PDA

View Full Version : Twilight vs. Harry Potter

Uomo
04-13-2009, 03:32 AM
ROFLMAO I haven't made a poll in *ages*. :D

Twlight (by Stephanie Meyer) the smutty vampire love series, or Harry Potter (by J.K. Rowling) the magical series of awesome?

Woodchuck
04-13-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm going with Harry on this one. Just because he's awesome. ;D

-Jake-

Dancing Mad
04-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Harry Potter cause Twilight just never appealed to me.

Trainer17
04-13-2009, 03:47 AM
Fictional Characters are always Fictional Characters. I'm going with Harry Potter :3

Shen
04-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Despite the risk of bodily harm from Twihards (just joking, you people crazy about the disco-ball vamps)...

I'm going with Harry Potter, hands down.

It helps I've never seen/read any Twilight series thing, and I've read every Harry Potter book AND seen every Harry Potter movie to date...:oops:

Orthar
04-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Harry Potter.

The following image pretty much sums up my views on Twilight:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w244/JTX7/1237959232341.jpg

Shen
04-13-2009, 04:09 AM
*notes Painkiller voted Twilight*

Accident? Or a ruse? :P

Orthar
04-13-2009, 04:11 AM
*notes Painkiller voted Twilight*

Accident? Or a ruse? :P

The former of the two, it's late.

Don't get me wrong though, Twilight is a steaming pile of garbage.

Shadow Eevee
04-13-2009, 04:23 AM
Haven't really read or done anything Harry Potter related, so Twilight wins for me.

Lord Fedora
04-13-2009, 04:44 AM
I actually read the first chapter of Twilight. Then I put it away and never looked at it again. Harry, all the way.

Shadow From The Deep
04-13-2009, 04:52 AM
I voted for the wizard. Twilight just never appealed to me. And omg that picture of the twilight thing made me laugh soooo hard :crackup::crackup:

Soda
04-13-2009, 04:59 AM
Twilight may or may not be a good book, but it brought about way too much crap for me to ever like it.

Harry Potters owns anyways!

Master Aqua
04-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Twilight is just over hyped rubbish. Harry Potter is actually everything it's hyped out to be and then some.

atucker22
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Harry Potter for sure. Twilight is an epic fail.

Ajarr
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Harry Potter > Twilight

Without a doubt.

-Zodeon
04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Harry Potter, never read or watched Twilight. Sounds pretty lame though :neutral:

Vaughn
04-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I have read both series, and I liked Harry Potter better. I'm not really into vampire-humans.

ShadowUmbreon545
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I chose twilight.i watched the movie and read all four books in the series.

Azumi
04-13-2009, 04:34 PM
K. So.
Twilight is about some sparkly vampires who don't die in the sunlight like real vampires should and eat salads. (veggie vampires just shouldn't work out, the original concept is based around blood, correct?)
Harry Potter is about some kid who flies around on a broom and can turn rocks into birds with a supermagicdesu wand. (POOF hay mom ur a doggey nao!!! omg ill naem u arfeu and ull b my bes friend!!!)

Honestly, I've ever been all that close to fantasy books. Neither for me. I do admit that Harry Potter is better than Twilight, though. (Twilight = fail)

EDIT;;
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! A TWILIGHT... AD... at the... bottom of my... screen...
/dead

DragoniteMistress
04-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Harry Potter by a hugeass long shot.

Ayotui
04-13-2009, 05:47 PM
British novels are better than American ones

harry potter is a british novel so it wins. twilight = :(

Stubby Boardman
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I not really into vampires and Harry Potter series was just awesome because of Luna lol

Lusankya
04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Twilight. Does. Not. Even. Come. Close. >:(

Operative
04-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Harry Potter > Twilight

There's no other possible answer. Twilight is a cheap excuse of a novel. Vampires don't sparkle.

That's all I'm saying.

This is a Vampire (http://bishounen.info/alucard/alucard3.jpg) > This is not a Vampire (http://gallery.just-cullen.com/albums/nuevas1/EDWARD%2BOME.jpg)

Bryce
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Twilight is nice, but Harry Potter really does completely stomp it to the ground.

Harry Potter.

Cherry
04-13-2009, 09:39 PM
I read a few chapters from Twilight. The next day I gave it away. :|
Harry gets my vote.

TeirusuFX
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Harry FTW

The awsomeness of teh comedy cannot be beat

"...Murder me Harry."

♪マイルス♪
♫Mairusu♫

RawrIsMyMiddleName
04-13-2009, 10:53 PM
To be honest, I fuhfreaking love both of the plots. I like Twilight's a lot, but to be honest, SMeyer is not the best righter. I think J.K Rowling is one of the best authors ever and Harry Potter owns.

Harry Potter > Twilight

There's no other possible answer. Twilight is a cheap excuse of a novel. Vampires don't sparkle.

That's all I'm saying.

This is a Vampire (http://bishounen.info/alucard/alucard3.jpg) > This is not a Vampire (http://gallery.just-cullen.com/albums/nuevas1/EDWARD%2BOME.jpg)

Excuse her for having an imagination.

Charbok
04-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Twilight, without a doubt.

Ridley
04-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Both/Neither/IDC.

Graceful_Suicune
04-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Harry Potter. :P Easier and more entertaining to make fun of. :3

~Xanthe.

Uomo
04-14-2009, 11:34 PM
And wizards don't play computer games.

Uhm, they don't in HP.

I'm *pleasantly surprised* at the results! VOTE HARRY I COMMAND YOU >:o

Lonsie
04-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Harry Potter ftw. x)

...who else is seeing HBP at midnight premiere?

Ahlat
04-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Twighlight wasn't as good asit is now untill the movie came but Harry Potter was popular before the movie came out.

Yoda55
04-14-2009, 11:49 PM
They both suck to be honest:confused:

Ace of Hearts
04-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Why would you even compare these two series? They're both fantasy books, I will give you that, but to be honest, there's not much to compare. They're really different from each other, and I can't find many similarities between the books.

But going back on topic, as I tend to go off-topic like above, I would have to say Harry Potter. A well-written book, and very descriptive. Intriguing, and I knew ever since the beginning I knew it would be an amazing book. Twilight... it just isn't anything marvelous. I don't have anything against Meyer, it's just not the best book. It's writing is flawed, the plot is a bit empty in my opinion, though I totally understand it, I just don't like it. I'm not discriminating it or anything, it's just not the book for me, to be honest.

Relith
04-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Harry Potter > Twilight

Without a doubt.
Twilight FTW!

Kick ass series.
Harry potter is a nerd.

Scytherwolf
04-15-2009, 05:49 AM
I've never read or watched Twilight (nor do I know much about it), so Harry Potter for me. ^^

Kei Ochima
04-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I like Twilight better then Harry Potter. But i cant wait for the next Harry Potter movie to come out in theaters XD

Professor Geoffrey
04-16-2009, 12:32 AM
I love Twilight, honestly... but Harry Potter is by far the best series I've ever read.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
04-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Both are awesome in their own way. Why even bother to argue? :|

Wisp
04-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Both series are brilliant, but Twilight wins my vote. :3
I like the shmushy-loving-dovey stuff. Harry still kicks ass though. ^-^

Ozymandias
04-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I've read both, but Harry Potter was my first fandom and was/is the best childrens saga of all time (for me).

Mewchirio
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Personally, I despise Twilight. Simply just because the movie was awful yet the book wasn't too bad. But most of all it's all this new craze with it that makes it so awful. I love Harry Potter anyway so even without the fandom, it would still win the vote. By far

~Mewchirio~

skiboydoggy
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I think Stephen King said it best.

“Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people… The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”

Excuse me as I fail to appreciate the poorly written paper thin love story which somehow manages to persuade girls that the love of their life must be perfectly handsome, sparkly, AND LOOKs INTO THEIR WINDOWS AS THEY SLEEP. It's not only a bad book, the values it brings forth are terrible.

Mewchirio
04-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by King
“Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people… The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”
Best. Quote. Ever. It's so true

~Mewchirio~

Gold Rush
04-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Twighlight looks pretty crap, and harry potter was okay, so I guess I'll just vote for that :o

-Pichu Boy-
04-16-2009, 06:22 PM
K. So.
Twilight is about some sparkly vampires who don't die in the sunlight like real vampires should and eat salads. (veggie vampires just shouldn't work out, the original concept is based around blood, correct?)
Harry Potter is about some kid who flies around on a broom and can turn rocks into birds with a supermagicdesu wand. (POOF hay mom ur a doggey nao!!! omg ill naem u arfeu and ull b my bes friend!!!)

Honestly, I've ever been all that close to fantasy books. Neither for me. I do admit that Harry Potter is better than Twilight, though. (Twilight = fail)

EDIT;;
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! A TWILIGHT... AD... at the... bottom of my... screen...
/dead

The bolded bit fails in two ways. A) Vampires don't exist, so you can't say 'like a real vampire'. B) Vampires don't eat meat to begin with. They drink blood, just the vampires in Twilight's 'father' doesn't drink human blood and neither do his 'children'. They feed off animals instead.

They're both good. Harry Potter is probably slightly better IMO, but I'm gonna vote both. :O

Volcanflame
04-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Harry Potter, of course :D

Both are awesome in their own way. Why even bother to argue? :|

If you really think so, why even bother to post? :|

-Volcan-

AngelWings_KoKoPuff
04-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I voted Twilight. I loved the series. I've never... *awaits fans of HP to crowd around* ...actually read Harry Potter. *awaits mauling*

We Taste Pies...
04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey, both suck. Stop arguing about it and get a life, PUH-LEASE.

You'll thank me later :wink:

Mitsuzo-kun
04-17-2009, 06:48 PM
To be honest, the two aren't even remotely similar. One is a vampire-romance story, the other is about wizards and magic. Sorry but you can't make a comparison. It'd make more sense to have two separate polls and say "do you like harry potter/do you like twilight". And all of you that are basing your judgement of twilight from the movie, don't. Read the four books, or at least just the first. The movie was nowhere near as amazing as the novel.

skiboydoggy
04-18-2009, 03:18 AM
To be honest, the two aren't even remotely similar. One is a vampire-romance story, the other is about wizards and magic. Sorry but you can't make a comparison. It'd make more sense to have two separate polls and say "do you like harry potter/do you like twilight". And all of you that are basing your judgement of twilight from the movie, don't. Read the four books, or at least just the first. The movie was nowhere near as amazing as the novel.
There's a basis for comparison because they're both novels. The strength of the plot (of which there is none in Twilight), the power of the language used (which is mostly devoted to describing how perfect Edward is in Twilight), and the general entertainment value (of which Twilight only appeals to adolescent girls who think stalkers make good lovers).

Bryce
04-18-2009, 04:36 AM
and the general entertainment value (of which Twilight only appeals to adolescent girls who think stalkers make good lovers).

Wrong. Don't make stupid generalizations like that.

But yeah, Jackson, they're both novels, thus we can judge which is better, which is more entertaining, which is better written. (In which, in my opinion, Harry Potter wins hands down).

I do agree, though, that people who haven't read both series (or at least a book of each) have no place choosing which is better. It's ridiculous to vote ignorantly based on a single concept like sparkly vampires. Read the book; become educated in what you are arguing against before you bash a novel.

skiboydoggy
04-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Wrong. Don't make stupid generalizations like that.

Except it's not a stupid generalisation. Adolescent girls are the demographic of Twilight after all, and let's just say Edward and Bella's ideas on love are skewed at best. The novel hardly reaches outside this demographic, and most discerning readers will put down the book halfway through because of a headache.

I do agree, though, that people who haven't read both series (or at least a book of each) have no place choosing which is better. It's ridiculous to vote ignorantly based on a single concept like sparkly vampires. Read the book; become educated in what you are arguing against before you bash a novel.

Sparkly vampires ARE stupid though, made even worse by the fact that Smeyer herself admitted that she did no research on vampire lore before writing the book, and that the sparkles came before the vampires. She made a sparkly boy, and just threw on the name of vampire for the heck of it, and apparently to attract people who think she's the next Anne Rice.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
04-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Harry Potter, of course :D

If you really think so, why even bother to post? :|

-Volcan-

Because you guys are arguing. :|

skiboydoggy
04-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Because you guys are arguing. :|
Yeah, let's not exchange opinions on a forum. You know how silly that is?

Bryce
04-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Sparkly vampires ARE stupid though, made even worse by the fact that Smeyer herself admitted that she did no research on vampire lore before writing the book, and that the sparkles came before the vampires. She made a sparkly boy, and just threw on the name of vampire for the heck of it, and apparently to attract people who think she's the next Anne Rice.

I wasn't aware that there was ever a set-in-stone rule about what characteristics vampires must adhere to. Excuse her for taking her own liberties with her own imagination to write something that she never even intended to have published. I'm sure that most readers wouldn't want to read the same thing over and over again, so she took a different approach to it.

... And like I said before, people that base an opinion on a book just because of such an insignificant aspect like that when they haven't even read the book are ridiculous. It's just like someone saying, "Oh, I despise Harry Potter, because wizards aren't supposed to have glasses!"

Light_Sky
04-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Harry Potter.
Twilight sucks. Half the girls I know think its the best. -.- Twilight had the worst acting.

skiboydoggy
04-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I wasn't aware that there was ever a set-in-stone rule about what characteristics vampires must adhere to. Excuse her for taking her own liberties with her own imagination to write something that she never even intended to have published. I'm sure that most readers wouldn't want to read the same thing over and over again, so she took a different approach to it.

... And like I said before, people that base an opinion on a book just because of such an insignificant aspect like that when they haven't even read the book are ridiculous. It's just like someone saying, "Oh, I despise Harry Potter, because wizards aren't supposed to have glasses!"

The only real prerequisite to being a vampire is drinking blood, so yes, the sparkepires do qualify as vampires. That however, does not excuse vampire characteristics that are plain stupid half the time, especially since the most important thing about a vampire - drinking blood - is downplayed majorly all of the time, especially the one time that it matters, when Bella becomes a vampire. By right, and this is talked about in the novels themselves, new vampires should go crazy with bloodlust, but Bella gets this completely handwaved.

The sparklepires aren't the only bad thing about Twilight, and are certainly not the worst thing, but I find that 'It has sparkly vampires' completely sums up what the book represents. A perversion of what we know and love, written like a bad fanfic. People don't stray horribly from established lore for good reason, especially if they have not established that they are good writers. If Smeyer was the best writer ever, (and she's not, before anyone says anything,) nobody would have any grounds to complain. Sparkly vampires would quickly supersede the reverse-palm-cannot-cross-water-cannot-enter-house-uninvited-is-weakened-in-the-sun vampires. I mean, a story that I find brilliant, Tsukihime, has vampires doing all the most ludicrous things, such as one managing to turn himself into a manifestation of baseless rumours that cannot be killed.

Oh yeah, and the introduction of sparkles was so bad it was funny. "This is the skin of a killer."

I lol'd.

Oh, and there's a completely disproportionate number of Twilight fangirls who actually attack people occasionally with the intent to kill when they express the least level of dislike of their new Bible. It ranges from wishing a miscarriage upon pregnant women to actually flinging acid into people's faces, just because they didn't like Twilight. I'm not sure whether homicidal adolescent girls like Twilight, or Twilight makes adolescent girls homicidal, but it's a fairly disturbing trend.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, let's not exchange opinions on a forum. You know how silly that is?

What, in my first post I already did. >:|

Uomo
04-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Harry Potter.
Twilight sucks. Half the girls I know think its the best. -.- Twilight had the worst acting.

iawtc

Harry Potter picks the grade-A actors and Twilight had...uhm, Rob Pattinson? Heheh, he said in interviews he had more fun with the Harry Potter 4 thing than Twilight. ;]

skiboydoggy
04-24-2009, 07:49 PM
iawtc

Harry Potter picks the grade-A actors and Twilight had...uhm, Rob Pattinson? Heheh, he said in interviews he had more fun with the Harry Potter 4 thing than Twilight. ;]
He also said Twilight was terrible and he was only in it because he lost a bet.

Maleficent
04-25-2009, 12:22 AM
I have to choose between a gay wizard and sparkling softball players?

I'd have to go with Harry Potter.