotism? I think its bullsiht. I hate the government and the elections are rigged.

Inferno
06-22-2005, 03:07 AM
What exactly is patriotism to you?
Then I'll know how to answer that.

Turd Fighter Deluxe
06-22-2005, 03:16 AM
Two or moe of these things:
Loyalty to your contry, like supporting the government for everything and stuff... ...having a flag of that contry outside your house... ...buying only stuff from the country... ...No nonsence about your government... ...standing up for your contry in an argument... ...and others I cant think of at the moment...

Like Americans!

Smurf
06-22-2005, 03:54 AM
There is nothing wrong with patriotism. >_>

Though I'm not patriotic myself, I see nothing wrong with it. Think of it like school spirit, or fans for a sports team. There is nothing wrong with it, it's simply apprecitating your country.

Now sure, people raise the notch, flags and such. There is nothing wrong with that either. Buying your country's products helps your country's economy, creating better life styles for us. Why wouldn't you want that?

I'm quite interested in why you don't like it. =\ Unless you're one of those moronic anarchists. Without a government, there would be chaos.

Inferno
06-22-2005, 03:59 AM
Well, now you only got one of those right. loyalty to your country is the only example of ture patriotism that you named. And loyalty is one of the most important things needed for a country to stand. Without trust in a country and/or government then it will falter and begin to fall. That is what has happen to so many countries before. That's why so many civil wars break out, bring down the economy, and hinder life for everyone around. It's sad. Patriotism I feel is needed. The over-zealous people who go overboard aren't too great, but they just become fanatics. And it's not always good, because people can become racist and prejudice and never get out of ignorance. And that's not good for society or the world. But overall, for the country, patriotism is needed.

Turd Fighter Deluxe
06-22-2005, 04:18 AM
I'm not saying a government is wrong. I'm just saying I dont like the government we have NOW. And I don't like the contry we have NOW.
VOTE 1 GREENS!
PS. I'm too young to vote...

Smurf
06-22-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm not saying a government is wrong. I'm just saying I dont like the government we have NOW. And I don't like the contry we have NOW.
VOTE 1 GREENS!

I'm not too fond of the government we have now, but that doesn't have anything to do with patriotism being bad. >_>

And for that second part, thank god you aren't. =)

Turd Fighter Deluxe
06-22-2005, 04:27 AM
Our contry sucks because we have had the same government for 10 years or more! (I'm australian. PM = John Howard...) So they are connected.

Also, my Mum votes Greens and Dad doesn't vote. (he's english) Everyone I know likes the Greens!

Katera
06-22-2005, 04:32 AM
Well for me I just cut all that crap out of my life and just live it how I want hehe.

Turd Fighter Deluxe
06-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Live how you want...
How nice...
No patriotistic crap...

Smurf
06-22-2005, 04:44 AM
So we're speaking two different governments here....but still, there is nothing wrong with having pride for one's government. =\ I fail to see how it's bad.

Guilder
06-22-2005, 06:08 PM

That's probably so that your narration of popular opinion doesn't influence how the country is rules.

And I think patriotism is fine: If you agree with your country, that's great.

Inferno
06-22-2005, 11:44 PM
You don't have to agree with your government to have patriotism in your country. I am Liberal Democratic, but my country's President is George Bush. I do not agree with many views of republicans, I do not support the war in Iraq, and I do not think my country is flawless. But I still find myself to be patriotic. I have pride in my country and loyalty to it, but not every person who runs it. I am also from The South, the most patriotic region of the United States. We offer the most people to the armed forces, we have the most pride, we have more pageantry and traditions and history, and we buy the most American-made products and own the most flags, and so on. Only one of those is important to me. The fact that the South has the most people join the armed forces of any region in America gives me even more pride in the region and state that I live in. I am proud and feel safe because there are so many people joining the army, navy, air force, and so on. A country needs a military. Patriotism is one of the leading factors in whether or not people volunteer themselves for the army. Patriotism is important, more as a whole than anything. If one person loses confidence in his or her country, then it may not affect the country directly; but if a large group loses faith and support for their country, then it is certain that it will soon fall. That's just fact.

Faceless steriotype
06-22-2005, 11:52 PM
I like to cause chaos, so the country can fall, and I can rule it! Mwehehe... :biggrin:

JohtoTrainer
06-23-2005, 01:03 AM
I like to cause chaos, so the country can fall, and I can rule it! Mwehehe... :biggrin:

Quit acting like a freakin moron in a serious discussion. Idiot.

I agree with everything that Inferno said. I live in the south, and everybody on my block has an American flag outside of there house. (And a Confederate Flag too, AND THAT'S NOT RACIST! But that's a different topic.)

Pika57
07-04-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm not all Go USA and stuff but Patriotism is fine. I do not beleive elections are rigged. I do beleie that our current president is incompitent to say the least

plasmaball3000
07-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Patriotism is ok, I just don't like it when it's blind and expressed without much understanding of what values and ideals they're supporting. I personally am not very patriotic at all. The only government I've ever truely known is Bush's, and that doesn't make me all, "Support the US, God Bless America". I think patriotism is essential in a country, I just can't find myself able to be part of that support at the moment.