PDA

View Full Version : Shojo or Shonen?

pikachugirl2
01-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Do you watch more Shojo(Girl)anime or more Shonen(boy) anime?

For me, its much more Shonen.

And what anime in each category is your favorite?(Boys don't have to like Shojo......)

For me, my favorite Shonen animes are Pokemon, Naruto, Inuyasha and Kiba.

My only Shojo one is Lucky Star. Oh, and The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya.

But there's also some animes i like that are split between Shojo and Shonen.

Like Avatar or Death Note, for instance. Those aren't classified.

U get what I'm sayin?

scubasteveE
01-19-2009, 11:31 PM

And what anime in each category is your favorite?(Boys don't have to like Shojo......)

U get what I'm sayin?
Maybe, lets see.....

I think I watch more shonen. I like action anime like naruto, bleach, soul eater, casshern sins, etc.
I'm guessing shojo is more drama and love so that's not really my thing. For instance, I tried to watch white ablum once and I almost threw up :P

pikachugirl2
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I got totally lost watching half of a Fruits Basket episode.

But Lucky Star is just comedy, not romance at all.

And I got through all of School Days, but the ending scarred me for life.

I read the Bleach manga, but i don't watch the anime.

Operative
01-20-2009, 01:57 AM

U get what I'm sayin?

Pokemon isn't Shounen... v__v

It's probably Shounen-Ai...

As a mater of fact, every anime and manga does have a classified group.

Avatar is definately some type of shounen.

And Death note is Shounen, as well. I don't think you looked into the manga well enough to see that Death Note is endorsed by Shounen Jump: Advanced...

x_-

Professor Geoffrey
01-24-2009, 06:31 AM

Great; we've got to make Shonen specific. Dx

Let me guess; since Shonen is boy's anime, Shonen-Ai is going to be little boy's anime? xP

Uh, the first (and only) Shojo anime, not to mention anime in general, I've ever watched was Sailor Moon. And it was pretty kickass.

However, I've watched more Shonen; Yu-Gi-Oh (Yugi's version and GX [which sucks]), Pokemon, Dragonball (first, Z, and GT), Naruto, Avatar, Hamtaro, and Inyuasha (sp?!?)...

KNIGHT - VERITY - SORROW

Kendo
02-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Let me guess; since Shonen is boy's anime, Shonen-Ai is going to be little boy's anime? xP

Uh, the first (and only) Shojo anime, not to mention anime in general, I've ever watched was Sailor Moon. And it was pretty kickass.

However, I've watched more Shonen; Yu-Gi-Oh (Yugi's version and GX [which sucks]), Pokemon, Dragonball (first, Z, and GT), Naruto, Avatar, Hamtaro, and Inyuasha (sp?!?)...

KNIGHT - VERITY - SORROW
I think Inuyasha is shonen. Even though it was written by a girl, it's still shonen manga.

Anyways, I seem to read more shonen manga, too. And my favorite...I don't really have one. Uhh, Death Note? (I skipped through a few volumes just to see the end, though, so I shouldn't be talking. D:)

Operative
02-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Yes.

Yes, we do.

DarkGardevoir
02-01-2009, 04:39 PM

do you actually know what a shonen-ai is?

shonen-ai means boys love, and I haven't seen any male on male action in the anime. But if you have, please tell me, 'cause maybe I missed the episode.

I'm more of a shojo boy, I guess. I don't watch much anime( well, I do watch Naruto, Inuyasha & One Piece, since they're basically the only ones actually aired in Italy. They air Death Note too, but it's too much for me- not enough laughs) but I read a lot. And it's mostly shojo, because they tend to make me laugh with the love incomprehension and stuff.

I can't quite place Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid. I know it should be a shonen, but it has that romantic background only a shojo can achieve. Nevertheless, it makes me laugh and it's one of my favourite.
I did like a lot those old anime with the giant robots like Mazinga, too bad they don't seem to be aired anymore. And I liked Abenobashi(The Magical Shopping District) too, it was absurd.

As for shojo anime, uh, Kodocha was fun but meaningless, and for what I remember of Sailor Moon, it kicked ass. Dear lord, Bunny was really something. They don't make heroines like her anymore... Nana I did like too, but I wasn't much into it. I can't wait to see how Ahiru no Ballet ends, through, the story is fascinating.

And let's not forget Full Metal Panic? - FUMOFFU! that was one of my favourite too.

Lusitania
02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I like Shonen, it's just more action-ey.

pikachugirl2
02-01-2009, 05:52 PM
BTW, isn't Hamtaro a shojo?(whoever classified it as a shonen)

AND POKEMON IS NOT A LITTLE BOY SHOW, IT'S THE MEANING OF LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

DarkGardevoir
02-01-2009, 06:04 PM

however you put it, Pokemon is a little boys show- it's just missing the final scne where a guy appears and says "Remember, don't do this and listen to your parents" and stuff. But why does it mean it can't be the meaning of life?

And I think Hamtaro is a shojo too, it's nothing like a shonen. No action, no comedy, just pure idiotic romance.

Synester
02-01-2009, 06:11 PM
AND POKEMON IS NOT A LITTLE BOY SHOW, IT'S THE MEANING OF LIFE!!!!!!!!!!Okay, you reall need to get over the fact that not everyone here is is actually in love with Pokemon, I myself, hate most, if not all the franchise. Even the games are starting to suck.

Now, back on topic, I guess I'm into more Shojo, seeing as how all the action animes are starting to be a big cliche, I'd elaborate, but I'm guessing most of you are starting to catch my drift at this point :oops:

Starkipraggy
02-04-2009, 12:12 AM
do you actually know what a shonen-ai is?

shonen-ai means boys love, and I haven't seen any male on male action in the anime. But if you have, please tell me, 'cause maybe I missed the episode.

I'm more of a shojo boy, I guess. I don't watch much anime( well, I do watch Naruto, Inuyasha & One Piece, since they're basically the only ones actually aired in Italy. They air Death Note too, but it's too much for me- not enough laughs) but I read a lot. And it's mostly shojo, because they tend to make me laugh with the love incomprehension and stuff.

I can't quite place Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid. I know it should be a shonen, but it has that romantic background only a shojo can achieve. Nevertheless, it makes me laugh and it's one of my favourite.
I did like a lot those old anime with the giant robots like Mazinga, too bad they don't seem to be aired anymore. And I liked Abenobashi(The Magical Shopping District) too, it was absurd.

As for shojo anime, uh, Kodocha was fun but meaningless, and for what I remember of Sailor Moon, it kicked ass. Dear lord, Bunny was really something. They don't make heroines like her anymore... Nana I did like too, but I wasn't much into it. I can't wait to see how Ahiru no Ballet ends, through, the story is fascinating.

And let's not forget Full Metal Panic? - FUMOFFU! that was one of my favourite too.
Kewl. MAZIN GO! MAZIN GO!!!

I watch a crapload of seinen mecha, so yeah. Seinen = for older guys.

Chobits spammed romance and was still considered Seinen, so yeah.

I think FMP (Full Metal Panic) is mixed, but more leaning towards shounen since it's more action-focused and the romance is like a sub-plot.

Lusitania
02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
however you put it, Pokemon is a little boys show- it's just missing the final scne where a guy appears and says "Remember, don't do this and listen to your parents" and stuff. But why does it mean it can't be the meaning of life?

And I think Hamtaro is a shojo too, it's nothing like a shonen. No action, no comedy, just pure idiotic romance.

And it has hamsters, what else could you want??? Plus, they aired it on Cartoon Network at five o'clock, for god's sake.

Black Hawk
02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
BTW, isn't Hamtaro a shojo?(whoever classified it as a shonen)

Finally, someone who sees things the way i do :\

Synester
02-07-2009, 04:17 PM
No action, no comedy, just pure idiotic romance.Do I smell...a...a...VIRGIN! :dance:

I like Hamtaro though ):

pikachugirl2
02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
GTFO. That's just sick.

I really like Naruto. Second fav Shonen.

Go Gaara!

Draconic_Espeon
03-06-2009, 02:57 AM
I like some of both. I like the shojo that's geared more towards comedy than romance, though I'm not against the romance if it's a cute pairing. I'm not interested in a whole lot of intrigue and 'oh, I can't choose which hot guy I should go out with', that kind of stuff. Shonen I like as well, but I've started steering away from the more commercialized stuff with hundreds of episodes. I just can't keep up, and I have no idea what's going on. 0o I like the shorter ones that don't take me forever to watch, especially if they have a plot that keeps me interested. That's my number one thing--if it keeps me interested, I like it. Whatever it is. xD

Lord Fedora
03-23-2009, 05:17 AM
I like both *shot*

No, but seriously, I enjoy the drama and comedy of, say, Ouran Host Club *shot again* stop doing that!
May I continue? Good. But, on the other hand, I enjoy the epic action of a good Shonen, for instance Kuroshitsuji or Bacciano *is not shot because those shows are simply epic*. Then there are the ones that don't fall into either classification and are simply for all around lulz (i.e. Axis Powers Hetalia), and of course, the cross-breeds (To Aru Majutsu no Index and Shakugan no Shana). In other words, I like all genres of anime.

ShionRasenka
06-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I like both. I love the action and adventure you get in a good shounen anime, like Fullmetal Alchemist and Code Geass, but once in a while I like the cuteness and romance in a shoujo, like Fruits Basket (a guy friend of mine even likes FB) and Angelic Layer.

It all just depends on what you like. I tend to like anything that keeps me interested and has a good plot. I also like mystery anime (Detective Conan/Ayatsuri Sakon), and mecha (Gundam). As long as it's something you enjoy, it shouldn't matter what genre it is.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
06-07-2009, 03:11 PM
the main character girl in girls bravo. forgot name but its the pink haired one.

Miharu or something like that.

Anyway. For me, it's both. Shojo is in general full of moe girls. :3

Fine. Mo. >_>

Where was I again? Ah, yes.

And shonen is in general full of awesome masculine action. >:3

Vaughn
06-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I like Shonen better, but I like some Shojo.

Shonen like FMA and Naruto
Shojo like xxxHolic.

cutter kirby
07-05-2009, 04:35 AM
my sister is reading high school debut which is major shojo! I figured that shojo is about romance and stuff so shonen all the way!!! I like shonen manga such as naruto, bleach, one piece, and more

Professor Geoffrey
07-05-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure. My first anime was a Shojo... but most anime I watch is Shonen. .__.

Pika57
07-05-2009, 05:10 AM
I tend to read Shounen as I enjoy generic Shounen much more than generic Shoujo, and its far easier to find good Shounen since Shounen series have a higher likelihood of being uploaded online. I also read a good deal of Senin. I've been meaning to check out Josei to see if it would interest me at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if I felt just as I do for shoujo.

Also, someone needs to make a thread of anime/manga terms... That anyone would suggest that Shounen-ai has anything to do with little boys (*Ironic gag) is a bit disconcerting. I remember when I first learned about yaoi... twas an interesting day.

Poltergeist
07-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I love Shonen manga far more then Shojo. Shojo tends to bore me to death. Keep in mind that is just my opinion though.

diamondpearl876
07-06-2009, 02:10 AM
I read/watch both Shojo and Shonen.

For Shojo, I like D.N.Angel, Tokyo Babylon, and Cardcaptor Sakura and for Shonen I like Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, One Piece, and xxxHOLiC.

Ryenne
07-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I read both...To be honest, I'm not sure which one I read more, but I probably like Shojo better...I dunno, depends on what mood I'm in. : /

My favorite Shojo are Absolute Boyfriend, Kare Kano, Fruits Basket, and Marmalade Boy, but Shounen I like are Death Note, Inuyasha (which is still girly sometimes, despite the terrible soul-devouring demons @__@), and Ocarina of Time...

I read/watch a lot more in both categories; those are just my favorites...

manga1313
07-20-2009, 09:36 AM
i used to read only shounen but i ve started to read more shoujo cause its sooo funny ^^

Minorin
07-21-2009, 01:34 AM

U get what I'm sayin?
*Warning* Major Otaku here.

Well, Lucky Star and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu are both directed at the Shounen audience. Death Note is probably Shounen and I don't really consider Avatar and anime...
Favorite Anime
1. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
2. Minami-ke (and it's sequels)
3. Lucky Star
4. Eureka 7
5. Full Metal Alchemist
The Naruto anime is just bad and I read Bleach and Death Note. I don't really watch Shojo anime as it tends to bore me sometimes. But I read it. XD I own all the volumes of Fruits Basket. (manga is so much better than anime) XD

DragoniteMistress
07-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Shonen is better to watch.

Shojo is better to read.

Who wants to read action, and who wants to watch girls make fools of themselves? LOL NOT ME.

Minorin
07-21-2009, 01:51 AM
Shonen is better to watch.

Shojo is better to read.

Who wants to read action, and who wants to watch girls make fools of themselves? LOL NOT ME.

Very true. Though I read Shounen more often than I watch Shojo. I like your avi. XD Soul Calibur-best weapons fighter ever. Hands down.

Willow
07-21-2009, 01:59 AM
I am really confused by this. I had no idea of these classifications. i guess I would have to say I watch/read more shonen. What is fruits basket counted as?

Minorin
07-21-2009, 02:16 AM
I am really confused by this. I had no idea of these classifications. i guess I would have to say I watch/read more shonen. What is fruits basket counted as?

Fruits Basket is shojo. There's drama and it's heavily based on romance.

Willow
07-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Okay So I don't just watch shonen but I seem to watch/read it mostly. Is there a place with these listed because I am interested in reading some more shojo.

Minorin
07-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Okay So I don't just watch shonen but I seem to watch/read it mostly. Is there a place with these listed because I am interested in reading some more shojo.

Many many sites my friend. *Otaku crazed smile*
www.onemanga.com
www.mangafox.com
www.mangavolume.com
I use onemanga the most since it has a search function that allows you to look for manga with specific requirements. Like shounen, shojo, comedy, romance, mystery, etc.

Willow
07-21-2009, 02:45 AM
oh wow. thanks. that is awesome. Are there any that you really like?

Minorin
07-21-2009, 02:59 AM
oh wow. thanks. that is awesome. Are there any that you really like?

Da Capo. It's Shounen but it's got a storyline like Shojo. It's better than most other ones that are like this.
Air Gear is also really good. I've only read the first few chapters but I've heard that it's really good.
For Shojo, I recommend Alice Academy/Gakuen Alice, Full Moon o Sagashite, Fruits Basket, Kamichama Karin, and Vampire Knight. Alice Academy, Vampire Knight, and Fruits Basket are the more well known ones but Full Moon and Kamichama Karin are also good.