View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Yoshi256 Offline

Default Re: Pokemon Similar Games/Knock-Offs?

I'm just gonna tear bits and pieces off of that post and try to make sense of this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
I acutally know a lot about it, since I used to play a little with my brother.
Do you realise that statement contradicts itself? You can't really know a "lot" about something if you've played a "little". Just wanted to point that out there
Quote:
Seems pretty unreal people would think it doesn't have many similarities to Pokemon, because it /does/.
Seems pretty unreal people would think anything Japanese isn't similar to other Japanese things. Seems pretty unreal one card game is in no way similar to another card game - Oh wait. Aren't you comparing Yugioh to the actual Pokemon games? Pokemon's TCG is realistically a spin-off OF the thing it's about, so...that, and I'm not even sure which one you're talking about any more (the woe of listening to someone so young...). Either way, it's not too easy to not compare these two things, but to say that Yugioh is a SPIN-OFF is too much, since the main Pokemon games and the Yugioh TCG are just too different:
Monsters - PKMN: 6, YGO: Usually up to 20.
Combat system - PKMN: (Passive) Abilities, stats, moves (of different types and power) and typing. YGO: Monster effects, traps & spells, and simple attack power.
Progression - PKMN: Experience and levels. YGO: Uhh...wins?
Winning conditions - PKMN: Health of all your mons (your mons, not the trainer itself) YGO: Life points (of the player, not the monsters)
There are more things that are just too different to say Yugioh's a spin-off of Pokemon
(Oh, incase anyone didn't know, PKMN = Pokemon, YGO = Yugioh)
Quote:
If it had too many similarities, it'd probably be a bootleg rather than a knock-off.
Can't comment on that, but knock-off? You've got to be kidding me...you said you played it right? How can Yugioh be a knock-off of Pokemon? Just tell me (and spare me the whole similar gameplay. What about the internals? The differences between the use of Pokemon and the ideas of Yugioh or whatever else)
Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh is near perfect in relation to the Pokemon TCG. Different monsters, card designs, and names. Of course, all TCG are like that.
Near perfect?
-The fact that Pokemon cards (the actual "monsters" in the game) have health while almost every other TCG I know of doesn't include that? That's a major difference.
-I'll admit that Trainer cards do seem to act like Magic/Spell cards, so I'll give you that.
-Different monsters, card designs, and names? Makes me wonder: Is what's in your head a brain or a pea?
-Pokemon cards have many 'mons of the same type but simply have different moves, while there are many more Yugioh monsters, each copy having the same effect, ATK and DEF points (and level and more).
-I guess the star system in Yugioh and the Evolution system in Pokemon is similar in the idea of sacrificing what's on your field for stronger monsters, except Yugioh isn't usually limited by only being able to place a monster by using a specific other monster as tribute (there are some, but that's only some out of the humongous list of cards)
-Cards needed to let your Pokemon do more powerful moves? Only uses the idea of costs that's within TCG's (which you did kinda say), but the fact it's an attack being similar to monster effects from Yugioh? That's a fair bit of a difference.

But one thing I have to say before I finish off: Did you actually check all your dates? Yeah. Pokemon started in 1996, but Yugioh also started in that same year. Sure it matured into what it is now, but the fact still stands that it did start the same year as Pokemon.

Can you again tell me how much you think Yugioh is a "spin-off" or "knock-off" of Pokemon again? This thread has started to amuse me, and you remaining silent will be the best fun of all

I was Yoshi256, but I'm now Haxaurus4. I just haven't gotten it changed.