View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 PM
KantoBreeder Offline

Default Re: Challenger [Foxamivalth] vs Terminal Gym Leader [paperfairy]

There was a deadly hush in the gym. Foxamivalth stood on his box, looking down on the lights of the arena below while his heart tried desperately to beat its way out of his chest. He took a couple of seconds to calm his breathing down before turning to look at the screen on his left. Three pokémon, a Flygon, a Gengar and a Heracross, looked back at him with expressionless faces. He nodded and began to think while his hand stretched to the poké balls attached to his belt. Having chosen which of his battlers to use, he placed three of the balls into the scanner. There was a beeping noise and then the three chosen ones, Archeops, Carracosta and Snorlax, appeared on the opposite screen. The figure on the other side of the room studied them carefully, already planning how he could bring them down. Unlike his opponent, this trainer showed no signs of fear, as if this was all part of the job for him. This was, of course, paperairy – the Gym Leader of the Terminal Gym.

He pressed one of the buttons on the control panel and his Gengar appeared in a flash of light. The phantom smiled creepily and shrank away into the shadows, where she felt more comfortable. Foxamivalth saw his opponent’s choice and quickly decided on his own. A flash of light heralded Carracosta’s arrival to the arena, where he stood shivering as the arena drained his strength. Gengar smiled as she saw the confusion on the turtle’s face; having spent long hours training in this arena she was used to the feeling of losing her power. I pressed a button so that the word “begin” appeared on both screens and settled down to watch the battle; I had a feeling that it would be a good one.

Round One

paperfairy

Gengar (F)

HP: 100%
Energy: 100%
Condition: Ready to get going
Moves: Magic Coat ~ Curse

Foxamivalth

Carracosta (M)

HP: 100%
Energy: 100%
Condition: Not sure about this
Moves: Attract ~ Whirlpool

Before Carracosta could even register that the battle had begun, Gengar had begun her first move. Her ethereal body began to glow with bright, white light, which illuminated her half of the arena. Carracosta had to raise an arm to shield her eyes. The light faded away again a little while later, but there was something different; Gengar’s body now shined a little when the light caught it right. I frowned when I saw this, not sure what to make of it. But if I was perplexed then Carracosta was even more so; he tilted his head sideways while his opponent carried on grinning, confident that whatever he had just done would be enough for the time being.

Since Gengar wasn’t making another move for the time being, Carracosta decided that it was time for him to go. A stream of pink hearts flowed from his mouth, drifting through the blackness of the arena. The ghost didn’t react as they floated closer to her; in fact, she seemed to be waiting for them to come closer. It finally dawned on me what was going on and why a smile was spreading across paperfairy’s face. Instead of the hearts being absorbed when they touched the ghost’s purple body, they were bouncing off and being tainted by a black mark. Foxamivalth muttered something as the marked hearts sank into his turtle’s rocky chest. He stumbled, his want to harm the Gengar fading away rapidly. Thoughts that he couldn’t quite understand clouded his mind; he was in love with his opponent, but how was that possible? The attack had been supposed to make her fall in love with him. He could tell that something had gone wrong but had no idea what so he was only able to stand, waiting for the last of his free will to drain away.

Meanwhile, Gengar was getting ready to make things even more difficult for the ancient turtle. Closing her eyes and sitting down on the floor, she began to chant. It was a song that she had only practiced once but, like most ghost-types, knew it instinctively. A pulsing black aura began to emanate from the spectre, spiking more and more rapidly as the speed of his chanting increased. Foxamivalth’s face began to get pale when he realised what was happening. Suddenly, both pokémon were screaming as loudly as they could. And these weren’t just ordinary screams either. They were blood-curdling, bestial screams which could only be achieved when an animal is in intense pain. I shivered when I heard it, the mere sound shaking my skeleton. Carracosta slumped to the ground again soon afterwards, followed quickly by the attack’s effecter. Only Gengar appeared to have been in pain, but Carracosta did seem to be very scared. He wasn’t sure what was going on any more.

In fact, his fear seemed to outweigh his love for Gengar at the moment. He knew that he had to stop her whatever the cost. Water began to seep out of his hard skin, forming a sort of armour around him. He began to channel his energy into the armour so that it span around him in an anti-clockwise direction. It felt good to be surrounded by his natural element but he knew that the water wouldn’t be any use unless he attacked with it. The miniature whirlpool moved slowly away from its creator, who controlled it effortlessly with his mind, and towards the slumped Gengar. The vortex approached the ghost, who did nothing to dodge or block it. It enveloped her but she didn’t react at all – the pain was nothing compared to what she had just been through. Just as Carracosta thought it was over, the whirlpool bounced back from Gengar and got stuck around him. The phantom’s defensive coat was still in play, meaning that the whirlpool’s trapping and damaging effects were reflected back again. The turtle groaned, and then groaned even louder as the curse that Gengar had used on him took effect; things weren’t looking good for him and he knew it. He was going to have t work hard if he was going to win this.

paperfairy

Gengar (F)

HP: 40%
Energy: 80%
Condition: Feeling okay; Magic Coated

Foxamivalth

Carracosta (M)

HP: 69%
Energy: 93%
Condition: Not feeling all that great; Infatuated; Cursed, Trapped (two rounds)

Notes
Magic Coat- (Gengar -7% Energy (Attract and Whirlpool))
Attract- (Carracosta -4% Energy, Attracted)
Curse- (No HP value given, assumed 50%; Gengar -13% HP, -50% HP; Carracosta cursed)
Whirlpool- (Rolled 40/100, 50 or more for attraction; rolled 48/100, 85 or less to hit; rolled 4/8, effective for three rounds; Carracosta -3% Energy, trapped; Gengar -10% HP)
Curse- (Carracosta -25% HP)
Whirlpool- (Carracosta -6% HP)

Arena Notes
There’s some water on the floor

Team Notes
paperfairy
3 pokémon remaining
Foxamivalth
3 pokémon remaining