View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Neptune's Disciple Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neptune's Disciple
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Sure you can. Pedophilia has genetic predisposition and we freely persecute them for it.

The issue, of course, is that religion doesn't come into play if we speak of ethics of homosexuality, so I have no idea why this is being up for discussion in the first place. But what's done is done.

It is a fascinating topic though, the study of Bible and its relevance to homosexuality.
I think religion keeps getting brought up because a lot of people's sense of ethics and morality are based on religion, and it can be used to justify people's both positive and negative views on homosexuality.

I really cannot fathom how homosexuality is constantly compared to paedophilia. Homosexual acts are committed between consenting adults.

We freely prosecute for paedophilia because, as Teddiursa of the Sky has pointed out, paedophilia has long lasting negative psychological effects. It is also committed with non-consenting people, who often do not have the mental capacity to understand what is happening, or that they have the ability to say no. There are so many things wrong with paedophilia that I couldn't even begin to list them.

Coming back to your point about it being a genetic condition/predisposition, some people are more likely to develop sociopathic tendencies than others, suggesting a predisposition for murder and other heinous crimes (of which, I would include paedophilia), should we not prosecute them for it because of a 'genetic predisposition'?