View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Iconoclast Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default Re: Starting with all 3 starters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Flaaffy View Post
Meh, 'real' competitive battling is overrated to me. It's just so..set. There is seems to be only one 'right' way to raise each pokemon, certain pokemon/natures you should never use etc.
I'd much rather have the more random fun of pokemon raised the everyday in game way, where many pokemon have a chance of winning in the most unusual ways with sometimes odd movesets...

I'd say get all the starters if you want them, train them as you like, and don't feel as if you *have* to battle a certain way :)
No, you're looking at it the wrong way. Competitive Pokemon is no different than other competitive games. For instance, think of each character in Street Fighter as a Pokemon. They all have different styles, but you have to know your matchups against an opponent. You also have to know what moves to use in which situations. Same thing with Pokemon. What movesets, abilities, and items you use changes with each generation, since there's one hundred more of the critters to analyze and fight. And some Pokemon are just suited for certain roles. You don't see Blissey, one of the best special walls in the game, going offensive like a sweeper, do you?

"Random fun" doesn't win battles in the end. It's about strategy and skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Because what I was doing was not true competitive battling.

And wrong again. You would find that Typhlosion is almost unbeatable when used right.

- Long live Negima!
There are no unbeatable Pokemon. EVERY Pokemon has their weakness. Typhlosion simply doesn't have anything extraordinary going for him to qualify as a top player on an OU team. That's the thing with Pokemon, too- they have different metagames for their tiers. If other games did that, the world would be a better place.

Last edited by Iconoclast; 03-04-2011 at 09:01 PM.