PDA

View Full Version : Football

Vaughn
05-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Shall it be: the sport that involves catching and throwing a football or the sport that involves kicking a football?

We Taste Pies...
05-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Shall it be: the sport that involves catching and throwing a football or the sport that involves kicking a football?

You notice, that you kick the ball in American football as well. A better comparison would be:

The sport that encourages touching the ball with your hands or the sport that discourages touching the ball with your hands.

-PK
05-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Soccer plz. American football can go die a gruesome death. D:<

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-03-2009, 04:43 AM
You notice, that you kick the ball in American football as well. A better comparison would be:

The sport that encourages touching the ball with your hands or the sport that discourages touching the ball with your hands.

True, but you use your hands more than your feet. Which means handball would be a more appropriate term than football. Or since you keep throwing the ball more often than you hold it... throwball? No, holdball would be better. :X

I call soccer, btw.

Graceful_Suicune
05-03-2009, 05:01 AM
Neither American nor soccer. I hate American football, but I love Aussie football. :3 Soccer's alright, but I prefer AFL.

~Xanthe.

atucker22
05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
American Football is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than soccer.

MaskedJackal
05-03-2009, 12:52 PM
American football, obviously. Soccer is a total joke, and I don't understand how anyone could get into it. Ever tried watching grass grow? Give it a go, you'll probably see more action than in your average soccer game.

TeirusuFX
05-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I actually don't mind both at all

I actually can't choose between them :P

♪マイルス♪
♫Mairusu♫

Ranma
05-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I think both fail when watching them, playing them is much better. I like playing both about the same, even though I'm not good at either...

Snow Fairy Sugar
05-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Why else would you call it football, unless you're using your feet to play it? Soccer > all other games in the world. ;)

Ayotui
05-03-2009, 04:46 PM
soccer

american football is a girls sport compared to rugby which is unprotected

americans are gay cause they play with protection

no offence

and by the way football (aka soccer) isn,t about action its about playing the game and dribbling your way trough the defence. throw yourself down to the ground when somebody thouches you, so you get a penalty and then put the ball right up in the right corner of the goal while the goalkeeper throws himself at the ball.

Sea Angel
05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
American Football is OK. But, I like soccer better.

-Pichu Boy-
05-03-2009, 05:00 PM
throw yourself down to the ground when somebody thouches you, so you get a penalty and then put the ball right up in the right corner of the goal while the goalkeeper throws himself at the ball.

a) No, diving is not what football's about.

b) Penalties are only given if you go down in the other team's Penalty Box. So you may as well just shoot. :x

Football is a better term for soccer, imo (not just 'cos I'm English, but because Football would logically mean you play the majory of the sport with your foot...).

EDIT: And in case I've mis-interpreted the question: I've never played American Football, so Football is better xP

Oxygen
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Soccer.

It might just be that I'm English, though.

Bumblebee16
05-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I think both fail when watching them, playing them is much better. I like playing both about the same, even though I'm not good at either...

Yeah, watching them isn't as good as playing them. I play American Football a lot better than Football (Soccer), but I like Soccer more.

What! That really sounds stupid and stereotypical dude. Have you ever played it?

Ranma
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah, watching them isn't as good as playing them. I play American Football a lot better than Football (Soccer), but I like Soccer more.

Opposite with me. I'm better at soccer but I like Football more.

soccer

no offence

and by the way football (aka soccer) isn,t about action its about playing the game and dribbling your way trough the defence. throw yourself down to the ground when somebody thouches you, so you get a penalty and then put the ball right up in the right corner of the goal while the goalkeeper throws himself at the ball.

So all americans are gay because some people play with protection?:rolleyes:

I do think rugby is a lot better than football, but that was incredibly ignorant.

Ayotui
05-03-2009, 05:26 PM
So all americans are gay because some people play with protection?:rolleyes:

I do think rugby is a lot better than football, but that was incredibly ignorant.

ok sorry not all americans are gay only the ones who chose to be.

Jesus
05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I refuse to answer the poll because of the term you used for football.
It's called football for a reason, not f*cking soccer.
FOOTBALL. FOOT + BALL. Gosh.

Black Hawk
05-03-2009, 05:58 PM
American football, obviously. Soccer is a total joke, and I don't understand how anyone could get into it. Ever tried watching grass grow? Give it a go, you'll probably see more action than in your average soccer game.

QFT

I say Football is Football because Soccer is some slow-paced really boring sport.
my opinion ^

Btw, this is a very sensitive topic and I believe you may have opened a fresh can of flame war :x

Vaughn
05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I refuse to answer the poll because of the term you used for football.
It's called football for a reason, not f*cking soccer.
FOOTBALL. FOOT + BALL. Gosh.

If you refuse, why post?

Jesus
05-03-2009, 06:04 PM
If you refuse, why post?

To voice my opinion.

Vengeance
05-03-2009, 06:08 PM
QFT

I say Football is Football because Soccer is some slow-paced really boring sport.
my opinion ^

Btw, this is a very sensitive topic and I believe you may have opened a fresh can of flame war :x

Agreed.

Necromancer
05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
why isn't there the choice futbal?

Ayotui
05-03-2009, 06:40 PM
soccer is bigger than american football so there fifa has more money than nfl and there are more countries intersted in soccer. but really you can,t compare american football with soccer cause they have different gameplays and are very different

in football the idea is to tackle your opponent so he does,nt score

while in soccer the idea is to graciusly and painlessly take the ball away from the opponent.

soccer pwns

Bumblebee16
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
soccer is bigger than american football so there fifa has more money than nfl and there are more countries intersted in soccer. but really you can,t compare american football with soccer cause they have different gameplays and are very different

while in soccer the idea is to graciusly and painlessly take the ball away from the opponent.

soccer pwns

What I bolded above is the reason they wear protection.

Jesus
05-03-2009, 06:46 PM
What I bolded above is the reason they wear protection.

Uhm.. Isn't the same objective in Rugby? Do they wear so much protection?

iReign
05-03-2009, 06:47 PM

soccer pwns

@ The bolded area: I think more countries are interested in Soccer because I dunno, it's called AMERICAN football. Ionno, just my two cents.

I also prefer American football.

Soda
05-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I myself think Soccer is fun to watch (and play) while football is just boring and not fun at all to play. :oops:

Bumblebee16
05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Uhm.. Isn't the same objective in Rugby? Do they wear so much protection?

Meh, I wouldn't know much about Rugby, but I was just pointing out why they wear it and wondering how wearing protection makes them gay.

Vengeance
05-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Everyone just shut up. It doesn't really matter who likes what. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Ok?

Jesus
05-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Meh, I wouldn't know much about Rugby, but I was just pointing out why they wear it and wondering how wearing protection makes them gay.

Because protection is for pussys.

Soda
05-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Because protection is for pussys.

Coming from a british person.

tee-hhee

Ayotui
05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Everyone just shut up. It doesn't really matter who likes what. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Ok?

no they're not

and for those off you that don,t get sarcasm

i,m just saying what i mean as are everybody else

Jesus
05-03-2009, 07:24 PM

tee-hhee

*Cough* What are you implying?

IceRocket
05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I call soccer soccer, so football is football! (American :P)

Ayotui
05-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I call soccer soccer, so football is football! (American :P)

football is football (soccer) american football is just ****

MaskedJackal
05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
soccer

no offence

LOL, I'd love to see those weak little rugby players play a game of real (American) football without pads. They are two different games. Anyone who doesn't see this is an idiot.

Professor Geoffrey
05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
LOL, I'd love to see those weak little rugby players play a game of real (American) football without pads. They are two different games. Anyone who doesn't see this is an idiot.

xDDDDD

I'd pay to see that. And I hate football.

But I'd say football is American Football.

Black Hawk
05-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I'd like to point out that Rugby players are (usually) scrawny Caucasians, whereas Football players are 250lbs behemoths who can run a 4.4 forty. I think the big dude is gonna hurt more with pads then the skinny dude w/o.

spartan117
05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I chose both because I play and like both BUT Soccer(Football) >>> American Football.
Im not even going to get started on the names.
You may think soccer is boring but its way better to watch. Unlike A.Football it doesnt have commercials every 5 minutes. I can watch just about any soccer(except Mexican sorry -_-).

MaskedJackal
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I'd like to point out that Rugby players are (usually) scrawny Caucasians, whereas Football players are 250lbs behemoths who can run a 4.4 forty. I think the big dude is gonna hurt more with pads then the skinny dude w/o.

So true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc1fOWyXgd0 That without pads would be like, death.

CrazyTrainer
05-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Your kidding of course football.

Calypso
05-04-2009, 02:19 PM

tee-hhee

:l

Err, British football/soccer.

Ayotui
05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
So true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc1fOWyXgd0 That without pads would be like, death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdiEcSdIqbs there you go without protection

and in soccer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF4iWIE77Ts&feature=related without protection

Babii Pikachu
05-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Football > American Football

Yup yup. I don't practise A.Football/Rugby, yet I am really good at it. You need two things to play A.Football. Fitness & Sharpness.. While in football, you need tons :) Plus Football is more interesting, better, and not slow-paced.

Gold Rush
05-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Rugby vs American football, why didn't I see this before?

Rugby is more of a man's sport, protection really isn't needed but I guess us Brits will just be out numbered :[

Really we can't say anything because you american's havn't tried Rugby and we haven't tried American football for ourselves.

My two Pence

spartan117
05-04-2009, 07:30 PM

and in soccer
Oh damn I gotta agree on this one. Rugby is crazy and no protection. (Though I think the shorts are WAY too short)
But you have to realize that Rugby and A.Football are different sports.

But this thread is about Soccer vs A.Football. And Soccer FTW!

MaskedJackal
05-04-2009, 07:52 PM

and in soccer

Yet, Dumas probably could eat half of those people without chewing. American football has superior athletes, and they hit much harder than rugby players.

Black Hawk
05-04-2009, 08:33 PM

and in soccer

Yeah, all these videos succeed in doing is proving LL and I's point, as well as displaying the prissy things soccer players do for retaliation.

Woodchuck
05-04-2009, 10:00 PM

and in soccer

I'd like to introduce you to a little thing called, destructive power.

Dumas, along with most other defensive players in football, has twice the muscle mass of most of the guys in that rugby video. Therefore, a hit from Dumas is anywhere from 2 to 4 times as hard as a hit from any of those rugby players, depending on the exact increase in size and speed. American Football players need protection, because being rammed by a human tank is a lot worse than getting hit by a skinny rugby player.

Now, don't get me wrong; I actually happen to like rugby. It's a very interesting sport. I'm just trying to explain to you why football players need protection, and why rugby players don't.

Oh, and my vote went to American Football. I used to play soccer. I never liked it much.

-Jake-

Bryce
05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Oh, American football, fersure.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-05-2009, 11:16 AM
The biggest American guys play American football only because the sport's so big there. Americans do play rugby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_national_rugby_union_team), it's just that the sport's not as big in their country. had the AFers played rugby from young instead, the rugby team would've at least made it to the semis, or even won in the finals. And yes, AFers should go without protection. Who was the one who thought of protection in the first place?! D:< Even if they could die without them, it doesn't change the fact that sports like these were not supposed to have that much protection. Trust me, many wouldn't dare to play if they knew they were going without protection.

EDIT: And its not the fault of other countries that their rugby players are skinny compared to Americans. They just have a far smaller population, which means they have fewer big guys to pick from.

OK, back to the topic. It doesn't matter whether soccer is better or worse than American football; what does matter is which one should be rightfully named "football". And like I said... (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2747383#post2747383)

Ayotui
05-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I'd like to introduce you to a little thing called, destructive power.

Dumas, along with most other defensive players in football, has twice the muscle mass of most of the guys in that rugby video. Therefore, a hit from Dumas is anywhere from 2 to 4 times as hard as a hit from any of those rugby players, depending on the exact increase in size and speed. American Football players need protection, because being rammed by a human tank is a lot worse than getting hit by a skinny rugby player.

Now, don't get me wrong; I actually happen to like rugby. It's a very interesting sport. I'm just trying to explain to you why football players need protection, and why rugby players don't.

Oh, and my vote went to American Football. I used to play soccer. I never liked it much.

-Jake-

american football players should not wear protection cause it gives safety and safe games are boring.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-05-2009, 12:57 PM
american football players should not wear protection cause it gives safety and safe games are boring.

Did I get ignored again? D:

Oh well. Hardly anyone responds to my posts... ):

But yeah, I agree with you.

Haze
05-05-2009, 07:11 PM

You do know they would kill each other if they didn't wear pads and helmets? :|

If you say safe sports are boring, why do you enjoy soccer?

Rohypnol
05-05-2009, 07:13 PM

This is a comparison between Soccer and American Football, not Rugby.
Yea, you wear protection in American football. So what's your point? That Americans are smart and want to be able to have fun playing a sport without getting injured all the time?

Shut the hell up you live in Norway, gtfo.

no offence

panzy :)

You know what, why don't you try using your brain for once in your life then come back here and post.

MaskedJackal
05-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Once the big rugby leagues obtain real athletes, we'll talk. For now, just shut up.

Anyone who thinks rugby is a better sport because it's more violent (it's not, really, Dumas knocked that guy out with pads, while the rugby players were able to get right back up) is an idiot. Any NFL player can walk right in and be a star rugby player.

Ranma
05-05-2009, 07:36 PM
I feel some infractions coming up soon...

Stinky
05-05-2009, 08:02 PM
long awesome post

I love you so very much. <3

American Football, soccer bores me. :x

Light_Sky
05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
soccer

no offence

Alright, that's just too insulting. No offence doesn't make a difference. That's just down right insulting.

I think Soccer is better, Football is something I suck at.

spartan117
05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Football has too many rules to learn compared to Soccer where its self explanitory.

Ranma
05-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Football has too many rules to learn compared to Soccer where its self explanitory.

Agreed. Kick the ball into the net, and a few penaltys...

Black Hawk
05-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Agreed. Kick the ball into the net, and a few penaltys...

Yeah, a few penalties like if its passed this line no one can stand in front of you and if someones in front of someone else and they get a ball its a penalty and if you step on one line its out of bounds and if this guy touches it its in the corner but if the other guy does it its on the elbow and no hands, but only in self defense blah blah blah.

Oh, and if you knock the guy over and he gets the ball back its okay but if you get the ball its not.

Really simple. [/sarcasm]

karmachameleon
05-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Once the big rugby leagues obtain real athletes, we'll talk. For now, just shut up.

Anyone who thinks rugby is a better sport because it's more violent (it's not, really, Dumas knocked that guy out with pads, while the rugby players were able to get right back up) is an idiot. Any NFL player can walk right in and be a star rugby player.

Agreed. Rugby players tend to look like soccer players in that they can run all day but aren't that muscular. Imagine Adrian Peterson or Brandon Jacobs playing rugby...

Soccer should be called football. America should also follow Europe and use the metric system.

Rohypnol
05-06-2009, 03:28 AM
America should also follow Europe and use the metric system.

Why? I'm perfectly happy with our current system. Why change now when we've been using the system for like 200 years?

Also, football is pretty self explanatory. Run with the ball into the goal. It's not that hard. :\

Void
05-06-2009, 02:02 PM
REAL Football ("Soccer' as Americans call it) > American football.

Soccer is known as the “beautiful sport”. It takes a skill and finesse to play, and it requires just about every athletic trait, such as speed, endurance, and coordination. Some of the most athletic moves in sports come from soccer, such as the bicycle kick, and the spinning step over. And while Americans love their football, the rest of the world has enjoyed a sport that we haven’t quite embraced just yet. Here are ten reasons why the sport of soccer is better than football.

10. Soccer is the original football
Before anyone ever took a pig and turned it into an odd shaped ball, people across the pond were kicking a ball and referring to it as football. And if you think about it, that makes sense. After all, you play the sport with your feet. But when Americans got their hands on the sport, they changed the name to soccer. Soccer didn’t mean anything. In fact, it was a new word thought up just to describe the sport where the ball was played with the foot. And when American football was invented, someone decided to name it after the world’s most popular sport. Maybe during the early days, football wasn’t doing so great and they needed an easy way of tricking people to come play it. Just imagine, a couple German and Italian immigrants, and some guy comes up to them and says “we’re playing football over on the field in an hour. Come on out and join us, mates.” And thus began the bastardization of soccer.

9. The world plays soccer, only Americans play football
Soccer is the most popular sport in every country…except the United States and Canada. Every country regards soccer as an important event, and a chance to represent one’s self in a dignified and professional way. In America, soccer is low on the popularity charts. Some say it’s because of the low scoring matches. Others would argue that it’s because we didn’t invent the sport. But for whatever reason, soccer has never quite caught on in the United States as much as it has in other countries. At the world level, our men’s team is gaining ground, and our women are always challenging for the top spot in the world. But the men’s team hardly dominates the sport, and is regularly handled by the better teams, and that may be point of contention with American fans. But the fact is, soccer is more popular than any other sport in the world, counting football. Billions of people can’t be wrong.

8. Juggernaut in X-Men 3 is ex-professional soccer player
Vinnie Jones is an actor who is probably most famous for playing the Juggernaut in the film X-Men 3. What does this have to do with soccer, and why is it a big deal? Because often times, soccer players are looked upon as wimpy. Vinnie Jones is built like a truck, and he played soccer like that as well. In fact, when he played professionally in Europe, he was considered the team’s enforcer on the field, totally crushing opponents. In fact, he has been red carded (ejected) from games 12 times in his career, and was once given a yellow card (stern warning) only five seconds after the match started. If Jones proves anything, it’s that there are soccer players out there as tough as anyone in the NFL.

7. Soccer has the most attractive athletes
If a questionnaire was handed to every woman in the world which asked who the sexiest male athlete is, chances are that L.A. Galaxy stud David Beckham (now with AC Milan on loan, not that that's relevant anyway) would dominate the list followed closely by Christian Ronaldo of Portugal. And the ladies who play soccer aren’t hurting anyone’s eyes either, with Mia Hamm and Heather Mitts. In fact, in 2004, Mitts was voted the sexiest female athlete, beating out the likes of Jennie Finch (softball) and Anna Kournikova (tennis). The thing about soccer is, it doesn’t drastically change a person’s appearance other than allowing them to be in top cardiovascular condition. So unlike football, you don’t have to put on pounds of muscle (or fat, depending on the position you play), and you don’t have to be freakishly tall. Soccer simply has regular guys and gals who are at the peak of their physical conditioning.

6. Game atmosphere is better
Football games can be fun to attend. Some fans will paint their face or make a funny sign. People can get obsessed with their teams, and it shows. But compared to soccer, football atmospheres are tame. Soccer has sections of fans called hooligans. These groups of like-minded ladies and gentlemen cheer their team on with outrageous enthusiasm. Often times they will have cannons, smoke flares, and drums. But the one thing that soccer fans do that really differentiates them from other fans is sing their team’s chants. It creates an intimate moment between the fans as they come together as a single, strong voice, to cheer their guys on to victory. It cannot be understated how much these chants create an unforgettable atmosphere when attending a soccer match.

5. Soccer players are more physically fit
In soccer, every man on the pitch is in top physical conditioning. They go for 90 minutes or longer, running the entire time without any breaks. Football is 60 minutes. Theoretically, the players only play half the time since offenses and defenses change out. Furthermore, a play in football lasts around five to ten seconds. Once it’s finished, the players generally get at least 30 seconds to rest. However, by the fourth quarter of a football game, often times you can see fatigue hitting the players. While fatigue also sets in during a soccer match, the players still play, and the best players are strong until the very end. But perhaps this quote from the movie Dogma can best sum it up: "Any moron with a pack of matches can start a fire. Raining down sulfur takes a huge level of endurance. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in... next to soccer." - Matt Damon

4. Soccer takes more skill
Bouncing a ball with your hands is natural. Catching a ball with your hands is natural. Try catching a ball with only your chest, knee, or foot. It’s not so easy. That’s because controlling a ball with the feet is much more challenging as it is not a natural body movement. Therefore, it takes quite a lot of practice to be able to do even some of the more simple things in soccer, like passing and shooting properly. When you look at pro football player and you see some of the amazing things they do, it’s true that it would be difficult to replicate, like some of the crazy catches they make, but the fact is that it’s possible. However, trying to replicating some of the quick-footed juggles that pro soccer players do would be downright impossible, even for some seasoned, non-professional soccer players. The fact of the matter is, you could randomly take five guys from the office and go play a respectable game of basketball or football, but if five random guys tried to play soccer, it would get ugly really quickly.

3. Scoring holds more weight
When someone scores in football, it’s exciting, but many times it’s just business as usual. However, putting a point on the scoreboard is soccer is much harder to come by. Guys will get hacked, fouled, and shoved, and then they still have to have their wits about them enough to shoot. When a goal in scored is soccer, it’s cause for a celebration. But the reason doesn’t just lie in how uncommon scoring might be. It comes from the fact that when a loose ball is bouncing around in your team’s penalty area, your heart is pounding and your eyes are wide with anticipation. If the ball gets cleared, there’s a small respite as relief sets in. And that same wide-eyed anticipation grips you when your squad has set up a good scoring opportunity for themselves. It’s such a high level of tension that when they do score (or give up a goal), the emotional outburst is greater than it is for any other sport, period.

2. Soccer creates a positive sense of nationalism
Every four years the World Cup occurs. It’s an event that any country has the chance to play in, and it brings various cultures and peoples from around the world together, similar to the Olympics. First and foremost, on a worldwide basis, soccer is the most popular sport around. Fans will rally around their teams and the tolerance level for different cultures is widely accepted and celebrated. But the celebration does not stem from the between cultures differences, nor is it a battle against those differences. It’s a celebration of enjoying the same sport no matter what country a person hails from. Nothing illustrates this better than the events of the World Cup in Germany. The Ivory Coast was at war with itself. The government controlled the Southern part of the nation while the rebel faction held power in the North. The two sides had little to agree on or stop their fighting until their country qualified for the World Cup. The best team available was assembled, comprised of athletes from all over the country. The love for the sport of soccer caused the Ivory Coast to call a cease fire for the duration of World Cup so that the nation could celebrate as a whole on their team’s achievement.

1. For soccer, all you need is a ball and a patch of dirt
Soccer is the purest of sports because all you need is a ball. Sure, some grass or a flat piece of land helps, but it’s not necessarily a requirement. Just ask the kids in South America who play everyday on the streets. Soccer is as pure as sports get. You don’t need pads, you don’t need any equipment, you don’t need specialized fields, or anything else. You don’t even need shoes. All that is required is the ball, and maybe some imagination. When my dad was in college, he used to play in many varying areas of the campus. They’d use a lot of different things for a goal, such as trash cans, shoes, other soccer balls, bags, stairs, or anything else that was there. The fields didn’t even require symmetry. They just played for the sake of playing. And that’s why soccer is such a wonderful sport - because a game can spontaneously erupt based on the want to play.

Ayotui
05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
super long awesome post saying why soccer is better than football

couldn't say it better myself.

Babii Pikachu
05-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Void, that's the best post I've seen all week (: Hopefully you didn't copy it :rolleyes:

spartan117
05-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Before anyone ever took a pig and turned it into an odd shaped ball, people across the pond were kicking a ball and referring to it as football. And if you think about it, that makes sense. After all, you play the sport with your feet. But when Americans got their hands on the sport, they changed the name to soccer. Soccer didn’t mean anything. In fact, it was a new word thought up just to describe the sport where the ball was played with the foot. And when American football was invented, someone decided to name it after the world’s most popular sport. Maybe during the early days, football wasn’t doing so great and they needed an easy way of tricking people to come play it. Just imagine, a couple German and Italian immigrants, and some guy comes up to them and says “we’re playing football over on the field in an hour. Come on out and join us, mates.” And thus began the bastardization of soccer.
Soccer wasnt really a new word. In fact I think the British made it up(yeah ironicly). Soccer was called Association Football and Soccer is the shorter form of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(soccer)

And the rest of the post...I couldnt agree more with you.

Black Hawk
05-06-2009, 07:51 PM
1. For soccer, all you need is a ball and a patch of dirt
Soccer is the purest of sports because all you need is a ball. Sure, some grass or a flat piece of land helps, but it’s not necessarily a requirement. Just ask the kids in South America who play everyday on the streets. Soccer is as pure as sports get. You don’t need pads, you don’t need any equipment, you don’t need specialized fields, or anything else. You don’t even need shoes. All that is required is the ball, and maybe some imagination. When my dad was in college, he used to play in many varying areas of the campus. They’d use a lot of different things for a goal, such as trash cans, shoes, other soccer balls, bags, stairs, or anything else that was there. The fields didn’t even require symmetry. They just played for the sake of playing. And that’s why soccer is such a wonderful sport - because a game can spontaneously erupt based on the want to play.

I don't have time atm to respond to the rest, but for this, I would like to point out that the same can be done Football. All you need is the football and one person to throw to. Have 4 people? Play football. It is likewise very simple. Also, you don't even need a football. You can use anything that's throwable like a tennis ball or even a soccer ball. I even used a rock once, It was kind of hard though.

And that’s why (American) Football is such a wonderful sport - because a game can spontaneously erupt based on the want to play.

MaskedJackal
05-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Leaves were the original toilet paper. Congrats.

9. The world plays soccer, only Americans play football

That's because the world hasn't been exposed to the greatness that is REAL football (not soccer lololol). The world won't try to understand football either, because they're all stuck up whiners (typical soccer fans).

8. Juggernaut in X-Men 3 is ex-professional soccer player

You think being ejected 12 times makes him good? I can't speak for everyone, but I don't consider anyone who can't play an entire game without getting booted for cheap shots a very good player. lmfao

7. Soccer has the most attractive athletes

What does this have to do with anything? They're inferior athletes, and that's what matters.

6. Game atmosphere is better

" But the one thing that soccer fans do that really differentiates them from other fans is sing their team’s chants."

Ever heard of fight songs?

I'm not even gonna bother with the rest. That list is major lol

spartan117
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
That's because the world hasn't been exposed to the greatness that is REAL football (not soccer lololol). The world won't try to understand football either, because they're all stuck up whiners (typical soccer fans).

What does this have to do with anything? They're inferior athletes, and that's what matters.

1. Theres nothing to understand about A.Football except that most of the world prefers Soccer over it. And yes the world has been exposed to A.Football.
Typical A.Football fans are all stuborn and think their sport is teh best in the world even though its only played in America.

2. Theyre not inferior. It takes more skill to be a Soccer player. In Football you have positions and you need a trower with good cordination, a runner, and a big guy for defense. In Soccer the athletes need all that put together.

But really the only thing that bothers me is the names. :oops:

Edit: Oh and also soccer is way more intense than A.Football imo.

Ranma
05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
2. Theyre not inferior. It takes more skill to be a Soccer player. In Football you have positions and you need a trower with good cordination, a runner, and a big guy for defense. In Soccer the athletes need all that put together.

Exactly. You only need to be good at a few things in American Football, you need to be good in about everything in soccer.

Rohypnol
05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Edit: Oh and also soccer is way more intense than A.Football imo.

Oh my god he kicked a ball! OMG LOOK HE DID IT AGAIN! AND A THIRD TIME!

That's some intense stuff! ^^;

spartan117
05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh my god he kicked a ball! OMG LOOK HE DID IT AGAIN! AND A THIRD TIME!

That's some intense stuff! ^^;
Nah man. Everytime someones about to score a goal the crowd shouts and its really an intense moment. Or when a goally saves the ball from going in. Etc.
Football has some intense moments too but its not as intense as soccer imo.

Finch
05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Why else would you call it football, unless you're using your feet to play it? Soccer > all other games in the world. ;)
QFT

It kicks seven shades out of American Wuss Rugby anyway (see what I did, there? Kicks?)

MaskedJackal
05-07-2009, 12:00 AM

You forgot to mention the complex schemes on both offense and defense, the right athletes to fit those schemes, coaching, and many other variables. Football is much more complex than non-fans think.

spartan117
05-07-2009, 12:05 AM
You forgot to mention the complex schemes on both offense and defense, the right athletes to fit those schemes, coaching, and many other variables. Football is much more complex than non-fans think.
No Im a fan of Football I just like Soccer better.

Yes Football does take strategy but soccer also has strategies too. And you have to know how to play for 90 minutes where in football it takes a play like 5 minutes.

Finch
05-07-2009, 01:24 AM
He's right. The recurring theme I can see here is that you're calling gridiron jocks "athletes" when they're clearly not made to last more than a few seconds of on-the-trot sport.

karmachameleon
05-07-2009, 01:41 AM
He's right. The recurring theme I can see here is that you're calling gridiron jocks "athletes" when they're clearly not made to last more than a few seconds of on-the-trot sport.

I'd like to see soccer players handle football workouts for 4 days a week and then play a game. Soccer players have more endurance, but they are not better athletes. Calvin Johnson of the Lions is 6'5", ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and has a 45" vertical jump.

The Jr Trainer
05-07-2009, 01:53 AM
I don't think you can really compare [American] Football and Soccer ...

But go on!

Void
05-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Leaves were the original toilet paper. Congrats.

Leaves > Toilet paper. Anyday.

That's because the world hasn't been exposed to the greatness that is REAL football (not American football lololol). Americans won't try to understand 'soccer' either, because they're all stuck up whiners (typical American fooball fans).

You think being ejected 12 times makes him good? I can't speak for everyone, but I don't consider anyone who can't play an entire game without getting booted for cheap shots a very good player. lmfao

I didn't say that being ejected 12 times makes him good. I said that soccer players aren't necessarily not as 'tough' as American football players.

No. Soccer players have much better physical conditioning, making American football players inferior athletes (if you can even call them athletes).

" But the one thing that soccer fans do that really differentiates them from other fans is sing their team’s chants."

Ever heard of fight songs?

Fight songs? I'm not talking about those, soccer clubs have something like those too, but the chants players sing during the game. Watch a soccer game and see what I mean. Oops, I forgot, you're too impatient to watch a soccer game.

That argument is major lol.

MaskedJackal
05-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Oops, I forgot, you're too impatient to watch a soccer game.

Not really. Watching grass grow just isn't my thing.

Game Over
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I prefer American football, but soccer isn't too bad either. It's kind of sad though, because I am better at soccer than American football.

Ranma
05-07-2009, 08:24 PM

I have to kinda agree...

Some soccer games are pretty intense, but I was really dissapointed when watching the olympics for soccer...

The ball barely moved, and they seemed to be jogging. -.-

Ayotui
05-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I have to kinda agree...

Some soccer games are pretty intense, but I was really dissapointed when watching the olympics for soccer...

well obioviusly they have to jog. if they want to be able to play 90 minutes that is.

but then again Barcelona-Chelsea(champions league for those off you that don,t know) was one off the best matches i have ever watched.

spartan117
05-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I have to kinda agree...

Obviously not all Soccer games will be good. Same goes for Football games and any other sport.

Haze
05-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Uhm, there are 4 plays per series minimum, and that's just the bad series, Most are 7-15, which is 7+ minutes of being hit and thrown to the ground. In soccer, you have your defenders that stay back, middies that do most of the running, then the fowards who stay up and just try to score. Yeah that's so much harder than chasing players all over the football field!

EDIT: Ayotui: That game wasn't amazing to watch :|

Yeah, the goals were great, especially that game winning one, but for the most part it was really boring and just like every other soccer game.

Finch
05-08-2009, 12:27 AM
I'd like to see soccer players handle football workouts for 4 days a week and then play a game. Soccer players have more endurance, but they are not better athletes. Calvin Johnson of the Lions is 6'5", ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and has a 45" vertical jump.
Working out doesn't make you an athlete, actually competing in a sport does, and football players do way more of that than your "Calvin Johnsons" and whatever.

And uh, Haze, it doesn't matter how intense it is, 15 minutes (worst case scenario for gridiron) is nothing like 50 (worst case for football).

Orthar
05-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Definitely NFL Football. Soccer is the sport of losers. Don't believe me? Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5epK4YFFjh4).

The Jr Trainer
05-08-2009, 12:40 AM
I don't think you can really compare [American] Football and Soccer ...

But go on!

:rolleyes:

You cannot compare these 2 games or their players in any way, shape nor form. :|

[American] football players are prepared to play football while soccer players are prepared to play soccer.

WE CAN'T GET MUCH SIMPLER PEOPLE.

Black Hawk
05-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Definitely NFL Football. Soccer is the sport of losers. Don't believe me? Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5epK4YFFjh4).

Lol, that's gold.

spartan117
05-08-2009, 01:17 AM
And what does faking injuries have to do with anything? Im pretty sure the NFL has had some people who faked injuries.

Void
05-08-2009, 04:29 AM

Soccer isn't watching grass grow. The few goals that are scored during a soccer game just makes the tension and excitement more.

Now American football. The game is too stop/start. No flow. Seems like a game designed for American beer commercials. Can't really see how you find enjoyment in that.

But seriously though, soccer - American football isn't really something to argue about. Soccer - American football is pretty much America - Rest of the world.

Ayotui
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
EDIT: Ayotui: That game wasn't amazing to watch :|

Yeah, the goals were great, especially that game winning one, but for the most part it was really boring and just like every other soccer game.

yes it was. the scores wheren,t the only amassing thing. we had cech being amassing in the first match and then we also had the Chelsea defense being able to hold back Barcelona when they do their one touch attacks. that in itself calls for a good match

Bryce
05-08-2009, 06:34 PM
But seriously though, soccer - American football isn't really something to argue about. Soccer - American football is pretty much America - Rest of the world.

Oh yes, because you definitely see every American in this thread voting for American football.

Ayotui
05-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh yes, because you definitely see every American in this thread voting for American football.

thats not what he said. he said that the only ones that voted for american football where americans

Black Hawk
05-08-2009, 08:05 PM
thats not what he said. he said that the only ones that voted for american football where americans

No, Bryce was right.

Everytime you post, it makes the soccer side of the argument look stupid and void or someone else with valid points has to rescue it. Please save their time.

spartan117
05-08-2009, 11:13 PM
The thing I hate most about watching Football is the damn commercials every like 5 minutes. The game is 60 minutes yet the superbowl is like 4 hrs.

MaskedJackal
05-09-2009, 02:07 AM
The thing I hate most about watching Football is the damn commercials every like 5 minutes. The game is 60 minutes yet the superbowl is like 4 hrs.

SuperBowl commercials are actually entertaining.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-09-2009, 05:54 AM

Only to those who like commercials. I for one hate to watch the stupid things. JUST HAVE A GAME WITH NO COMMERCIALS PLEASE.

And seriously, why is American football even called football when your feet are hardly used?

Void
05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Only to those who like commercials. I for one hate to watch the stupid things. JUST HAVE A GAME WITH NO COMMERCIALS PLEASE.

And seriously, why is American football even called football when your feet are hardly used?

They couldn't come up with an original name.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-09-2009, 09:37 AM
They couldn't come up with an original name.

Must be. America used to belong to the British, after all... >_>

Ranma
05-09-2009, 11:15 AM

About half are.

And they need the commercials to make money, because they can charge A LOT of money for the commercials in the super bowl. I'm pretty sure it's over 1million for a 30 second commercial.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
About half are.

And they need the commercials to make money, because they can charge A LOT of money for the commercials in the super bowl. I'm pretty sure it's over 1million for a 30 second commercial.

If the commercials cost so much, then don't pay for them. Don't use them. Simple as that.

Orthar
05-09-2009, 01:44 PM
And what does faking injuries have to do with anything? Im pretty sure the NFL has had some people who faked injuries.

No, because you're getting hit and it's a contact sport. All of those faked injuries were soccer players being ******* and trying to get a red-card for the other team. It's also quite funny to watch, they are so overly dramatic.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-09-2009, 02:02 PM
No, because you're getting hit and it's a contact sport. All of those faked injuries were soccer players being ******* and trying to get a red-card for the other team. It's also quite funny to watch, they are so overly dramatic.

That's called "diving", and it constitutes a yellow card in soccer. Like, how do you get sent off (or whatever that is) in American football?

Black Hawk
05-09-2009, 02:12 PM
If the commercials cost so much, then don't pay for them. Don't use them. Simple as that.

No, it's not simple as that. Once again someone who doesn't know what they're talking about barges in.

Over 100million people watch the SuperBowl. Those 100mil+ see those commercials. The commercials are worth that much if they're reaching that many people. The commercials are effective if they reach that many people. I would pay 1,000,000 to get 30 seconds of publicity with 100million+ people.

Orthar
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
That's called "diving", and it constitutes a yellow card in soccer. Like, how do you get sent off (or whatever that is) in American football?

You don't. Football players can take a hit, but there are penalties for doing illegal motions, such as grabbing the face mask, jumping off sides, helmet to helmet, ect.

Yoda55
05-09-2009, 02:48 PM
American Football. I live in America so yeah..

karmachameleon
05-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Of the few European football games I've seen, one of them was last year in spring when Man U won some Euro championship against Chelsea I believe, nothing about them is as epic as a Super Bowl winning drive like the last two years.

I love one aspect of European football more, and that's the fan's more expressive passion. Fights in American football are usually because of something stupid like a drunk guy throwing beer at the people below him, where as fights in Europe can reach Lord of the Rings status.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWSGY0a2vE - I really don't like fighting, but it's crazy to see two huge crowds like that going at it

Another thing that sucks about AF is the huge ticket prices, I've only been to one in my life. How much does a game cost in Europe, not the really expensive seats but the upper deck ones?

Ayotui
05-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Of the few European football games I've seen, one of them was last year in spring when Man U won some Euro championship against Chelsea I believe, nothing about them is as epic as a Super Bowl winning drive like the last two years.

I love one aspect of European football more, and that's the fan's more expressive passion. Fights in American football are usually because of something stupid like a drunk guy throwing beer at the people below him, where as fights in Europe can reach Lord of the Rings status.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWSGY0a2vE

Another thing that sucks about AF is the huge ticket prices, I've only been to one in my life. How much does a game cost in Europe, not the really expensive seats but the upper deck ones?

they can cost a lot i can tell you that.

Ranma
05-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Then where do they get enough money to host the superbowl?

Babii Pikachu
05-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Well, I don't know how much AF tickets cost, but a ticket to the champions league final would at it's lowest cost 1k. While a normal match... between 30-100 in whatever currency.

Ranma
05-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, I don't know how much AF tickets cost, but a ticket to the champions league final would at it's lowest cost 1k. While a normal match... between 30-100 in whatever currency.

1k... Holy ****. O_O

Ayotui
05-09-2009, 10:24 PM
1k... Holy ****. O_O

they cost you less if you buy them way in advance. you could probably get some tickets for the cl for 300 if you buy the tickets for next year now

cl=champions league

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-10-2009, 02:03 AM
No, it's not simple as that. Once again someone who doesn't know what they're talking about barges in.

Over 100million people watch the SuperBowl. Those 100mil+ see those commercials. The commercials are worth that much if they're reaching that many people. The commercials are effective if they reach that many people. I would pay 1,000,000 to get 30 seconds of publicity with 100million+ people.

Yes, but these commercials should be only for half time or something. If these guys stay to watch Superbowl commercials in between, they should also stay for half time. And if you're dissatisfied with having to watch fewer commercials, simply make the half-time period longer. Better than stopping and starting.

You don't. Football players can take a hit, but there are penalties for doing illegal motions, such as grabbing the face mask, jumping off sides, helmet to helmet, ect.

Oh, I see. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWSGY0a2vE - I really don't like fighting, but it's crazy to see two huge crowds like that going at it

The UEFA Champions League.

The most epic games were probably the 1999 and 2005 finals.

Then where do they get enough money to host the superbowl?

Tickets. Go figure.

Ranma
05-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Tickets. Go figure.

If they want enough to make a profit, they need people to pay for commercials...

Bumblebee16
05-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Tickets. Go figure.

Though they make some money off the tickets, do you know how much they make off commercials?

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-10-2009, 03:50 PM
If they want enough to make a profit, they need people to pay for commercials...

Though they make some money off the tickets, do you know how much they make off commercials?

Did you hear me say this?? Yes, but these commercials should be only for half time or something. If these guys stay to watch Superbowl commercials in between, they should also stay for half time. And if you're dissatisfied with having to watch fewer commercials, simply make the half-time period longer. Better than stopping and starting.

Ranma
05-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Did you hear me say this??

If they put it in during half-time the companies wouldn't pay nearly as much for the commercials...

Bumblebee16
05-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Did you hear me say this??

And in return wouldn't make as much.

spartan117
05-11-2009, 01:58 AM
World Cup has way more viewers than the superbowl yet it still doesnt have commercials.
Football is all about teh money and soccer is about enjoyment and actually getting to watch the game.

Haze
05-11-2009, 02:09 AM
World Cup has way more viewers than the superbowl yet it still doesnt have commercials.
Football is all about teh money and soccer is about enjoyment and actually getting to watch the game.

The World Cup is every 4 years, while the Super Bowl is every February. Four Super Bowls probably have more viewers than the World Cup Championship game.

Also, if they put them in at half time, they would lose a lot of viewers because a lot of people just change the channel during halftime. :x

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-11-2009, 02:39 AM
If they put it in during half-time the companies wouldn't pay nearly as much for the commercials...

And in return wouldn't make as much.

American football would've been more popular internationally if there weren't any commercials during play. These commercials are mainly what make American football unpopular/unknown outside of the US.

I'm telling you, many of the American football players have low stamina, and the Superbowl commercials are to hide the fact. To allow them to rest. To regain it.

I'd say. The Americans can go enjoy their own Superbowl.

The World Cup is every 4 years, while the Super Bowl is every February. Four Super Bowls probably have more viewers than the World Cup Championship game.

Also, if they put them in at half time, they would lose a lot of viewers because a lot of people just change the channel during halftime. :x

Wrong. The US population is definitely smaller than one-quarter of the number of people who watch the World Cup. Seriously. Billions watch the FIFA world Cup.

spartan117
05-11-2009, 02:49 AM
American football would've been more popular internationally if there weren't any commercials during play. These commercials are mainly what make American football unpopular/unknown outside of the US.

I'm telling you, many of the American football players have low stamina, and the Superbowl commercials are to hide the fact. To allow them to rest. To regain it.

I'd say. The Americans can go enjoy their own Superbowl.

Wrong. The US population is definitely smaller than one-quarter of the number of people who watch the World Cup. Seriously. Billions watch the FIFA world Cup.
1. I agree with that. Commercials are really annoying.
2. Lol Ive never thought of it that way.
3. Yea I mean I enjoyed the Giants vs Patriots Superbowl A LOT but I still prefer the World Cup.
4. Exactly. Billions of people watch the World CUp. ANd the fact its every four years also makes the wait very anticipating.

complexmanifold
05-11-2009, 03:50 AM
I find American football more entertaining; sorry soccer fans.

Orthar
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM

Rofl, someone is angry that his soccer players aren't on the same athletic level of Football players. Low stamina? K. Let's see you even try to play Football and see if you can even make it through a string of plays before a commercial would play, which according to you hides the act that they have low stamina.

Actually, don't wast your breath because you wouldn't be able to do it. A running back probably has more stamina in one leg then most Soccer players behind. Case in point? Ladanian Tomlinson (like, 2 years ago before he got injured).

Void
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
A running back probably has more stamina in one leg then most Soccer players behind. Case in point? Ladanian Tomlinson (like, 2 years ago before he got injured).

I seriously doubt it. When it comes to stamina there's no question about it, that soccer players totally own the NFL. I mean, you're talking about players that are running back and forth for 45 minutes at a time with no breaks and no substitutions. Football players, first of all, only play half the time. You're either on offense or defense, so thats half the game you get to rest. Secondly you're only running for like 10 seconds at a time, at max, if you're like a RB or WR, and then you get a 30+ second break in between plays. There is no stamina required. If you're a QB you rarely have to run, as you drop back and pass, o-linemen are usually more stationary, as they're blocking, not running.

Ayotui
05-11-2009, 12:50 PM
i think we can agree on this

soccer players have more stamina

while football players are faster and stronger

Void
05-11-2009, 01:05 PM
i think we can agree on this

soccer players have more stamina

while football players are faster and stronger

In general, not all the time.

Haze
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Well see here's the thing. Football players condition themselves to be able to go at full speed every play they're in. Tell a soccer player to sprint up and down the field every play, rather than jog some. They're trained to do completely different things so it's really not comparable.

@ Pikebeng, please stop posting about American Football.
Commercials are only after a change of possession or during a time out that the coach called. To hide their lack of stamina? Really, it's to make money, which is what the world is about now. Why do you think there are even commercials to begin with?

We Taste Pies...
05-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Well see here's the thing. Football players condition themselves to be able to go at full speed every play they're in. Tell a soccer player to sprint up and down the field every play, rather than jog some. They're trained to do completely different things so it's really not comparable.

Commercials are only after a change of possession or during a time out that the coach called. To hide their lack of stamina? Really, it's to make money, which is what the world is about now. Why do you think there are even commercials to begin with?

They really aren't comparable. In football, you have to be running at full speed pretty much the entire time. American football, however, is much more of a contact sport. You quite frequently get the **** beaten out of you :neutral:

EDIT: btw, for those people who say that football is better because more countries have football leagues and not leagues that play American football, listen up. If you'd ever researched the topic at all, you'd probably learn how much less expensive football is to play. For that reason, a lot of 3rd world countries have adopted football leagues.

Ayotui
05-11-2009, 07:08 PM
btw, for those people who say that football is better because more countries have football leagues and not leagues that play American football, listen up. If you'd ever researched the topic at all, you'd probably learn how much less expensive football is to play. For that reason, a lot of 3rd world countries have adopted football leagues.

what does that have to do with anything.

plus very few countries on europe are third world countries.

learn your facts before you say anything

the only third world countries that play football (well) are brazil, south africa and ghana

Haze
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM

the only third world countries that play football (well) are brazil, south africa and ghana

No countries in Europe are technically third world, because Europe is considered a developed region of the world. Also, Europe isn't the only place Soccer is played, it's played worldwide. How about you learn your facts ;)

We Taste Pies...
05-11-2009, 07:14 PM

Are you serious... I don't even want to dignify this post with an answer, but otherwise, I assume someone of your intelligence would shoot me down for it.

1. "what does that have to do with anything." :
Countries that can't afford to play american football can often afford to play football. With it being available to a larger spectrum of people.

2. "very few countries on europe are third world countries."
Football is most likely more popular there because it came before the creation of American football (the name also gives away the secret hidden answer :wink:)

3. "the only third world countries that play football (well) are brazil, south africa and ghana"
Where the hell did we say anything about skill?

Please, don't respond, your ignorance tires me.

Ayotui
05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
No countries in Europe are technically third world, because Europe is considered a developed region of the world. Also, Europe isn't the only place Soccer is played, it's played worldwide. How about you learn your facts ;)

i know that i mean the countries that play it well. (top 10 in the fifa ranking):
Spain (1st world)
Germany (1st world)
Netherlands (1st world)
Brazil (3rd world)
Italy (1st world)
Argentina (3rd world)
England (1st world)
Croatia (1st world)
Russia (1st world)
France (1st world)

this is just to prove that most countries that play soccer are not 3rd world countries

We Taste Pies...
05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
i know that i mean the countries that play it well. (top 10 in the fifa ranking):
Spain (1st world)
Germany (1st world)
Netherlands (1st world)
Brazil (3rd world)
Italy (1st world)
Argentina (3rd world)
England (1st world)
Croatia (1st world)
Russia (1st world)
France (1st world)

this is just to prove that most countries that play soccer are not 3rd world countries

I asked you nicely not to answer. Did you not read the part where I mentioned that skill has nothing to do with this arguement. That is because skill does not reflect in any way how many countries play. In fact, it only shows the countries with more money have an advantage.

I'd also like to know how 10 countries can show me that most countries that play football aren't 3rd world? Some might have their own leagues which only compete within their country. Others might not be on the top 10 of the FIFA rankings.

Your last post is so irrelevant, it could almost be considered spam.

Ayotui
05-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I asked you nicely not to answer. Did you not read the part where I mentioned that skill has nothing to do with this arguement. That is because skill does not reflect in any way how many countries play. In fact, it only shows the countries with more money have an advantage.

I'd also like to know how 10 countries can show me that most countries that play football aren't 3rd world? Some might have their own leagues which only compete within their country. Others might not be on the top 10 of the FIFA rankings.

Your last post is so irrelevant, it could almost be considered spam.

it does,nt show that 3rd world countries don,t play it just shows that they play really bad. and no country has own leagues that only play in their own country.

and how can skill be unimportant in this argument. the more countries that play the bigger the chance of people that are skilled appearing . so yes it does matter

We Taste Pies...
05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
it does,nt show that 3rd world countries don,t play it just shows that they play really bad. and no country has own leagues that only play in their own country.

and how can skill be unimportant in this argument. the more countries that play the bigger the chance of people that are skilled appearing . so yes it does matter

The argument we are having is over the worldwide popularity of these 2 sports. Skill has a limited effect on this factor.

Black Hawk
05-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Your posts are so poorly researched and badly written that I think I lose brain cells every time I see one. Just stop.

...I agree with pretty much everything WTP has said btw.

spartan117
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
World views > USA views. (except democracy xD)
Like the metric system is so much better and Soccer should be called Football.

Ahlat
05-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Well If you mean which name better suits it than Soccer. Though if you mean which one is better it's all a matter of opinion and I don't really enjoy watching any of em but enjoy playing American Football more because of the fact that I don't like to play with my feet. Though if I had to watch one it would be Soccer. :X

Void
05-12-2009, 07:34 AM
EDIT: btw, for those people who say that football is better because more countries have football leagues and not leagues that play American football, listen up. If you'd ever researched the topic at all, you'd probably learn how much less expensive football is to play. For that reason, a lot of 3rd world countries have adopted football leagues.

That's a good thing. A sport shouldn't be expensive to play. And besides, more first world countries play soccer compared to American football. Pretty much the whole of Europe and Asia (including the first world Asian countries) play soccer. Only the U.S., and possibly some countries nearby play American football.

We Taste Pies...
05-12-2009, 09:05 AM
That's a good thing. A sport shouldn't be expensive to play. And besides, more first world countries play soccer compared to American football. Pretty much the whole of Europe and Asia (including the first world Asian countries) play soccer. Only the U.S., and possibly some countries nearby play American football.

Whats your basis that a sport shouldn't be expensive to play?

MaskedJackal
05-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Who cares who plays it? It's much more enjoyable.

Void
05-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Who cares who plays it? It's much more enjoyable.

That's the point. More people in the world think that soccer is more enjoyable than American football. This poll doesn't really count for anything, this forum consists of mostly Americans.

Whats your basis that a sport shouldn't be expensive to play?

So that everyone, not just whoever can afford it, can play it.

We Taste Pies...
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
That's the point. More people in the world think that soccer is more enjoyable than American football. This poll doesn't really count for anything, this forum consists of mostly Americans.

If only life were that simple. I'd like to have a huge house and billions like Bill Gates, but I don't see my huge check.

Void
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
If only life were that simple. I'd like to have a huge house and billions like Bill Gates, but I don't see my huge check.

And just how is that relevant? I'm saying that because soccer is financially easier to play, and you're saying you would like to be as rich as Bill Gates........

We Taste Pies...
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
And just how is that relevant? I'm saying that because soccer is financially easier to play, and you're saying you would like to be as rich as Bill Gates........

I'm saying life isn't fair. Some people aren't as fortunate as others. Don't try to make me look stupid for making a comparison. Some countries cannot afford to play other sports, so the play football. Others can afford other sports. It isn't fair, but that's life. If you don't understand my comparison, then there is no hope for you.

Void
05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm saying life isn't fair. Some people aren't as fortunate as others. Don't try to make me look stupid for making a comparison. Some countries cannot afford to play other sports, so the play football. Others can afford other sports. It isn't fair, but that's life. If you don't understand my comparison, then there is no hope for you.

You do realize I'm not saying it's unfair, but that a sport should not cost a lot to play? And besides, what's your basis that a sport should be expensive to play?

We Taste Pies...
05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
You do realize I'm not saying it's unfair, but that a sport should not cost a lot to play? And besides, what's your basis that a sport should be expensive to play?

I never said it should. Its not in our control. Both sports have can be defined by what is necessary to play them. One costs more that the other. That's not our fault. You're taking a strange look at this. The idea the you seem to be adopting, from what you have said, is that life should be fair and everybody should have equal opportunities. Unfortunately, nothing in life is like this.

Void
05-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I never said it should. Its not in our control. Both sports have can be defined by what is necessary to play them. One costs more that the other. That's not our fault. You're taking a strange look at this. The idea the you seem to be adopting, from what you have said, is that life should be fair and everybody should have equal opportunities. Unfortunately, nothing in life is like this.

I never said it should be that way. Because soccer is cheaper to play, it gives equal opportunities to everyone. So I'm not saying it should be that way, I'm saying that it is that way, which is a good thing.

We Taste Pies...
05-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I never said it should be that way. Because soccer is cheaper to play, it gives equal opportunities to everyone. So I'm not saying it should be that way, I'm saying that it is that way, which is a good thing.

I didn't disagree with you. Basically, what you said was football was better because it was cheaper. All I'm trying to say is that football is financially better, but if it wasn't, the results to this poll might be drastically different (setting aside the majority of Americans who voted).

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Rofl, someone is angry that his soccer players aren't on the same athletic level of Football players. Low stamina? K. Let's see you even try to play Football and see if you can even make it through a string of plays before a commercial would play, which according to you hides the act that they have low stamina.

Actually, don't wast your breath because you wouldn't be able to do it. A running back probably has more stamina in one leg then most Soccer players behind. Case in point? Ladanian Tomlinson (like, 2 years ago before he got injured).

I believe I can last American football because of the commercials. Considering I can't even last one half of a soccer match right now... I'd say.

I mean, they have to train on other stuff as well, right? Stuff other than stamina. The commercials remove much, if not all, of the need of stamina.

Sure, soccer players will gladly do that. Ask the professional soccer players to do that. I can tell you this: they won't fail.

They really aren't comparable. In football, you have to be running at full speed pretty much the entire time. American football, however, is much more of a contact sport. You quite frequently get the **** beaten out of you :neutral:

Actually, it's because of the lack of publicity of American football outside of America. America is rich. The people can very well spend a lot on soccer. But they don't. Why? Because there's not much publicity for soccer in America.

World views > USA views. (except democracy xD)
Like the metric system is so much better and Soccer should be called Football.

I totally agree with this one.

High five? ;)

Well If you mean which name better suits it than Soccer. Though if you mean which one is better it's all a matter of opinion and I don't really enjoy watching any of em but enjoy playing American Football more because of the fact that I don't like to play with my feet. Though if I had to watch one it would be Soccer. :X

How about... using both factors. :O

QFT.

Oh, btw. How about this: To avoid confusion, let's just use soccer and American football to compare these 2 sports from now. What say you?

We Taste Pies...
05-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Actually, it's because of the lack of publicity of American football outside of America. America is rich. The people can very well spend a lot on soccer. But they don't. Why? Because there's not much publicity for soccer in America.

Actually, I've seen a news report on this topic. ESPN>You :oops:

Ayotui
05-12-2009, 04:38 PM
To avoid confusion, let's just use soccer and American football to compare these 2 sports from now. What say you?

that seems like a good idea

spartan117
05-12-2009, 08:49 PM

I totally agree with this one.
High five? ;)

Oh, btw. How about this: To avoid confusion, let's just use soccer and American football to compare these 2 sports from now. What say you?

1. Americans iare kinda stuborn and dont want soccer. They think their Football is better. IMO they can both co-exist and be popular but Americans choose to stay with their own sports.

2. Sure. ^_^

3. Yea I agree.

karmachameleon
05-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I seriously doubt it. When it comes to stamina there's no question about it, that soccer players totally own the NFL. I mean, you're talking about players that are running back and forth for 45 minutes at a time with no breaks and no substitutions. Football players, first of all, only play half the time. You're either on offense or defense, so thats half the game you get to rest. Secondly you're only running for like 10 seconds at a time, at max, if you're like a RB or WR, and then you get a 30+ second break in between plays. There is no stamina required. If you're a QB you rarely have to run, as you drop back and pass, o-linemen are usually more stationary, as they're blocking, not running.

O-lineman have to be very agile, not stationary, while being very strong and fat. Everyone is playing with full pads on and getting tackled every other play, while running much harder and faster than Euro footballers, just not for as long. You're saying that European footballers are better athletes because they run for longer, which doesn't make sense at all. I don't know if you've played both sports like I have, but Am football was definitely more tiring.

How is American football expensive to play? You take a ball, people, a grass field, and two goals and thats it, not counting pads. Exactly as expensive as it is to play European football.

Silverhawk
05-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm English and have lived in America in the past. While Rugby is my main sport, I have to say real football.

I played a bit of American football and well, I think it lacked fluidity between attacking and defending. To me it seems more like rugby with different rules, plus, the game would be so much better without pads.

Football will always be the beautiful game, and the Americans here can say what they wish. It is the worlds most popular sport for a reason.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Actually, I've seen a news report on this topic. ESPN>You :oops:

So have I. >_>

Just that not many non-Americans would care.

O-lineman have to be very agile, not stationary, while being very strong and fat. Everyone is playing with full pads on and getting tackled every other play, while running much harder and faster than Euro footballers, just not for as long. You're saying that European footballers are better athletes because they run for longer, which doesn't make sense at all. I don't know if you've played both sports like I have, but Am football was definitely more tiring.

How is American football expensive to play? You take a ball, people, a grass field, and two goals and thats it, not counting pads. Exactly as expensive as it is to play European football.

They pack more power but they usually have less stamina.

As for cost, though... I'm not sure.

I'm English and have lived in America in the past. While Rugby is my main sport, I have to say real football.

I played a bit of American football and well, I think it lacked fluidity between attacking and defending. To me it seems more like rugby with different rules, plus, the game would be so much better without pads.

Football will always be the beautiful game, and the Americans here can say what they wish. It is the worlds most popular sport for a reason.

For now, just use soccer. ;P

skiboydoggy
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Football. FOOTball. Football. Football. Football.

See what I'm getting at here? Football, the ball played with feet. Americans you silly thiefcats.

American Football is like Rugby, except with breaks every five minutes and full armour. Of course the fact that there are breaks and full armour means a completely different set of players of each game, but that hardly excuses the fact that the games are essentially similar. Except you know, Rugby is cheaper to play.

And anyone who says football is boring is obviously purposely blinding themselves to the beauty of the game, or has only seen amateurs play. There's a reason why the World Cup is more popular than the Olympics, and it's not because football is boring.

Ranma
05-12-2009, 11:16 PM

And then you add in the cost of the pads...

spartan117
05-13-2009, 12:48 AM

See what I'm getting at here? Football, the ball played with feet. Americans you silly thiefcats.

American Football is like Rugby, except with breaks every five minutes and full armour. Of course the fact that there are breaks and full armour means a completely different set of players of each game, but that hardly excuses the fact that the games are essentially similar. Except you know, Rugby is cheaper to play.

And anyone who says football is boring is obviously purposely blinding themselves to the beauty of the game, or has only seen amateurs play. There's a reason why the World Cup is more popular than the Olympics, and it's not because football is boring.
Yea exactly. You says its boring but you have to try to watch good teams play and watch at leats more then one game.

karmachameleon
05-13-2009, 02:38 AM
And then you add in the cost of the pads...

No one plays with pads when you're just playing for fun with people. Pads are only used for school/park teams that you sign up for to be in a league. In that case, it is more expensive but if you're just playing for fun it's the same cost.

I love both sports, I played Euro football for 4 years and had some awesome games, I just think that watching American football is more fun. Is Kaka still the best player?

MaskedJackal
05-13-2009, 03:12 AM

No, it's just extremely boring. I'd rather watch two division-three college teams play football than watch the soccer World Cup championship game.

Void
05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Don't ask me, ask WTP. He said 'If you'd ever researched the topic at all, you'd probably learn how much less expensive football is to play'.

No, it's just extremely boring. I'd rather watch two division-three college teams play football than watch the soccer World Cup championship game.

Says you. I'd rather watch second division college teams play soccer than watch the Superbowl. That's not really a point, now, is it?

skiboydoggy
05-13-2009, 09:13 AM
No one plays with pads when you're just playing for fun with people. Pads are only used for school/park teams that you sign up for to be in a league. In that case, it is more expensive but if you're just playing for fun it's the same cost.

I love both sports, I played Euro football for 4 years and had some awesome games, I just think that watching American football is more fun. Is Kaka still the best player?
Cristiano Ronaldo has been winning best player of the year awards.

And on another note, it seems Americans are the only ones who can bring themselves to dislike football. Seriously, the FIFA World Cup is what the Olympics dream of being. It doesn't matter how rich your country is, it doesn't matter whether you are black or white or brown or green or blue, it doesn't matter whether your country is capitalist, democratic, communist, facist, or whatever else. All it needs is for you to be able to play, and that is all there is to it. People love the World Cup, and the World Cup is good to people.

In any case, football has been around long before America existed, so there's really no case for the Americans trying to spread the name anywhere outside of the USA.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-13-2009, 09:14 AM

I know that's what the truth should be, too. However, most if not all Americans refuse to call soccer football, so this is the best compromise we can have for now.

Yea exactly. You says its boring but you have to try to watch good teams play and watch at leats more then one game.

Which I have done before. And I quickly got so bored of the breaks that I gave up.

I'm telling you, if there were no breaks other than the all-important half time I promise you I will watch them play. However, with all those stupid breaks... no go.

That's the average American. Really, Americans don't even make up 5% of the world population. Naturally, that wouldn't be the average human's opinion. In fact...

Says you. I'd rather watch second division college teams play soccer than watch the Superbowl. That's not really a point, now, is it?

What he said.

Cristiano Ronaldo has been winning best player of the year awards.

And on another note, it seems Americans are the only ones who can bring themselves to dislike football. Seriously, the FIFA World Cup is what the Olympics dream of being. It doesn't matter how rich your country is, it doesn't matter whether you are black or white or brown or green or blue, it doesn't matter whether your country is capitalist, democratic, communist, facist, or whatever else. All it needs is for you to be able to play, and that is all there is to it. People love the World Cup, and the World Cup is good to people.

In any case, football has been around long before America existed, so there's really no case for the Americans trying to spread the name anywhere outside of the USA.

QFT.

Void
05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I know that's what the truth should be, too. However, most if not all Americans refuse to call soccer football, so this is the best compromise we can have for now.

What I don't get is why Americans didn't just call their own sport soccer. Then Europe would be playing their own sport, with their own name (although it is called by its real name in Europe anyway), and so would the Americans. At least, then I would have some respect for the Americans and their sport.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-13-2009, 12:21 PM
What I don't get is why Americans didn't just call their own sport soccer. Then Europe would be playing their own sport, with their own name (although it is called by its real name in Europe anyway), and so would the Americans. At least, then I would have some respect for the Americans and their sport.

Because soccer was already determined to be what it is now. No, seriously. If you look back, you'll see.

Void
05-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Because soccer was already determined to be what it is now. No, seriously. If you look back, you'll see.

I couldn't really find anything about that in the link Spartan gave me. >.>

skiboydoggy
05-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I couldn't really find anything about that in the link Spartan gave me. >.>
Because Americans are silly like that. In trying to differentiate themselves from the rest of the world, they are using the British Imperial System of measurement. In trying to create a national identity, they are pushing for the adoption of English as their national language.
They like stealing names too.

Now I'm going to run from an American mob.

Ayotui
05-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Because Americans are silly like that. In trying to differentiate themselves from the rest of the world, they are using the British Imperial System of measurement. In trying to create a national identity, they are pushing for the adoption of English as their national language.

exactly. whats next are they going to make a weird drink call it tea and then name the real tea: something weird like weird drink.

sorry about the stereotype though.

spartan117
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Yea thats the thing. British had teh name first and then Americans adopted it. Which makes no sense to me since even the British dont use the name or teh Imperial system.

Gold Rush
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
This thread is actually crazy, now it has become British vs American .-.

Really Football (Not american) is the most popular sport in the world, and for the american's it is not very popular because they don't have a very good team :P

spartan117
05-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Really Football (Not american) is the most popular sport in the world, and for the american's it is not very popular because they don't have a very good team :P
That not why its not popular. Americans refuse to accept it and theres also not enough publicity on it.

Haze
05-13-2009, 06:56 PM

No that would be because it's boring. Why do you think Baseball is considered America's pastime?

Spartan it's not that publicity is an issue, it's just in America, most people grow up around American Football/Baseball.

Also for all you people who say American Football is stupid; Have you ever even watched a game? I would say some of the college atmospheres at games rival the World Cup games. Maybe not the championship, but the other games yeah.

:|

Ayotui
05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
No that would be because it's boring. Why do you think Baseball is considered America's pastime?

Spartan it's not that publicity is an issue, it's just in America, most people grow up around American Football/Baseball.

Also for all you people who say American Football is stupid; Have you ever even watched a game? I would say some of the college atmospheres at games rival the World Cup games. Maybe not the championship, but the other games yeah.

i just have one comment to that

have you ever watched the world cup?

Haze
05-13-2009, 07:11 PM
i just have one comment to that

Yes I have actually, I watch it every time it comes on.

MaskedJackal
05-13-2009, 07:11 PM

I tried, but I ended up falling asleep.

Ranma
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
exactly. whats next are they going to make a weird drink call it tea and then name the real tea: something weird like weird drink.

sorry about the stereotype though.

Why would we do something that'd be a pain in the ass for everyone, since all americans are used to tea = tea.

Same happened when I watched the Superbowl.

Black Hawk
05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Same happened when I watched the Superbowl.

In the last two SuperBowls I don't think that would be possible seeing as the Patriots lost one(**** yeah!) and Cards v Steelers was one of if not the best football game I've ever seen.

Ranma
05-13-2009, 09:50 PM
In the last two SuperBowls I don't think that would be possible seeing as the Patriots lost one(**** yeah!) and Cards v Steelers was one of if not the best football game I've ever seen.

Well I didn't really fall asleep, but I watched some and found myself more interested in other things.

And I thought the Cards vs. Steelers was pretty boring. Watching american football isn't fun; playing it is.

spartan117
05-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Well I didn't really fall asleep, but I watched some and found myself more interested in other things.

And I thought the Cards vs. Steelers was pretty boring. Watching american football isn't fun; playing it is.
The Giants superbowl was really good imo and I watched the whoel thing but the Cards vs. Steelers was boring and I just didnt bother watching it.

Ayotui
05-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Why would we do something that'd be a pain in the ass for everyone, since all americans are used to tea = tea.

it was a joke.:rolleyes:

Ranma
05-14-2009, 07:33 PM
it was a joke.:rolleyes:

I know, but it was also a stereotype about Americans always changing things. :rolleyes:

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-16-2009, 06:07 AM

Good luck. :)

Seriously though, America is actually quite... atypical in that sense. What you said.

Because it has nothing to do with the word "football". They're doing this out of spite. They succeeded in reducing publicity for soccer in America. Only exposure about outside let the Americans know about soccer.

I'd fall asleep watching American football's pauses. Good thing I gave up.

Haze
05-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Good luck. :)

Seriously though, America is actually quite... atypical in that sense. What you said.

Because it has nothing to do with the word "football". They're doing this out of spite. They succeeded in reducing publicity for soccer in America. Only exposure about outside let the Americans know about soccer.

I'd fall asleep watching American football's pauses. Good thing I gave up.

You do know your feeble attempts at humor fail miserably?

You make it out like Americans purposely try to spite the rest of the world, when that's not true. Please just stop posting here until you get some actual facts.

Ayotui
05-16-2009, 08:39 AM

You make it out like Americans purposely try to spite the rest of the world, when that's not true. Please just stop posting here until you get some actual facts.

hey i know you don,t agree with him but let him have his opinion.

DON,T TELL PEOPLE TO STOP POSTING HERE

Babii Pikachu
05-16-2009, 09:03 AM

^ I like your words, and it's quoted for truth. ^

This has become very flame-filled. Guys, everyone has the right to their own opinion, so respect it. kthnzplzbai

Void
05-16-2009, 09:04 AM

No, it doesn't. Nothing rivals the atmosphere at the World Cup games. Many, many citizens come to support and cheer on their country. American football? ****, they don't even play it internationally.

MaskedJackal
05-16-2009, 12:24 PM

QFT

Really, they're trying to make soccer big in the US, but they're failing. The only ones who care are Columbus Crew fans, and the majority of those are Ohio State fans, so they're really only getting to the dumbest of Americans. ;)

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-16-2009, 01:26 PM

They were serious posts.

The evidence all points towards that. I mean, America still hardly uses the metric system. And that's just for starters.

^ I like your words, and it's quoted for truth. ^

This has become very flame-filled. Guys, everyone has the right to their own opinion, so respect it. kthnzplzbai

Well. Let's get back on topic, then.

No, it doesn't. Nothing rivals the atmosphere at the World Cup games. Many, many citizens come to support and cheer on their country. American football? ****, they don't even play it internationally.

QFT.

Haze
05-16-2009, 01:56 PM
QFT

Really, they're trying to make soccer big in the US, but they're failing. The only ones who care are Columbus Crew fans, and the majority of those are Ohio State fans, so they're really only getting to the dumbest of Americans. ;)

Somebody is a Michigan fanboy, but I'd have to go with those Tar Heels being the dumbest ;)

Pikabeng, how is not using the Metric System spiteful. It's the country's own decision to do whichever they want. Maybe the rest of the world just wants to spite America so they do use the metric system, because your reasoning points toward that.

iReign
05-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I like how everyone says AMERICAN football and wonder why it isn't played internationally. :x

skiboydoggy
05-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I like how everyone says AMERICAN football and wonder why it isn't played internationally. :x
Because Rugby is superior.

Ayotui
05-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Somebody is a Michigan fanboy, but I'd have to go with those Tar Heels being the dumbest ;)

Pikabeng, how is not using the Metric System spiteful. It's the country's own decision to do whichever they want. Maybe the rest of the world just wants to spite America so they do use the metric system, because your reasoning points toward that.
that is just stupid why would the world use the metric system just to spite america.

QFT

iReign
05-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Because Rugby is superior.

...what? I fail to see the relevance in that post. :confused:

skiboydoggy
05-16-2009, 02:58 PM
...what? I fail to see the relevance in that post. :confused:
Because rugby is superior to American football, therefore everyone plays and watches rugby internationally. It's just me being unnecessarily antagonistic as usual.

karmachameleon
05-16-2009, 03:22 PM

Michigan all the way

Rugby is not superior, baseball is. The RPG elements of American Football are the reason why it's better than both European and Australian football. That and Jason Elam.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-16-2009, 05:07 PM

In other words, they allow themselves to be spiteful. >_>

The metric system has been the standard since last century. Americans simply refused to go with the flow. It can't be the rest of the world using the metric system just to spite America.

No, we're wondering why despite it not being played internationally, some people still deem it superior to soccer, rugby and the like.

Because rugby is superior to American football, therefore everyone plays and watches rugby internationally. It's just me being unnecessarily antagonistic as usual.

Nah, it's just that you're right.

Michigan all the way

Rugby is not superior, baseball is. The RPG elements of American Football are the reason why it's better than both European and Australian football. That and Jason Elam.

If American football has RPG elements, so do Australian football and soccer. And rugby.

And baseball can't be any more superior than rugby. And it's way off-topic. Little contact (if any) in baseball, for starters.

MaskedJackal
05-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Rubgy is nothing but a watered-down and less-complex version of American football, not to mention, this thread has nothing to do with rugby.

Yes Karma, Michigan all the way. Brandon Minor could probably move overseas and be one of the most athletic rugby players there is.

Lol, it's actually kind of funny how anti-American Ah Beng is.

Haze
05-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes Karma, Michigan all the way. Brandon Minor could probably move overseas and be one of the most athletic rugby players there is.
He's from one of my local high schools :O

That it is

Pikabeng: There's so much contact in soccer :rolleyes:

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Rubgy is nothing but a watered-down and less-complex version of American football, not to mention, this thread has nothing to do with rugby.

Wrong. American football players are bigger and stronger than rugby players only because America has a far bigger pool of such players. If there were British of that size, chances are they'd have been on the rugby team, no doubt. And rugby is even smaller than soccer in America. Do the math(s).

And I'm not anti-American. I'm just pointing out the facts. I'd point out the shortcomings of my own country, too, if it was on-topic.

EDIT: And if I'm anti-American, so is Ski. Why target only me? :rolleyes:

He's from one of my local high schools :O

That it is

Pikabeng: There's so much contact in soccer :rolleyes:

I pointed that out first. D:<

Haze
05-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Wrong. American football players are bigger and stronger than rugby players only because America has a far bigger pool of such players. If there were British of that size, chances are they'd have been on the rugby team, no doubt. And rugby is even smaller than soccer in America. Do the math(s).
Uhm, if Rugby is so popular worldwide, then you surely have a MUCH bigger pool of players than America does for Football.

And I'm not anti-American. I'm just pointing out the facts. I'd point out the shortcomings of my own country, too, if it was on-topic.

EDIT: And if I'm anti-American, so is Ski. Why target only me? :rolleyes:
Because Ski's post actually have some fact rather than opinions that are biased/untrue

I pointed that out first. D:<

That was sarcasm.

MaskedJackal
05-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Uhm, if Rugby is so popular worldwide, then you surely have a MUCH bigger pool of players than America does for Football.

That's what I was thinking. You can't make a case for rugby being more popular worldwide, yet at the same time having a smaller pool of athletes.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-17-2009, 06:44 AM

I don't need to. Statistics show for themselves. The Rugby World Cup is watched less worldwide than only the FIFA World Cup (which proves once more that Soccer >> American Football) and the Summer Olympics. And tell me, where does the Superbowl stand in comparison?

Because Ski's post actually have some fact rather than opinions that are biased/untrue

My posts also have facts.

That was sarcasm.

Not again? D:

That's what I was thinking. You can't make a case for rugby being more popular worldwide, yet at the same time having a smaller pool of athletes.

The reason why rugby is so popular worldwide is because it's actually played worldwide. Not like American football.

Now, let's get back on topic.

Charbok
05-17-2009, 07:04 AM
I can't believe anyone in Europe thinks they're better than America. They think they're so fancy. They're probably just a bunch of stupid fancy-pants who don't know a thing about "hard work" or "effort". Shut up you crazy Europeans, you don't know anything.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-17-2009, 07:53 AM
I can't believe anyone in Europe thinks they're better than America. They think they're so fancy. They're probably just a bunch of stupid fancy-pants who don't know a thing about "hard work" or "effort". Shut up you crazy Europeans, you don't know anything.

Well.
1. Whose side are you on?
2. Ski and I are Singaporean, which means we are Asian.
3. Did you post this in the wrong place? :O

skiboydoggy
05-17-2009, 08:05 AM
You're missing your sarcasm tags.

Charbok
05-17-2009, 08:36 AM
sat⋅ire  [sat-ahyuhr]
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Void
05-17-2009, 08:48 AM

Everyone? Only I said that.

Anyway, we say AMERICAN football because Americans stole the name from Europe, and calling it football would just mean confusion whether we are talking about the fail sport Americans created, or REAL football.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-17-2009, 10:29 AM
sat⋅ire  [sat-ahyuhr]
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

What was that for again? :confused:

MaskedJackal
05-17-2009, 12:29 PM

Quoted for truth. Now that I think of it, they're the one's who start all these football vs. soccer arguments. It seems like soccer fans care more about football than football fans care about soccer.

spartan117
05-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Quoted for truth. Now that I think of it, they're the one's who start all these football vs. soccer arguments. It seems like soccer fans care more about football than football fans care about soccer.
The creator of this thread voted for A.Football....

Charbok
05-18-2009, 12:27 PM

What's funny is that I was being ridiculously sarcastic in order to point out how absurd you're all being. It's a sport for God's sake, not a human rights issue...

Void
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM

lolfail. Get your facts right, it was an American football fan who started this argument.

skiboydoggy
05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
lolfail. Get your facts right, it was an American football fan who started this argument.
It's Wunschy. Why would you expect him to be getting his facts right?

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
05-18-2009, 02:12 PM

I said use American football. D:<

What's funny is that I was being ridiculously sarcastic in order to point out how absurd you're all being. It's a sport for God's sake, not a human rights issue...

And I thought I made it clear that I fail at detecting sarcasm. Especially on a forum. Try another way. >_>

And besides, the name football does not befit American football, where hands are used far more often than legs.

Ayotui
05-18-2009, 05:20 PM

i mean the same thing about Americans. and why do you call yourselfs Americans. America is a continent not a country.

Judge Dredd
05-18-2009, 06:29 PM
why hasnt this thing been locked yet...its 15 pages of flamming and spam...lol

Haze
05-18-2009, 06:37 PM
i mean the same thing about Americans. and why do you call yourselfs Americans. America is a continent not a country.

....So is Europe and you still call yourselves European. The United States of America, what would you rather have us be called, United Statans?

Ayotui
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
....So is Europe and you still call yourselves European. The United States of America, what would you rather have us be called, United Statans?

no i am from norway and i call myself Norwegian and so do most other people in Europe to (with theire respective countries). European is only used if you are introducing yourself as a person from Europe.

you call yourself Americans cause you are from u.s.a. and yes you could call yourselves United Statans (it would catch on eventually)

MaskedJackal
05-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Correction: It was a football fan who started the poll, not the argument.

@Ah Behng: I'm not conforming to the cultures of other countries.