PDA

View Full Version : Requirments for a Anime to be a Anime?

Peace Buyer
07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
I've been on a Anime watching spree and noticed that most Anime have what some dont.

So what does a anime require to become a anime?

Vaughn
07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Animes have to have people/characters.

Ayotui
07-19-2009, 08:19 PM
they need to be asian. cause if not they are cartoons

Peace Buyer
07-19-2009, 08:28 PM
what I though (at first) had to have some of these, Tons of violence, cursing. and some there things

Vaughn
07-19-2009, 08:29 PM
They don't have to have cursing. Naruto doesn;t have that much cursing except for Damn and some other words.

Peace Buyer
07-19-2009, 08:32 PM
naruto shouldnt even be counted as a anime, it doesnt have tons of violence most animes have violence in every episode.

Ayotui
07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
no they dont.

the prince of tennis has no violence yet it is an anime.

hungry heart is also a great soccer anime.

so no voilence is not a requirement.

edit: i almost forgot. pokemon is an anime. a sucky anime but still an anime.

Vaughn
07-19-2009, 08:37 PM
naruto shouldnt even be counted as a anime, it doesnt have tons of violence most animes have violence in every episode.

What are you talking about?

Sure, it's not action-packed every single episode, but they do have action and violence.

Peace Buyer
07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
edit: i almost forgot. pokemon is an anime. a sucky anime but still an anime.

Pokemon isnt a anime, it is only on cartoon net work, they dont show anime anymoar.

what gave you that Idear it was an anime?

Phantom Kat
07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Pokemon isnt a anime, it is only on cartoon net work, they dont show anime anymoar.

what gave you that Idear it was an anime?

Pokemon is an anime just as all Japanese animated shows are anime. Animated shows made in the US are cartoons just as graphic novels made in Japan are called manga and graphic novels made in the US are comic books. Maybe it's not set in stone, but that's what most people consider anime and manga to be. ^^;

What I got from dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anime)

And CN also shows Yu-Gi-Oh! which is an anime.

- Kat

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Crude checklist for anime qualification:

Based on a novel/game made by, but not necessarily, a Japanese person.
Originally created by a mangaka, be or not be truly Japanese.
Originally conceived by a Japanese or affiliated animation studio.
Originally produced by a Japanese or affiliated animation studio.
Use of foreign animation studios to cut costs is allowed.
Animation style used does not appear to rely heavily on Western CGI or drawing style.
Animation style is not a cheap ripoff of mainstream anime.
Anime can be about anything. Either fullblown action sequences smothered together in 22 minute episodes, or love dramas about crossdressing lolicons.

It's not a complete list, but it goes to show why Pokemon is an anime and why let's say Alfred Jodocus Kwak, which was made by a Japanese company, isn't.

Gokudera-Kun
07-19-2009, 08:56 PM
It's pretty much safe to say if it was originally from Japan(like Bleach), it's an anime. If it originated in the US(Scooby-Doo), it's a cartoon.

Ayotui
07-19-2009, 09:00 PM
i think you should say asian rather than japanese cause there are many corean and chinese animes.

Professor Geoffrey
07-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Animation style used does not appear to rely heavily on Western CGI or drawing style.
Anime can be about anything. Either fullblown action sequences smothered together in 22 minute episodes, or love dramas about crossdressing lolicons.

It's not a complete list, but it goes to show why Pokemon is an anime and why let's say Alfred Jodocus Kwak, which was made by a Japanese company, isn't.

Quoted for truth, especially showing that Pokémon IS an anime, no matter what anyone says.

miyoun
07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Anime = JAPANESE Animation

Nuff said.

Chinese and Korean animated shows aren't called Anime.
Like Korean Manga is called Manwa or however it's spelt.

Minorin
07-21-2009, 01:43 AM

This also shows why Avatar isn't an anime. Well, at least I don't consider it one.
Also, violence is NOT REQUIRED for an anime to be an anime.
@Ruiizu-bozu-Korean/Chinese manga is called manwa/manhua because it's a different pronunciation.....

miyoun
07-21-2009, 03:14 AM
This also shows why Avatar isn't an anime. Well, at least I don't consider it one.
Also, violence is NOT REQUIRED for an anime to be an anime.
@Ruiizu-bozu-Korean/Chinese manga is called manwa/manhua because it's a different pronunciation.....

Formats are all different too.

I own Manwa and Manga and I can nitpick about it all day.

scubasteveE
07-21-2009, 03:41 AM
What I think an anime is, that it has a full blown plot/story that continues into the next episode.

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-21-2009, 05:47 AM
What I think an anime is, that it has a full blown plot/story that continues into the next episode.
Yea, I'd advise you to go and watch Lucky Star.
Let's see if you agree with your own statement after that, :P

scubasteveE
07-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Yea, I'd advise you to go and watch Lucky Star.
Let's see if you agree with your own statement after that, :P
Well most anime, I guess I met to say xD

ReclusiveDemon
07-21-2009, 05:53 AM
It has to be MADE IN Japan and fit the typical Japanese art style of cartoons.

THAT'S ALL IT HAS TO BE. There doesn't need to be anything else.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-25-2009, 07:34 AM

I knew that it had to be of a Japanese style, but... O_o

Pika57
07-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Japanese Animation.

Easy really.

(And yes DU, there will be exceptions.)

Peace Buyer
07-31-2009, 11:29 PM
It's pretty much safe to say if it was originally from Japan(like Bleach), it's an anime. If it originated in the US(Scooby-Doo), it's a cartoon.

Of course Scooby Doo is cartoon, who would call that anime.

naturally anime (in the name ther =P) must look animated

Lord Fedora
07-31-2009, 11:34 PM
an·i·me (ān'ə-mā')
n. A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art and often adult themes.

[Japanese, short for animēshon, animation, from English animation.]

Aside from that dictionary definition, it is only considered anime if it originates in Japan. Others will go so far as to deny that it's an anime if it isn't adapted from a manga, but that's just pure bull.

Peace Buyer
07-31-2009, 11:40 PM
an·i·me (ān'ə-mā')
n. A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art and often adult themes.

[Japanese, short for animēshon, animation, from English animation.]

Aside from that dictionary definition, it is only considered anime if it originates in Japan. Others will go so far as to deny that it's an anime if it isn't adapted from a manga, but that's just pure bull.

Book worm much:biggrin:

looks liek someone has been readin the big book of education =P

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
08-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Book worm much:biggrin:

looks liek someone has been readin the big book of education =P

I thought it was just common sense...

Mew Ichigo
10-24-2009, 06:35 AM
Needs for an anime:

A hot guy.
A catchy title.
A mary-sue girl.
A cute couple.
And a whole lotta fangirls.

FireBrawl Latios
10-24-2009, 02:50 PM
The themes are in Japanese, sung by a Japanese, with animations.

Lord Celebi
10-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Epic revival.

I'll have the final word and say anime is a cartoon conceived and produced in Japan. Pokemon is an anime. Avatar isn't an anime. The content doesn't matter, the word 'anime' only describes the geographic origin of a show.

*Locked*

Lord Celebi
10-27-2009, 06:02 AM
I was wrong in locking this. I hadn't realized there was an addendum added to the revival rule that let a thread on the first two pages be revived. :oops: Sorry 'bout that.

Continue your discussion.

Shen
10-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I'll have the final word and say anime is a cartoon conceived and produced in Japan. Pokemon is an anime. Avatar isn't an anime. The content doesn't matter, the word 'anime' only describes the geographic origin of a show.

I'd honestly have to disagree with that rust. I used to believe that, honestly, but after seeing some more stuff around on TV and the internet, I honestly believe that anime doesn't exactly refer to it being only from Japan. I believe that anime is, in fact...a genre of animation.

Obviously, anime originated in Japan, so it's easy to think that, of course. But if you look at several shows that have been made in America (ie. Avatar: The Last Airbender, Teen Titans, Totally Spies...I know, that last one creeps me out too), you'll see they have been done in an incredibly similar style to that of anime, but most cartoons made state-side are not in this same style. Similarly, there are cartoons in Japan that have been noted to not be in the same style as anime either. it is for this reason I believe anime to be a genre rather than a name for animation from a certain nation. But this is just my opinion.

Harry98
01-01-2010, 07:32 PM
The main criteria for anime to be anime is if it's drawn and animated in Japan.

But animation certainly DOES NOT have to be anime in order to be good.

eg: Avatar: The Last Airbender, King of the Hill, Beavis and Butt-head, The Simpsons, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and (Early seasons) Family Guy as well as a few old nicktoons.

Hakken
01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Epic revival.

QFT.
This isn't to say Avatar or the like is in any way inferior. It's simply not from Japan, and therefore not anime. Additionally, The meaning of the term in Japan (they can use it to refer to any cartoon) is irrelevant; the same word has a different meaning in English. There are plenty of foreign words like that.

EDIT: Oops, this time it was a revival.
But by the previous poster, not me. n-n;