PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Names Pronunciation

Graceful_Suicune
04-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Do you have trouble pronouncing some Pokemon names if you haven't heard them before?

One of my friends thought that 'Suicune' was pronounced: "SWIN-see". She also thought that 'Celebi' was pronounced: "sel-EE-bee". She also seemed to thing that it was: "toe-GET-ic" for 'Togetic'. I thought she was crazy when I heard those, but it turns out that some names weren't pronounced how I first thought, either. x3

So, are there names here and there that you hear in the anime or something and go: "...Oh."?

~Xanthe.

Totoquil
04-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Yeah, I've gotten the pronunciation of a few wrong. I used to think Doduo was pronounced like "Dough-dwough." (I was young then. =P) I also didnt know how to pronounce Bagon or Milotic. But none of the mispronunciations were as bad as when my friends and I used to think Ursaring was called Ultris. >> I don't even know how we managed to get that.

Shadow From The Deep
04-18-2009, 02:43 AM
I used to think Kyogre was pronounced Ky-gore =) Then i realized where the G actually was.

Totoquil
04-18-2009, 02:46 AM
I used to think Kyogre was pronounced Ky-gore =) Then i realized where the G actually was.

Oh yeah, that was another one that alot of people at my school mispronounced. I thought it was "Kai-oh-gree" for a long time. =P

Ridley
04-18-2009, 02:51 AM
I say Rayquaza "wrong" since I say Ray-kwah-zuh, but I think the 'official' pronounciation of Ray-kway-zuh is retarded anyway.

Operative
04-18-2009, 03:02 AM
I used to think " Miss-ma-gee-uhs " was pronounced " Miss-may-guhs "

complexmanifold
04-18-2009, 03:02 AM
I know how to read I guess. :ermm:

Dr Robotnik
04-18-2009, 03:09 AM
I can't even recall how many I've mispronounced >.< But I DO know that the Anime mispronounced Giratina's name (in MY opinion).

Hoshika
04-18-2009, 03:13 AM
I say Rayquaza "wrong" since I say Ray-kwah-zuh, but I think the 'official' pronounciation of Ray-kway-zuh is retarded anyway.

The pronounciation was actually changed when the dub went from 4Kids to The Pokémon Company. This happened with Bonsly, too, and a few others.

If the name is the same or is similar to the Japanese version, say it like you would say it in Japanese. That's what I do.

Professor Geoffrey
04-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Oh, I get them right all the time. The only one I remember getting wrong was Shellos, so I clicked the first option.

Graceful_Suicune
04-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Oh yeah, that was another one that alot of people at my school mispronounced. I thought it was "Kai-oh-gree" for a long time. =P

xD Yeah, I think that was pretty common. They kinda spelled the Pokemon's name weird, and nobody knew how to pronounce it. xD (especially since in the Sinnoh Handbook they didn't put the pronunciation--unlike the previous handbooks.

No your's is right. :3 Or, at least--that's how I say it. xD

~Xanthe.

-Pichu Boy-
04-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Kyogre -> 'Kigh-rohg' (pronounced like 'rogue') instead of 'Kigh-ogre'. Then I heard it on the anime and finally realised where the 'r' was...

Milotic -> 'Mih-low-tick' ('ih' as in 'flick') instead of 'Migh-low-tick'. Again, heard it on the anime when Wallace sent his out.

Electivire -> 'Eh-lect-a-veer' instead of 'Eh-lect-a-vyre'. Heard it on PBR.

There're probably more xD

Scytherwolf
04-18-2009, 08:59 AM
I remember when my quilava evolved in Gold version (which was my first game and back when I didn't know all that much about pokemon aside from what I saw on the show-and I hadn't seen many Johto episodes yet) I had no idea how to say Typhlosion's name. After several failed attempts at trying to say it out loud I showed it to my dad and asked him "how do you say this word?" He told me how he thought it was pronounced, which turned out to be the correct way xD

I also remember pronouncing milotic wrong, and tropius, and I'm still not sure how kyogre is supposed to sound. oO (Me and my sister say "Kye-ogre")

Apart from that I usually get the names right.

Dark Salamence
04-18-2009, 09:05 AM
No your's is right. :3 Or, at least--that's how I say it. xD

~Xanthe.

Same with me. I think Ray-kwah-zuh sounds better. ^-^

I used to have quite a few mispronunciations. Like, I used to pronounce Gardevoir as Gra-ve-dor (somehow) and Groudon as Groo-don. Also, for years I used to think that Dunsparce was spelt as 'Dunsprance,' therefore making me pronounce it as Dun-sprance. xD

♥-Elana-♥

PapaLuLu27
04-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I say Ray-kwah-zuh.
Popular contreversy!
Grow(as in Ouch)-don
or
Groo-don
?

♪~Luis~♫

Graceful_Suicune
04-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Milotic -> 'Mih-low-tick' ('ih' as in 'flick') instead of 'Migh-low-tick'. Again, heard it on the anime when Wallace sent his out.

Electivire -> 'Eh-lect-a-veer' instead of 'Eh-lect-a-vyre'. Heard it on PBR.

There're probably more xD

Oh my gosh! Me too! But I still say Milotic the way you used to say it. :3 It sounds too awkward the proper way. xD

Same with me. I think Ray-kwah-zuh sounds better. ^-^

I used to have quite a few mispronunciations. Like, I used to pronounce Gardevoir as Gra-ve-dor (somehow) and Groudon as Groo-don. Also, for years I used to think that Dunsparce was spelt as 'Dunsprance,' therefore making me pronounce it as Dun-sprance. xD

♥-Elana-♥

:D

Lol. Well, me and my........"friend" (:susp:) used to think it was "GAR-deh-vor". And I had the same thing with the "Groudon" pronunciation. x3

And Scy--I didn't have that with Typhlosion. xD But again, that same..."friend"...thought it was "ty-FLOO-shen"--but I kept telling it her it was wrong.

~Xanthe.

Trainer17
04-18-2009, 10:06 AM
My cute little niece used to call Kyogre (Kyo-gwey) and I always tell her, no it's (Kai-YO-GER), it's so adorable when she says Ger x33

Some other fail pronunciation I made.

Weavile (Weee-vel) instead of (Weee-Vile)
Shaymin (Shy-min) instead of (Shey-Min)

Graceful_Suicune
04-18-2009, 10:13 AM
My cute little niece used to call Kyogre (Kyo-gwey) and I always tell her, no it's (Kai-YO-GER), it's so adorable when she says Ger x33

Some other fail pronunciation I made.

Weavile (Weee-vel) instead of (Weee-Vile)
Shaymin (Shy-min) instead of (Shey-Min)

Aww! <3 x3

I used to think that that was it for Weavile, too. x3 But not Shaymin. xD

~Xanthe.

F.D.
04-18-2009, 10:17 AM
I used to say "Dark-Ray" until I seen the movie, saying it's "Dar-Cri"

Also, how the hell do you pronounce Buizel?

on the anime they say Weasel.

~ Nick .

PapaLuLu27
04-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I used to say "Dark-Ray" until I seen the movie, saying it's "Dar-Cri"

Also, how the hell do you pronounce Buizel?

on the anime they say Weasel.

~ Nick .

"Bwee-zel" That's how I say it :3

♪~Luis~♫

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
04-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I always get this wrong, that wrong. Too many to list. >_>

And too hard to change some people's mindsets.

We need a standard or something.

Ajarr
04-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Not really, except for Kyogre. I used to call it "Ky-o-grey".

-Zodeon
04-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm probably allright with the original 251 Pokemon, but since then I haven't watched the anime once, so the new guys will stump me.

Akatsuki
04-18-2009, 12:48 PM
For Bonsly is it Bonslee or Bonslie and I say Ray-qwah-zah

Gold Rush
04-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Yea I used to Spell Rayquaza and Kyogre wrong, but the rest of them I'm pretty good with :o

Graceful_Suicune
04-19-2009, 01:00 PM
"Bwee-zel" That's how I say it :3

♪~Luis~♫

Ditto. :3

For Bonsly is it Bonslee or Bonslie and I say Ray-qwah-zah

I pronounce it: "BONZ-lee". But I think "BONZ-lie" is correct. x3 Not sure. Wait--my Pokemon Handbook says it's: "BON-sly"... That could be either way. xD

~Xanthe.

Mewchirio
04-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm always right. The Anime is just wrong. "Ray-qway-za"? Yeah right. Sounds like "Ray-Quavers". It's "Ray-qwah-za".
I did used to call Groudon "Ground-on" xD

~Mewchirio~

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
04-25-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm always right. The Anime is just wrong. "Ray-qway-za"? Yeah right. Sounds like "Ray-Quavers". It's "Ray-qwah-za".
I did used to call Groudon "Ground-on" xD

~Mewchirio~

Betcha anything Chuck Norris set these pronunciations, foring the top guys (and us) to use them. >_>

That would explain the change in pronunciations of Pokemon such as Bonsly.