View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Sequentio Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sequentio
Default Re: Mirror, Mirror

Mirror, Mirror; Chapter Two.
Graded

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Author's Note; This is number six and a sequel to Mirror, Mirror. I thought this would be an interesting follow up with the beloved Smoochum getting a surprise and our old pals Azul and Meringue make a guest appearance. Everything in italics that lack bolding is Pokemon speech. Oh! And if you haven't read the first chapter - do so. It's important. x3

Warning; This chapter is a lot darker and more menacing. Blood, stabbing and possible death. Voila!

"To be enclosed in darkness... That is the life of a Zubat."

He lived in an endless void for all of his life. He knew not what sight was, nor understood what sort of significance it held. He only assumed that like himself and the other Zubat, they all lived in a black hole - nestled amongst the dew ridden warmth of ceiling rock. It was where he was, in a flock of his own kind.

"Bat!" A voice called from the other end of the cluster. It was soon returned with a similar projection.

He was tired of the continual echoes from screeching family. Every time someone moved, the large, fan-like ears he possessed would pick up the sonic waves and remain in his ear canals for several minutes. Such calls would momentarily deafen him, causing the poor Zubat to cry in pain. The yelp would echo and bounce off the surrounding cave walls and affect the other family members. It was a continual cycle of screeching and painful blows to the ears. He had to get away.

Wisps of feet that had previously hung on to a deformed stone let go from the current position. Their owner lifted off with a quick flapping of scaly wings in search of a silent solace.

Where am I? It's so cold...

Gentle green eyes opened to observe their new surroundings. There was noting but darkness, accompanied by an icy chill. The small Nidoran shuddered, trying to pull himself up into a standing position. Aching legs crumbled beneath him, disobeying the master command. Pearls of water began to collect at his desperate eyes. He could not move. He was in pain. He was going to die. Nidoran let the tears flow freely.

Zubat called out in front of him with silent bursts of air. When nothing was returned to him, he continued forthwith through the endless void. He paused momentarily to let out another quick echolocation. This time, it returned with a brisk puff of air to his clammy skin. There was something ahead. Zubat twitched anxiously. All the pent up anger from his noisy clan would soon be unleashed. There was going to be a battle.

A small cough rattled the injured Nidoran. It caused a hiccup of blood to pour on the smooth ice. Nidoran closed his eyes and laid his head on the ground.

Fight me!

Nidoran blinked once and looked around. The darkness was enveloping him. He saw no one.

Fight me! Zubat was searching around for the huddled mass. He knew something was there.

I can't see you... Nidoran cried.

...See? What is see? Zubat ventured. He had never heard this word before.

See. To see you with my eyes.

The bat was utterly confused. He had never heard of eyes. Sweeping down to the cave floor, Zubat halted. He dropped all intention for battle and pushed his inquiry forward. This time, Nidoran could see who had called him to battle.

You are a Zubat! Nidoran exclaimed. He remembered now. He remembered how he had ended up in the horrible cave with serious injuries. He was out of his den, searching for berries when an out of control Zubat had flown into him. It knocked him several yards across the outside meadow. Unfortunately, Nidoran's roll resulted in hitting a Donphan. The Donphan was outraged and began a full-on attack. Nidoran ran into the cave to escape the brutal assault... but it was too late. Donphan had managed to get in a few good hits before he lost sight of the smaller Pokemon. Nidoran must have blacked out, only to awaken to a new, feisty Zubat.

Yes. I am a Zubat. He smiled.

All Zubat are blind. You don't see anything, do you? Nidoran asked, remembering the flight pattern of his first batty encounter.

I still don't know what 'see' is! Zubat was becoming frustrated.

Meringue brushed locks of gold away from her childish face as she helped Azul off the ground. "That was a good battle, you know."

Azul smiled and nodded. He was very proud of himself to have returned from battle victorious.

"It was good practice for Clair, was it not?" Both she and her partner laughed. To fight Clair and receive her eighth badge was the reason they had traveled so far from their home in Cherrygrove. Icy Path was the last stretch of the journey and a battle with Smoochum wasn't going to hinder their goal.

Meringue pulled her garnet colored bag from the ground and rummaged through it for a quick heal. Her hand returned with a large violet spray bottle. Her index finger twitched, resulting in a blast of soothing liquid hitting Azumarill. She counted to five and placed the bottle back into the bag. Instantly, Azul was looking better. "Shall we continue?"

The water mouse nodded and once more tugged at the hem of Meringue's coat. He was ready to go.

Meringue flashed pearly white teeth at her partner and motioned with her hand for him to lead.

Azul hadn't taken a step before his large, rabbit like ears twitched. He was picking something up near the exit. His small round feet began to race as he scurried towards the sound. "Azu! Azu!"

Meringue gasped at her fleeting Pokemon and quickly ran after him.

I still don't know what 'see' is! Zubat was becoming frustrated. His pointed white teeth showed in anger.

You hear things, right? Nidoran was starting to pant. He was tired… so, so tired.

Yes. I hear things. Zubat responded.

But do you know what shape those things are? How they feel? If they have fur, big mouths, paws, feet, hand, wings?

I... He was at a loss for words. He didn't understand all that he was missing. Sight is that important?

I thi- Nidoran didn't finish his thought. Both he and Zubat turned in the direction of oncoming noise.

Meringue! Meringue! I see something! Hurry up! Azul huffed as he ran towards the wild duo. Sadly, Meringue was only human All she heard was, "Azumarill! Azu! Marill! Marill!"

What? Azul came to a roaring stop. There was just enough light leaking from the cave's exit to illuminate the area. Finally, the Azumarill could see the situation before him.

Meringue's pointed shoes clapped against the icy floor as she tried to catch up with her fleeting Pokemon. She gasped in horror as she saw the poison-pin Pokemon. He was still covered in scrapes and bruises... but this time it was accompanied by a constant blood drip from his muzzle. She had to help the dying creature. Meringue reached into her backpack to pull out a Pokeball. As she held back her hand to throw it, a piercing scream came from Zubat.

No! He wasn't going to let his one source for 'see' to be taken away when he was only beginning to grasp the concept. His wings fluttered as he attempted to guard the ailing Nidoran.

Azul saw the protective maneuver and leapt into battle mode. As his ears flattened to his head, he readied himself into a defensive stance.

"No, Azul! You should reserve your strength for the battle with Clair. I'll use our new Smoochum, okay?"

Azul was upset at not being able to prove himself, but he took the order and resumed position at Meringue's side. She fiddled around for Smoochum's Pokeball. She quickly tossed it on the ground. With a blinding flash of crimson, a bamboozled Smoochum appeared.

She had been sucked into the red and white ball, only to find herself in some sort of grey void.

What's going on? Where am I? Help me! Get me out! I don't want to be in here! She flailed and thrashed about for several seconds before giving up completely. It seemed she was trapped and the void would be her home. Her small lips puckered to get a taste of the void. Nothing. This left Smoochum confused. She usually determines if something is okay by taste. If there is no taste, how can she choose whether to accept her fate or leave it alone?

She sighed gently and crossed her small pink arms. What do I do now? There is nothing to eat. Nothing to look at... Smoochum pondered at these statements. For one, she did not feel very hungry. In fact, she felt nothing at all!

Perhaps this is a magic place? Although Smoochum didn't quite understand the concept of a Pokeball, she was beginning to enjoy it. Not only was her hunger kept in tow but she did not hurt. Most importantly, she did not have to be constantly reminded about how hideous she was.

Just as she was about to rest, another light enveloped her being. It closed around Smoochum with a demanding force and pulled her away from her precious void.

Last edited by Sequentio; 12-03-2009 at 09:28 PM.