View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Christian Feminists? Oh, the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Oh, really? It's not true that one doesn't need the law to be saved?
That is assuming that you can be saved.

Quote:
The laws weren't destroyed, there's the thing. Can't believe I didn't bring this one into the discussion before, but here you go:

Not made for the righteous. Christians are made righteous through faith in Christ; therefore, the law is not made for believers, who do not need it to be pure seeing as they've already been made pure through Christ's sacrifice.
I fail to see how this belief can ever be considered moral.

Quote:
The Ten Commandments are separate from the Old Testament law. God wrote the commandments with his own hand, while Moses - guided by God - wrote the Mosaic law. Homosexuality is another can of worms entirely. Homosexuality is denounced as a sin repeatedly in the New Testament as well as the Old Testament. It's still a perversion of the marriage guidelines God himself laid down for mankind. That's not to say I'm going to go beat up/ridicule a homosexual, because the Bible calls believers to show mercy and compassion to all, believers or nonbelievers, saved or sinners.
It is a poor argument to say that the Ten Commandments are not to be thrown aside along with the Old Testament covenant.

None of the four gospels mentions the subject. This means that, so far as we know, Jesus never spoke about homosexuality, and we simply have no way of determining what his attitude toward it might have been. Moreover, there is nothing about homosexuality in the Book of Acts, in Hebrews, in Revelation, or in the letters attributed to James, Peter, John, and Jude. Further, homosexuality is not mentioned in ten of the thirteen letters attributed to Paul. It is only in Romans 1:2627, 1 Corinthians 6:910, and 1 Timothy 1:811 that there may be references to homosexuality.The paucity of references to homosexuality in the New Testament suggests that it was not a matter of major concern either for Jesus or for the early Christian movement.

Quote:
As for cherrypicking... Methinks the pot is calling the kettle black in this scenario.
Again, not at all. I am quoting these directly, and am confused as to how one can justify being a "good" person when these verses are in here. It does not matter if there are "good" quotes or verses from the Bible, since there are already negatives.

Quote:
You want an honest answer? It doesn't. I never set out to justify anything, just to point out several passages that clearly state that following the Old Testament law will not get you saved.
Alright. What about the sexist statements in the New Testament? Is there a way to justify any of these?

Quote:
But do you want to know something else? Nothing, and I repeat, nothing justifies bigotry within modern Christianity. Christians are called to love and show compassion and mercy to all, like God shows mercy to those who sin against him. The fact that 'believers' shun or hate anyone made in the image of God is a flaw within their hearts, not with the Bible or with God. I don't have any problem with homosexuals, frankly; one of the people I talked to most last school year was a homosexual. If I know a homosexual I'll tell them that the Bible says their behavior is sinful, sure, but it's up to God to judge. Not me. Or you. Or my grandma. Or your cat. See my point?
I wish I could believe that the Abrahamic God was a God of love and mercy, but the entire Bible suggests otherwise. Hell, reality indicates otherwise, but that is another matter that will not derail this thread.

Quote:
I hold to the belief that no-one who is truly saved and knows the unconditional love of God would deliberately commit an act of evil.
What if they truly belief what they are doing is God's will?