View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Man gives up $800,000 for school district

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Jolteon View Post
Ur, I'm glad he's given it to a school, but honestly, we have bigger debts to pay.

What about all of our debt to Other Countries?
Especially China.

China, having this burden over the US, can take American jobs leaving more people un-employed.
Not to mention the other things they could do. China's much bigger than the US, they could easily take us over.
$800,000 wouldn't make a difference at all to our foreign debt. Giving that up is just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Firstly, maybe inner-city schools, but not suburban since most schools (private and public) are federally funded, and that money comes from property tax.

Second of all, it is the way things are taught and the way education is treated. The education system holds smart kids behind, trying to catch up the stupid kids, which is unfair. Germany is different because it has three different schools for three different intellectual levels. Education is not supposed to be "fun", and teachers need to get back more authority from overprotective parents or whiny students.

Needless to say, it needs improvement.
Not particularly. At larger high schools there's plenty of opportunity for smarter students to take on more challenging courses through APs and other advanced classes. It is, as always, a matter of money. Schools that can't afford to have a wide spread of different levels of classes will hold back smarter students; i.e. some schools offer Calculus, while others don't. It's not a problem with the system as a whole because when a school has everything it needs it works fine, it's an issue of money and management.

The issue with trying to separate students into intellectual tiers is deciding who's smart and who's dumb. Who will be deciding this? Parents? Teachers? Some committee in a far-off city that's never even met the students? What criteria are they using? IQ? Standardized tests? But both are flawed representations of intelligence. Not everyone is smart in the same way, and not everyone becomes smart (or hard-working) at the same time. And, as Kenny said, if you classify students into tiers you run into the risk of creating self-fulfilling prophecies. Students that are constantly told that they're the best and have access to the best materials will become the best, students told that they're stupid and deprived of intellectual material will become stupid.

The problem with American education is as much a problem with the culture as it is with the system. Americans take education for granted, and thus good students are seen as nerds, while people who skip and don't try in school are perceived as "cool". Meanwhile, in China and other developing countries that have only recently gained the level of industrialization where universal education has become a possibility, education is the first priority for anyone of student age (the Chinese education system has its own major flaws, which I won't go into here, but at least the people appreciate how important it is).

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."