PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Book:6....released!

Dragon Lover
07-16-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure if this was supposed to go to Other Entertainment or here but its 3AM from where I am and Harry Potter book 6 is now on sale!

~DL~

Shroomish
07-16-2005, 01:49 AM
We still have 3 hours and 12 minutes to go here. >_< I can't wait to read it. I didn't even sleep last night 'cause I was so excited. XD

Now, in two days I'll have it read and have to wait three years for the next one. :rolleyes: Rowling really needs to get on the ball if you ask me. Her original contract was for one a year... She pretty much shot that to hell with the fourth one and then continued stalling with the filth and sixth. >_>

liquid crystal
07-16-2005, 01:56 AM
Now, in two days I'll have it read and have to wait three years for the next one. :rolleyes: Rowling really needs to get on the ball if you ask me. Her original contract was for one a year... She pretty much shot that to hell with the fourth one and then continued stalling with the filth and sixth. >_>

I was sooo close to finnishing the fifth one before this one came out >.< Oh well, I wasn't planning on buying the Half Blood Prince until it came out in Wal-mart or something.

To Shroomish: Well, have fun waiting for the seventh. I read on her website that she's not even going to start writing for a few months.

v.v

*DP*
07-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Heh, I'm going to buy it at like, stop and shop in a month or two :P

Dragon Lover
07-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Heh, I'm going to buy it at like, stop and shop in a month or two :P

You can wait that long....I've been peeing my pants since last December about this book...
I gotta pee now
~DL~

*DP*
07-16-2005, 02:12 AM
I never really cared, I'm not much of a fan. Its just a casual thing, so yeah, I can wait.

Visual
07-16-2005, 04:03 PM
I forgot to get it reserved, so I'll get one sometime soon.

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-16-2005, 04:20 PM
I think I'm going to wait a month and then get it at the library. Ya, I'm a cheapskate. :susp:

What I find hilarious, is that the book came on the shelves in Canada and France on Monday and almost every news station mentioned it.

Matthew
07-16-2005, 11:41 PM
I'm half-way through the book and I just got it today :eek: lol.

Yes... Other Entertainment this goes.... :rolleyes:

*moved

Pidgeot79
07-17-2005, 04:38 AM
My Aunt sent me my copy through Amazon. She's the best. :happy: But I haven't finished Order of Pheonix yet even though I got it a year ago. I haven't had the encouragement to do so. :sad:

TrojanPony
07-17-2005, 05:42 AM
Haven't got it yet. Was out at 9:01 AM in Australia yesterday, although I'm going to read order of the phoenix again before the new one. Never totally liked harry potter anyway :oops:

Thanatos
07-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Harry Potter is tehsex.

I'm halfway after about 4/5 hours of reading.

w00t!

Dratini
07-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Meh, the book sounds alright, but I'm not going to run to the store and buy it. I have other things I am supposed to read through first which I've been delaying enough already.

Even when I do buy the book, I'll probably take at LEAST a couple weeks to read it. :tongue:

Dog of Hellsing
07-17-2005, 07:54 PM
*Drools.* I can't wait to get it, I'll probably go to Wal*Mart or something because they got it for like 15 bucks, and I'm cheap lol. *Dances.* Two of my best friends already got it though, I feel left out. >> << Oh well, I'll get it soon enough. *Looks for OOTP to tide her over till tomorrow.*

HKim
07-17-2005, 07:58 PM
I finally finished the book and I must say that there are some very interesting... events that happen here. A lot of predictions do come true while many fail to appear.

Overall, I felt this book was a gigantic setup for the final one. It felt like the rise before the finale and I'm sure that many Harry Potter fans will now scream to read the next book after reading this one. However, the setup does not detract from the story since it finally explains many questions that we've wondered about.

Heh, I would like to say more, but for now I think I'll wait until a few more people read the story. Until then, enjoy!

c-wooper
07-17-2005, 08:14 PM
I got it yesterday :biggrin: , I'm in the middle of it now.

Visual
07-17-2005, 09:37 PM
I just got it at my friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart for 15 dollars. I laugh at the lamers who spent $30 to get it at Barnes and Noble the day it came out.

I read the 1st chapter in the car. :tongue:

Marth
07-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Yup, I'm half through it, got it yesterday in the morning. Spent the whole morning reading. That's why Harry hasn't been around though...
Marth.

MystiKal
07-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Heh my girlfriend made me go too the midnight party thing. It was pretty cool we got our picture with Hagrid and watched little kids in their costumes. It was pretty cool after all. So far this new book is my favorite.

Dragon Lover
07-18-2005, 03:31 AM
Yay! I finished reading it and the most unimaginable thing happens...*gets himself in a rage and starts making plans to kill J.K for what she did*

~DL~

Shroomish
07-18-2005, 05:05 AM
Yay! I finished reading it and the most unimaginable thing happens...*gets himself in a rage and starts making plans to kill J.K for what she did*

~DL~
Yes, I'm quite upset about that as well. We need a spoiler chat about this for all who've already finished the book... I hate being descrete.

Anyhow, I have to say that this book was below my expectations a bit. I think her writing style varied too much to my likeing. And how many times were the words "Fortnight" and "Trainers" in that damned book? lol

It was ok, but nowhere near the top of the list, IMO.

And whoever said JK hasn't started the 7th book yet - yes she has. She announced it today on Dateline.

Matthew
07-18-2005, 08:14 AM
I expected it though.... but I was hoping someone else though.... Sadness :cry:

I don't know... I think the last three books have been my fave... This is the order so far:

4-6-5-2-3-1

Dog of Hellsing
07-18-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm getting it today at Wal*Mart, yay! *Does a dance.* I can't wait...

My ranking for favorite book so far is 4-5-3-2-1. TriWizard Tourney baby! Speaking of which, the fourth movie is supposed to come out this November, I believe. *Pees herself then bursts from excitement.*

Matthew
07-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Novenmber 18 to be precise =P

Shroomish
07-19-2005, 03:58 AM
I expected it though.... but I was hoping someone else though.... Sadness :cry:

I don't know... I think the last three books have been my fave... This is the order so far:

4-6-5-2-3-1
Yes...

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING!!!

Highlight the following, duh.

I didn't expect Dumbledore to die until book seven. Never dreamed she'd do it this soon. And Snape being evil? Man, I had suspected it but not seriously. I mean, Dumbledore trusted him, and when is Dumbledore wrong?

END SPOILER

Dragon Lover
07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
SPOILER

Well actually there has been a discussion about this in other Harry P. forums and they are arguing about two theries.... Dumbledore could have never known because Snape was such a good Occlumence and he lost his touch with age and second when J.K said "Dumbledore had a pleading look in his eyes" it was pleading because he wanted Snape to kill him...
END SPOILER

I'll make a discussion thread....

~DL~

Visual
07-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I am very tempted to highlight those portions...but seeing as how I have not yet finished the book, I am attempting to resist. :dazed:

Shroomish
07-20-2005, 05:33 AM
I am very tempted to highlight those portions...but seeing as how I have not yet finished the book, I am attempting to resist. :dazed:

lol Yeah, don't do it. It'd ruin the book for ya. =P

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-20-2005, 09:04 AM
I've read it, the spoiler I mean, and it just made the book better....
I also read who would die in the 5th book, before I actually read the book and the only thing I wanted to know is How!

Shroomish
07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
I've read it, the spoiler I mean, and it just made the book better....
I also read who would die in the 5th book, before I actually read the book and the only thing I wanted to know is How!
Dude I don't see how. X_X I just knew that someone would die in book five, and that alone ruined it to some extent. I don't want to know anything about what I'm about to read. I like to be surprised along with the characters. =P

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Dude I don't see how. X_X I just knew that someone would die in book five, and that alone ruined it to some extent. I don't want to know anything about what I'm about to read. I like to be surprised along with the characters. =P

Well, let's take an example. It's someone's birthday and he's getting a present from his parents. Some may like to not know what it is, while others want hints so they can fantisize how it will look like.

I belong to the second type of people.

So, I can just read spoilers if I like and still enjoy the book as if I've never read the spoilers... Plus, I'm not that good in english, so I'll never understand it completely and to wait for the Dutch translation is way to long. They're releasing it End November.

PS: anyone want to know how Dumbledore is called in Dutch? He's called Perkamentus... it comes from Perkament=Parchement.....

Pika57
07-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Book Six bombed. there were maybe 3 plot twists and the major one was revealed at the very beginning of the book. I didn't like it and it was very annoying. And the end of the book with the whole not returning to hogwarts thing. That was total crap. He hasn't got a stinking clue as to where these du mhorocrux things are and he decides to do exactly what Dumbledore wouldn't want him to do which is running off and trying to do crud. And is it me or could have anyone gotten into the place that held the one Horocrux. they can use all the it takes an experienced wizard crap they want but i think a toddler could have gotten in. By the wa ythe whole horocrux idea stunk. Now the books are going to follow the same plot seen in most series only crammed into one book. The person goes fights gets one thing repeats until all are destroyed and then goes and kills big evil thing. JK really crapped up this book badly.

Dragon Lover
07-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Book Six bombed. there were maybe 3 plot twists and the major one was revealed at the very beginning of the book. I didn't like it and it was very annoying. And the end of the book with the whole not returning to hogwarts thing. That was total crap. He hasn't got a stinking clue as to where these du mhorocrux things are and he decides to do exactly what Dumbledore wouldn't want him to do which is running off and trying to do crud. And is it me or could have anyone gotten into the place that held the one Horocrux. they can use all the it takes an experienced wizard crap they want but i think a toddler could have gotten in. By the wa ythe whole horocrux idea stunk. Now the books are going to follow the same plot seen in most series only crammed into one book. The person goes fights gets one thing repeats until all are destroyed and then goes and kills big evil thing. JK really crapped up this book badly.

There is no spoiler warning in the title so people coming to read or reply and who don't want to read spoilers will read spoilers but anyway the Horcrux's out more plot into the book and a Toddler couldn't get a Horcrux because first of all a toddler wouldn't be able to reach up and even see the potion :rolleyes:

In my opinion this is the est book by far thoough she rushed it a bit at the end... and if Harry will not go to Hogwarts which might be possible the 7th book will be even more interesting since Harry isn't crammed in a Castle all School year :rolleyes:

Anyway that my opinion and I'm starting to doubt you have started to even read the book yet :ermm:

~DL~

Dog of Hellsing
07-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Dude, didn't you read the earlier posts asking to PLEASE put a spoiler alert in your post if you were going to SPOIL things?! :rolleyes: Geez, some people are seriously inconsiderate.

I also agree with DL to some extent. I don't doubt you read the book, I just doubt you've got the open-mindedness or the patience to understand that she's planning ahead and probably setting the stage for the F-I-N-A-L book. Of course she'd do something big like that in B6, which I STILL haven't read yet :susp:.

Shroomish
07-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Well, let's take an example. It's someone's birthday and he's getting a present from his parents. Some may like to not know what it is, while others want hints so they can fantisize how it will look like.

I belong to the second type of people.

So, I can just read spoilers if I like and still enjoy the book as if I've never read the spoilers... Plus, I'm not that good in english, so I'll never understand it completely and to wait for the Dutch translation is way to long. They're releasing it End November.

PS: anyone want to know how Dumbledore is called in Dutch? He's called Perkamentus... it comes from Perkament=Parchement.....
Heh, I know what you mean, but I obviously go in the first group. =P I was like one of the only kids who didn't try to figure out what their Christmas presents were. XD

And wow, I would've never guessed English wasn't your first language. You do fine from what I've see, even better than a lot of Americans. lol (You know, the ones that write like "hi how r u doin?"

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Heh, I know what you mean, but I obviously go in the first group. =P I was like one of the only kids who didn't try to figure out what their Christmas presents were. XD

And wow, I would've never guessed English wasn't your first language. You do fine from what I've see, even better than a lot of Americans. lol (You know, the ones that write like "hi how r u doin?"

You would to if a teacher failed you because of doing that... They teach us formal english, so we can't even try to make an informal sentece.... and i mean like this 1: "were are we gonna go 2". Plus I only write English either here or in class...

sPiKe
07-29-2005, 03:21 AM
Harry Potter is the biggest waste of cash I've ever seen since hola hoops.

Shroomish
07-30-2005, 03:37 AM
Harry Potter is the biggest waste of cash I've ever seen since hola hoops.
Oppinons are like asses. Everyone has one but nobody wants yours.

PWND

Seriously though, I don't see why people don't like the series. I think it's very imaginative and entertaining. Meh, perhaps Lord of the Rings is more your thing? Usually that's the case with non-Potter fans for some reason. X_x

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Seriously though, I don't see why people don't like the series. I think it's very imaginative and entertaining. Meh, perhaps Lord of the Rings is more your thing? Usually that's the case with non-Potter fans for some reason. X_x

Because for example literature teachers keep telling us that Harry Potter isn't world literature and LOTR is.

Shroomish
07-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Because for example literature teachers keep telling us that Harry Potter isn't world literature and LOTR is.
Meh, those teachers need to die. >:P XD

HP needs more respect from adults, IMO. My friend got into a serious argument with our english teacher about it. Teacher said it was a children's book and my friend argued it wasn't JUST for kids. X_X But yeah, adults need to read it before they deem it as "Just for Kids." I mean, we aren't talking about Trix cereal here. :tongue:

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-31-2005, 04:07 PM
My friend got into a serious argument with our english teacher about it. Teacher said it was a children's book and my friend argued it wasn't JUST for kids. X_X

My Dutch teacher, who also teaches Literature to another class, said we couldn't read it, and our German teacher, who teaches Literature to us, says we can read it.., but it'll count for half a book...

Dragon Lover
07-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Man, those teachers must be from the third highest corner of dumbness if the tell you not to read HP books. Books are books nothing changes that...

~DL~

Matthew
08-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Teachers kind of dislike the HP books, because if you notice, they are an easy read, hence why they don't like you using them for book reports or anything like that.

And it's been two weeks... if you have the book and still haven't finished it or you don't have it (In which case, you aren't that big of a fan anyway), you deserve to have the book spoiled for you... besides... I'm sure you've already heard or seen a spoiler alreayd... they are all over the place...

DaRkUmBrEoN
08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Teachers kind of dislike the HP books, because if you notice, they are an easy read, hence why they don't like you using them for book reports or anything like that.

Stupid reason though. We can use a book of 80 pages, which is hard to read, but not HP with 600+ pages....

Matthew
08-02-2005, 01:22 AM
I say it is an easy read simply because it doesn't use difficult grammar, difficult vocabulary, or it isn't a difficult storyline to follow... regardless of its page count, it isn't a difficult read at all... Hence why so many of its readers are able to get through it in a day

Loyal Arcanine
08-02-2005, 01:50 AM
Well, I got through it in less than 24 hours, but I must admit that you have to be pretty addicted to do that.

Shroomish
08-02-2005, 09:32 AM
I say it is an easy read simply because it doesn't use difficult grammar, difficult vocabulary, or it isn't a difficult storyline to follow... regardless of its page count, it isn't a difficult read at all... Hence why so many of its readers are able to get through it in a day
Yeah but it's not just for that reason. Teachers dislike it anyway for some reason, I guess because kids are actually interested in reading it, so they can't make it hard for them. -_- (J/K, but you know, they really do hate the HP books for other reasons.)

For example, my nephew was in sixth grade last year. The teacher wouldn't let his class read HP books for their book reports, YET they could read Goosebump books. O.o WTF? Goosebump books take me like 10 hours to read (I read 1/3 as fast as a regular person due to my eye problem.), and they have waaaaay simpler grammer/vocabulary than the HP books. >_>

Dog of Hellsing
08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
O_o I finally got HBP. Yay! ^^

>> I really don't care what people think about HP. I think it's cool, and that's all that matters. And if a teacher ever told me for whatever reason that I couldn't read one, I'd tell them to go screw off ('scuse the language ^^).

ChainGangSoldier932
08-04-2005, 03:18 AM
i read it already and it is REALY sad. Someone important dies :boohoo: sorry for the spoilers :naughty:

Dog of Hellsing
08-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I cried at that part. Curse Rowling for making me cry! *Sniff.* She'd better have a good reason for what she did...oh, and next time, remember to mention a spoiler alert BEFORE posting the spoiler.