Thread: [Contest] [WAR XI] Graphic Art
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: [WAR XI] Graphic Art

WEEK 3 JUDGING RESULTS

*Cracks knuckles*

Alright, looks like we're all here, so let's get the party started.

MAGNETO BY EMBREON
SCORE: 100/100

Yes, I'm giving this a clean and perfect score of 100, because no matter how hard I try, I can't find a single thing wrong with it, and I'd have to be a tenacious jackass to try and come up with some kind of BS reason to think that's justification for not giving this a perfect score. AWESOME use of black and red, and the white was also well-incorporated in the background. Meanwhile, that image of Magneto is just freaking BADASS and I love it. The background effects are also awesome and extremely well done. The text is just perfect and is easy to read while using a great font, and I like what you did with the border as well. Great use of a gradient on that one. This was everything I expected from this theme and then some. You rock. 'Nuff said.

UNTIMELY DEMISE BY CHARMANDER009
SCORE: 88/100

The text wasn't terrible, but I think it could have been better. It was a great font, but I don't think putting the font on Overlay was the way to go, as the words "Do" and "Know" are a tinge bit hard to read. The word "FEAR" also looks good and has a great font, but I might have done more with the glow around it to make the letters stand out a bit more. Besides that, the image of Ganondorf was pretty good, definitely one of his better ones. It is a little tough to notice him on the first glance, as he tends to blend it a little too well with the background. The border looks cool though, I like that. In general, it's still pretty good.

BRAINIAC BY BRAINIAC
SCORE: 78/100

I like the maroon and black background, but the text is tough to read. I'm thinking a black outer glow or something like that might have made it a bit better, as you have red text blending in with red background a little too much. The image of Brainiac is good and I like the red, wavy glow behind him. Again, the font you used for the text was great, and the background was good, but I think something more in range of shades than very dark maroon against black might have made this a little better.

DO YOU THINK YOU KNOW FEAR? BY NITRO
SCORE: 74/100

Interesting idea to go with a more infrared, red light approach. The background effect was cool, but it made the image of Ganondorf very tough to see, and if he had been any darker, he would have been nothing but a black shadow. Yeah, I wanted something dark, but not... so literally. I like the gray border though, and the text gets the job done. But yeah, I think the image of Ganondorf needed to be easier to see to give this a better score.

EVIL LAUGH BY JOKESTERJESSE
SCORE: 80/100

I love the effects, I like how you blended the render of Kira into the background, and I think the text was also pretty good, though a bit on the small side. Big issue is... you totally missed the parameter about the border, and yet everyone else didn't. I really like the splash-like effect, but I feel that if you had given this a cool border, I probably would have scored it somewhere in the mid 90s.

RED MILES BY VELOCITY
SCORE: 84/100

That was definitely a weird but interesting video. Anyway, I like the renders, but the background would have been better if it were brighter and easier to see the lightning and branch-like cracks. I think it would have looked cool if it was much easier to see it and really made the banner stand out. Also, while the renders were good, they just didn't seem to be blended in all that well with the rest of it. The text, however, is pretty good and easy to read. I also feel the banner would have greatly benefitted by removing the white around the banner itself and making that transparent.

WEEK 3 WINNERS

1st Place (3 Points) - EmBreon of Not-So-Super Friends
2nd Place (2 Points) - Charmander009 of Eggman Empire
3rd Place (1 Point) - Velocity of Revolution Uprising

And Week 3's theme is coming.