PDA

View Full Version : English

Ranma
04-24-2009, 12:47 AM
What do you think of this class?

I hate english more than any other class, because it requires so much of my time to do well. Most my other classes I can handle without doing anything outside of school, but English takes up hours of my time a week, and I hate it.

I spend 1/2 of my awake day at school, I don't see why I have to spend even more every day.

Yoda55
04-24-2009, 01:24 AM
I hate that.:dazed: English is fail. Math is win.

Eternal Moonlight
04-24-2009, 02:00 AM
I love English class! We had an awesome teacher, cool assignments and no tests/quizes.
Actually English is probably my fav class of the semester!

Mew, Meow, Nya

aliensong
04-24-2009, 02:28 AM
You know, English is the universal language in the world, so learn it well is very important.:happy:

Ranma
04-24-2009, 10:35 AM
I love English class! We had an awesome teacher, cool assignments and no tests/quizes.
Actually English is probably my fav class of the semester!

Mew, Meow, Nya

I really rather tests and quizzes, because they allow me to use what I learn in class, instead of doing assignments at home...

You know, English is the universal language in the world, so learn it well is very important.:happy:

Learning it well is one thing. Honestly, I don't care if I can write a 5-paragraph essay with 14 sentenses a paragraph. >.<

Splishee
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Writing essays sucks, but it gives you training in using sophisticated language and debating/discussion skills; which are very helpful in finding a job, as well as general life.

YOUR ENGLISH TEACHERS KNOW BEST. ;_;

(I like English. :3)

Mitsuzo-kun
04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I used to kinda like English, until this year. My English teacher is just... icky. I enjoy the creative side of it, but I don't really like her and all the moaning she does. -.-

Sea Angel
04-28-2009, 09:54 PM
English is confusing. But sometimes fun.

Vaughn
04-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't like English that much. I love writing stories, but not like expressing it. :goofy:

Broderick
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I like english, but not writing essays. .-.

Phantom Kat
04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I actually really like English. We write a lot in that class. Most of our tests have been to write an essay, sometimes including more than one book. And the research paper we just had was really stressful. However, we're learning about writing techniques, word choice, and all that good stuff that will really help me not only with my own writing but with my junior year next year where I'm going to take AP English. It feels awesome to be getitng an A from the teacher who has the reputation of being the toughest teacher in the school. ^^

- Kat

Ham and Cheese
04-28-2009, 10:55 PM
I love English; it's my favorite subject. <3 I'm seriously such a geek when it comes to things like that and I actually enjoy learning about grammar and syntax. I can write a MEAN five paragraph essay, if I do say so myself. :P Then again, I'd like to think I'm pretty good at writing in general. I don't like some of the boring books we have to read, though. ;(

Ranma
04-29-2009, 01:28 AM
I don't like English that much. I love writing stories, but not like expressing it. :goofy:

I don't really like writing stories. Honestly, I'd rather just present my thoughts before the class in a story like manner...

I actually really like English. We write a lot in that class. Most of our tests have been to write an essay, sometimes including more than one book. And the research paper we just had was really stressful. However, we're learning about writing techniques, word choice, and all that good stuff that will really help me not only with my own writing but with my junior year next year where I'm going to take AP English. It feels awesome to be getitng an A from the teacher who has the reputation of being the toughest teacher in the school. ^^

- Kat

That research paper gave me hell... 78% Only reason I even did that good was I presented first. :)

I love English; it's my favorite subject. <3 I'm seriously such a geek when it comes to things like that and I actually enjoy learning about grammar and syntax. I can write a MEAN five paragraph essay, if I do say so myself. :P Then again, I'd like to think I'm pretty good at writing in general. I don't like some of the boring books we have to read, though. ;(

My 5-paragraph essays are medium at best...

My favorite academic class is Math. Easy as hell, even though it's incredibly boring. I'm really advanced in math, but they keep me in academic math. -.-

Phantom Kat
04-29-2009, 03:45 AM

So THAT'S how you spell it. xD lol *goes to change that in Julius Caesar notes*

That research paper gave me hell... 78% Only reason I even did that good was I presented first. :)

I think our teacher's research paper gave everybody hell. I mean, it was the first time where we had to do bibliography cards, note cards, fine a quote from a critic and find a quote from the book that proves what the critic said...It was just eww. xP

- Kat

Dragoness
04-29-2009, 04:05 AM
I think our teacher's research paper gave everybody hell. I mean, it was the first time where we had to do bibliography cards, note cards, fine a quote from a critic and find a quote from the book that proves what the critic said...It was just eww. xP

- Kat

That can suck up time, but I don't think it's to bad. If course, I don't usually have to go deep into resources, even though they had us study MLA Style Citation for a good little while.

As for English, I actually like it. I find it easier than other subjects, like Math. That's just me though, some people do well in one subject and very badly in another *shrug* Different skill sets.

Ham and Cheese
04-29-2009, 04:23 AM
So THAT'S how you spell it. xD lol *goes to change that in Julius Caesar notes*

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

paper stars
04-29-2009, 04:58 AM
lol @ The More You Know thing. Perfect timing. And ditto to actually liking grammar and syntax, though the class I take doesn't have lessons on either.

Anyways, I love English. It's always been my favorite subject and supposedly I'm quite good at it. I take a literature class now (rather than Language Arts which incorporates grammar and the like) and I adore it. My teacher is amazing and full of lulz and says he's going to make me an English major if it's the last thing he does.

Plus, we're a private, "alternative" school so we don't read the boring old books public schools do. :B The last two books we read were "Cruddy" by Lynda Barry (which most schools wouldn't allow within a ten mile radius of their property) and "Anthem" (by Ayn Rand).

/ramble. Sorry, I'm a huge English nerd.

-Pichu Boy-
04-29-2009, 06:36 AM
*has no idea what syntax even is* :D

I like English. I enjoy writing stories, so being able to write them properly is a bonus. Also, essays and stuff aren't that hard. I can write a good essay in half-an-hour to an hour. (I do actually take longer on essays, though!)

But, yeah. :P

Ham and Cheese
04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
*has no idea what syntax even is* :D

I like English. I enjoy writing stories, so being able to write them properly is a bonus. Also, essays and stuff aren't that hard. I can write a good essay in half-an-hour to an hour. (I do actually take longer on essays, though!)

But, yeah. :P

Syntax is basically the study of the rules of grammar and construction of the English language. It's different from grammar by itself and spelling in that syntax is what's required to make your sentences sound ~*beautiful*~.

...Okay, not beautiful, but at least sensible. :P It's difficult to explain.

Ranma
04-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Syntax is basically the study of the rules of grammar and construction of the English language. It's different from grammar by itself and spelling in that syntax is what's required to make your sentences sound ~*beautiful*~.

...Okay, not beautiful, but at least sensible. :P It's difficult to explain.

I'd rather Syntax than literature...

Has anyone else done Sentense Diagraming? I did some two years ago. Seemed really pointless to me.

Loyal Kingdra
06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
English is my 2nd favorite subject so yeah I like it.

Professor Geoffrey
06-15-2009, 10:16 PM
English class is there so people can understand the English language better, so it can advert the language going to $#!+, for example, the worst branches of the English language; American Slang and Chatspeak.

That's my opinion. I think English is awesome, anyway. But my teacher is fail. =]

Speed-X
06-20-2009, 11:27 PM
English? I actually like english... then again, I pretty much like to write... that is, if I'm in the mood. It builds up grammatical skills, writing skills, creativity, and probably more... I mean, you may not like it now, but what if you get into writing and whatnot in the future? That's why it's always best to do good... of course, then again, that's how just about any class is.