Default Mount Freeze

Hopefully I'll get through five chapters/parts of this story. D:

Mt. Freeze

January 7th 2011
Entry Number: 1
Days Since departure: 4
Pokemon Caught: None
Pokemon Seen: None

The massive mound of rock and ice towered in front of me.

Now, that I’ve caught my first glimpse, I’ve decided that this should be written down. All of it. First thing you should know is that my name is Kronos, and I am an explorer. You will get to know me in due time.

Of course this has happened. I will be writing the headings as I saw them at the beginning of the entry, not at the end. I believe that offers some sort of clarification to you readers.

I stood at the edge of a massive, icy precipice, overlooking a frosty forest down in the valley. Gleaming white snow sat atop the green leaves. It has a serene natural beauty, and was seemingly peaceful. A peacefulness, which I knew to be nonexistent. On the other side of that forest, towering above me was Mt. Freeze, a lone peak.

I stuck my boots out of the white snow, and turned around. I had seen my destination, and that was all what I had some to this cliff for. You might call me crazy, wanting to go to such an unforgiving place. A place which none have come back from, a place that is rumored to have a body every step of the way. Dozens of great explorers have gone to the place. None returned. Great explorers like Drangord of Snowpoint, who was a great Ice/Dragon trainer. Gorromet who had the greatest Metagross the world had ever seen. Last month, Blaine, the Cinnabar Island gym leader came here. Of course, he hadn’t returned.

I would be the first back from the foreboding place. My lone Pokemon trudged beside me. Jolteon, the four foot long cat who’s fur stood up and the were shimmering with electrical energy. The yellow fur glistened in the sunlight, as we entered the part of the forest closest to the precipice. It was a short walk, and then down a narrow hill. Then, we’d go straight through the forest, until we got to the Mountain. We trudged through the snow.

We covered ground quickly, despite the cold. We had packed light, brining only imperishable food, a pot, a waterproof sleeping bag, a book, and a waterproof heavy jacket. Oh, and of course we had Pokeballs. Five in total.

That was the number of Pokemon that I had to bring back in order to prove that I had been here, and survived. Then, you might ask, “Why not just stay in the less harsh forest, as it doesn’t sound as deadly?”

Because I am going for the biggest prize at the peak. Legend has it that at the peak, there stands a lone Pokemon, the guardian of the peak. Its Power apparently radiated throughout the entire mountain, empowering the Pokemon that lived there. That was why the Pokemon here were so ferocious.

I grumbled, and sat down in a small icy clearing. There was a small patch of dirt in the center. Well, big enough to light a fire, at least. We gathered twigs, and after a spark from Jolteon, we had a small fire. In an hour it was warm enough boil a pot of ice. Soon after we had a meal of fresh water, some small roots, and dried meat. Not a feast, but it kept us going, until we fell asleep. I left the fire going, to let it burn itself out later. That was not the best of ideas.

January 8th 2011
Entry Number: 2
Days Since departure: 5
Pokemon Seen: None

The sun had just peeked over the frozen treetops when I had my first encounter with the vicious bandits. It jumped out of the darkness, no doubt attracted by the tiny lingering flame that gasped its last breaths in the pit. The Pokemon gave off a low growl and a bark, as it landed in the pit of ashes. I shot up, straight, rigid, and completely awake, and saw our intruder.

It was a small dog-like Pokemon maybe two feet tall at the most, with a red muzzle, and under belly. Pearly white bones stuck out of his head, and protruded out of his back. The rest of his body was jet black.

It growled, flames spurting out of its mouth in all directions. Jolteon leapt into action, jumping off of her resting area, for a fight. She slammed into the dog’s side, knocking him back into the snow.

I jumped to my feet, ready to shout a command. “Thunderbolt, Jolteon!” I yelled, as I swiped my brown hair out of my face.

The dog Pokemon jumped to its feet, and growled. Jolteon stood her ground. The spikes on her back glowed, and electrical currents shot from each hair on Jolteons back, towards the dog. The dog leapt to its left, and the electricity smashed into a pile of snow, with a tiny explosion.

The dog barked, and launched a stream of streaming hot flames out of its gaping mouth. Jolteon held her ground as the flames rushed towards here. At the last second, I yelled, “Light Screen! Follow up with a Quick Attack!”

An invisible wall materialized in front of the flames, dispersing them away from Jolteon. A cloud of smoke billowed out of the contact spot. Jolteon leapt into one side of it and al most instantly appeared on the other side, ramming into the dog. A loud crack sounded, a low pitying moan, and the dog’s left front leg gave way. It collapsed, but slowly got itself up, whimpering. Keeping the leg aloft the Pokemon scampered into the dense forest. It was out of sight in seconds.

Jolteon breathed heavily. She stood her ground, expecting another attacker to leap out at her. A dense fog had suddenly rolled in, during the battle, taking us by surprise. Visibility was limited to our tiny camp site, and that alone. We quickly gathered our supplied, doused the last ember in the fire, and trudged off into the snow.

There was no noise. I was not even sure if this was the right way to go. We didn’t see anything, but the white, white clouds. However fog here was common, so we were not, not expecting it. The two of us trudged on.

Every so often, there was a ruffle from the forest, like a small Pokemon scampering around on the forest floor, or a bird taking flight from a branch. Every time we heard something Jolteon paused, her ears perked up, listening attentively. Nothing came though. It must have just been startled by us, and scampered off.

I had taken out the book I had brought. The Pokemon that attacked us at the camp site was called Houndour, a fire type. I almost wished that I had captured it now. I flipped the page, to see what other types of Pokemon I could see. With my face buried in the book, I didn’t see where I was going, and slammed into a tree.

I fell into the soft snow, my forehead stinging. The tree screeched, furiously at me. The horrible sound filled my ears, and I groaned with pain. The tree even scared me. It must have some sort of powers to be able to make noise like that. I look up at the tree, and saw dozens of gleaming red yes looking down on me.

Jolteon hissed and spat, as the bodies attached to the eyes swooped down on dark grey wings. I leapt up to my feet. Orange claws and beaks stabbed at my face and jacket. I tried to swat them away, and cover my face, so I had the birds away from my face long enough to scream, “Jolteon, Thunder!”

A massive yellow bolt of lighting flew from the sky and smashed into Jolteon. The lightning radiated outward, electrocuting each one of the bird. They screeched, seemingly suspended in the air, as lightning coursed through their bodies. Then they took off as soon as the pain left them. All of then took off into the fog, smoking.

I leaned on the tree, panting. My book had been charred up. I could not read it at all, so I left it there. The ground was bare, as the snow had melted off completely, from the attack, and a black burn mark was imbedded upon the tree. I was miraculously unharmed by Jolteon’s Thunder attack, but the bird attack left me scratched up, and a massive slash over my left grey eye. It stung, but I ignored it.

Abandoning the remains of the book, we walked deeper into the forest. Alert, and wary, just in case more Staravia or Houndour or some other Pokemon attacked. Luckily for us, nothing did. I did, however, have a strange feeling as if something was following us, just out of sight.

In about an hour the surroundings turned from white fog to a grey night, still obscuring everything more than seven feet away from view. We settled down a patch of particularly deep snow. It was far softer than the hard ground that we had slept on last night. No fire was lit, as it was far too foggy for us to find firewood, and instead we went without water. I kept the pack of supplies in between me and Jolteon, just in case that thing that had been following us was in the shadows, waiting for a moment to strike.

January 9th 2011
Entry Number: 3
Days Since departure: 6
Pokemon Seen: Houndour (1), Staravia (12 approx.)

Whatever that had been following us never stuck during the night. We awoke to find all of our supplies exactly as we left them, where we left them. The white mask of fog had not lifted, so we still were blinded by this white haze. It was eerie. Why had it been here for the past two days? None of the books, or legends, had said anything about this. I suppose it was something new that the Pokemon who lived in Mount Freeze did to shroud the place in mysteries.

I grumbled, grabbed the jerky from my bag and gobbled it down immediately, and gave some to Jolteon. That was gone in seconds too. We were completely out of water, so our objective today was to find a stream. Harsh, swift rivers snaked through the trees, so it couldn’t be too hard to find one. Well, normally it wouldn’t be hard, if out eyesight wasn’t limited to five feet away from us.

I grumbled annoyed at how this fog was keeping simple things like finding resources a challenge. I expected the ferocious Pokemon that dwelled here to be the main difficulty, not something as simple as resources. Either way that just gave me another challenge to overcome, another puzzle that I would undoubtedly solve. With that final thought we jogged out into the fog filled forest.

The morning was uneventful. We only crossed paths with a tiny brown and tan bird with stubby little wings and a pathetically small beak. It raged at us, like the other Pokemon, but the Pidgey was dispatched in a quick flash of light from Jolteon. Its body smoked and it tumbled out of the sky and onto the ground. Its feathers were burnt off and its eyes were still open, frozen. I checked for a pulse, but there was none. The bird was dead. I grabbed it and threw it into my pack.

We saw nothing else; until we sat down to eat lunch. I had the Pidgey, and I we decided to cook it. Back in a Viridian, Pidgey is eaten like chicken. There was at least one Pidgey dish in every restaurant with a non-veg option.

I set the bird down, and almost as soon as I did a frozen wind ripped through the forest. The snow on the ground was whipped up and leaves were torn off their branches, freezing before they hit the ground. The wind was a lone wind. It was somewhat odd, and mysterious. We stood waiting for it to subside. The grey mask of fog was torn from the ground revealing our surroundings.

To my right was a small trickling stream, obviously filled with freezing cold water. A thin layer of ice sat on top of it. To the left, however, were three massive monsters staring at me.

Fangs protruded from each and every mouth, and I, Breakfast, could see saliva dripping from their mouths. The hairs on Jolteon’s back stood straight up, as she hissed at the famished attackers.

The first was a large brown bear, with fearsome long claws like steak knives, and teeth the size a human’s arm. He growled, and the small ruff around his neck rattled, and the yellow muzzle shook.

Next to him was a massive, almost dinosaur-like Pokemon. It was covered with blue scales, from the massive foot long horn on its head, all the way down to the bone crushing tail. Fangs sprouted from the reptilian jaw, as it roared hungrily.

On the bear’s other side stood a Pokemon that look like no animal that I had ever seen. The word that came to mind was “The Abominable Snowman”. Its massive white body sprouted green arms and feet, and a huge ugly face that screamed terribly. Its large yellow eyes stared at us, as if we were the tastiest thing that it had laid his great yellow eyes on.

I recognized all three of these. Ursaring, Nidoqueen, and Abomasnow were their names. I had faced many battles with them during my travels. The ones I had seen were far smaller than these. These towered above us, twice my size, while the ones I had encountered previously were maybe only a foot or two taller than me. I had no more time to fathom why these Pokemon were as big as they were, be cause Nidoqueen, the dinosaur, leapt at us, her fangs bared, ready to sink them into my, and Jolteon’s flesh.
I rolled off to the left, and Jolteon shuffled off to right. Nidoqueen smashed into the ground where we had stood, throwing up a small cloud of dusty and snow. It roared and turned, charging at me. I rolled to my left again, as the giant Nidoqueen smashed into a tree behind me. It was reduced to nothing more than a pile of twigs.

I glanced over at Jolteon, in between Abomasnow and Ursaring. Both swiped at here with their massive firsts. Ursarinds claws grazed her back, and she yelped in pain. Four long slashes appeared as she tumbled to the ground. The two Pokemon charged at her, as she lay on the ground, unmoving.

“Agility!” I screamed at Jolteon, and obviously she heard. She stood up, her body glowing a pinkish hue. Suddenly, she raced impossibly fast out of the line of fire of the two Pokemon. It looked almost as though she had Teleported. The massive Pokemon smashed into each other with a sickening thud. Ursaring’s foot long claws sunk into the snowman’s belly, and a frozen fist smashed the bear on the head. The two fell down in a crumpled heap.

As I was watching, I forgot completely about Nidoqueen, and the thing smashed into me with the force of a speeding truck. I flew back, into a tree, with every inch of my body on fire. The world seemed hazy. Maybe the fog had rolled in again? No, that wasn’t it. Fog didn’t distort the colors, it blocked them out.

I cold see that Nidoqueen was finished with me. Screeching and flailing, it battled with Jolteon. Jolteon circled around her larger opponent, lashing out whips of electricity, to no avail. They bounced of harmlessly.

Nidoqueen smashed her tail around, ripping up the snow covered ground. Jolteon nimbly dodged each and every one of the strikes. It still took a toll on her. She seemed to get a bit sluggish, and backed a bit away.

I could not tell if that was me losing consciousness, or Jolteon losing out to fatigue. Either way, I had to say something, give some sort of command, so we could continue.

“Hidden Power,” I croaked.

Jolteon leapt back. Hundreds of tiny green balls materialized out of nowhere around her body. They launched themselves at Nidoqueen, smashing into her tough hide. The monster screeched in pain, stumbling backwards. Suddenly a cracking sound was heard in the midst of the tiny explosion. Nidoqueen had stumbled onto the frozen stream.

The crack suddenly exploded, and with a massive splash, Nidoqueen plunged into the frozen stream.

I smiled, and the world went black.

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)