View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Default Re: Heart of a Lugia [PG - PG 13 for violence]

That is Posu (Male on the left, female on the right) and this is Spiledon. (THERE I MOVED THEM XANTHE)

~~~~~~

Chapter One: Official Trainers

Uninstall, uninstall, kono hoshi no musuu no chiri no…

I blinked my bleary eyes awake as my Pokégear rang, playing the chorus of Bokurano to anyone nearby whether they wanted to hear the song or not. Briefly I wondered whether or not to answer it, then picked it up, pressing the green button and holding the thing up to my ear – no video chat today.

“Hey, Blake,” said I. “What’s up?”

“The ceiling,” Blake bubbled, voice dripping with excitement. The Pokégear beeped at me, and when I looked at the darkened screen the words Switch to video chat? blinked at me in blue letters.

I sighed, but acquiesced, pushing the little button with the camera on it. Instantly Blake’s spiky-golden-haired, aviator-goggled, and most unquestionably eager face filled the screen.

“Hi, Chris!” he said, smiling widely. His room, a bright orange color, looked as perky as he did – though that fact was kind of upset by his black skull-and-crossbones T-shirt.

“Blake, what are you doing calling at this unholy hour of the morning?” I demanded.

Blake blinked. “It’s only, like, seven thirty.”

And?” I met his gaze with a raised eyebrow. “You know me not to be a morning person.”

“Right,” Blake looked suitably embarrassed. “Sorry.”

I propped my Pokégear against the blankets, yawning a little. “S’all right,” I said with my mouth gaping. “Why’d you call?”

Blake shrugged. “Dunno. I was bored, I guess.”

You guess? You guess you’re bored. Hm.”

Blake smiled a little, taking the joke with practiced ease – joke-taking is a good skill to build up when around yours truly. “I was wondering if you wanted to meet up at the Thicket, to hang out.”

“At seven thirty? A.M?” I still couldn’t believe it.

Blake shrugged, hands in his pockets. “It’s seven forty-two now,” he said rather meekly.
I rolled my eyes. “All right, fine,” I said, rather exaggeratedly. “I’ll come. Just give me a minute to get dressed.”

As soon as I was out of my PJs and into my cargo shorts-black-and-white-Tee combo, I headed off, Pokétch situated nicely on my wrist and Pokégear in my pocket. I pushed the speed dial 4 without even looking and soon heard Uninstall playing again – 4 is my speed dial number for myself. That stupid song was, I swear, the best song ever made. It seemed eerie, kind of haunting, and yet with an absolute melodic and technical beauty that made it a masterpiece. And the lyrics, when translated, made out a piece that seemed oddly to apply to me, though not yet, somehow…

I’m a strange one, ain’t I?

Anywho, I walked through the woods, parting a few branches here and there so’s I could get to the meeting-place. The woods near Prishine, my hometown, are a good place, with evenly spaced trees and green underbrush. Me and Blake met their often, to discuss the most important issues 13-year-olds in the Eos region faced, namely the radio, parents, and Pokémon.

I followed our little path, a thin trail of tamped-down earth that me and Blake had been making since we were little kids. The Thicket, a little clearing with a fallen tree in it that had landed at a slant that made a perfect place for sitting, had been discovered by me when I was three; I’d been following a Posu.

At any rate, I soon arrived at the Thicket. Blake was waiting for me, and the gentleman had even saved me the fallen tree to sit on – he was seated on the stump.

I swung myself up onto the ancient trunk. “All right, Blake, what’s this about?”

Blake grinned. “Guess.”

“No,” I replied. “You drag me here before eight o clock in the morning, you tell me why. Simple as that.”

Blake huffed. “I didn’t ‘drag’ you anywhere. Please guess?”

“Okay,” I sighed. “Hmm… your mom ran off with the circus?”

“Try again.”

“You discovered a new kind of bean.”

“What? No, keep guessing.”

“Hmm… oh, you grew a third arm!”

“No,” Blake’s nose wrinkled. “You’d notice that right off the bat, anyway.”

“True,” I rolled my eyes. “Just tell me, please. I’ll be your best friend!”

“Don’t threaten me,” Blake sneered. I stuck my tongue out, and he stuck his out straight back – how mature we Prishine kids are. “But all right. You know how my dad’s a Gym Trainer?”

“Yeah.” I raised an eyebrow. He doesn’t let me forget… “Why?”

“Well,” said Blake, scrabbling through his pockets, “he sent me… this!” he whipped out a piece of paper that suspiciously resembled a Pokémart receipt. “And… this!” he pulled out a minimized Pokéball with his other hand.

I raised an eyebrow. “Um. And?” I pointed at the Pokéball. “You do know that there has to be a Pokémon in those things for them to work. Right?”

“Yep,” Blake was bubbling with excitement. “And guess what? There is.”

“In there?” I wanted clarification.

“In here!”

“In that Pokéball?”

“In this Pokéball!”

“The one I’m pointing at, right now?”

“Yes, the one you’re – oh, for Arceus’ sake, Chris, aren’t you going to ask what’s in this Pokéball you’re pointing at, right now?”

“I have a better idea,” I told him, unwilling to reveal that I was dying to know what was in that Pokéball I had pointed at, right then. “I’ll guess. I guess… Magikarp.”
“So close,” Blake snickered, “but no. It’s a Ponyta. Want to see it?”

“Yeah!” I said. “I kinda do!”

“All right,” Blake said. He picked up the Pokéball and tossed it into the air. The red-and-white sphere hit the grass with a gentle thud, then opened. Red light fizzed out of it, then turned into an arcing beam that changed rapidly into a solid, living form.

The fade of the red light left me gaping. The Ponyta was one of the most beautiful things I’d ever seen. Its coat was short, pale beige in color. Its hooves looked like polished stones, it eyes were like pools of brown paint. And its mane and tail… words did the Pokémon no justice, but it just stood there simply, seeming unaware of its own majesty.

“Wow.” Said I.

“Yeah, wow,” Blake smiled. “Hey, Ponyta!” the fire-type just gave him a searing glance before nibbling delicately on some grass.

“Eheheh,” Blake said. “I guess I just don’t have her respect yet.”

“How do you know she’s a she?” I asked.

“My dad told me,” Blake explained. “He says that there’s some sort of difference in the size of their flames. Or something.”

“Wow, you really know what you’re talking about,” I chuckled with my eyes still on the Ponyta.

“Hey!” Blake said. “I’m not even a real Trainer yet, so don’t be rude!”

“Yet?” I asked.

“Oh, yeah!” Blake said. “My dad also sent me a voucher for a Trainer’s start-up kit: Trainer Card, Pokéball and Potions, Pokédex… the works.”

“You mean… you’re going on a Pokémon journey?” my heart dropped into my flip-flops.

“Yep!” said Blake, smiling wide, “and it’s going to be awesome because – aw, dang!”

I jumped at Blake’s sudden exclamation, which made even Ponyta look up from her grazing.

“What?” I asked. “What’s the matter?”

“N-nothing!” Blake suddenly looked defensive. “Listen, I-I have to go! I’ll catch you later, okay?”

“What?” I asked, but Blake had already returned the Ponyta and was dashing away like there was no tomorrow.

When I got home, my mom was in the kitchen flipping pancakes, cooked with blueberries – the way I like them. She smiled at me as I walked in the door.

“Hi, hon,” she said, pushing her long brown hair back. “You left?”

“I just went to the Thicket with Blake,” I explained, my stomach going nuts as my nose took in breakfast fumes. “He wanted to show me something.” Depression returned as I remembered that my only friend in Prishine was going to be leaving soon on a Pokémon journey while I stayed in this boring ol’ town.

“What was that?” asked my mom, expertly slapping the flapjacks’ doughy sides down on the griddle.

“He wanted to show me his new Ponyta. His dad sent him the Pokémon and a voucher for a start-up kit. He’s leaving.” I refused to let my voice choke.

My mom must’ve noticed the sad on my face, because her eyes – the color of storm clouds, just like mine – gleamed with sympathy. “Oh, dear,” she sighed, but she seemed… irked, somehow. “Here. Why don’t you take charge of breakfast, and I’ll wake your father. Then we can talk.”

Much as I didn’t want my parents giving me a pity-induced lecture about friends leaving, I said, “Okay, Mom,” and took the flipper.

She smiled. “I’ll be right back.” She gave me a little motherly kiss on the cheek – thanks, Mom, but I’m fourteen – and trooped on up the stairs. I watched the pancakes intently, hopeful that this bombshell at least meant my parents wouldn’t make me do my work for home school.

My mom returned with my dad after a few minutes, during which I’d already set the table with napkins, forks, knives, plates, and maple syrup. The platter of pancakes rested in the middle.

My dad smiled at me. “Morning, sweetie,” he said, ruffling the honey-colored hair that I’d gotten from him.

“Lay off,” I protested without any real anger behind my words. “You guys are smothering me!”

My dad sat down. “Sorry,” he said, “can’t help it what with you –.” My mom shot him a lightning-fast glance that I almost missed. “growing up,” he finished awkwardly.

“Um, okay,” I slid down into my chair, grabbing a couple pancakes with a pair of tongs.

My mom sat as well. “Well, since you’re so eager,” she told my dad, still smiling, “you can tell her now, I guess – though it was going to be a surprise.”

“Tell me what?” I asked. Call it a stupid question if you will, but I’ll ignore you. I was positively dying to know – a recurring theme for that day, apparently.

“Well,” said my dad, “your mom and I have been talking, and we decided that you’re mature enough to go on your own Pokémon journey with Blake, like you’ve always wanted to.”

My jaw dropped. “What.”

My dad proceeded to continue grinning. “Yep. I’m afraid I can’t keep the secret any longer; we were going to surprise you when Blake left. We had this all planned with his father, you see.”

A few thousand emotions started screaming in my head, and I had a bizarre vision of a zillion lawyers running around waving papers at each other and yelling at the top of their lungs. “Are you… serious?” I choked after a few seconds.

“Of course we are!” my mom hugged me. We’ve got your Pokéball and dex voucher – the whole Trainer starting kit. We weren’t able to find any starters from Professor Alder, I’m afraid, but I’m sure you, Blake, and his Ponyta will manage to catch something for you.”
She pulled a sheet of paper, identical to the one Blake had had, and I took the voucher reverently, knowing that this was my ticket to action, adventure, and freedom.

“When… when should we… leave?” I breathed.

“That’s between you and Blake,” my dad said thoughtfully. He had decided, apparently, that food had now reached ‘tactful’ status and took a couple pancakes, cutting them slowly. “But I’d suggest within a week. I know I was excited to go on my journey.”

I remembered the story of my dad’s journey well; he’d set off with a Spiledon, beaten the first few Eos gyms, and then decided it wasn’t worth leaving home for the trouble and returned, releasing all his Pokémon.

I nodded, excitement replacing my shock in a massive wave. “Awesome. Thanks, Mom, Dad… I love you guys!

Continued next post...

Thanks, Speed and Dino and also Speed! :D

Last edited by Velocity; 12-17-2010 at 01:12 AM.