View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Tips that I enjoy the most.

What is a great writer? What and who classifies greatness? And how do you become one? Well, there are three major things you must keep in mind when writing. Grammar. Grammar is needed to make the story understandable. If you are going to write a fan fiction in English, you had very well know, at least, the basics of English grammar. I understand it is the most difficult thing on the planet for a person to understand grammar in the English language, but you cannot expect people to understand what you are saying when you use Google Translate to write your stories in English.

The next point is story. Make sure the story has at least something new. You cannot release a fan fiction that is the exact same story as the original. That would just be insane. Secondly, try to make cross-overs coherent and believable. I was talking with Operative a few days ago, and I learned that some guy wrote a fan fiction that was a crossover between Pokemon and Assassin's Creed. First of all, that is preposterous to take two things that have absolutely no similarity and cross them over. Assassin's Creed isn't even done in anime style. If you are going to do such a wild crossover, at least do it believably. This person did not. Encio meets Ash in a Pokemon Center. Let me tell you, Encio better have been described as an extremely old f*ck, because he would be over the age of 500 by the time Pokemon's time frame rolls around. I understand that fan fictions are imaginative. However, if you are releasing it for other people to read, make sure they at least understand the inane crossover.

The last thing you need is empathy. To be able to feel your fans. When you write your fan fiction's latest chapter, read it over as a fan. Edit it accordingly. Also, take pride in your work. Do not be too humble, you have to know when to take control. Just. Don't go overboard. Remember, when one becomes a mainstream writer, it is the fans that carried one there. They can just as easily drop you as they picked you up. That is one thing all artists need to take in mind. They need to love their fans, and love their critiques. Now, there is a difference between constructive criticism and trolling. Constructive criticism, or CC for short, should point out the good things as well as the bad things. Trolling, which I have seen plenty of, is simple insults. But, that is something all artists have to deal with. Learn to overcome these people to become the best writer you can be.

Grammar

-Grammar is definitely one of the most important parts of the story. To be heard, one has to be understood. Make sure that grammar is proper. This can be done using any Microsoft Word Processor. Remember, however, that writing stories is different than writing. Say. A thesis.

Emotion is key to any story, and can be shown in different ways. This has a lot to do with grammar. Grammar does not have the same effect in dialogue that it has in the narrative. For example, the following.

Quote:
"I-I-I love y-y-you too."
The above sends the message of fear. The dashes indicate rapid stuttering, something someone normally does when nervous or frightened. However, if one wants to show a more romantic, sad, or overall awkward feeling, one should do the following.

Quote:
"I. I. I love you, too."
The periods indicate longer pauses. This means that there is more emotion in it, and the character has to muster the courage to respond. One must have the dialogue fit the situation or intended feeling.

Be sure to use semicolons when appropriate. This is best done by using Microsoft Word Processors. Instead, you might have to refer to a grammar note online, and that can be tedious to have to keep flipping to that when you write.

Also, be sure to keep expressions consistent. As we have learned above, stuttering with said dash "-" indicates fear in this case. You wouldn't want to do the following.

Quote:
"I-I-I love y-y-you too," he said to his girlfriend.
That does not seem right, because had he said it simply, there would have been no dashes to indicate fear. You would say something along the lines of:

Quote:
"I-I-I love y-y-you too," he stuttered to his girlfriend.
Would be more appropriate.

-Alright. Whoever does not space out their paragraphs need to just stop writing, or learn fast to space them out. I cannot tell you how many times I have hurt my eyes trying to read a newbies fan fic. It has come to the point where if is not neat and clean, I do not even attempt to read it. As I said, you need to take pride in your work. Do not pump it out to get more views. Heck, it took me two months to release PART 1 of a chapter. Take your time in writing things.

I too made the mistake of not taking my time and writing sloppily. You will not get the reaction you want from the populace. I will use a small tidbit of my own fan fiction for the following example. This is what I am talking about.

This does not work:

Quote:
>Seven minutes before the first bell even rang for English class, the entire class was talking about the new boy that was allowed to stay with them. Ayaka, the class representative, was rather offended, "How could you all talk about some boy, when Negi is still relatively new?"
>Asuna, of course, had a comment to add to that and an argument and escalating rage finally boiled over... for the morning. So as Asuna was yelling at Ayaka, and the rest of the girls were gossiping, the bell rang. It took a second for everyone to realize that it had happened, so they sat there, stopping whatever they were doing, and for just a second there was complete silence.
>Then, footsteps echoed throughout the near empty halls. All the girls let out excited sighs and gasps and darted like lightning to their seats. The foot steps enclosed on their position like enemy forces in a war. And like strategists, all the girls grew more and more excited and nervous. The steps echoed even louder until they stopped right at the door. The door was flung open, "Ahahaha! That was a good one, Seth! You actually got me to laugh pretty hard!"
This does not work:

Quote:
Seven minutes before the first bell even rang for English class, the entire class was talking about the new boy that was allowed to stay with them. Ayaka, the class representative, was rather offended, "How could you all talk about some boy, when Negi is still relatively new?"
Asuna, of course, had a comment to add to that and an argument and escalating rage finally boiled over... for the morning. So as Asuna was yelling at Ayaka, and the rest of the girls were gossiping, the bell rang. It took a second for everyone to realize that it had happened, so they sat there, stopping whatever they were doing, and for just a second there was complete silence.
Then, footsteps echoed throughout the near empty halls. All the girls let out excited sighs and gasps and darted like lightning to their seats. The foot steps enclosed on their position like enemy forces in a war. And like strategists, all the girls grew more and more excited and nervous. The steps echoed even louder until they stopped right at the door. The door was flung open, "Ahahaha! That was a good one, Seth! You actually got me to laugh pretty hard!"
And this. This you should be severely punished for:

Quote:
Seven minutes before the first bell even rang for English class, the entire class was talking about the new boy that was allowed to stay with them. Ayaka, the class representative, was rather offended, "How could you all talk about some boy, when Negi is still relatively new?" Asuna, of course, had a comment to add to that and an argument and escalating rage finally boiled over... for the morning. So as Asuna was yelling at Ayaka, and the rest of the girls were gossiping, the bell rang. It took a second for everyone to realize that it had happened, so they sat there, stopping whatever they were doing, and for just a second there was complete silence. Then, footsteps echoed throughout the near empty halls. All the girls let out excited sighs and gasps and darted like lightning to their seats. The foot steps enclosed on their position like enemy forces in a war. And like strategists, all the girls grew more and more excited and nervous. The steps echoed even louder until they stopped right at the door. The door was flung open, "Ahahaha! That was a good one, Seth! You actually got me to laugh pretty hard!"
What ever you do, do not try to write your chapter on a f*cking mobile phone. It does not work like that, okay? And now that I have butchered my own fan fiction, and my own primary language for the sake of teaching you how not to write properly, I expect fan fictions to be tidier, capish?

-Know the differences between First Person, Second Person, and Third Person writing.

First Person:

Quote:
I looked at the insanely huge pineapple.
^The above is common, but not used much^

Second Person:

Quote:
You looked at the insanely huge pineapple.
^Note that second person is rarely ever used because the "You" is referring to the reader^

Third Person:

Quote:
She looked at the insanely huge pineapple.
^The above is used most often^

Story

This is the most difficult part of writing a fan fiction. Story. Of course, one must use creativity and imagination when writing, but there is a fine line when it comes to using other people's concepts to create your own story.

Fan fictions are to be treated as a remix of a musical track. Respect the original track, while adding your own twist to it.

Too often do I see horrible crossovers. As I mentioned above. An Assassin's Creed-Pokemon crossover would do fine if you could explain the backstory. Were there Pokemon during the main character, Altair, and his time? Were they always around while the original story happened? And instead of using Encio, use your own character. Believe it or not, it is harder for any fan fic writer to work with already developed characters. One has to be careful to keep that character in, well, character. For instance, in Pokemon.

Ash is not exactly the smartest type when it comes to logic. Do not have him explain some complicated mathematical equation like pi. He is also not very romantic, so do not play him out as if he is.

Develop your own characters, because it is easier to do so. The only reason I use canon characters in my fan fic is because:

A) I am experienced in using canon characters.

B) I use very few, and the story is changed enough to develop some of them by myself.

Respect the main storyline while adding on to it.

Your Crowd

As the famous artist, Deadmau5 once said, the fans are what carry you to your fame. Those fans. Think of them as your friends. You have to work to please them, and in turn, you will gain loyalty. Do not expect much in return, and you will be rewarded.

Of course, this does not mean you should sit around idly. Do not be afraid of advertising yourself. Do not be afraid of asking for help. And, especially do not turn down advice.

And do not be afraid to defend yourself either. If a troll comes on and starts insulting you, report him. Get him kicked. You do not have to put up with that sort of insolence when attempting to work at a piece of art.

Whatever you do, never be afraid of fellow artists. Show your respect, and display kindness, and the writing community will accept you, no matter what you write. As long as you treat others the way you want to be treated.

Remember. I am still learning, and so are you. These are the tips that helped me the most while learning to write, and I hope they help you too! Peace out! Have fun writing here on Pe2k!

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-30-2012 at 09:18 PM.