View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Default Re: Christian Feminists? Oh, the irony.

All right, I can't keep my nose out of this after all, I guess. Just want you to know that the law is not as active/needful today as you believe. Many people/churches were repeatedly called out because they were mixing old traditions with the faith, as if the latter weren't enough to save them. Once upon a time people needed sacrifices of bulls and lambs to atone for their sins before God, but then when Jesus happened.

Quote:
"But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code." - Romans 7:6
Quote:
"To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law." - Romans 9:31
(This one is a little less obvious; Paul is basically referring to how he is not under the law because he is saved in Christ; the same is true of all believers)

Quote:
"We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified." - Galatians 2:15-16
Quote:
"Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian." - Galatians 3:23-25
Quote:
"You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace." - Galatians 5:4
Quote:
"The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. Otherwise, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins." - Hebrews 10:1-3
Most of the laws concerned making certain sacrifices considering certain sins, but when Jesus came his sacrifice was meant to cover all sins - not by works, which is what is involved in the law, but by faith. If you don't believe me, read Galatians because it obviously has a lot to say on the matter. The law is no longer necessary for salvation; Jesus, however, is.

Thanks, Speed and Dino and also Speed! :D