PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Thing About Shoddy Is The Abundance...Of Everything

-Holland-
01-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Shoddy's a great program, but I'm sort of sick of it now because the abundance of the battles you'll have climbing the ladder will pretty much exploit all the chances of little game-changing things happening at the most and least opportune times. Again, it's great, but I'd rather have eventual battles than just mindlessly play whoever happens to be on. So...I'm switching back to Wi-Fi, but I find this a great time to post the team that's gotten me up to 1580 on the Smogon Server, just in case anyone can recommend some changes to it before I actually begin to make a team in Pearl/Platinum (when I get it). So...here goes:

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfsb/dpmfsb481.png

Mesprit [Valigarmanda]
Timid, 252 Sp. Att., 252 Speed, 6 HP
@Choice Scarf
- Signal Beam
- Psychic
- Trick
- Stealth Rock

I did try Adamant with Zen Headbutt and U-Turn at one point, but Pursuit is so cruel to this guy that I kind of gave up on risking U-Turn and made this into a semi-suicide lead, because if he can set up Stealth Rock, he's done a good job, and anything else is just appreciated support. I do keep him alive if I can, though. He can usually take non-Choice Banded Night Slash from Jolly Weavile and hurt him really badly with Signal Beam, but the move is really helpful for breaking down Celebi in no time. Psychic is good STAB that covers things somewhat well with Signal Beam, but works to destroy Machamp and Hariyama if they decide to screw with Tyranitar. Admittedly, they're quite problematic if this guy goes, but they're still dealt with between Salamence and Zapdos. Trick is just a nice move on this set, as this deviates from the usual Mesprit as it is, typically netting an uncompromising Trick unto Taunt leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl, and leaving many others - like Swampert and Hippowdon - stuck on Stealth Rock. Yeah, unconventional, but Mesprit always does something useful before his lights are out.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb373.png

Salamence [Ridley]
Adamant, 252 Att., 252 Speed, 6 HP
@Choice Scarf
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Salamence's Attack stat is 11 points higher than Garchomp's, with his Speed lagging only 4 points behind, and moreover, Salamence has the wondrous Intimidate, a Fighting resistance, and an Earthquake immunity going for him. Aside from the lack of STAB on Earthquake, Salamence is just as good (or even better) a revenge killer as Garchomp now that he's got Outrage. A very helpful and somewhat surprising revenge killer, with the versatility between Dragon Claw and Outrage here for staying mobile and for emergencies, respectively. I've considered Hydro Pump somewhere to kill Hippowdon, but it'll take some Special Attack investment to OHKO, and all the Speed EVs help me out-speed fellow Salamence trying to Dragon Dance, as they often sacrifice some Speed to stay bulky as they set up. Might need some feedback on this, but I'm sure that all-out physical will probably seem most plausible.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfsb/dpmfsb462.png

Magnezone [Giga Gaia]
Naive, 20 Att., 252 Sp. Att., 236 Speed
@Choice Scarf
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion

I've used this on a team before, and I've used my Salamence for a long time, but I have to thank Astamatitos for giving me the idea of putting them together on a team, as they cover one another's weaknesses perfectly, and Magnezone can kill most of the Steel types that would block Salamence from beating things to a pulp with his STAB Dragon attacks. Mesprit really helps him out, too, as he can Trick Shed Shell off of Forretress and Skarmory so that Magnezone can actually trap them and destroy them like he's supposed to. Trapping Scizor is much trickier than I would like, now that people are wising up and using U-Turn, but I do have "Scizor lures" on my team that would force him to sway from U-Turn for another attack or Swords Dance so that the bastard can burn to death. If Scizor does manage to kill Magnezone by right of some ballsy prediction, Zapdos can still back him up if needed.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb145.png

Zapdos [Starlight]
Modest, 140 Sp. Att., 36 Speed, 252 Def., 80 HP
@Leftovers
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Grass
- Roost

I love this thing. The EVs are messy as hell, but he takes a lot of physical hits and counters a lot of tanks that are quite troublesome otherwise, such as Hippowdon, Swampert, Bronzong, and Gyarados if he isn't the full offensive version. Zapdos is really unique in that he can take physical attacks so well and boast this certain kind of attacking coverage at one time, which is precisely why he's so valuable on this particular team.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb068.png

Machamp [Gilgamesh]
Adamant, 252 HP, 252 Att., 6 Speed
@Leftovers; No Guard
- Bulk Up
- Dynamicpunch
- Stone Edge/Ice Punch
- Substitute

The sheer power of this thing is marvelous. Substitute is here to block Blissey's attempts to poison him, and he'll out-speed by a single point in order to do so and set up if possible. The great thing about this set is that paralysis isn't bad, and he never really has to set up if he never buys time. I've tried Ice Punch on here to actually have a Gliscor counter on this team, but Stone Edge's extra power helps in situations where both attacks would be neutral (although 25 Base power is easily compensated for, especially when he could be consistently boosting against Dusknoir).

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb248.png

Tyranitar [Zeromus]
Jolly, 252 Speed, 252 Att., 6 HP
@Leftovers
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Sort of a lame duck from all my other teams, but he really shines when people don't see this coming, which is happening more and more lately. Very simple, and he's not running Ice Beam because every attack is useful for killing things that he out-speeds and OHKOs after a Dragon Dance (Salamence, Gyarados, Azelf, Heatran, etc.). He's a really good switch-in for typical OU show-ups like Zapdos and Heatran as well, both of whom give the rest of this team a bit of trouble if Salamence doesn't blow them to hell first.

So...ja.

Verystrait42
01-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Im actually a fan of trick lead azelf. He is almost the same, but with a bit more spe and a little less def. He also runs fire blast > signal beam.

shucklerules
01-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Tyranitar doesn't have an Item.

-Holland-
01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Tyranitar doesn't have an Item.

Whoops, my mistake.

Again, Signal Beam is for breaking down Celebi. Mesprit is assigned to doing certain things, and killing Bronzong isn't a priority...In fact, when Hypnosis or Spore is coming, I just toss out Mesprit most of the time. Plus, Fire Blast leaves Mesprit absolutely neutered against a Tyranitar that tries to Pursuit him, and moreover, I don't want to kill Scizor, because if he Pursuits on my switch-out or kills me as I try to wear him down, Magnezone easily traps and kills him in return. Thus, the reason I have Mesprit to begin with is that he doesn't need Fire Blast and is significantly bulkier than Azelf; the set I gave him also has a certain surprise factor to it that I don't rely on, but often helps my situation.

Vincent_Valentine_4
01-03-2009, 06:37 AM
I battled this team once and it beat me 2-0 It's a very solid team I was highly considering using a magnezone myself seems how steel pokes are so common right now. Just make sure not to let an opposing Salamence get 2 DDs off or it's game over.

-Holland-
01-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I battled this team once and it beat me 2-0 It's a very solid team I was highly considering using a magnezone myself seems how steel pokes are so common right now. Just make sure not to let an opposing Salamence get 2 DDs off or it's game over.

It takes a considerable amount of prediction to out-predict Salamence, but if he's stuck on Outrage, he 2HKOs Magnezone at best, and if he's got a lot of health (Sandstorm wears him down, so that's usually not the case), I'll blow him up. I see them coming in after I kill Scizor with Hidden Power Fire a lot of times, so I can usually see Earthquake coming and revenge kill with Dragon Claw.

Verystrait42
01-04-2009, 04:50 PM
A little off topic, but I think that that mespirit will be an amazing lead in new UU.

-Holland-
01-04-2009, 05:11 PM
A little off topic, but I think that that mespirit will be an amazing lead in new UU.

The new UU might be really unbalanced for a while, because even Gallade and Porygon2 are going to be in it. I'm not saying it's an ordeal for UUs to try and kill them, but Gallade is a tad bit overpowered for it.

Anyway, I haven't really gotten any feedback on Salamence's Hydro Pump thing. It might help if someone can do a calculation for me to see what it takes from Salamence to OHKO Hippowdon with Hydro Pump. I may not necessarily put it on the set I have here, but it could be very useful in the future.

Verystrait42
01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I have been using that mence on my team, and I do end up using hydo pump on some occasions.

Vlad The Impaler
01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Aren't Porygon2 and Gallade both BL, not UU?

And I'd use Hydro Pump instead of Dragon Claw. Maybe even Flamethrower/Fire Blast. If it's scarfed, you're gonna be switching out anyway, so why not hit them as hard as possible with Outrage?

Verystrait42
01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Go to smogon main page mango. The two tiers are merging.

-Holland-
01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Well, see, I usually don't bother with Fire attacks on him because Magnezone and Zapdos both do a fantastic job of dishing out hits like that, and with more power as well. Moreover, Salamence typically has no chance against Ice-types, being OU's Most Wanted and constantly targeted with Ice Shard. I'm only considering Hydro Pump because Hidden Power Grass doesn't do too great a job of it, even though Zapdos takes Ice Fang really well. But, if anything, I need Dragon Claw. There's nothing worse than watching Bronzong or Metagross wall your Outrage that continues on from Flygon. Dragon Claw is there because Salamence is very valuable, and Outrage is used strictly in emergencies or the general late-game.

Generally this team has the tables turned on it by stall teams that switch out between Blissey (sometimes Lanturn) and Hippowdon, which really bugs me sometimes. I did put Infernape over Tyranitar at one point to do the mixed sweeping necessary, but I see a lot of stall teams carrying Dugtrio to come in and destroy him, so I worry that I can't even rely on the game's most ubiquitous mixed sweeper. I would make Salamence do it, but he serves a very specific purpose on this team. I've considered that perhaps Flygon may take his place as a revenge killer, but Salamence hits much harder every time it matters. Yeah...this is another problem of mind, but I guess I'll solve it eventually.