PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best of the "big four"?

Master of Puppets
07-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax are the big four thrash metal bands. Which do you think is the best? For me it's Metallica.

MaskedJackal
07-28-2009, 03:30 AM
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2725/2583j.jpg

[/thread] Sodom rips all other thrash to pieces.

Orthar
07-28-2009, 03:32 AM
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2725/2583j.jpg

[/thread] Sodom rips all other thrash to pieces.

http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d43/23692.jpg

A challenger appears.

[/thread][start metal fight]

The Maple Syrup Baptist
07-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Metallica is the most dynamic and catchy, Megadeth is the most technically proficient and challenging, Slayer is the most raw and consistent, and Anthrax I haven't heard too much from and don't care for at the moment.

I think Slayer is my favorite but Metallica is my most familiar, and Megadeth is growing on me.

Master of Puppets
07-28-2009, 04:31 AM
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d43/23692.jpg

A challenger appears.

[/thread][start metal fight]

Oh Yeah? http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Metallica-Master-of-Puppets-LP1203.jpg

This one pwns all...

At least Omega Mitch has a real opinion. >_>
I think that Slayer is a little too...screamy....
Megadeth to me is kinda like Metallica and Slayer put together, but they are kinda good, in fact, I'm listening to them right now.:biggrin:
And then there's Anthrax... I've never listened to them but I plan to.

@Painkiller, I've NEVER heard of that band, and now I see why "Painkiller" is your username <_<

MaskedJackal
07-28-2009, 04:45 AM
\

At least Omega Mitch has a real opinion. >_>

What? I have an opinion. I think Sodom is better than the "big four" and Agent Orange destroys Master of Puppets.

Pokemon_Ron
07-28-2009, 05:04 AM
What? I have an opinion. I think Sodom is better than the "big four" and Agent Orange destroys Master of Puppets.

believe it or not ive listened to Sodom and they have nothing that can beat Master of puppets. Master of Puppets is a amazing album :happy:

MaskedJackal
07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
believe it or not ive listened to Sodom and they have nothing that can beat Master of puppets. Master of Puppets is a amazing album :happy:

Master of Puppets is overrated. It was a good album, but nowhere near what some claim it to be.

Also, Metallica sold out and started releasing garbage while Sodom stuck to their guns.

Master of Puppets
07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Master of Puppets is overrated. It was a good album, but nowhere near what some claim it to be.

Also, Metallica sold out and started releasing garbage while Sodom stuck to their guns.

It was overrated, but it was still good. And you and Painkiller might kill me for this but I like Metallica's ST.ANGER album, I don't care if it didn't have any solos, and it didn't "alienate" me like a lot of other people say, I just went WTH? and moved on, but no everyone else just kept whining why there are no solos, and why Lars' drum sounded like a steel can, I like that noise, it sounds cool.:cool:

And the reason I made this is to see who's the best of the BIG FOUR not the unknown "Sodom" or "Warbringer".

Psychedelic Shroomish
07-28-2009, 03:22 PM
http://i32.tinypic.com/34xfgnk.jpg

[/thread] Randy Newman is the greatest thrash metal composer of all time.

Dark Lightning
07-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Slipknot's better than all of them.
But Metallica are almost as good.

CandleJack
07-28-2009, 04:31 PM

This is quite possibly the best piece of trolling I've ever seen.

10/10

Kirethidae
07-28-2009, 04:35 PM
But Metallica are almost as good.

Wow.

Just, wow.

Sodom's better than any of the "Big Four" by miles...

MaskedJackal
07-28-2009, 05:10 PM
And the reason I made this is to see who's the best of the BIG FOUR not the unknown "Sodom" or "Warbringer".

Anyone who doesn't know who Sodom is, is a poser to the 9001st degree.

I REALLY hope this is trolling. Technically I've caught the bait, but that's better than if that statement were actually serious.

Sodom's better than any of the "Big Four" by miles...

THANK YOU

Orthar
07-28-2009, 05:10 PM
@Painkiller, I've NEVER heard of that band, and now I see why "Painkiller" is your username <_<

Ah yes, since you've never heard of the band they must be bad. Oh, and I have no idea how my posting of Warbringer makes you notice my username, seeing how my username is the title of a Judas Priest song. Also, I would probably put Slayer ahead of Sodom. I love Sodom, don't get me wrong, but Slayer just put out more quality stuff in my opinion. The only place where Sodom trumps all of these bands is the fact that they never sold out. Sadly the same can't be said for any of the Big 4.

Pokemon_Ron
07-28-2009, 05:37 PM
i dont thjnk any of them bands "sold out" since they already had a large enough fan base. and lets get off the topic of sodom. we are talking about metallixa, anthrax, slayer, and megadeth

Orthar
07-28-2009, 05:48 PM
i dont thjnk any of them bands "sold out" since they already had a large enough fan base. and lets get off the topic of sodom. we are talking about metallixa, anthrax, slayer, and megadeth

You obviously don't know what selling out is.

Tombi
07-28-2009, 05:56 PM
metallixa

ur doin it rong

Metallica got me into metal with the Black Album. St. Anger was a pile of bullcrap. Master of Puppets is way overrated. I heard so much hype about it then when I bothered to listen to it it disappointed me. Justice for All and Ride the Lightning were good, Death Magnetic was okay. I like the Black Album the best merely for Sad but True and the sound of the snare drum in the intro for Of Wolf and Man.

Slayer I haven't particularly listened to. Anthrax bore me and I don't care for them. Megadeth, yeah okay. You gotta like them.

Whoever said Slipknot are better won the internet.

As long as it was a joke.

:D

ReclusiveDemon
07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Megadeth.

Not listing reasons, because I'm tired of the Big Four debate.

i dont thjnk any of them bands "sold out"
Your lack of knowledge is showing there, buddy.

james_gotex
07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Metallica. Anyone who wants to argue that... Prepared to be knee-capped :biggrin:

Orthar
07-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Metallica. Anyone who wants to argue that... Prepared to be knee-capped :biggrin:

Slayer technically surpasses them.

scubasteveE
07-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Demon Hunter :D. (None of y'all probably have never even heard of them)
Idk, I've never really been a big fan of any of them so yeah, though I have to say Metallica's Black Album was beast.

If it was my own personally opinion, I would say Opeth. But that's just me.

Gravity
07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Megadeth thanks to the Gears of War song :cool:

MaskedJackal
07-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Demon Hunter :D. (None of y'all probably have never even heard of them)
Idk, I've never really been a big fan of any of them so yeah, though I have to say Metallica's Black Album was beast.

http://i25.tinypic.com/25i5g5x.jpg

That's really all I have to say.

Soda
07-29-2009, 11:17 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3393/3610932135_5766f6deb9.jpg

I just cannot choose...

Hypocrisy is Fun
07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Sodom is an unknown band I doubt anyone likes them besides the posters here.

The greatest bands are bands that release good stuff all the time. None of the mentioned above.

If you want REAL music and not some lame noise, you'll do yourself a favor and pick up some Linkin Park or Dragonforce albums.

thx

CandleJack
07-30-2009, 08:53 PM
REAL music

Dragonforce

You're funny. C:

Tombi
07-30-2009, 09:54 PM
that release good stuff all the time

Dragonforce

Don't you mean the same stuff all the time?

ReclusiveDemon
07-30-2009, 10:04 PM
If you want REAL music and not some lame noise, you'll do yourself a favor and pick up some Linkin Park or Dragonforce albums.
HAHAHA. OH WOW. No. Try harder.

Hypocrisy is Fun
07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Don't you mean the same stuff all the time?

The depth, originality, and complexity of each Dragonforce song is often too much for the average mind to comprehend.

MaskedJackal
08-01-2009, 01:27 PM

The greatest bands are bands that release good stuff all the time. None of the mentioned above.

thx

I award you zero points. LEAVE THE HALL

Tombi
08-03-2009, 03:02 PM
The depth, originality, and complexity of each Dragonforce song is often too much for the average mind to comprehend.

Too much to comprehend why people say they're geniuses, aye. Persons with the smaller mind are easily entertain by 'sound enhancement' pedals, live performances with 75% less speed and cheesy lyrics that sound like a Power Rangers opening theme.

Don't get me wrong. I'm seeing them live myself in a few months. But as far as composing, technics and all the other stuff, Dragunfork fall pretty low on the scale. At least other bands can play their own material.

Pokemon_Ron
08-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Too much to comprehend why people say they're geniuses, aye. Persons with the smaller mind are easily entertain by 'sound enhancement' pedals, live performances with 75% less speed and cheesy lyrics that sound like a Power Rangers opening theme.

Don't get me wrong. I'm seeing them live myself in a few months. But as far as composing, technics and all the other stuff, Dragunfork fall pretty low on the scale. At least other bands can play their own material.

i agree. ive seen dragonforce live once. but when people are listening to dragonforce, they arnt listening to the lyrics. their listrning to the guitar. alot of Dragonforce's solos are recycled and changed around a little bit

Orthar
08-04-2009, 02:54 AM
DragonFail can't even play their songs live. They're a studio band. Herman Ri and Sam Badguitarist are both pretty bad.

Hypocrisy is Fun
08-04-2009, 03:13 AM

Dragonforce's lyrics are top quality. Anyone from any generation can appriciate the artistic features, quality, and originality of Dragonforce's lyrics.

An english major or intellectual should be able to aid you in your quest to fully understand the deeper meaning Dragonforce's songs put out. :happy:

DragonFail can't even play their songs live. They're a studio band. Herman Ri and Sam Badguitarist are both pretty bad.

Or maybe all those years of listening to mediocre noise has made you unable to listen correctly. The first rule of all musics is to have an open mind, and perhaps listening to "Sodom" has closed your mind and made you unable to appriciate the amazing solo's Herman and Sam have delivered.

I've been to basically all their live concerts and experienced ecstacy while headbanging to their amazing metal ballads. They perform flawlessly, I almost feel like I'm in a studio recording each time.

Pokemon_Ron
08-04-2009, 03:14 AM

pschhh, Herman Li was incredible when i saw them live

MaskedJackal
08-04-2009, 03:26 AM
headbanging to their amazing metal ballads.

Yeah you're an idiot.

Lusitania
08-04-2009, 03:59 AM
People, people. Why should we fight? Just because Shadowlink likes some cheesy lyric recycling band that sounds like the Power Rangers and everyone else in this thread likes mediocre noise making bands like Sodom[y] doesn't mean we can't get along.

Can't we just hold hands and sing Kumbaiyah?

Oh, and one last thing...

Yeah you're an idiot.

Hmm...is that hypocrisy I detect?

The Maple Syrup Baptist
08-04-2009, 04:01 AM
Dragonforce's lyrics are top quality. Anyone from any generation can appriciate the artistic features, quality, and originality of Dragonforce's lyrics.

An english major or intellectual should be able to aid you in your quest to fully understand the deeper meaning Dragonforce's songs put out. :happy:

Or maybe all those years of listening to mediocre noise has made you unable to listen correctly. The first rule of all musics is to have an open mind, and perhaps listening to "Sodom" has closed your mind and made you unable to appriciate the amazing solo's Herman and Sam have delivered.

I've been to basically all their live concerts and experienced ecstacy while headbanging to their amazing metal ballads. They perform flawlessly, I almost feel like I'm in a studio recording each time.

You must have been as drunk as the band, because live footage on Youtube confirms that the guitarists have a beer holster on their mic stands and drink while they're playing, and they constantly hit wrong notes as they attempt to perform their pro-tools crap while drunk.

This comes from a guitarist of 6+ years experience, I know what I'm talking about. They even mess up on their "betcha can't play this" video, and I'm talking the legit one, not the mockeries, and they were sober for that.

Real bands can perform their music. I can point you to a few bands of complexity and skill that even live, equal and even surpass that of DragonFart in the studio.

Hypocrisy, your name is well suited for you. You seem like a cool guy, but you're blissfully ignorant to the truth here.

I will say, that the singer of DragonForce is fantastic, and should leave and find a band with some real maturity and musicianship. The drummer is decent, not unique at all but at least he keeps the songs from devolving to incomprehensible trash live.

ReclusiveDemon
08-04-2009, 04:05 AM
You seem like a cool guy, but you're blissfully ignorant to the truth here.
He's clearly just trolling.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
08-04-2009, 04:08 AM
He's clearly just trolling.

I figured so when I looked back and saw him mention Linkin Park, but I figured I'd save Zach and Andrew and Cait the grief and just flame DragonFart for the hell of it.

Lusitania
08-04-2009, 04:09 AM
I figured so when I looked back and saw him mention Linkin Park, but I figured I'd save Zach and Andrew and Cait the grief and just flame DragonFart for the hell of it.

Trolls should be answered with dignity and cunning.

DragonFart...really?

ReclusiveDemon
08-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Should have gone with Dragonfarce.

Lusitania
08-04-2009, 04:14 AM

No, he should have gone with Dragonforce. He was doing good until he did that :S

The Maple Syrup Baptist
08-04-2009, 04:15 AM
Trolls should be answered with dignity and cunning.

DragonFart...really?

Trolls deserve to be beheaded. Don't you know, I'm super serious.

I'm too bloody tired.

No, he should have gone with Dragonforce. He was doing good until he did that :S

Both the words "dragon" and "force" betray the lobotomy-like retardation of their music.

Lusitania
08-04-2009, 04:18 AM
Trolls deserve to be beheaded. Don't you know, I'm super serious.

I'm too bloody tired.

Both the words "dragon" and "force" betray the lobotomy-like retardation of their music.

It's that mindset that makes them want to troll more ^^;

The Maple Syrup Baptist
08-04-2009, 04:19 AM
It's that mindset that makes them want to troll more ^^;

Thus the cycle continues and my boredom ceases. You don't give me enough credit.

Lusitania
08-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Thus the cycle continues and my boredom ceases. You don't give me enough credit.

Ok so...

Try to stop troll--->encourages troll--->troll trolls--->try to stop troll--->encourages troll---->troll trolls

Smart :rolleyes:

The Maple Syrup Baptist
08-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Ok so...

Try to stop troll--->encourages troll--->troll trolls--->try to stop troll--->encourages troll---->troll trolls

Smart :rolleyes:

Who ever said I was trying to stop him?

Lusitania
08-04-2009, 04:27 AM
You must have been as drunk as the band, because live footage on Youtube confirms that the guitarists have a beer holster on their mic stands and drink while they're playing, and they constantly hit wrong notes as they attempt to perform their pro-tools crap while drunk.

This comes from a guitarist of 6+ years experience, I know what I'm talking about. They even mess up on their "betcha can't play this" video, and I'm talking the legit one, not the mockeries, and they were sober for that.

Real bands can perform their music. I can point you to a few bands of complexity and skill that even live, equal and even surpass that of DragonFart in the studio.

Hypocrisy, your name is well suited for you. You seem like a cool guy, but you're blissfully ignorant to the truth here.

I will say, that the singer of DragonForce is fantastic, and should leave and find a band with some real maturity and musicianship. The drummer is decent, not unique at all but at least he keeps the songs from devolving to incomprehensible trash live.

Indeed.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
08-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Indeed.

I expected him to reply with some humorous response. He disappointed me. :sad:

MaskedJackal
08-04-2009, 05:51 PM
This is the worst thread in PE2K history. It's even worse than those atrocious "Lucario vs. mewtwo" threads.

Tombi
08-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey guys I'm seeing Dragonforce in November so I'll film the amazing lyrics 'stand up and fight now and forever more' 'we will love for always ever more' 'so far away' and 'so far away'. I will also film Sam Totman falling over Herman Li's leg, the beer, the wrong notes and the 'do you know this f*cking song?'.

Betcha can't play this. :D

Master of Puppets
08-05-2009, 01:27 AM
WOULD ALL OF YOU PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC?!:evil:

Stardy
08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I know how all Metal threads end up on here, so I just read through the first page and reply to what I got from there instead of reading through the huge arguement that followed.

I agree Sodom is waaay better than the big four, and the new Warbringer is ******* amazing.
Ain't my favorites though. Still, whatever, they are both gold.
As for the topic itself, Metallica have a string of good albums and a string of bad albums.
Megadeth is like that, except... better. I prefer Metallica, but Megadeth is better IMO.
Anthrax are good, but compared to the other three in the big four, can't live up.
So, I'll go with Slayer. Been really into them lately. And have released a lot of good ****.

Master of Puppets
08-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Sodom is in something like the big four, but in Europe they have something called the big three teutonic thrash metal bands which has Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction. They are popular bands, just not in America. :P

Game Over
08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I would have to go with Metallica, I love the black album.

MaskedJackal
08-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Sodom is in something like the big four, but in Europe they have something called the big three teutonic thrash metal bands which has Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction. They are popular bands, just not in America. :P

Yeah, I like them better. Out of the Big Four, Megadeth and the old Slayer albums are good, but I don't really care about Metallica or Anthrax.

Tombi
08-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I saw Anthrax live. Imo they were terrible.

I still say Metallica.

jeebus4life
09-15-2009, 04:16 AM
Metallica

The Maple Syrup Baptist
09-15-2009, 03:07 PM
New Megadeth album comes out today.