PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft on eee pc

Katana Master
12-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey guys I got an eee pc for xmas (the small laptops) and i was curios if i had to install windows xp to it to play WoW or can i just install and play away?

Thank a bunch :wink:

Josh
12-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Check the specifications on the WoW website to see if there's a Linux release. It may also be possible to run under Wine or Cedega.

But the Eee's video card is rather lame, so I highly doubt it'll run WoW (unless there's some sort of software or low rendering mode).

Katana Master
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Check the specifications on the WoW website to see if there's a Linux release. It may also be possible to run under Wine or Cedega.

But the Eee's video card is rather lame, so I highly doubt it'll run WoW (unless there's some sort of software or low rendering mode).

Yeah but will i need to install windows xp first cause its still goot the defualt desktop....

Josh
12-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Not if it has a Linux port or can be run under the two programs mentioned above.

Wine has issues with WoW, but Cedega, since it's designed for that type of thing, might let you.

However, as I said before, the Eee's video card is rather weak- resulting in lots of lag playing Tux Racer, a rather basic 3D game- so even if you did put Windows on and install WoW, I wouldn't get your hopes up in playing it on there.

Nirvash
12-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Well... To be completely honest, with that kind of computer, it's not even worth the trouble to get it to work it with it. If you would like to play WoW, I reccomend go building your own computer for a moderately nice price, or go buy a newer gaming computer for a more expensive price. I built my PC (for gaming, of course) because it's less expensive and more learning involved. Or go buy a Macintosh (if you have the money). I like macs better. More open-sourced.

tl;dr: Build or buy a better computer.

Josh
12-30-2008, 10:04 PM
I agree with everything but your second last sentence. There's more demand for Open Source in Windows (and definitely Linux) than Mac. Mainly cos the people who can afford Macs normally can afford the outlandish prices for the software. :P

Nirvash
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I agree with everything but your second last sentence. There's more demand for Open Source in Windows (and definitely Linux) than Mac. Mainly cos the people who can afford Macs normally can afford the outlandish prices for the software. :P
Open Source in Windows? It's the most closed source piece of operating system software on the market. :s I'd say stick with linux on this computer, since it is awesome. Just because there is demand for open source on windows doesn't mean we'll get it within the next few years, unless Windows 7 is more open source. In which case, Windows will be awesome for me. Internet Explorer is ****, and Microsoft can't build a browser with decent security.
Macintosh is actually really good, especially if you do multimedia stuff. Either way, I still say that if you have the chunk of money, you get a Macintosh. That is, unless you intend to play other games from Steam or something of the like.

Katana Master
01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Ok thanks guys
filler