View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009
Default Re: The Canalave Library

Here's a quick example of what a Folk Tale should look like. I'm not the best writer, and I know that someone's going to do a better job than I did. I wrote this a while ago, but I hope you get a good idea of what to do

How Charmander Got Fire

Long ago, before humans made an appearance in the lives of Pokémon, lived the first Charmander. Charmander had no fire then,and he lived his life as a simple orange lizard who burrowed into holes in the ground. For a while he enjoyed his peaceful life, nibbling at roots and insects, but one day he began to feel empty, as if something was missing in his life.

“I got everything a Charmander could want,” he often contemplated, “but why do I feel like this? What am I missing?”

Then early one day, Charmander saw Cyndaquil and Chimchar playing on the mountainside. He watched with wonder and envy as Cyndaquil’s back lit on fire and Chimchar ‘s tail flickered with flame. The tiny lizard felt a sudden burning desire grow within him as he watched their merriment.

“That’s what I need,” Charmander grew excited as he came to a realization. “Fire! I want fire!”

But how, he wondered, could he get fire?

Charmander went to the one Pokémon who could answer his question: Xatu.
The little lizard climbed to the peak of the mountain where Xatu stared into the sun all day. Reaching the peak, he asked the strange bird his question he had held for so long:

“Why do you stare at the sun? Aren’t your eyeballs fried?”

“Pardon?” The tall bird turned around, his eyes distant and deep.

“Oh, I-I mean...,”Charmander sputtered, remembering his manners.

Xatu chuckled. “I stare into the sun because it gives me knowledge, young Charmander.”

“Oh... Can it tell you how I can get fire?” he grew hopeful as a wide smile spreading across his face

“You wish to receive the power of fire?” Xatu turned to the sunset. “Hmmm. I’ll see what I can learn...”

Charmander waited. And waited. And waited...

After what seemed ages (which might have been an hour), Xatu suddenly spread his wide wings.

“Kwwwwwwwahhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Charmander jumped awake to spin around in circles. “What? What’s going on?”

“I have seen it! The only way you can obtain fire, my friend, is to obtain a feather from the Flame Pokémon Moltres!”

“A feather? From Moltres?” Charmander repeated, a sudden horror overcoming him.

“Yes,” Xatu nodded, folding his wings back. “Eat a feather from Moltres‘s wings and you will have your own fire!”

The little lizard gulped, thanked Xatu, then and left the odd bird to his perch viewing the sunset. All through that night as well as the next day, Charmander journeyed to Moltres ‘s roost: the crown of an active volcano. It was scary, he knew, but he wanted to have his own fire so much that he’d be willing to risk his own life for it. When he finally reached that destination, though, he saw the Legendary Bird preening it’s fiery feathers and couldn’t help but be a little intimidated. Taking a deep breath, he bravely trudged up to it.

“WHO GO’S THERE?” Moltres screeched, jerking its head up at his approach.

“Ch-Ch-Charmander...er...,” Charmander stuttered, “You’re Fiery-ness-ness . . .”

“Charmander! Why have you come?” Moltres said a little more gently, though there was suspicion in his eyes.

“Well, your Flaming-ness, I couldn’t help but admire your burning glory,” he tried buttering the bird.

“Yes, go on,” the vain, self-centered Moltres looked pleased by the flattery remarks.

Charmander bit his lip, praying that this would work. “Well, its j-just that you’re so a-awesome that I-I was-s wondering...could I...perhaps...have one of your...f-feathers? Please?”

Moltres stared hard at Charmander, then threw it’s beak back in thundering laughter. Charmander was confused but didn’t want to upset Moltres, so chuckled along with it uneasily. Moltres, however, suddenly snapped shut and turned with vehemence to glare down at the lizard.

“Let me get this straight. You... want me, the high and mighty glorious phoenix, to give you one of my special feathers?” He stared at poor Charmander, as if expecting him to answer.

“Please?” Charmander squeaked, quivering in fear.

“GET OFF MY MOUNTAIN!” Moltres roared.

Charmander didn’t need to be told twice. He high-tailed it out of there faster than a Ponyta on a sunny day.

Once he gathered his wits, Charmander began to form a plan. So determined was he to get fire that he was daring enough to face Moltres again . . . if not, indirectly. The sun descended, and night took over. Moltres settled once again into its nest to rest until the sun rays roused it in the morning. Little did it know that it was being carefully watched by two little blue eyes.

Once Moltres had fallen soundly asleep, Charmander crawled out of his hiding spot and snuck out to the opening, all the while watching the bird warily. The whole time he imagined it waking up and unleashing fiery wrath upon him, but the great bird never stirred. And before he knew it, Charmander was within reach of a feather. Breifly he considered his great luck. Who knew that he would get this far? He found it so incredible that he stood there for a moment, letting his thumping heart calm down.

Then, he reached a shaking paw towards a feather . . .

Moltres warbled in his sleep.

Charmander froze, heart racing once again. But Moltres was soundly sleeping once again. Breathing a sigh of relief, he tried again, needlessly slower. His claws wrapped around one shaft, and his heart raced even faster. Ever so delicately he tugged it out.

Moltres stirred.

Charmander squeezed his eyes shut, expecting an instantaneous fiery demise, but nothing happened. Opened them again, to his greatest relief, he saw that Moltres still slept. He cheered inwardly, then crept away from Moltres‘s roost, cradling his prize in his paws. Once he cleared the volcano’s crown, he examined the feather more closely. It looked as if a flame were flickering in his palms, but somehow still retained a feather-like structure.

“I did it!” Charmander finally congratulated himself, giddy and relieved. “I got fire!”
Dancing around in circles, he admired the feather and his good fortune before raising it to his maw. The feather tasted like the hottest Figy berry imaginable. It filled Charmander with such energy that his eyes began to water. Seeking relief, he opened his mouth and sucked in all the cold night air he could. On the exhale, to his amazement, came a stream of fire. A Flamethrower! He had breathed a Flamethrower!

A horrible screech filled the air, a screech that was all too familiar to Charmander.
Moltres was awake!

The lizards legs turned to jelly as the Phoenix appeared over the lip of the volcano. Its sharp eyes easily spotted Charmander‘s new flaming tail.

“YOU!” it shrilled. “YOU STOLE ONE OF MY FEATHERS!”

Charmander found his footing again, then took off running with Moltres hot on his tail. In its terrible rage the bird torched the earth, burning anything green around it. Grasslands started on fire, and trees were reduced to ash.

When the smoke cleared, it seemed that nothing had survived Moltres ‘s wrath.
Nothing, except Charmander. He crawled out of a burrow and shook the ash and soot off of him, completely unscathed.

“WHAT!” Moltres screeched furiously. “HOW?!”

“I’ll tell you how,” Charmander stepped forward boldly. The energy from the feather was still burning bright within him, making him feel as invincible as a rock. “I’m a fire-type now! That’s how!”

“You stole my feather,” Moltres put the pieces together, “then you ATE it!!!”

“Yep,” Charmander smiled sheepishly.

Moltres screeched louder than ever. “You will pay for you insolence, lizard! I may not be able to harm you now, but I can still make you suffer! You can have your fire, you little brat, but if that flame on the tip of your tail ever, ever goes out... your life will end!” With that, Moltres screeched for the last time and stormed off, leaving Charmander to his own fate.

Every day since, Charmander and his decedents have been most careful, through rain or shine, wind or snow, to make sure their flame never flickered out, ever wary of Moltres‘s curse.

Last edited by Charmander009; 08-31-2009 at 07:34 PM.