PDA

View Full Version : Question to the Multilingual

Black Hawk
04-24-2009, 02:05 AM
Okay, this doesn't apply to you if you speak English and are learning spanish just for example. I'm asking this only to people who are perfectly fluent in more than one language.

What language do you think in?

and to build on that

What language do you dream in?

@_@

Eternal Moonlight
04-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Well, I speak both French and English, though I do most of my thinking in English. Since I switched from French Immersion to English track, English is more natural to me.

As for dreaming, I actually have the odd dream all in French. However, most are dominantly English, but someone always says something in French. Even if it`s just a word...

Mew, Meow, Nya

DaRkUmBrEoN
04-24-2009, 05:28 AM
I think in all 3 of my fluent languages, since I don't have to translate them when I have to speak.

As for dreaming, yea, I do that in all 3, even in languages I'm not fluent in.

PapaLuLu27
04-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Both in English -- Affected by living in a place where English rules @-@

♪~Luis~♫

We Taste Pies...
04-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't even speak spanish fluently, but if I study it for an hour or so and then go to bed, I'll typically dream in spanish. I never consciously think in spanish though.

FireBrawl Latios
05-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Although I am fluent in at least 3 languages, along with the dialects, nothing beats English. I have to think in the relevant language if I have to write an essay for my language tests and examinations, though.

Void
05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
I speak 2 languages fluently, and I generally think and dream in English. Because I talk to most people in English, and English is my first language anyway.

Professor Geoffrey
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
I know this doesn't apply to me because I'm learning a language, but I think this should be said.

When I think, I don't think in any language. How does a baby think? It doesn't know languages. Now, a baby is somewhat reckless, because it can't communicate, that's one thing. But thinking in no language at all is the best way to think for me. I see what may happen in my head with no language at all.

And I dream in both Latin and English. =]

Vaughn
05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
I think in my first language, which is Bisaya.
I dream in English.

spartan117
05-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I knew that was the question before I even opened the thread. xD A lot of people ask that.

My original language was Ukranian but when I came to teh US I quickly learned English and thats what I think in 99% of the time since thats what I talk in. I dream in English too I think. But I also know Russian and Im learning Spanish.

Shadow Eevee
05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, I know English and Armenian, but most of the time, I think/dream in English.

Scourge of Amaranth
06-04-2009, 04:31 AM
I'm by no means fluent in Latin, but I'm learning it in school and listen to enough music that includes ancient Latin (...Mozart and Hunchback of Notre Dame, anyone?) that I often dream with lovely gems such as Dies Irae and Lacrimosa in the background.

poke123
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm fluent in English and Spanish. Since I grew up learning both languages, I kind of think in both languages. The same goes for dreaming. However, it really depends on where I am. If I am in the US, I tend to think in English more and dream in English with the occasional dream in spanish. If I'm in a country where Spanish is spoken, I tend to think in Spanish and dream in Spanish. I'm also learning French (I've taken three years of high school French) and while I'm not fluent, I sometimes find myself thinking in French. Weird, huh?

Oh and I'm also learning Portugese over the next few weeks. Though Portugese should come a lot easier than French.

Ayotui
06-11-2009, 03:26 PM
i talk 2 languages fluently and im pretty good in english.

and i never pay atention to what language i dream in so i dont know.

Dariganno
06-15-2009, 10:30 PM
I always dream in English, but when thinking it can be anything. French when I'm annoyed or something, especially, always French then. o.o;;

Grsspkmnmaster
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I speak English, German, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish.

I think alternating between German and English

I dream in German and English.