View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default Hoenn Pokemon compared to previous generations

What did you guys think about the Hoenn Pokemon compared to the Kanto and Johto Pokemon? Did you like them more or less?

I personally liked them less. Beginning with the starters, I just never liked them as much as the previous generations. I always pick the Grass starter so the choice was easy for me, but even in Johto and Kanto I always loved the other starters as well and looked forward to replaying through the game with them. In Hoenn, however, I picked Treecko both times. The other two did not appeal to me at all.

Secondly, legendaries. This is where the games started getting legend-heavy to me. Kanto had 5 legends and Johto had 6. Hoenn had 11. That's as much as Kanto and Johto combined! For me, this is where legends lost their charm and I stopped getting excited about capturing them and using them on my team.

Finally, Pokemon designs. Apart from Sinnoh, I probably dislike Hoenn Pokemon as a whole the most. There weren't really any Pokemon that really stood out to me and that I loved from this region. Before the games were released, I really liked Jirachi. However, because it was actually impossible to get Jirachi in the games without events, that wasn't much use to me. xD I know lots of people really love Hoenn Pokemon, but for me, they never seemed as interesting as the Kanto and Johto Pokemon. I think the fact that we started getting Pokemon which were very similar to earlier Pokemon (eg. based on the same animal, close resemblences and/or same typing) also put me off a bit and made the whole thing feel less original. Linoone (Furret), Beautifly (Butterfree), Slaking (Snorlax), Sealeo (Seel/Dewgong), Feebas (Magikarp), Seviper (Arbok), Clamperl (Shellder), Gulpin/Swalot (Grimer/Muk) are some examples of what I mean!

I never really fell in love with Hoenn as I did the earlier regions and now Unova. Am I the only one?