PDA

View Full Version : Vocabulary?

Professor Geoffrey
04-01-2009, 11:56 PM
To others, how is your vocabulary? Is your vocab small and likable? Or is it vexatious and lexical? Or are you on the median the separates the two?

My vocabulary is usually supererogatory and onerous, and it agitates the crap out of people... most of the time. That's why online I don't tend to use as much vocabulary - I can see how much it bugs people and is highly unnecessary. But I use it anyway in speech to prove how smart I am... or make the impression that I'm smarter than your average fourteen-year-old male that is supposed to be thinking about girls when I'm really thinking about the rest of my life, the four trilogies (and about ten to fifteen other books) I'm writing, and video games.

Neo Emolga
04-02-2009, 02:30 AM
I would say mine is pretty extensive. Putting down someone with words they don't know gets you a funnier reaction than using swear words or cursing. Of course, I don't do that very often though...

Fire Away
04-02-2009, 02:31 AM
It's pretty broad in the sense that people usually come to me to ask me what a word means. I think actually using more complex words isn't needed. When I see someone do it in a serious sense it just comes off very show-offy.

The Jr Trainer
04-02-2009, 02:33 AM
I probably have that of a 9 year-old.

Ranma
04-02-2009, 02:36 AM
My vocabulary is medium. Not very good, but not bad.

Lord Fedora
04-02-2009, 02:58 AM
My vocabulary is decent. It's rare that I hear a word I don't know but on the other hand even though I know a ton of larger, interesting words I don't generally use them, or even think with them. Rather, I have them sitting in the back of my head waiting to be brought forward and translated into layman's terms. In other words, I have a basic vocabulary with a much more extensive one almost as a second language.

Lonsie
04-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Compared to others my age I'm sure that I have an extensive vocabulary. Compared to smart people however, I am still a pre-teen and don't know many cool big words.

Bumblebee16
04-02-2009, 03:34 AM
I would say mine is pretty extensive. Putting down someone with words they don't know gets you a funnier reaction than using swear words or cursing. Of course, I don't do that very often though...

I totally agree with Neo. I think it's pretty funny when you put someone down with more sophisticated words instead of the average curse words because they usually don't know what your saying. I would say that mine is about a little more than average, but I don't use them much.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
04-02-2009, 07:50 AM
To others, how is your vocabulary? Is your vocab small and likable? Or is it vexatious and lexical? Or are you on the median the separates the two?

My vocabulary is usually supererogatory and onerous, and it agitates the crap out of people... most of the time. That's why online I don't tend to use as much vocabulary - I can see how much it bugs people and is highly unnecessary. But I use it anyway in speech to prove how smart I am... or make the impression that I'm smarter than your average fourteen-year-old male that is supposed to be thinking about girls when I'm really thinking about the rest of my life, the four trilogies (and about ten to fifteen other books) I'm writing, and video games.

Somewhere between the two. Lol.

I agree with you. :D

*Makes a mental note to be more attentive in class just for this purpose* :twisted:

Yoda55
04-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Mine is okish

Ajarr
04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
My vocab is..... not that good.

Chromatic Alchemist
04-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Somewhere between the two. Lol.

I agree with you. :D

*Makes a mental note to be more attentive in class just for this purpose* :twisted:

Yoo, my friend, are queer. And, I'd say my voocabulery is l33t. No kidding. But, I don't always use it. I prefer Neo's idea, personally.

Cherry
04-02-2009, 11:00 PM
My vocabulary isn't impressive, but it's not completely horrifying or anything. I'm probably in the middle.

Orange_Flaaffy
04-03-2009, 03:51 AM
My vocabulary is...odd because of the nature of my learning disability:redface:. I know a lot of words, what they mean and how to use them, but I don't use them from the most part online or in real life. This is because when speaking I have a speech trouble and often say words wrong, and online I always use small words rather than bigger ones I know would fit a sentence better because of my dyslexia and spelling troubles and my fear of getting laughed at (since I am twenty-five:tongue:) :sad:.
As a result of all this most of my vocabulary is bottled up and hardly ever used save in my fanfics with a beta and many many spell checks....
So I don't know how good my vocabulary is since I have barely been able to tap into it all these years..I do read many books, so it must be better than most:happy:

Blast the Stereo
04-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Mine's definitely pretty decent for my age, seeing as I'm generally the one people ask what a word means. :/

Isaac8296
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
My vocabulary is probably more advanced than most 12-13 year olds.So... I guess im pretty advanced for my age^^.... But i dont use really sophisticated words alot because if i do, people wouldnt understand me.... hehehehe

Splishee
04-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I find it extremely irritating when people attempt to show off an extensive vocabulary in discussions in order to make themselves seem smart or powerful in some way.

It doesn't work. At all. It makes you look like an arrogant, 10 year old ass. >:l

Orange_Flaaffy
04-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, part of having a good vocabulary is using it well..and sometimes knowing when not to use it is just as important :happy:.

-Pichu Boy-
04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I find it extremely irritating when people attempt to show off an extensive vocabulary in discussions in order to make themselves seem smart or powerful in some way.

It doesn't work. At all. It makes you look like an arrogant, 10 year old ass. >:l

I must protest and declare that utilising one's vocabulary to the utmost best of one's abilities is rather a fasciating experience. It makes one's posts seem intelligent, extensive and extremely authoritative.

J/k. :D

I have quite a good vocabulary, imo. People usually come to me and ask 'what does that mean' and as Neo said, it's funny watching them go 'wuut...' when I say something that they don't understand ;)

Snow Fairy Sugar
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I keep my vocabulary during conversations simple/short. Using advanced words during a conversation/groupie may make one look cool - in their own eyes. Everyone else thinks of them as a nerd.

-Zodeon
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I like to do my best to use a higher standard of vocabulary than everyone else on the internet because I don't like the idea of standard english diminishing to something horrible.

Orange_Flaaffy
04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I am just glad I pre-date chat speak :). Of course, what with many people on the internet not caring I have been told often that they can't tell I have dyslexia :3

Bryce
04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
lol, Kaitie. <3

@Pichu Boy: Your post failed, as none of those words were even extensive.

---

I'd say I have a pretty good vocabulary, but I really only ever use it when I write. :P

-Pichu Boy-
04-03-2009, 08:51 PM
@Pichu Boy: Your post failed, as none of those words were even extensive.

Heh, guess I was more thinking of the stereotypical 'British' person more than using a wide range of vocabulary when I typed it. Ah well, can't blame a guy for trying. :P

AngelWings_KoKoPuff
04-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a wide vocabulary, definitely advanced for my age. However, I know when to use it. I don't like to use it unless in one of my advanced classes, because it makes me seem like a know-it-all jerk, and I'm not (or try not to be). ^^'

Poring
04-03-2009, 09:53 PM
But I use it anyway in speech to prove how smart I am...

You shouldn't have to use large words to prove that you're intelligent.

Quoted for truth!

I know enough words.

Eun Min
04-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I think my vocabulary is pretty advanced and diverse (Saki Hanajima and Arisa Uotani from Fruits Basket has some influences on my vocabulary, too). But I only use it in writing, like in stories and poems because if I use it in conversations and chats people would think that I'm such a boring person, or think that I'm too smart for them. Anyway, I'm used to speaking normally without using "big words", and I'm comfortable speaking that way!

Professor Geoffrey
04-04-2009, 12:07 AM
I keep my vocabulary during conversations simple/short. Using advanced words during a conversation/groupie may make one look cool - in their own eyes. Everyone else thinks of them as a nerd.

It's called self-gratification. So are a lot of other perverted things, but to me, using complex words to agitate others is one of the sweetest.

You shouldn't have to use large words to prove that you're intelligent.

No, I don't have to, but it's like a peacock flaunting its feathers. Only I'm not attracting a mate. Hakken would kill me. :P

By the way, I don't only use the large words to prove others I'm intelligent. I mainly use it when I'm writing my books (because when on PE2K, my vocabulary is normally next to crap), or to aggravate friends I know will only be angry for like, two seconds. People who don't get all sensitive and say that you're a nerd and that you shouldn't use long words because they won't understand.

*cough*

Larvinator
04-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I tend to confuse people, and a lot of my friends groan about how they can't understand half of what I'm saying because "The words are so BIG!". Unfortunately, I can't really control it, it just sort of...pops out. Ehehe... Yeah, everyone thinks I'm a nerd. XD

complexmanifold
04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Mine is very good. :happy:

Elite luxray
04-05-2009, 12:05 AM
If you're talking about the understanding of big, good words mean, yes.

If you're talking about using them in daily life, no.

but i do like using a good word every once and a while. :)

Vaughn
04-05-2009, 01:35 AM
I use really good vocabulary when I'm talking to important people such as business people.
I use really bad vocabulary when I'm talking to non-important people such as friends and family.

FireBrawl Latios
04-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I know a lot of scientific and mathematical terms. Otherwise my vocabulary is mediocre. But I had somehow memorised a few difficult (or foreign) words with the purpose of cursing without the other party knowing for sure that I am swearing at them.

Shozuka
04-05-2009, 04:10 PM
My vocabulary is better than your average eleven year old. I'm the one telling people how to spell words and such. xP
People look at me like I have three heads when I say words that they don't know, so I try to neglect it.

Azure
04-05-2009, 04:13 PM
My vocabulary is insurmountable. Ergo, arguably infallible.

Professor Geoffrey
04-06-2009, 03:36 AM
What pulchritudinous vocabulary were are manifesting at this contemporary moment.

cub0nes_sp0tlessmind
04-06-2009, 05:17 AM
Me talk good. Hey, I'm just kidding. I'd like to think that my vocabulary is somewhere in between, perhaps in some decadent limbo where I don't care to leave.

Orange_Flaaffy
04-06-2009, 05:26 AM
What pulchritudinous vocabulary were are manifesting at this contemporary moment.
*lol* That is not exactly the right application of 'contemporary' dear :).

Sometimes it's best to use little words that fit a statement exactly rather than words that, while not really wrong, can be a little jarring to read :3.

Often when you see words like that you can tell that they are ether: Not a natural part of the writers everyday vocabulary and/or someone has been using their thesaurus as a writing teddy bear ;).
Thesaurus' are very huggable but you have to careful how much they 'help' :).

Azure
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Flaunting vocabulary works better when you have proper grammar to go along with it.

*lol* That is not exactly the right application of 'contemporary' dear :).

Also, this.

Professor Geoffrey
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Flaunting vocabulary works better when you have proper grammar to go along with it.

Sorry - slight typo. D:

Been known to happen. Happens to all of us.

04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
In real life, I have a very good vocabulary. For an eleven-year-old. I correct my teachers grammer and am always telling my friends how to spell stuff. But, on the internet or MSN, I normally tend not to pay attention to grammer.

Shadow Eevee
04-18-2009, 03:17 AM
I guess my vocabulary is good for my age, but I barely even bother using it, seeing as I have to explain what each word means to my friends. :/ For tests and essays, I'm always including bigger words, but unless if I'm trying to impress someone, I'm probably using my normal vocab. :P

Calypso
04-18-2009, 09:36 AM
I probably have that of a 9 year-old.
This.

And this. It doesn't necessarily make you superior in any sense, and tbh, it just doesn't sound natural the majority of the time.

Kayden Javlaíakín
04-19-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd say my vocabulary's pretty extensive but, much like Neo, the only time I really utilize it is when I'm writing. My real-life friends often get onto me if I use larger words. Granted, though, they aren't the smartest bunch.

"What the hell does 'fastidious' mean?"

Yeah. xD

Skylands
05-30-2009, 08:40 PM
I consider my vocabulary to be flexible when I want it to be, and minuscule when I feel like it. I always attempt to be syntactically, grammatically, and orthographically correct. Sometimes, complex words spur into my mind like the snap of a finger. Others, they ease away and I remain with what I would use in daily life.

I suppose the words I use are based off of my mindset, in a nutshell.