Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam
Default The Iraq War - Was it Worth It?

Now that it's been 2 years *shudders at the thought* since the US's invasion of Iraq...

-Why, in your opinion, did the war start?
-Was it worth it?
-Should the war have happened?

I'll jump in with my thoughts soon.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Last edited by Alakazam; 01-31-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Keeper_of_Light Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Keeper_of_Light
Default Re: The Iraq War - Was it Worth It?

Simply put:
No it souldnt have happened.
and so was not worth it.
It happened as the Bush think he rules the world and needs to blame someone for all HIS mistakes. It was also probs about oil as well.

"Remember, battles may be won or lost but if the battlers do not learn, the battle served no purpose."
Old 01-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

-Bush Wanted the Oil
-No, we've lost too many men, and too much money
-Hell No. It was not worth it. It was too expensive, and too many people died.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

You know that the reason why this stupid war even started was only because of oil, and Saddam tried to kill Bush's daddy. Bush also could of prevented attacks on any building, since the World Trade center's basement was already bombed once. This whole war is about that, and that alone. He says he's helping people, but all he's doing is destroying lives, and making things worse. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a draft.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Sudo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to Sudo

I said that there was no "weapons of mass destruction" to my dad a month before it all started and i was correct.It seems to me that Bush has his own hidden agenda!
Old 02-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

It's time to put in my 2 cents.

Why, in your opinion, did the war start?

Honestly, I'm not too certain about this, but I have a few theories, and I know of a few "reasons" why the war began that are falsehoods. So, I guess I'll start this section off by listing why we DIDN'T go to war.

-"because Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction." In the months leading up to the war, this was the Bush Administration's chief expressed purpose for the invasion. However, as both Hans Blix (leader of the UN Weapons Inspections team in Iraq) and CIA operatives who also investigated, there isn't/wasn't any evidence of these weapons. They just don't exist. Most of Saddam's weapons are just old SCUD missles from the Gulf War and some 10-15 year old bioweapons that would have already gone bad anyway.

-"because Saddam Hussein was an imminent threat to the United States, and leaving him in power would lead to disaster." Of course, the strongest point to back this up is explained above. Bush was also saying that Hussein had a nulclear weapons program that would have been able to produce a nulcear weapon within a year. Not only did Saddam not have a very advanced nuclear weapons program, but it didn't seem like he had any intention of creating any in the foreseeable future (the sale of uranium from Africa to Saddam was shown to be dubious at best, and it couldn't be confirmed). If Bush was genuinely trying to get rid of a grave threat to this country, he should have invaded (not that I think he should have invaded any country) Iran or North Korea who pose a bigger threat than Hussein ever could.

-"because Saddam Hussein is a horrible dictator. We need to liberate the Irai people." Don't make me laugh. This is such a joke it makes me want to puke. It's not believeable at all. The US government has had a history of aligning themselves with dictators, and even helping to put them in power. They're good for business, from our point of view. Not only that, but the US govvernment has been more kind to Hussein than most other dictators. We sold him weapons in the past (including biological and chemical weapons), and he was even given THE KEY TO THE CITY OF DETROIT by George H. W. Bush.

-"because we're fighting the War on Terror." Don't make me laugh. That's completely irrelevant. Saddam Hussein isn't a terrorist...so how again does this tie in to the so-called "War on Terror"?

So why did we go to war then? Well, I don't claim to know, but here are a few reasons I see as possibilities:

-for political gain: By invading another country and attempting to convert it to a democracy, Bush greatly increased his chances at reelection. I'm certain the the capture of Saddam Hussein ensured his second term.

-to appease the corporations: Destroying Iraq opens up many doors for corporate behemoths such as Halliburton and Lockhead Martin. Remember, Lynn Cheney is CURRENTLY on Halliburton's board of directors, and Dick Cheney was on it up until he became Vice President.

-oil: this one's a bit farfetch'd, but we all know that there's plenty of money to be had in oil, and that there's plenty of oil to be had in Iraq.

Which one was it? Most likely all three, but listed in order of importance above.

Was it worth it? Hmm, let's see....over $260,000,000,000, over 1400 American lives, over 10,000 Iraqi lives, and the loss of US credibility across the globe for a new democracy in the middle east? No, it wasn't worth it. Bush said that he was going to war as a last resort, but I hope you can see that that certainly was not the case.

Should the war have happened? No. There's no question about that in my mind.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:01 AM
koolcurtis Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to koolcurtis Send a message via Yahoo to koolcurtis

I think Bush is trying to make up for not heeding to the warnings of 9-11, so when Iraq didn't let in UN inspectors, he OVER reacted. Iraq didn't allow UN inspectors in before and the US didn't go to war with them, but now Bush needs to "make the world safe" and so he categorized Iraq as a terrorist regim, to help his war on terror grow. Intelligence was right about 9-11, so bush had to start to listen to them, and so he made a poor judgement on faulty intelligence.

I don't think this War is worth it. I kinda refer to it as Vietnam 2. It's guerilla warfare basically(hit and run tactics). There is no way to win. You'll live in fear of every car and person. Suspect everyone. Plus the army could be taking in "prisoners" but have no way of knowing if they even did anything wrong. Intelligence was wrong about Nuclear weapons.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I'm not so sure that the war is unwinnable...the media has been copnjecturing lately that the insurgency has been weakening, after a 'hostage' was found out to be nothing more than a doll.

I'm sure the new Iraqi government will get on its feet eventually, but its going to take YEARS, and even once they've gotten the government set up, they've still gotta set up basic utilities (water, electrivity, etc.), and then begin to rebuild the ruins that is their country.

And once all that is set up, they'll probably be the target of future terror attacks...

In this case, the ends simply don't justify the means.More people died in the Iraq War than did on September 11th, 2001 (and 1400 of the were Americans).