View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X
Default Re: Sprite Guides and Tutorials II Project - [Post to help!]

Name: Sarah. (my username / alias is "Speed-X," obviously.)
Experience of making pixel art: At LEAST 5 years.
Favorite sprite styles: I mainly just do...custom stuff. To be honest, I don't like wasting my time with childish editing types, though there are a few exceptions for when I have nothing better to do. Otherwise, I'm a bit more serious about a lot of my work and artwork in general.
How much do you think you'll contribute to this project?: We'll just have to see.
Any last words?: Nein.

We'll see what I can come up with.

* What's this tutorial all about?: Basic recoloring.
* What Program is this for: Any image editing program, but preferably a simple one, such as MS Paint.
* Difficulty level?: It averages out to Amateur. Some references to the world of pixel art and spriting for video games that is stated in such an odd way that a beginner may not quite understand.
* Video Recording?:
* How many pages to this tutorial?: Erm...? One...?
* Have any tips?: Some tips are provided in the tutorial. They may take a few times of being read in order to fully understand, though, due to the fact that I tend to make sentences long and a bit complex...ones that just keep rambling.

Without further ado...:
Quote:
Recoloring
Recoloring is a very basic form of digital art--mostly speaking, pixel art; since, after all, with most advanced digital image-editing programs, recoloring an image can be done with a simple drag of the mouse. Nonetheless, it is a close-to-useless technique, but it is necessary to get a tidbit of a feel of how pixel art works; after all, if you're to be spriting for a game of some sort, you need to be able to give the sprites necessary alternate palettes for different effects (you'll have gotten past the recoloring step by then in the first place, but you get the main picture I'm trying to show you, here.)

Without further ado, let's start the tutorial. We'll use Jaroda's Pokemon Black and White sprite for this tutorial--its general palette consists of colors closely related to each other (greens and a bit of yellow). Why is this so important? If spriting for a video game company and the like, your palette choice will be limited to a select amount of colors. Therefore, you will need to be able to select the colors rather carefully to replace where another color could/would be. Anyway, not only does Jaroda's sprite have closely related colors, but those colors don't tend to be overused very often in this way. If you do run into an instance when one or two colors are used for more functions than their original intention, like I stated above, for just casual recoloring you could just exclude a certain part of that color depending on the area and whatnot. It all sounds confusing now, but don't worry about it too much. It will all go hand-in-hand in the end, eventually.

First, what you want to do is make sure you copy down the pixel art's colors in a color "ramp", like so. It helps in the end, and quite a bit. Although, you'll still need to see how the color originally looked in the pixel art, since, after all, in the general art field that involves color, when said color is placed in a certain area or other color, it can appear a bit different than how it would look if placed in a different color "box."
Ah. Perfect example--see how Jaroda's green color used on the vines/leaves on its body are also used for parts of the outline on Jaroda's main, light green body color? Exactly what I was referring to in the above paragraph. Same with the second dark green color being used on Jaroda's main body color. And, just as a reminder, only 14 colors have been used in the final version (this version) of Jaroda's sprite.

Pick your replacement colors. May want to pick them wisely, but you really shouldn't worry too highly about this if you're just a beginner.

In this case, we'll just start out with the main body color. Obviously, you must fill in the appropriate color with the corresponding replacement color, like so.

Keep going down the ramp with the color you had planned out. Remember that, if a shade of a color doesn't look quite how you planned it, you are free to edit the palette as you go along--of course.

Quite simple, despite all the explanation. Hope this helped a little; have fun.
Spaß machst.

Last edited by Speed-X; 10-02-2010 at 10:28 PM.