PDA

View Full Version : My band's album cover.

Shdw_Tamwyn
01-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Hey, I just want some people to tell me their opinion on our band's album cover.
If this is in the wrong spot, mods, please move it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/fu9n38.jpg

It's for a Death Metal band called Infest, if you couldn't read it.
If you're gonna say "Where's the album name?", the album is self-titled.

Constructive Crisicism please and thank you.

By the way, this is my first piece work using Microsoft Paint in a couple years, and that may be why it may suck just a little.
I personally was very proud if it.

01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Umm... You definitely need to change the font...

Durasold
01-15-2009, 11:13 PM

I second this motion.

I wouldn't even buy the album if you changed the font, though. You need more than skulls with flies on them. O.e

And if your going to have skulls with flies on them, have it done skillfully.

NOT ON MSPAINT.

XaiakuX
01-15-2009, 11:31 PM

I second this motion.

I wouldn't even but the album if you changed the font, though. You need more than skulls with flies on them. O.e

And if your going to have skulls with flies on them, have it done skillfully.

NOT ON MSPAINT.

... and to contradict these 2 beginners, I happen upon this little thread.

First, I think it should have gone to the Showcase thread. But, I assume you have your reasons, right?

Second, for something done in MS Paint, it is good.

Third, You don't need more than Skulls with flies/bees on them.

Fourth, What is that thing in the center, is it blood? If this is true, then add more. Like maybe add blood to the wings of the flies, or covering some of the skulls.

Fifth, I will say that as a fellow graphic artist, I recommend Gimp or Free Version of Photoshop. Simply because I believe that Album Covers should be made in such programs.

Neo Emolga
01-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Lots of things.

1. Dimensions aren't right. The album insert in a CD jewel case is 4.75"X4.75", which is a perfect square. Yours isn't that, which means its going to need to be cropped somewhere.

2. That picture of the skulls is yours, right? If its not and you plan on selling this album, you might be asking for legal trouble. Work with your own images, its safer that way. Trust me.

Okay, onto the design itself:

3. There's nothing eye-catching about it. If you're planning on doing an album cover, get Photoshop and go to town on it. This MS Paint stuff isn't going to go anywhere. It looks amateurish and nothing like a real band's album cover.

4. The flies are placed horribly, aren't scaled right, aren't cropped right, and don't even look like they're a part of the picture. Some of them just seem to be floating over the skulls, and the white outlines prove they were just copied and pasted there, very unconvincingly slapped on top of the picture behind it.

5. The font is abysmal. I can't read it, and I couldn't tell what it said until you told us, which you shouldn't have needed to do.

Work on it. I see tons of things you could do to make that better.

Soda
01-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Until Neo just pointed that out, I thought the flies were holes in the skulls.

:hurt:

Incandescent
01-16-2009, 01:07 AM
It scares me a bit, but still, font, picture, really all the stuff you need to work on.

Shdw_Tamwyn
01-16-2009, 01:23 AM
... and to contradict these 2 beginners, I happen upon this little thread.

First, I think it should have gone to the Showcase thread. But, I assume you have your reasons, right?

Third, You don't need more than Skulls with flies/bees on them.

Fourth, What is that thing in the center, is it blood? If this is true, then add more. Like maybe add blood to the wings of the flies, or covering some of the skulls.

Fifth, I will say that as a fellow graphic artist, I recommend Gimp or Free Version of Photoshop. Simply because I believe that Album Covers should be made in such programs.

Thank you, and yes I know I'm an amateur. And yes, the thing in the center is a puddle of blood in the shape of our smaller logo. And thanks, I guess I could use more blood...

Lots of things.

1. Dimensions aren't right. The album insert in a CD jewel case is 4.75"X4.75", which is a perfect square. Yours isn't that, which means its going to need to be cropped somewhere.

2. That picture of the skulls is yours, right? If its not and you plan on selling this album, you might be asking for legal trouble. Work with your own images, its safer that way. Trust me.

Okay, onto the design itself:

3. There's nothing eye-catching about it. If you're planning on doing an album cover, get Photoshop and go to town on it. This MS Paint stuff isn't going to go anywhere. It looks amateurish and nothing like a real band's album cover.

4. The flies are placed horribly, aren't scaled right, aren't cropped right, and don't even look like they're a part of the picture. Some of them just seem to be floating over the skulls, and the white outlines prove they were just copied and pasted there, very unconvincingly slapped on top of the picture behind it.

5. The font is abysmal. I can't read it, and I couldn't tell what it said until you told us, which you shouldn't have needed to do.

Work on it. I see tons of things you could do to make that better.

I know.. But, if you look at any other Death Metal band's font, you cant read it at all. I know it's not the right size, it's meant to be a promo. And the flies were extremely hard to do, with MSP. And they are supposed to be bigger than usual, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see them.
And on the skulls, I have asked for permission to use it, but they have not replied yet, so I used it, but I'm not going to release it untill I do get permission.

Thanks for the critizism guys, I'll get right on fixing it.

=)

Beavs1Fan
01-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Until Neo just pointed that out, I thought the flies were holes in the skulls.

:hurt:

they look a litle more like bees. but MS paint is not working out.

Durasold
01-16-2009, 02:09 AM

Yeah, you're right.

If you're blind.

Pink Leon
01-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Hey, I just want some people to tell me their opinion on our band's album cover.
If this is in the wrong spot, mods, please move it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/fu9n38.jpg

It's for a Death Metal band called Infest, if you couldn't read it.
If you're gonna say "Where's the album name?", the album is self-titled.

Constructive Crisicism please and thank you.

By the way, this is my first piece work using Microsoft Paint in a couple years, and that may be why it may suck just a little.
I personally was very proud if it.

LOL is that a joke?? :crackup:
cuz thats funny. it looks like it was done by a 6th grader or something...
omg im sorry.... xD

CandleJack
01-16-2009, 10:09 AM
LOL is that a joke?? :crackup:
cuz thats funny. it looks like it was done by a 6th grader or something...
omg im sorry.... xD

This is the most helpful post I have ever read.

Anyway, so I don't digress off-topic, it does need work. The 'puddle of blood' sinply looks like a normal circular red brush painted on top of the main picture, and doesn't blend in. The font is nigh readable, so it needs to be changed. The bees look shabbily cropped, and oversized(Unless this was done purposely).
Though most people have said this before, and you pretty much know this. xD
Good luck with improving it.

XaiakuX
01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah, you're right.

If you're blind.

Would that be an insult to my Judgement? Or to the fact that I wear Glasses?

Nothing further, I side with Neo. All that he has said about the cover is true.

Durasold
01-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Would that be an insult to my Judgement? Or to the fact that I wear Glasses?

Nothing further, I side with Neo. All that he has said about the cover is true.

Well considering I don't know you, and never knew you wore glasses, it's obviously an insult to your rather bad judgement.

There's no point in telling him it's alright when it's not. And it's not.

>:C

XaiakuX
01-19-2009, 02:24 AM
Well considering I don't know you, and never knew you wore glasses, it's obviously an insult to your rather bad judgement.

There's no point in telling him it's alright when it's not. And it's not.

>:C

o.O;;

Imma drop it, because it's not worth getting banned over. I'll actually try agreeing with you on a standard.

Is it good? Hardly..

Is it good for MS Paint work? It's decent...

What would you say about it if it were done on GIMP or Photoshop? I wouldn't have said anything because it would have been a quite rude and obscene post like the ones that I have quoted. =D

Neo, or Azumao, or some Mod: I believe this thread has served its purpose and before further conflict ensues, I would suggest this thread be locked.

Tombi
01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
it's obviously an insult to your rather bad judgement.

That's all you know, fool. For an MSPaint job it's pretty good. Try for some some constructive criticism next time, as that's what was asked for.

@Shdw: I think if it was Photoshop'd, it'd be a pretty damn good album cover. I'd pick it up, anyway, and that's a good thing. :3

Good luck with your band~

Dark Turtwig
01-21-2009, 09:45 PM
The album cover certainly can use some work, but I don't think it's bad.
Like everyone has said, the font is a bit hard to read, I would change it, but I like the style of the font, with the waves and such.
The flies should be a bit smaller. Not like, normal size, then you couldn't see them, but about 2/3 the size they are now.
And the thing that really catches my eye: The little puddle of blood. I mean, what's up with that? It's just sitting there. It's not dripping out from anywhere, not connected to any other puddle of blood, it just looks kind of, well, stupid. I'd have it a darker shade, and have it blend in with the rock a bit more. Also, have it kind of drip out from under the skulls to the right and left of it.
Everything just seems to have a very high contrast, which is what makes it look amatuer. Personally, I would only pick it up if it was in the clearance bin. :S (Not trying to hurt your feelings, I'm just being blunt about it.)