PDA

View Full Version : The Failingness of Shoddy

Void
01-06-2009, 01:08 PM
My username on Shoddy is _superboy_, the other guy is some random guy I met while laddering on the Shoddy Smogon Server.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
AeWiN sent out Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
_superboy_ sent out Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Jolteon's attack!
Jolteon used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 100% of its health.
AeWiN's Salamence fainted.
Jolteon lost 10% of its health.
---
AeWiN switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
Registeel lost 34% of its health.
Registeel used Amnesia.
Registeel's special defence was sharply raised.
Registeel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Registeel restored 6% of its health.
---
spraak487 has entered the room.
spraak487 has left the room.
_superboy_ switched in Smeargle (lvl 100 Smeargle ?).
Registeel used Amnesia.
Registeel's special defence was sharply raised.
---
Smeargle used Spore.
Registeel fell asleep!
Registeel is fast asleep!
---
Smeargle used Substitute.
Smeargle lost 25% of its health.
Smeargle made a substitute!
Registeel is fast asleep!
---
AeWiN switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Smeargle used Belly Drum.
Smeargle lost 50% of its health.
Smeargle's attack was raised.
Smeargle's Salac Berry raised its speed!
---
Smeargle used Baton Pass.
_superboy_ switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Gyarados used Taunt.
Metagross fell for the taunt!
---
AeWiN switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
Metagross used Thunderpunch.
Registeel lost 80% of its health.
Metagross lost 10% of its health.
---
Registeel lost 17% of its health.
AeWiN's Registeel fainted.
Metagross's taunt wore off!
---
AeWiN switched in Snorlax (lvl 100 Snorlax ?).
Snorlax lost 100% of its health.
AeWiN's Snorlax fainted.
---
AeWiN has left the room.
_superboy_ wins!

Now, this always happens on Shoddy. So many people give up all hope so fast and just quit. It might be a free win, but it's no fun at all. It's almost as irritating as a D/C on WiFi. Anyway, just comment on this.

Vlad The Impaler
01-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I hate it when people do that. I KO'd this guys lead Azelf with my Gengar and he leaves. Some people just don't bother really, and it ruins it for everyone else.

Lord Torterra
01-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Just shows how cowardly people are to accept defeat...quite sad lol.

Skottles
01-07-2009, 12:37 AM
I also hate that while I like the win it is still annoying. Idk how many times I thought I was gonna lose but just kept playing and ended up winning.

Yoda55
01-07-2009, 12:40 AM
I also hate that while I like the win it is still annoying. Idk how many times I thought I was gonna lose but just kept playing and ended up winning.

I did that a lot to.

LocamotionEX
01-07-2009, 12:42 AM
so true, I can't count how many times people have left in the middle of a match. I even recorded it onto youtube. I wish that in order to leave, they would have to leave the server to make them wait longer.

Knuckles
01-07-2009, 12:45 AM
yeah, the win is great, but it still feels like a waste of time after the fact. as skottles stated, i dunno how many times i thought i'd lose and actually won

Dark Turtwig
01-07-2009, 12:45 AM
This is just one of the flaws of shoddy nowadays. It's become so incredibly boring, people just giving up, and there's no creativity anymore. I haven't seen an acually creative team (when I say creative, I don't mean only 2 OU's in the team, a team could be six OU's and still have creativity, with movesets and playing style) in at least a week, and over a hundred matches at least. It's always the Scizor, Heatran Flash Fire bait/stalling technique of Blissey and Skarmory. It's just the same exact standard sets from smogon. It's boring, and today I have felt like quitting pokes. Another thing, you can see people switching to wi-fi because shoddy has gotten too repetitive. Take Diarago for example.

Skottles
01-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Yeah I have noticed that a lot on the ladder. I tend to make creative teams on shoddy though. Use things people won't expect at all.

Starkipraggy
01-07-2009, 12:58 AM
This is just one of the flaws of shoddy nowadays. It's become so incredibly boring, people just giving up, and there's no creativity anymore. I haven't seen an acually creative team (when I say creative, I don't mean only 2 OU's in the team, a team could be six OU's and still have creativity, with movesets and playing style) in at least a week, and over a hundred matches at least. It's always the Scizor, Heatran Flash Fire bait/stalling technique of Blissey and Skarmory. It's just the same exact standard sets from smogon. It's boring, and today I have felt like quitting pokes. Another thing, you can see people switching to wi-fi because shoddy has gotten too repetitive. Take Diarago for example.
While predictability makes it easier to ladder, it gets a tad boring after a while. :x Not that I have ever laddered, I just make weird teams and throw them out there.

Dancing Mad
01-07-2009, 05:08 AM
Hey if you can't handle people quitting then don't battle. People have a right to quit. If they didn't they would just wait till there time ran out which would be even more boring. Don't complain about the free win. Just take and hope your next battle we involve someone that is a better sport about loosing.

-Holland-
01-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Hey if you can't handle people quitting then don't battle. People have a right to quit. If they didn't they would just wait till there time ran out which would be even more boring. Don't complain about the free win. Just take and hope your next battle we involve someone that is a better sport about loosing.

Well, see, that's why I prefer Wi-Fi. When you have access to a forum like this, you can pick your battles and always be in an interesting match if you choose. Nothing's wrong with Shoddy at all, since it's really a perfect program for Pokemon; it's just that everyone has the same problem, but they express it in different ways. Everyone hates an easy battle or when they see repetitiveness in either losing, winning, or observing strategies. Everyone gets a little pissed off inside and either takes it out on everyone else by silently storming out of games or just ******** at them for the whole match. Shoddy's only problem is that laddering takes a considerable amount of time to become anything substantial, and that's ironic, because the amount of people there is what makes that time expand as such, and really, it's because of us that we become frustrated with how repetitive things get on there.

So, really, you shouldn't act as if you're expressing some pride by fabricating some form of deprecating dignity for yourself by posting what you did, topic person, because I walk out of games a lot when I know it's done for, and I even do it when I'm losing and I'm having a dull day or something. Moreover - and I don't necessarily blame you for this -, a lot of people on there have their little ego-feasts by winning easy battles; you know, those bastards that point out all the "noobs" they see and pretend as if they know more than other people trying to make a point (kind of like that Colin guy from the Official Server...). Honestly, people walking out of what may have been an easy match may be better for you in the future; when you come across an eventual epic battle, maybe you'll really enjoy it for once.

Dark Turtwig
01-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Yeah I have noticed that a lot on the ladder. I tend to make creative teams on shoddy though. Use things people won't expect at all.

Yeah, like your UU team you were facing me with today. Even though it was OU's against UU's, it was really fun! It was a break from the regular stuff, and I enjoyed the battle. I didn't expect half the things you did in that match.

Void
01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Well, see, that's why I prefer Wi-Fi. When you have access to a forum like this, you can pick your battles and always be in an interesting match if you choose. Nothing's wrong with Shoddy at all, since it's really a perfect program for Pokemon; it's just that everyone has the same problem, but they express it in different ways. Everyone hates an easy battle or when they see repetitiveness in either losing, winning, or observing strategies. Everyone gets a little pissed off inside and either takes it out on everyone else by silently storming out of games or just ******** at them for the whole match. Shoddy's only problem is that laddering takes a considerable amount of time to become anything substantial, and that's ironic, because the amount of people there is what makes that time expand as such, and really, it's because of us that we become frustrated with how repetitive things get on there.

So, really, you shouldn't act as if you're expressing some pride by fabricating some form of deprecating dignity for yourself by posting what you did, topic person, because I walk out of games a lot when I know it's done for, and I even do it when I'm losing and I'm having a dull day or something. Moreover - and I don't necessarily blame you for this -, a lot of people on there have their little ego-feasts by winning easy battles; you know, those bastards that point out all the "noobs" they see and pretend as if they know more than other people trying to make a point (kind of like that Colin guy from the Official Server...). Honestly, people walking out of what may have been an easy match may be better for you in the future; when you come across an eventual epic battle, maybe you'll really enjoy it for once.

Actually, the depicted log isn't really that serious. My opponent was already down a few Pokemon and I was in a perfect sweeping position. But haven't you noticed that sometimes, when you only knock out one of your opponent's Pokemon, he just quits? Or after just one critical hit, they just get the hell out of there? Would you say that knocking out one of your opponent's Pokemon means it's going to be an easy battle?

-Holland-
01-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Actually, the depicted log isn't really that serious. My opponent was already down a few Pokemon and I was in a perfect sweeping position. But haven't you noticed that sometimes, when you only knock out one of your opponent's Pokemon, he just quits? Or after just one critical hit, they just get the hell out of there? Would you say that knocking out one of your opponent's Pokemon means it's going to be an easy battle?

Well, sure, that's a little irrational from your point of view, but really, prior frustration or stress can evoke an abrasive mood toward others. Even while it's only one Pokemon, it's very discouraging to watch it die by some deprecating act of luck in favor of the opponent, thus ruining your strategy or even your trust in a partially luck-based system. Besides, that doesn't even happen that often with me. In my case, if they get pissed off, it's either after they've been pushed to a bottleneck mid-/late-game or after at least 2 or 3 critical hits.

Starkipraggy
01-10-2009, 03:40 AM
Well, sure, that's a little irrational from your point of view, but really, prior frustration or stress can evoke an abrasive mood toward others. Even while it's only one Pokemon, it's very discouraging to watch it die by some deprecating act of luck in favor of the opponent, thus ruining your strategy or even your trust in a partially luck-based system. Besides, that doesn't even happen that often with me. In my case, if they get pissed off, it's either after they've been pushed to a bottleneck mid-/late-game or after at least 2 or 3 critical hits.
For me, quite a bunch of people bail when my BellyZard is on a rampage and just ate their bulky water because they didn't invest enough Defense EVs. :D

-Holland-
01-10-2009, 04:15 AM
For me, quite a bunch of people bail when my BellyZard is on a rampage and just ate their bulky water because they didn't invest enough Defense EVs. :D

Well, just think about that statement for a second; unless you've managed to completely catch them off guard otherwise and are in possession of the arcane perfection of Pokemon battling, those people are not quite that formidable if they are fully swept by Belly Drum Charizard. Yeah, it's a badass that can destroy 2 or 3 Pokemon if you're good, but it's not that revolutionary with Stealth Rock and powerful priority moves all over the place.

Katana Master
01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
So random guy left when the match started so i won, then we pair up again and he does the same. Then i battle some one eles how leaves when i take down his lead....
3 easy wins, but not as satisfied...

Vlad The Impaler
01-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I've just had someone leave...here it is, see what you think of it:

I'm mutanmango, the other is some random guy

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Big Momma sent out Cresselia (lvl 100 Cresselia ?).
mutantmango sent out Super Duck (lvl 100 Porygonz).
Super Duck used Trick.
Super Duck obtained Leftovers!
Cresselia obtained Choice Scarf!
Cresselia used Calm Mind.
Cresselia's special attack was raised.
Cresselia's special defence was raised.
---
Big Momma switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Super Duck used Tri Attack.
It's not very effective...
Scizor lost 47% of its health.
---
Scizor lost 42% of its health.
Scizor used Swords Dance.
Scizor's attack was sharply raised.
---
mutantmango switched in Magnezone (lvl 100 Magnezone).
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Magnezone lost 23% of its health.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.
---
Magnezone used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 2% of its health.
Big Momma's Scizor fainted.
---
Big Momma switched in Electivire (lvl 100 Electivire ?).
mutantmango switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Electivire's attack!
Electivire used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Salamence...
---
Salamence used Outrage.
Salamence went on a rampage!
Electivire lost 100% of its health.
Big Momma's Electivire fainted.
---
Big Momma has left the room.
mutantmango wins!

It's so annoying...

Katana Master
01-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Super Duck used Trick.
---
---
---
---
It's super effective!
---
---
Salamence used Outrage.
---
mutantmango wins!

It's so annoying...

Total nOObish (the guy not you) I love the trick porygonz ^_^
Editz: OMFG someone just did the same once his lead died!
Double Editz: OMFG someone that chanenge me and had a team of ledegends (3 ubers in it btw) he got to dirika (sp?) and put my poke to sleep then quit >.<

Vlad The Impaler
01-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah, no one expects a Trick Porygon-Z :P

And someone did it to me again! xD

Some people these days...

Lucky 1276
01-10-2009, 09:06 PM
To me, I battle for fun. I use things that shoddy doesn't consider "standard"
I'd rather lose a battle and have fun than to win a battle and get no challenge. In truth, I do use lots of OU (usually with standard movesets) but I use them because they're enjoyable to use.:oops:

Starkipraggy
01-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Well, just think about that statement for a second; unless you've managed to completely catch them off guard otherwise and are in possession of the arcane perfection of Pokemon battling, those people are not quite that formidable if they are fully swept by Belly Drum Charizard. Yeah, it's a badass that can destroy 2 or 3 Pokemon if you're good, but it's not that revolutionary with Stealth Rock and powerful priority moves all over the place.
True dat. I'm only honestly worried about Lucario and Scizor's priority though. :x

-Holland-
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
True dat. I'm only honestly worried about Lucario and Scizor's priority though. :x

Lucario's easy to swamp with Magnezone if you can make him use Close Combat and kill something. I'm like an Aztec sun god when battling, making sacrifices for the supposed good of my guys: if something won't do much good, let it die and revenge kill the bastard that caused it to die.

I am really biased toward Magnezone, though. One of the best weapons you have when battling is switching, and to rob it from a Steel type is just marvelous.

Void
01-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Super Duck used Trick.
---
---
---
---
It's super effective!
---
---
Salamence used Outrage.
---
mutantmango wins!

It's so annoying...

At least you got a longer battle than this:

_superboy_ sent out Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
Kopie sent out Smeargle (lvl 100 Smeargle ?).
Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
Smeargle lost 100% of its health.
Kopie's Smeargle fainted.
---
Kopie has left the room.
_superboy_ wins!

Lol.

I'm guessing that he was going to BP some stats to a sweeper, and that OHKO ruined his strategy.

Master Aqua
01-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Well personally I couldn't give a hoot if someone did this to me in shoddy wich happens on occasion, as far as I am concerened it's just another win and time to battle a more fun oppenent, it's not like these guys are much fun to fight.

I did once get anoyed when I sent out a typhlosion lead and they sent out weavile I used focus blast, they switched out for walrienI koed it with a CH they sent out frostlass and then gave up!