View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990
Default Re: TES V: Skyrim - Dovahkiin Reborn

Dovahkiin Reborn
-7-

It was nearly midnight by the time they arrived at Whiterun. Revak and Lydia thanked the driver as they entered the citys' main gate. The streets were quiet as most of its' citizens had already went to sleep for the night. Only the tavern seemed to still be alive; it glowed in the night as its patrons drank the night away. Tired and cold, they made their way to Dragonsreach. Revak now clutching the Dragonstone.

The ascended the steps, nodding to the guard as they entered the palace. Revak had thought that he would have to wake the wizard, but as they neared the door he noticed light coming from the room, and hushed voices. Revak held up his hand, motioning for Lydia to stop, and listened to the soft voices coming from the wizards working quarters.

"You see? The terminology clearly is First Era, or even earlier. I'm convinced this is a copy of a much older text. Perhaps dating to just after the Dragon War," the wizards voice said excitedly. "If so, I could use this to cross reference the names with much later texts."

"Good," said another voice, a woman's, "I'm glad you're making progress. My employers are anxious to have some tangible answers."

"Oh have no fear," Revak could almost imagine Farengar shaking in excitement, "the Jarl himself has finally taken interest. So I'm now able to devote most of my time to this research."

"Time is running Farengar, don't forget," the woman's voice said sternly. "This isn't some theoretical question. Dragons have come back."

"Yes, yes, don't worry," Farengar said more calmly. "Although the chance to see a living dragon up close would be tremendously valuable..." Farengar trailed off then seemed to have caught himself, "Now, let me show you something else I have-"

"We have a visitor," the woman said quickly, stopping Farengar mid sentence. Blast, how did she know we were here? Sighing Revak walked in, a faux smile on his face.

"Hmm?" Farengar mumbled, then he saw Revak. He stared for a moment before recognizing him, "Ah yes! The Jarl's new protegé? Back from Bleak Falls Barrow? You didn't die, it seems," he said smiling.

Revak returned the smile, "No, it seems I didn't." Revak held the stone out, "I believe you wanted this?" Revak laid the stone gently on the table in front of Farengar.

Farengar smiled widely when he saw the stone, "Ah! The Dragonstone of Bleak Falls Barrow! Seems you are a cut above the usual brutes the Jarl sends my way," Revak made note not to take that personal.

"My... associate here will be pleased to see your handiwork. She discovered it's location, by means she has so far declined to share with me," Farengar gave a slight glare to the woman.

Revak wasn't going to wait for her to introduce herself, "I'm sorry," he said politely, "I believe we haven't met?"

She didn't look up from the stone, "No, I don't believe we have."

Farengar cleared his throat, he turned to the woman, "So your information was correct after all. And we have our friend here to thank for recovering it," he nodded to Revak.

She looked at Revak, and raised her brows, seemingly noticing him for the first time, "You went into Bleak Falls Barrow? And got that? Nice work."

Revak smiled, "Thanks, and Lydia here is to thank as well."

The woman smiled, "You too, Lydia." Lydia bowed, staying silent.

The woman returned to Farengar, "Just send me copies and-"

She was interrupted by Irileth who was literally sprinting into the room, "Farengar!" All of them were silent, "Farengar," she said breathing, as a small group of guards followed her in.

"What's going on, Irileth?" Lydia asked, her face concerned.

"Farengar, you need to come at once. A dragon's been sighted nearby!" she said quickly.

All of them stood there, shocked, "What?" Revak said, almost not believing that Alduin would attack so soon after Helgen.

"A dragon! How exciting! Where was it seen? What was it doing?" Farengar said excitedly, nearly jumping up and down where he stood.

Irileth must have picked up on this, "I'd take this a bit more seriously if I were you," she said shaking her head. "If a dragon decides to attack Whiterun I don't know if we can stop it."

Revak took a few steps forward, "There has to be a way," he said with a hint of a growl, "everything dies."

"Then you'd better come with us."

Revak smiled, "Wouldn't have it any other way."

Revak thought he caught a hint of a smile on Irileth's stern face, "Come on then, the Jarl will speak with us first."

With a nod Revak followed, Farengar and Lydia in tow. The found the Jarl in his personal quarters, he was already speaking with a guard, "So Irileth tells me you came from the western watchtower?" he asked the guard calmly.

The guard was obviously shaken, he nodded since words were obviously failing him. The three of us gathered in the doorway. Irileth made her way inside, and laid her hand softly on the guards shoulder. The guard jumped at her touch, she slowly moved in front of him and kneeled down, "Tell him what you told me," she said softly, "About the dragon."

He nodded slowly and took a deep breath, "We saw it coming from the south," he shook where he sat. "It was fast... faster than anything I'd ever seen."

"What did it do?" the Jarl asked quickly, "Is it attacking the watchtower?"

The guard continued to shake his head, "No, my lord. It was just circling overhead when I left. I never ran so fast in my life," he shook even more, he leaned forward, his head resting on his hands, "I thought it would have come after me for sure."

The Jarl smiled and offered the guard his arm, the guard took it and stood, albeit shakily, "Good work, son. We'll take it from here. Head down to the barracks for some food and rest. You've earned it," The guard nodded and took his leave.

The four of them all stood in silence, the Jarl stared at Irileth, "Don't fail me."

Iritleth stood tall, "I won't, my lord."

The Jarl turned to Revak, "I would like you to join Irileth at the watchtower," he said. Then he pointed to some armor laid out on the table, "New armor I had made for you for your return to Whiterun from your quest, it seems fitting that you wear it into this battle."

Revak nodded, he wasn't going to turn down better armor, "Thank you my lord." Immediately Revak removed his damaged iron armor and replaced it with fine steel. It was fitted perfectly, Revak assumed it was made by Eorlund. It took a short time for Revak to don the new armor, then he joined Irileth and Lydia at the main gate.

"You don't have to come," Revak said to Lydia as he accepted a new shield from a guard.

"Ha," Lydia scoffed, "and let you take all the glory?"

Revak laughed as they began to move out. The watchtower was relatively close to the city. They could see it in the distance. Only the sounsd of armored footsteps could be heard in the darkness of the night. As they got closer to the tower it became more and more apparent that the dragon had already attacked. The smell of burned grass, flesh, and wood greeted them. They could see the glows of the fires still burning surrounding the tower. The group paused for a moment, taking in the scene, Irileth turned to her soldiers, "Search for survivors!" she commanded.

The guards scattered, looking for any who may have survived the attack. Revak made his way to the tower entrance, and then jumped back as a sword nearly cleaved him in two. A man dressed in Whiterun's colors guarded the door, waving his sword wildly. Revak grabbed the man's arm and steadied him, "Calm yourself," Revak said, looking into the man's eyes.

It took a moment, but he soon stopped shaking enough to speak, by this time Irileth and Lydia had joined them, "It's still here!" the guard gasped, "It's going to come back!"

"The dragon?" Irileth cursed. "What do you mean it's still here-"

"DRAGON!" they heard a guard scream behind them. All three of them turned, and sure enough in the distance a large dark shaped was coming, and fast.

Revak drew his blade, "ARCHERS!" Irileth cried and she herself drew her bow, Lydia had her bow as well.

The dragon came in for a first attack, fire streaming from it's maw. It burned two guards where they stood, and for good measure the beast grabbed another in his jaws and crushed him with a sickening sound; dropping the guards' mangled body on the ground near his comrades. Then it turned and flew out of range again, gaining distance to come again for another strike.

Between the screams and the sounds of the fire it was impossible to hear oneself speak, let alone think. Revak turned to Irileth, shouting to make sure he was heard, "We need to get it to land," he said pointing at the dragon for emphasis, "or we'll never take it down!" She nodded that she understood him. Their arrows were only bouncing off the dragon's scales.

Revak watched as the dragon turned and came back for it's second attack. Revak was furious, he could do no damage to it where he stood. The tower, he thought, if it won't come to me, I'll go to it. Without a second thought Revak turned to the tower, ignoring Lydia's protests. He raced up the steps until he reached the roof. He watched as the dragon flew out of range again.

He needed to get his attention, Akatosh guide me, he thought as he raised his blade high above his head, making himself a target, "COME AND GET ME, WORM!" he shouted as the dragon grew near, the dragon roared so loud that Revak's ears began to ring. As it grew near the dragon opened his mouth and let loose a stream of flame directed at Revak. Revak dodged, but only barely as he got his shield up. The dragon's fire was too intense and it burnt the shield, making the metal burn and the wood crack. Cursing Revak threw his shield down. The dragon must have decided that Revak wasn't a worthy enough target, it turned and came back for a fourth charge, this time turning around the tower and going once again for the guards firing arrows below.

My chance, Revak thought as he charged the edge of the tower, and carefully timing he leaped over the edge with a savage cry. His sword over his head he plummeted onto the dragon's back The dragon roared in protest as the Nord crashed onto its back. Revak struggled to steady himself one handed as the dragon flew erratically trying to throw him off, he heard the dragon speaking underneath it's roars, "Niid! Dannick joor! Hin niis krii ann dovah!"

Revak had no idea what the beast was screaming, but he assumed that it was something that he didn't want to happen, "Not today worm!" he cried as he lifted his blade and sunk it into the dragon's wing.

"Niid!" the beast seemed to scream as blood poured from it's wing. It lost control, spinning and crashing into the tower before dive bombing toward the ground head first. It was all Revak could do to hold on as the beast crashed, parting through the earth like water. Finally, the dragon stopped, but Revak could still feel it breathing, It's stunned, he thought. He stood and half walked, half crawled to the dragon's head; at this point it seemed to have noticed Revak's intent. It began thrashing and twisting it's head back and forth in an attempt to throw Revak off. Revak held with all his strength.

He grabbed the beasts horn and hefted himself into a more steady position. Lifting his sword once again he aimed for a soft point between the end of the dragons' skull. The beast roared in pain as Revak buried his blade deep in the dragons' skull, and soon the dragon moved no more.

Panting, Revak let himself fall to the ground, a welcome rest, but rest would have to wait. He stood, his muscles screaming in protest, and he took in the site of the dead beast before him; a dragon that had been killed by his hand. He heard the others gathering behind him, their heavy footfalls announcing their arrival. Revak looked into the dragons' open and ungazing eye, but once he did he felt a strange sensation. He gasped as he felt a rush of energy enter his body, not only energy, but memories.

Skyrim as seen from above, a name... Mirmulnir, "Alligiance-Strong-Hunt", sent to scout and destroy the city of Whiterun and it's Dragonsreach trap. Words, so many words, an entire existence in language.

Fus Ro Dah.

Force, Balance, Push.

The power of the dragon, the unrelenting force of the Shout. The power of the Dovahkiin who was reborn.

O O O O O O O O O

Lydia watched as Revakkaal leapt from the watchtower and onto the dragon's back. She stood, frozen, her bow still notched and ready to fire, but she held back, fearing she'd strike the man riding on the dragon's back. The dragon tried to throw him off, twisting and turning in the air so violently that she was sure that Revak would be sent to his death, but he held on. She heard a great roar as a trail of deep red blood poured from the beast's wing and it began to crash back to earth.

The beast tore the earth apart when it landed, and Revak wasted no time in scurrying to the beasts head and sinking his blade into its' neck. Lydias' heart seemed to stop as Revak fell from the dragon and onto the ground. She nearly sprinted to him, but she breathed a sigh of relief when he stood and stared at the dragon.

And stared.

And stared.

Suddenly, a bright yellow light formed around both the dragon and Revakkaal. Then white, then orange, colored lights spiraled around the both of them. The dead dragon's eyes glowed and so did Revak's with a deep gold color, then, after a few minutes it was dark again, but gold mist slowly rose from Revak's body; like a steam made of gold. Slowly, Lydia and the guards made their way towards Revak, their swords still drawn and ready to encounter whatever had just happened to the man that was supposed to be their friend.

One of the guards fell to his knees, his eyes tearing, "He's a Dragonborn!" the man cried. The others froze at the word, so did Lydia. Dragonborn? She thought they can't be. But then she looked back, the way he killed the dragon, like he knew what he was doing, the lights, those eyes. Dragonborn? The warriors of the old legends?

Another guard fell to his knees, "The Dragonborn have returned to Skyrim!" Revak still stood with his back to them, his glittering energy still coming off of him.

That's when she realized. He knew. That's when she remembered that old song, the one that talked of the Dragonborn returning, she sang softly, "Our hero, our hero, claims a warriors heart..."

The guard that had first fallen to his feet heard and continued the song his voice deep and loud, "I tell you, I tell you the Dragonborn comes!"

The second guard joined, then a third, then all of them were singing,

With a Voice wielding power of the ancient Nord art

Believe, believe, the Dragonborn comes

It's an end to the evil of all Skyrim's foes

Beware, beware, the Dragonborn comes

For the darkness has passed and the legend yet grows

They all stopped when Revak turned, his eyes still bright and his head bowed, and then chills crawled down Lydia's back as Revak sung, his voice so deep, so low and now so powerful, "You'll know, you'll know, the Dragonborn's come," he sang, finishing the song a wicked yet friendly smile on his face.

Then as if reading everyone's minds Revak raised his head and stared at the stars, breathed in deeply, and then he Shouted, his voice echoing off the mountains, and a huge stream of energy blasting into the sky and making the very ground rumble, "FUS RO DAH!"