View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Default Re: Christian Feminists? Oh, the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
I fail to see how this belief can ever be considered moral.
I fail to see how you fail to see. The only thing one needs to be saved is faith - like you said, you have to assume you can be saved.

Quote:
It is a poor argument to say that the Ten Commandments are not to be thrown aside along with the Old Testament covenant.

None of the four gospels mentions the subject. This means that, so far as we know, Jesus never spoke about homosexuality, and we simply have no way of determining what his attitude toward it might have been. Moreover, there is nothing about homosexuality in the Book of Acts, in Hebrews, in Revelation, or in the letters attributed to James, Peter, John, and Jude. Further, homosexuality is not mentioned in ten of the thirteen letters attributed to Paul. It is only in Romans 1:2627, 1 Corinthians 6:910, and 1 Timothy 1:811 that there may be references to homosexuality.The paucity of references to homosexuality in the New Testament suggests that it was not a matter of major concern either for Jesus or for the early Christian movement.
It may look like a poor argument, but it's true. The commandments were/are separate from the Old Testament covenant, and would thus have to be tossed separately if at all.

That is true, and homosexuality, so far as I know, was not nearly so prevalent back then as today; compared with the state of one's eternal future it would likely have then seemed less important to teach the people. But you're forgetting that while condemnation of homosexuals is not written all over the bible, the proper marriage format is. One man and one woman, simple and pure.

Quote:
Again, not at all. I am quoting these directly, and am confused as to how one can justify being a "good" person when these verses are in here. It does not matter if there are "good" quotes or verses from the Bible, since there are already negatives.
But you are not using the similar passages that balance responsibilities between the woman and the man. Anyway, you're forgetting that according to the Bible, God made the world and is sovereign. Whoever's in charge - i.e. God - gets to define good. Something that seems perfectly acceptable to the world may be a sin. Christians are, like it or not, called to a higher standard than the world, which is corrupted by sin. But this goes into the whole 'sovereign God' debate, and that could drag on for days and days.

Quote:
Alright. What about the sexist statements in the New Testament? Is there a way to justify any of these?
First of all, the man is called to be the spiritual leader. Flat out. A woman is supposed to submit to him, but not, I think, in the way that you suppose. It does not give a man the right to make a slave out of his wife. The man has responsibilities to the woman as well.
Quote:
"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself." - Ephesians 5:22-28
A husband is supposed to love his wife, and let's state the biblical implications of love...
Quote:
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
A husband who loves his wife in the true and proper way will not be self-seeking. He will be loving, giving, and protecting to his wife, and will treat her well. The man and woman have different roles. The woman is the supporter, the man the protector. Maybe this seems sexist, but that's the way it is. I'm not sure I can prove to you that genders are 'equal' according to the bible. They are supposed to be complements to each other, rather than the same. But both genders have a crucial role to play in the body of Christ, and that's good enough for me at least.

Quote:
I wish I could believe that the Abrahamic God was a God of love and mercy, but the entire Bible suggests otherwise. Hell, reality indicates otherwise, but that is another matter that will not derail this thread.
You forget that this selfsame God is also stated to be just.

Quote:
What if they truly belief what they are doing is God's will?
Hmm... That one I'm not entirely sure of, to be honest. That's an interesting topic. If what that person is doing does not contradict the Bible, then who knows? Going so far as to kill somebody in God's name, though, is just foolish. 'Thou shalt not kill' is in the Ten Commandments for a reason.

Thanks, Speed and Dino and also Speed! :D