View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam
Default Re: George W. Bush: What do you think?

First of all, I must admit that I didn't pay as much attention to politics during Clinton's administration...and I realize that information that I don't ahev about that era may influence my opinion. However, I hate it when people blame everything on the prior president, and think the current president blameless.

Anyway, CS, I think you'd agree with me when I say that I think that debating singular quotes would be a total waste of our time, so I'll just compress my general rebuttal and moce on.

First of all, I posted 'sing' as shorthand for 'singular', and would never say 'sing' in public. However, I do get your point. The president makes lots of speeches, but his butchering of the English language has just been something that has always bugged me. I hope you realize that it is only one of the lesser, preliminary reaons I gave for my opposition to Bush; there's more to come.

Now, leaveing the president's speech behind us, I'd like to present my primary reason for disliking, no despising, the president: The Iraq War. I believe that, if we hadn't invaded Iraq 15 months ago, the only thing that would be different today would be that 700 more Americans would be alive, and countless more Iraqis. Bush started a war. Period. In my opinion, it was hardly provoked. He claimed that there was an immenant threat, that we would be attacked by WMDs. Were there any? No. In fact, the current administration now denies ever using the phrase 'imminant threat' to describe the situation with Iraq. Also, Bush filled the minds of the ignorant masses that Hussein was in league with Al-Qaeda, and was responsible for 9/11. He preyed upon the weakness of the people after the disaster, rallying them towards a 'noble' cause.

Before the Iraq War, Colin Powell gave two/three (which I'll explain in a minute) reasons for the invasion of Iraq, in order of importance and priority:

1.) Retribution for 9/11 and destruction of a regime that harbors terrorists

2.) Destruction of the WMDs to destroy the threat to America

When a reporter asked about 'lioberating tghe oppressed Iraqi people' as a reason, Powell told him that it was a distant tertiary motive.

Alright now, reaons 1 and 2 are complete bull, as we now know, and the administartion is strectching that reason they labelled as 'tertiary' before the war as a noble, essential purpose for invading.

I have more reasons, but I'm guessing we should get through this one before moving on...I'm guessing it'll take a while -_- ;P
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.