PDA

View Full Version : Battle Of The Remakes vol. I - Halloween vs Friday The 13th

The Maple Syrup Baptist
03-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Has anyone seen both? They were both remade recently, they are both remakes of classic Horror films, and both films remade were very similar to begin with.

How did you guys like them? Which did you like more?

Personally, the bat beating at the beginning of Halloween really made me uncomfortable, I guess because the remake was so much more gritty and violent. However, Friday The 13th is home to the 2 worst lines I've ever heard in film:

"Your tits are stupendous!"

"You have perfect nipple placement!"

Both in the same scene. Both utterly horrendous. Both undeniably hilarious.

I feel like Halloween would be a 1/5 to me, while Friday The 13th would be a 0.5/5. Both had entertaining scenes, but they were unintentionally funny. I can't wait to see what other masterpieces are remade in this vein.

spid3r
03-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Is this supposed to be a thread where we make fun of them? I mean, coming from a horror junkie The Halloween remake was excellent. Rob Zombie's vision on it was superb. All of the scenes showing Michael as a good were so well done. Though the movie wasn't as good when he was an adult, but it was still a great horror film. I'm so glad they are letting Rob Zombie do the sequel, I cannot wait.

On the other hand the Friday the 13th remake was not that good at all. I mean, I know slasher horror's are supposed to be cheesy, but I just felt they did it pretty badly. They way they worked in the first five Friday the 13th movies all into one I thought was a bad idea in the first place. I would much rather see a full remake of the first, just more gruesome.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
03-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Is this supposed to be a thread where we make fun of them? I mean, coming from a horror junkie The Halloween remake was excellent. Rob Zombie's vision on it was superb. All of the scenes showing Michael as a good were so well done. Though the movie wasn't as good when he was an adult, but it was still a great horror film. I'm so glad they are letting Rob Zombie do the sequel, I cannot wait.

On the other hand the Friday the 13th remake was not that good at all. I mean, I know slasher horror's are supposed to be cheesy, but I just felt they did it pretty badly. They way they worked in the first five Friday the 13th movies all into one I thought was a bad idea in the first place. I would much rather see a full remake of the first, just more gruesome.

Well, not quite make fun of, but just discuss. They were in my mind at the time so I made the thread. I didn't like Halloween just because of that one scene with the bat beating. That ruined it for me. Like, I felt dirty after I watched it. The rest of the movie wasn't too bad, but after that scene I found it hard to appreciate the movie. I respect that he made me feel so strongly about it, but I hated it at the same time. If that scene didn't sicken me in the way it did, I think I'd have given it more like a 2.5/5 or 3/5.

Friday The 13th was just awful though. I mean, I laughed out loud a few times. Although, I got annoyed by the girls screaming in the theater. I saw it opening night and a few of the girls I was with were ridiculous.

I'm a Horror junkie as well, but I am very picky with slashers.

spid3r
03-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Well you have to understand. Rob Zombie only added that just to show how bullying was a key factor in what Michael became.

Orthar
03-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Has anyone seen both? They were both remade recently, they are both remakes of classic Horror films, and both films remade were very similar to begin with.

How did you guys like them? Which did you like more?

Personally, the bat beating at the beginning of Halloween really made me uncomfortable, I guess because the remake was so much more gritty and violent. However, Friday The 13th is home to the 2 worst lines I've ever heard in film:

"Your tits are stupendous!"

"You have perfect nipple placement!"

Both in the same scene. Both utterly horrendous. Both undeniably hilarious.

I feel like Halloween would be a 1/5 to me, while Friday The 13th would be a 0.5/5. Both had entertaining scenes, but they were unintentionally funny. I can't wait to see what other masterpieces are remade in this vein.

If you think that's bad, check out Shark Attack 3:

Girl - Wow, I'm tired.

Guy - Me too, but I'm also kind of wired. How about I take you home and *blank* your *blank*.

AND SHE LETS HIM. It's a very weird movie.

Now, between Friday the 13th and Halloween I have to say I enjoyed Halloween more, though both were pretty poor remakes.

Fire Away
03-05-2009, 06:34 AM
If you've never seen a Rob Zombie horror film (and I don't think I can recommend any of his others to you if that bat scene made you feel that uncomfortable) then you'd probably understand it was an artistic choice to make the bat scene so graphic. In this society, seeing a young boy beat another boy to death elicits a powerful emotional response in most people. I do like the decision he made in making the scene be so graphic, because it really did illustrate the rage that had been building up inside him for so long in a powerful way.

I actually did like the Halloween remake. Friday The 13th almost seemed like it was some tongue-in-cheek remake of old school slasher movies with some of the lines. The fact that it was actually trying sort of nauseates me.

Here's to hoping the remake of Last House On The Left won't be as bad.

EDIT

I can't wait to see what other masterpieces are remade in this vein.

I know I Spit On Your Grave is getting a remake sometime this year, and Cannibal Holocaust is having some sort of companion film made. Assuming this was an actual inquiry. >_>