PDA

View Full Version : GIMP or Photoshop?

espeonera
02-26-2009, 06:11 AM
I had this question in mind when I was downloading GIMP brushes. Your preference?

Kenzee
02-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Gimp is so easy to use and quick to learn and adapt to, it's even easy to get brushes for it! ;D I choose GIMP obviously. What d you think, Epseonera?

espeonera
02-26-2009, 06:48 AM
I think GIMP too, it's real cool and it's easy to make banners with it.
Btw, what brush is that in your sig? It looks cool.

Dragoness
02-26-2009, 07:01 AM
I probably should have used Photoshop more before voting in this poll, but I chose GIMP. Reasons? It has decent photo editing features and is free. Photoshop seems nice, but you have to pay a good bunch for it and if you don't have that money, then GIMP is a good option.

Azure
02-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Once you start using PS, you'll never go back to the clunky GIMP interface.

Stardy
02-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Photoshop is way better. :P

Isaac8296
02-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Gimp... Because its free, easy to use, and has some really nice brushes!!

But... PS Banners look nice..... but i still voted for GIMP!!!

The Admiral GiMoo
02-26-2009, 08:25 AM
I have never used Photoshop ever, but some people say it's great. I vote for GIMp because it's fun to use, and what is said above, free and has amazing brushes.

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I much prefer Photoshop, but that's probably because I used it and got used to it before I'd ever heard of GIMP. When I finally tried it out, GIMP just seemed really confusing. :P

Hei Feng
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I've only ever loved Photoshop. It's does everything I need it to.

Professor Geoffrey
02-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Never really used PS - I heard it's "the cat's meow," if you will, but I have GIMP, and I love it to death. I have four fansites that depend on it!

([.::G])

Gold Rush
02-26-2009, 06:18 PM
GIMP is easier to use and it's free while Photoshop is better, I think Photoshop is probably is better since I don't have Photoshop :o

Wisp
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Photoshop is so much easier. I found GIMP really hard to use, with all the separate windows, it seemed a horrible programme. D: So, Photoshop ftw! <3

Dark Turtwig
02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Despite the fact I'm horrible about learning new computer programs, I chose photshop.
I can't use either photoshop, or GIMP (I have both. :p) but PS makes FAR superior banners with the layering technique. (GIMP doesn't have that, correct?

Daughter of Mew
02-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Despite the fact I'm horrible about learning new computer programs, I chose photshop.
I can't use either photoshop, or GIMP (I have both. :p) but PS makes FAR superior banners with the layering technique. (GIMP doesn't have that, correct?
GIMP has layers. o:

Although I've been using GIMP for most of my banners, I think Photoshop. It has a much easier layout, and PS has better brushes...

Shadow Eevee
02-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Gimp, because it's free, so it has wider access. :D

Tombi
02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Photoshop pwns GIMP down to the floor. :>

Ajarr
02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I voted for GIMP since I've never used Photoshop.

TeirusuFX
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I only use GIMP

My sis has Adobe Photoshop, and she uses a tablet, so I think she likes Photoshop more >.>

♪スタフィー♪
♫Stafy♫

Tory vs Meaty II
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I used Photoshop on another person's computer. It kelp freezing, I don't like it. It was a Windows computer. But I hate it when some Mac fans tell you to get a Mac, when it have all of this un-nessacary bullcrap. They even say that Macs are not PCs. Fool, do you even know the defenition of a PC is? Mac IS a PC, iPods ARE MP3 players. Watch, I bet in the eight generation gaming era, Apple will make a video game system called "iFlower."

"Omg, 1337 this is not a video game system, this is the iFlower! so i herd ya liek mudkipz, and **** yeah Seaking!"

GIMP is in the AIR!!

Buu
02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I used Photoshop on another person's computer. It kelp freezing, I don't like it. It was a Windows computer. But I hate it when some Mac fans tell you to get a Mac, when it have all of this un-nessacary bullcrap. They even say that Macs are not PCs. Fool, do you even know the defenition of a PC is? Mac IS a PC, iPods ARE MP3 players. Watch, I bet in the eight generation gaming era, Apple will make a video game system called "iFlower."

"Omg, 1337 this is not a video game system, this is the iFlower! so i herd ya liek mudkipz, and **** yeah Seaking!"

GIMP is in the AIR!!

Nice way to stick a mini-rant in there. :P

Photoshop's banners are just so much better. I mean, you can tell if something is made with Gimp, it's so bulky, chunky, and all around worse.

Angel-
02-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Photoshop ftw!.. It's harder to get but it's worth the sacrifice xP

Tory vs Meaty II
02-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Nice way to stick a mini-rant in there. :P

Photoshop's banners are just so much better. I mean, you can tell if something is made with Gimp, it's so bulky, chunky, and all around worse.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/Tory-Meaty/Regigigas-2.png

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/Tory-Meaty/Tory_vs.png
I made these from GIMP back in January 2008, and it doesn't look too bucky, but it is a fact that you will most likely see a photoshop banners and avatars better. I choosed GIMP, even though art work from photoshop commonly looks better, GIMP is less confusing in my opinion. But it will take longer for a GIMP picture to look good as a Photoshop one.

Rpgraccoon
02-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Tried Gimp after I had learned Photoshop. However, Gimp was just too clunky. I still prefer Photoshop. I just wish could afford the upgrade to mine.

Leki Fenrir
02-27-2009, 04:19 AM
I personally like Paint Shop Pro. X3 *random*
But, I vote for Photoshop. I like to make Animated Avatars from time to time, and it satisfies that need.

espeonera
02-27-2009, 02:23 PM
GIMP has layers. o:

Although I've been using GIMP for most of my banners, I think Photoshop. It has a much easier layout, and PS has better brushes...

You can use brushes made for PS in GIMP if the version is 2.4 or higher. :O

Hoshi
02-27-2009, 02:35 PM
I Voted gimp since its easy and quick to adapt to even though i don't own PS :rolleyes:

Shucklulz
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Eh, I prefer Photoshop. I've tried using GIMP every once and a while, and it got really confusing. Photoshop's layout is easier for me to understand, and it's all in one window. Plus it doesn't make my tablet (or the rest of my computer) lag (usually). D:

CandleJack
02-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Photoshop.
More popular.
More user-made-content(You all know DeviantART is a gift from the gods).
Much more features to choose from.
Better quality results.
Much more professional.
Reccomended by almost any professional GFX artist/photographer/magazine editor/whatever floats your boat.
All around, better. The putdown is the price, but for whats included, it's far more worth your money.

All of you people who voted the GIMP either don't know what you're missing or you're just immediately disregarding photoshop for it's price. Not to say the GIMP is an awesome little program in itself, but PS is far more superior.

Yeah. No custom fonts. I grew out of them.

Tory vs Meaty II
02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
All of you people who voted the GIMP either don't know what you're missing or you're just immediately disregarding photoshop for it's price.

ROTFL!! It is just an opinion.

CandleJack
02-28-2009, 04:54 AM
ROTFL!! It is just an opinion.

ROTFL you have no idea what you're talking about, do you.
If I recall, you also agreed in some stance that you do infact get better results when you use PS, in comparison to GIMP.
Oh and besides, is one not entitled to one's opinion on another's opinion? Think of that.

Lord Fedora
02-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Neither. I just use MS Paint. See my avvie? See my banner? Both made by me, in Paint. Nice and simple, no fancy pants effects of layering, just a basic background, what will become my signature Pokemon, and some text.

However, if forced to make a choice, I'll tell you right now, Photoshop. I tried GIMP, and it was hell to me. Honestly I wished GIMP had just been a failure in battle so I could grab a katana, commit sepuku and get it over with. So even though I've never used photoshop, it's made by Adobe and from what I've seen it looks pretty clean, so it gets my vote.

Lusitania
02-28-2009, 06:56 AM
I like GIMP. I adapted quickly to it, and it's actually fun to use. I enjoy playing with it, and would never go back to MS Paint.

Fire Away
02-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Photoshop. It's the benchmark for a reason.

Ahlat
02-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I personally like Paint Shop Pro. X3 *random*
But, I vote for Photoshop. I like to make Animated Avatars from time to time, and it satisfies that need.

You can animate in GIMP. Though photoshop is better than GIMP. For me it lags more and is just hrder to get used to. But once you do it's pretty fun and you'll enjoy it more than GIMP + better results. Oh and I have both.

Nitro
02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I use GIMP.

Lord Celebi
02-28-2009, 06:05 PM
I like Photoshop so much better.

Rekhyt
02-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Speaking as someone who has used both, I can safely say that Photoshop is better for professional use. However, if you're just going to waste seven hundred dollars to make a couple of signatures in your free time, I suggest you download GIMP. It's free and it does most of the things Photoshop does.

Or you could do the illegal thing and download Photoshop for free. It's worked for me.

MaskedJackal
03-02-2009, 01:57 AM
I think they're both about equal, except there is more instruction for Photoshop.

Sight of the Stars
03-02-2009, 02:29 AM
I like GIMP. I adapted quickly to it, and it's actually fun to use. I enjoy playing with it, and would never go back to MS Paint.

Agreed.

For those who think it's confusing, it's really not. Play with it and try out all of the brushes and you can really firgure it out. YouTube Tutorials are a lot of help and it's fun to watch.

Half of it is in the gradients, brushes, and the Filters. The other half is the scale tools, a few blurs, and mostly brushes. When you know how to use GIMP, you love it. It's free, easy to use, and it's extremely addicting. it's also frustrating when you want to make a banner but you can't think of anything you want to make. ^-^

The different graphic options are fun, and my personal favorite is the Filter<Renders<Nature<Flame since you can edit it and play with it. I used it a lot in my banners to the point where I used it too much. Now I'm trying to escape from using it all of the time. ^-^

I have also never tried PS, and I never want to. Why do it when I'm more than content with GIMP and I value my Christmas/Birthday money?

Tory vs Meaty II
03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
The poll is tied. I better make something from GIMP. ^^;

Wario
03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
We can all agree that photoshop is very powerful, although gimp is powerful in its own right, and seems to have a much easier-to-navigate interface.

Graceful_Suicune
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I like Photoshop better. Simply because I've never used Gimp properly. xD

~Xanthe.

Saturnus Magna Rock
03-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I have both, but GIMP is easier to use.

Psychedelic Shroomish
03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
PS has basically everything GIMP has and much more. GIMP is probably a bit easier to use though and more user friendly. I like PS better though!!!!!

Anastasia-R
03-15-2009, 06:05 PM
GIMP.
I never used PS before. when I got it with my tablet it was okay, but I really liked GIMP. GIMP, I almost use for everything art related (and Paint and ArtRage).

Eternal Moonlight
03-16-2009, 01:40 AM
I never got to tamper around with the school Photoshop, although I found it fun!

I downloaded GIMP, and although I can`t work it to it`s full extent, I can do more with it then I could with Photoshop.

My answer might have been differant if I got Photoshop on my computer, but since I don`t, I vote for GIMP!

Mew, Meow, Nya

Frozen
03-16-2009, 02:05 AM
I have both programs, but I prefer Photoshop. There are too many windows in GIMP, so it gets confusing. x_x

Metaphysical
03-16-2009, 02:36 AM
I only have GIMP so thats what I voted.

CyberGlion
03-16-2009, 03:00 AM
I've only used GIMP, so I don't know if I'll like PS more, but apparently more people like it, so Photoshop for me. :smile:

Honestly, that came out better in my mind.

Iridium
03-17-2009, 07:21 AM
I'll go with Photoshop. I just can't understand GIMP D: One of the reasons being this:

I have both programs, but I prefer Photoshop. There are too many windows in GIMP, so it gets confusing. x_x

Trainer17
03-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I guess it depends which you're more comfortable working with. But yeah, I'd go with Photoshop though :D

Mewchirio
03-17-2009, 06:32 PM
It was 30/30 'til I voted
And I say Photoshop, so 30/31!

~Mewchirio~

Babii Pikachu
03-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I had my 30-day trial PS thingy, and hated it. Even though I had it, I used it once, it freezed, it beeped, it wrecked my head. So go Gimp. GimpTalk is amazing for tuts btw. Besides, Gimp can do everything PS can do, and some more, except for the fact that PS is more proffessional, but not as easy as Gimp. Though sometimes it gives better results.

Zeno
03-19-2009, 08:25 PM
I noly have Photoshop so I'll go with it.