View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Dragoon952 Offline

Default Re: [PVS] A Possible Alternative to Smogon Tiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadow Lord View Post
i like the idea but i dont understand why some pokemon have such a low point total. for that reason i think it may need more work
It depends. I tried to give Max an example using Fighting monotypes. Generally, they aren't very versatile and you know exactly what you are getting when you come up against one. They don't usually score points in the special attack department, defensively they aren't the greatest, and they generally lack supporting moves, so you are deriving value based upon their physical attacking value. A different pokemon might have a higher value because they have a more diverse movepool with stats that can back them up, access to support moves, acces to healing moves, access to status changers, etc. Like I said, it is an attempt to cover all of the bases. Kind of a daunting task, though ;)

That's why playtesting is needed to see where the cracks are and what needs changed.

Anyway, even though it was hard for me to write them out from my head, the equations can be found as one of the tabs i nthe spreadsheet. I wanted to make an equation that would cover all pokemon and stay away from special exceptions as much as possible. I wanted to judge Pokemon by data rather than subjectivity. Like I said before, it could be that my equations are completely off base and aren't accurate. Playtesting should buff that out.

Last edited by Dragoon952; 05-13-2010 at 04:14 PM.