View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Am I the only one that noticed the ammount of flaws in the original sagas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard Michelle View Post
[INDENT][COLOR="Purple"]

People grew up. That what happen. They realize that Pokemon was an anime aimed at young kids. Not teens who are going on to adulthood.

The whole 'dubbing' thing is only an excuse that people use to stop watching the series. I personally think that the dubbing got better when the dub left the hands of 4Kids and went into tPCI. First off the script was much more kept as is minus Team Rocket. You also had the removal of 'flamboyant' James. Something that I was glad to see gone.

I don't think Johto was horrible but I don't think it is the best. It was the writers first attempt in getting better. They saw that Misty wasn't doing anything to help the group nor did she had anything else to add on to the story. I like Misty but I understood why she had to leave. All she was doing was a person holding Togepi and maybe challenging Ash every so often but that was it. Even her coaching was pointless as we saw that Ash was able to hold his own in a battle without the help of Brook and Misty on the sidelines holding his hands. Then Johto is imfamous for having many fillers though the second part of the series. I don't even remember what they called it but I know I call it, "Johto Freakin Journeys' for a reason. Heck, I haven't even seen all those episodes because they are all filler.

The only good thing that came out of Johto was the fact that the writers were starting to make good use from the source material. They were using events from the games and attempting to adopt them within the anime storyline. Case in point was the 'Lake of Rage' arc. Prior to that they never really attempted to do anything much involving the games outside of gyms and locations. We even got the introduction of the Champion.

Filler is something that all series have. The only things that I don't count as filler in Pokemon are Gym and Contest battles. Still it can be enjoyable such as seeing the members of the league's E4s or Champions. Only in filler can the writers flesh out the Pokemon world and the structure of the society. Prior to Hoenn all we knew was that the E4 tend to be at certain places training or doing something yet we never got a hint that they do interact with each other. Sinnoh Saga gave us the idea that they do interact with each other and introduce the Champion League where people go to challenge the E4 to official matches in order to challenge the Champion of said league.

The plot and story writing greatly improved after Johto. The writers kept learning from their past experience and put that into the future story arcs. In Hoenn we saw more things from the games being adopted such as villains, Team Aqua and Team Magma. They improved this even more in Sinnoh and even found a way to include the trio (Ash, Brook and Dawn) in the story via the Lake Trio. Something that was predictable only half way though the Saga but still impressive that they were able to pull it off. Heck, they even made the Rocket Trio important with the Team Galactic subplot during the run and after since because of their actions within that subplot it led them to what they are doing into the next saga.

Wish I can say the same with BW about learning seeing that they have reverted back to their antics during Kanto/Johto writing but I wish them best wishes in pulling off something decent.
Then almost literally the entire fan base grew up.

The plots got better? What are you talking about? I watched Sinnoh, the Galactic Arc, all of that. It was just plain awful. And the main overlying story has been the same shtick for the entire time. Ash, get 8 gym badges after some "intense" battles. May/Dawn, go get some ribbons and cry when you don't get what you want. Brock, be there for some mild comedic relief and go gaga for the girls.

And the modern Black and White series? Think the whole story with Team Rocket is good, right? They are finally evil like they should be? Don't get your hopes up. They go back right to there stupidity and antics.

Yes, all series have fillers, some do it better than others though.