PDA

View Full Version : Gaming with a cause

fullmetal
07-18-2009, 11:20 PM
http://www.thespeedgamers.com/

These guys have been doing video game marathons for almost a year now, from games like pokemon to halo. All for a cause, they do these marathons and people donate money to what ever charity the marathon is for.

This week is Final Fantasy. They are donating to ACT. ACT is a charity that gives money to families that have an autistic child, though can not afford medication and various other medical things. So be a good person and spread the word of these guys, even donate. Be a fan on Facebook, be a part of their Facebook group as well. If you don't want to do any of that, just kick back and watch some really cool people play some classic games

Move this if its in the wrong thread, yeah k w.e

Vaughn
07-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Cool, they're playing the old Final Fantasy!

Hypocrisy is Fun
07-18-2009, 11:39 PM
If people donated money to the poor everytime I played video games when I was younger, there'd be no poverty.

Lusankya
07-18-2009, 11:50 PM
If people donated money to the poor everytime I played video games when I was younger, there'd be no poverty.

Lol.

But yeah, this is a pretty cool and creative idea, I wonder if they'll try it with some more modern games.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-19-2009, 02:23 AM

Given such a small time frame, it'd still be impossible to totally eradicate poverty. There'd still be some poor people here and there, even though the number would be much smaller.

It's good that people want to help the poor, and this is an innovative method... but I'm not sure if it'd be a good excuse to keep playing video games all day. :X

Hypocrisy is Fun
07-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Given such a small time frame, it'd still be impossible to totally eradicate poverty. There'd still be some poor people here and there, even though the number would be much smaller.

Main Entry: hy·per·bo·le
Pronunciation: \hī-ˈpər-bə-(ˌ)lē\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek hyperbolē excess, hyperbole, hyperbola, from hyperballein to exceed, from hyper- + ballein to throw
Date: 15th century

extravagant exaggeration (as “mile-high ice-cream cones”)

fullmetal
07-19-2009, 04:32 AM

It's good that people want to help the poor, and this is an innovative method... but I'm not sure if it'd be a good excuse to keep playing video games all day. :X

Its not an excuse, its a way to help people.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Its not an excuse, its a way to help people.

I know that. Obviously the aim is to help people through gaming. And there'll be people who sincerely want to help. But there'd be someone who'd play video games on the pretext of helping them, right? :X

fullmetal
07-19-2009, 05:54 AM
I know that. Obviously the aim is to help people through gaming. And there'll be people who sincerely want to help. But there'd be someone who'd play video games on the pretext of helping them, right? :X

If you're an ass then yeah.

Pokemon_Ron
07-24-2009, 06:38 AM
yeh the speedgamers are awesome. i donated last night $10. i discovered them when they did the pokemon marathon

also, in some marathons (like the halo one) they dont collect money for charity, they just do it for fun

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-25-2009, 06:21 AM
If you're an ass then yeah.

I guess... Well, there're many such people out there. :X

i discovered them when they did the pokemon marathon

So did I. =O

also, in some marathons (like the halo one) they dont collect money for charity, they just do it for fun

So where does the money go?

Pokemon_Ron
07-25-2009, 06:28 AM
I guess... Well, there're many such people out there. :X

So did I. =O

So where does the money go?

they dont collect money during certain marathons

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-26-2009, 07:53 AM
they dont collect money during certain marathons

Right, so that's just for recognition. So they can raise more the next time. Right? :O

Pokemon_Ron
07-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Right, so that's just for recognition. So they can raise more the next time. Right? :O

yeh so they can get more noticed i guess. someone email them and ask xD