Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 11-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Anime/Manga Review

Anime: Gundam Seed
Watched: all 50 episodes
ESRP rating: Teen (13+)
Genre: Action Mecha

Produced in 2002, and now just coming into America, it's the second series to make it in, and is the newest contender to Gundam Wing.

Graphics

A portion of the series is computer animated. This unique combination has been shown in many of the new series from Sunrise, presumably to conserve cash count. The seemless combination, however, made this worthwhile.

9/10

Plot

Kira, a normal civilian, is dragged into the dreadlock conflict between the Coordinators (the meaning of coordinaters areshown to you later in the series), their arm ZAFT, and the Earth Alliance, led by the naturals. Things begin as Kira noticed the person stealing a top secret project is none other than his long lost best friend...

Overall the storyline is separated into 4 arcs, each with its own opening theme. Of those 4 arcs, only by the end of the second arc did the plot begin to really rev up. In my opinion, the beginning dragged for too long. The ening to this plot is also quite unsatisfying, as unanswered questions littered. However, we now know that there is a sequel to Gundam Seed, so we can...sort of overlook that. This is hte lowest score I've given to a Gundam series.

6/10

Characters

Kira is a stupid wimpy idiot. Naw, I just can't put upwith him for some reason. The question now is how did they manage to include so many characters. The answer: discard some now and then! I didn't like how they made one of the characters shift from the backburner and the antagonist and back to sort of a protagonist in the backburner. Overall, however, it was decent.

8/10

Originality

Gundam? It's never been original since the 5th Gundam series. However, the twist of the coordinators gave this a higher rating.

7/10

Enjoyment

No matter how bad the plot and characters are, the action is still extremely well done. What can you say, I liked the fighting. The whole Kira thing and that one character (whom I really wanted to have placed into a stable, antagonist-to-protagonist shift), I've enjoyed a relatively decent series.

9/10

Overall
39/50 or 7.8

Whoa, that's quite a low score. I would have personally thought the series wouldhover over the 80-range, and I guess this one ended up on the lower end of things. No biggie. It's still a decent series, but not a major competitor against Gundam Wing. Gundam Seed Destiny, however, can be a different story...

- Kenny C., pilot of Providence
Old 11-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: Witch Hunter Robin
Watched: all 26 Episodes
Genre: Action Suspense
Currently licensed and airing on YTV, Cartoon Network (if I recall, and probably Adult Swim), and Teletoon (I think).

320 years since the coven sank into the dark,
an anime watcher
fulfilling prophecies
rating the series
"Kenny's Rate"
*I did not try to completely copy it all. lol

Graphics

Sunrise, Sunrise, SUNRISE!!!! WHY do you use...COMPUTER?!!?! I don't know, it's still looking as good as Gundam Seed's style, so I'm not actually complaining about this budget-saving technique. After you get over Robin's ridiculous hairstyle, hey she's pretty cute. What I mean is, the graphics are overall well done, since we already know Sunrise's production standards.

9/10

Plot

STN-J is the Japanese branch of a witch hunting organization called Solomon (which its HQ is in Europe). One fateful day, one of the hunters in STN-J died, and Solomon sends a replacement hunter to STN-J...her name was Robin.

The story itself isn't actually separated into distinct categories, but you know when the story begins to shift its focus. Overall this story is intriguing and begins with masses of information that seem worthless at first, but may be informative later on in the plot (or it's just plain worthless). Either way, it keeps you guessing on who's the real good guy and the real bad guy. Man, the suspense was killing me by like the turning point in the plot, so I personally think it's that good. However, you still have to trudge through the slower starts, hence the slight drop in plot.

9.5/10

Characters

The most well-developed characters are the members of STN-J (obviously), and it didn't really matter whether the good guys/bad guys/intermediates/etc. are suffering from one-dimension syndrome.

9/10

Originality

I don't know whether the basis of WHR is actual witchcraft or not, but since witchcraft in general is the basis of many magic-based anime, I hesitate in giving it a high rating. However, the use of witchcraft in this setting is relatively original, and the Orbo twist is kinda cool.

8/10

Enjoyment

Oh man, action packed AND with a good plot PLUS relatively good suspense to round off the hot, blonde chick's story. Seriously, I find myself enjoying this series much more.

10/10

Overall
45.5/50 or 9.1

Any series with over 9.0 for a rating is good. Yes, now you may watch the dub (which is alright compared to the sub. They're getting better with the dubs here, unlike the EXTREMEly crappy Gundam Seed dub.). Woohoo Robin! Now go watch this series.

- Kenny C., User of the anti-orbo (is there such a thing????)

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 11-10-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

PRELIMINARY ACTION!

Anime: Mai Hime
Watched: Ep 18, ongoing fall anime
Genre: Action
This series is another sunrise series and is currently airing in Japan.

So let me get this straight, we have a brunette, a chick with blue hair and this other chick as our main characters? Oh, there's some guy?

Graphics

Hmmm....I like the overall artistic style of this anime. I don't think there's too much to say other than "it's typical" and it's following the tradition. If it's any consolation, Mai has big breasts while Kuga's got a "supermodel" body. Oh, and Mikoto is still in grade school (GET HER OUT OF YOUR GUTTER!!!!). As for the ladies, there are still plenty of guys around (but I don't remember ANY of their names as I don't tend to remember any names other than the main characters). THERE IS VERY LITTLE SERVICING, AND I LAUGH AT YOU SERIVCE LOVERS! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

8/10

Plot

HiME. What is it? Mai sees a red star out in the distance. What does it do? How is she transferred to this new school on a scholarship?

So the plot currently is moving into its second phase, with the first phase (I call it the first arc, a clear tribute to Angel Sanctuary) done fairly well. The whole plot involved a company in the first arc, and rapidly changes to something dramatically different in the second arc.

So why the low score? It's mainly due to the fact that really only the end of the first arc when any story was developed. I don't care if it's 15 eps long, I want more than just the last 6 or 7 being heavily story-based. I'm sure you can combine action with that too.

7/10

Characters

Not bad, but the fact that there are MANY characters that play at least a decent role means the characters are shown rarely and far in between among their appearances (except for Kuga, Mai, and Mikoto). This leaves a general distaste at a lack of development overall, although they did seem to try. I'll check out the manga to see if things are different there.

8/10

Originality

Prelim: Sure. It's like mecha-ish but not really. It's got flying people and some dog robot thing...and stuff like that. I like how this series isn't just all about fighting.

Now: The lack of mecha threw my original thoughts out the door. The idea of the "child" was pretty cool, so I give it brownie points.

8/10

Enjoyment

Sure. I'm alright with the series right now. Not much beef with it nor any affinity toward it. But out of all the fall anime so far that I've seen, this is probably one of the best.

9/10

Overall
40/50 or 8.0

Not that bad of a series, and it's quite popular among the anime watchers. I wouldn't doubt that it would come here some time soon.

- Kenny C., Element of WIND

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 03-08-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:02 AM
The Elite Ygseto Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to The Elite Ygseto Send a message via MSN to The Elite Ygseto Send a message via Yahoo to The Elite Ygseto

I've wacthed the first 2 fansubs of it, and enjoyed it very much.

BW Kenny do you read the Anime Sorce Manga?

Manga review;

Title: Addicted to Curry
Read: Volume 1
Rating: 13+ Nudity is in the manga, so just a heads up for those who don't want their virgin eyes soiled (or those who do want to).
Genre: Cooking

Here's a qoute from one website desribing it.

"Addicted to Curry comes from a long line of Cooking Manga, including Yumeiro Cooking, Shouta No Sushi, Yakitake Japan!, and many others. What sets this manga apart is ecchi humor and that it focuses on Curry. Makito Koenji is a curry chef with a mysterious past who helps Yui Sonezaki keep her father's curry restaurant, Ganesha, open through a lack of customers, a hostile takeover attempt by a huge company, and many other challenges. Get addicted... to Curry.:

Now it's in Surround Sound or something. XD

79-57-80, nuff said.

Graphics:

Clean. Very simlar to One Piece. Its a tad comical looking, while retaing the more normal looks.

8/10, nothing to great, but not bad.

The manga style is more the type that's stereotypical of this type of manga overall (aka kawaii comedy). Generally speaking, it's good stuff.

9/10

Plot:

The plot is kinda out there. A friend of a girls's (Yui) father comes and brings back a out of business curry house. The Guy was friends with Yui's father years ago, and he came to returna favor. When he got there You's Father had gone to india to hone his curry making skills.

This Guy sees the dying restarunt, and brings it back. I don't want to continue bucause i suck at this and i don't want to ruin the story.

8/10 for Originality.

What he said, except the guy's name is Makito. And also the curry house was "sold" already. Simply speaking, it's another Yakitate spin-off plot. And thus:

7/10

Charaters:

All the charaters are different and interesting. The devolpment is ok, but its also good. (that doesn't make to much sence does it? :P) Yui is the average Manga girl, with the supermodel body. While the guys are 'normal'.

8/10

Yui's measurements above. Aside from that, the characters basically revolve around Makito, Yui, and some of the regulars at the Curry house. The diversity of the main characters is decent (well speaking solely of our hero, heroine, and the regulars). The one thing that sets this manga apart from the rest: Makito's personality...go hentai-master...which I noticed is different (yes, the guy is actaully doing the stuff, not the "accidental" types like everyone else. XD).

8/10

Originality

Very, very orginal. Come on its a story about cooking Curry.

10/10

Yakitate spin-off (okay it's apparently the original XD)...WITH CURRY! Wow it's sounding like Yakitate Gohan (TM) or something. For somene to actaully try something like this makes this a default 9/10. It didn't get 10 because there aren't as many curry battles, which are always interesting. ;)

Enjoyment:

Very much so. As a cool little extra it comes with the fetured curry recipie. Its funny, and it has alot of unquie stuff in it.

9/10

Okay me being the fan of the "cute supermodel anime chick" thing, having one has won approximately 20% of the battle. The stupidity of the anime that rival that of Yakitate, an additional 20%. Fan service +10%. Curry is good, so that's an additonal 40%.

9/10

Overall:
43/50
Its cool and you should check it out at http://yanime.animeneko.net/curry/

41/50 = 8.2
Nice manga to play around with. I'll be reading this while waiting for releases on Yakitate/Pretty Face/NHK/School Rumble/etc. Which means that it'll be sticking around for a long time. ;)

btw, I think the first issue of this was in 2001 (compared to Yakitate Japan @ 2002), so me saying it's a spin off...well it's more like the original. XD

Besides, 79-57-80. XD

- Kenny "Makito is my hero" C.

My Trading Shop
White Friend Code: 0819-3051-3379
White Pokedex Obtained: 151(U)/442(N)

Pokemon I've Recently Breed, PM for trades
- Zorua w/ Dark Pulse, Timid and Naive
- Deino w/ Dark Pulse, Timid and Modest
- Panpour w/ Nasty Plot, Random Natures

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 04-19-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: School Rumble
Watched: Ep 20, ongoing fall anime
ESRP rating: Everyone to Teen (13+)
Genre: Comedy
This series is another sunrise series and is currently airing in Japan. Rumours are that the series is licensed already...or the company that's doing School Rumble is about to sue the fansubbers for subbing it and distributing it (oh noes, stay alive Wannabe!). O_O

School Rumble:
The life of an idiot. Yup it's true! :D

Graphics

As you guys have known, my sig was predominantly School Rumble based. Last time it was Tenma (main character) looking cute, this time it's some other girl looking cute. XD

The graphical representation of this anime is top-notch with very little crappy animators working on this one (w00t!) I personally thought the drawings of the anime mirrored the manga fairly well, and Eri still looks cool (or hot, whichever you want).

9/10

Plot

It's about the everyday life of Tenma and the gang! Of course, we throw in her stupidity, kawaiiness, weird fetish for a boring guy, ignorance to practically everything, and a beautiful little sister who looks more like the older sister. Oh did I mention she was 3 friends of pretty much each style? Of course, delinquents and stuff are there too.

7/10

Characters

This is one of the first manga to have such a dramatic atmosphere with the characters that I have actually started to like one character whom I didn't like at the beginning (Eri). Good stuff there. :)

I also like how a good number of characters aren't as 1-D.

9/10

Originality

As a comedy it's very good, as the situations have become more unorthodox in comparison to the regular slapstick (it's slapstick in itself tho). It also tries to have other parts of the anime be actually serious (ones that feature Tenma's sister usually), which is also unheard of in comedies.

10/10

Enjoyment

It's like I'm watching train wrecks over and over and over again! :D And by that I also mean there are *some* plot movements in almost every episode, which is pretty cool. The whole "3 episodes an episode" thing was kinda stupid funny. XD

10/10

Overall
45/50 or 9.0

A very good series and yet it still can't take on the big guns that I've rated. I should really go rate some crap some time just to round things off huh. lol

- Kenny C., like totally

to ygseto: I read a lot of manga yes, but I've slowed down on it since it's tough to find them nowadays. I don't really check anime-source that much either, but I do check out some of the individual subbers such as Yanime and Akatsuki.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: Samurai Champloo
Watched: Ep 26, complete series
ESRP rating: Teen (13+) to Mature (17+)

Yo, sharp like an edge of the samurai sword
the metal blade cuts through flesh and bone
though my mind's at peace, the world out of order
lessening the heat, life gets colder.

*Gets dragged out from the Kareoke stand*

Graphics

Possibly some of the best graphics made in a long time. The animation is smooth through the battles, and the overall style of the series. Somehow it manages to look cool and "cute" (the girl) at the same time. Sometimes there are some random bad scenes,but those tend to be rare (or intentional).

10/10

Plot

Fuu (she's the cute girl!) is an orphan who by chance met with Mugen and Jin, two very powerful samurai with completely contrasting styles. Thus somehow Fuu got both of these men to join her in her quest to find the samurai who smells like sunflowers.

Generally speaking, half the episodes felt like fillers to me. Taking that aside, the plot isn't anything all that interesting and certainly doesn't pick up until very late in the series (well and the first few eps).

7/10

Characters

Our 3 main characters make up the cast pretty much. Jin is the calm and cool samurai, with a style that goes with it. Mugen is the instinc-based samurai. Fuu is the girl who holds this unlikely party together. Generally speaking this series has very good development early on, but lacked it by the end.

7/10

Originality

Hip Hop + Feudal Japan. 'Nuff said.

10/10

Enjoyment

It's ridiculous how much I enjoyed the series. The whole thing touched on many unrelated parts, throwing parodies, action, and hip hop all into a single package, creating a fusion that's unlike any other. The experience is so distinctive that it's got enjoyment in the bag.

10/10

Overall
44/50 or 8.8

It's a very strong series with a decent fanbase, with a possibility of coming here (edit: it came here). I'm not sure how all the hip hop are going to change, and certainly the violence would be toned down to the "Teen" range, which would be the target audience.

- Kenmyster, move over Maestro. XD

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 01-07-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

2 times the reviews!

Manga review;

Title: Yakitate Japan!
Read: All of the first and second arc, beginning of third (Volume 14)
Rating: General Audience
Genre: Cooking

Go go Japan rangers! Something about rice and bread tasting nice and other things! This has nothing to do with the series itself.

Graphics:

Decent graphics with nice frame-by-frames. Somehow the females remind me of Ichigo's female leads. *drool* XD Anyway, the graphics are far from normal, if you take into account of the men with Afros and other ridiculous characters. Big points!

9/10

Plot:

The story is about a boy trying to be the best Japan maker in the world. What is Japan? It's Ja-pan! Ja-BREAD! OH MY GOSH THE PUN!!!! THE PUN!!!! Anyway, he wanted to make bread that tastes better than rice, and called it Japan. He would enter this one big bread company so he can attain his full potential to create the best Japan.

Along the plot he meets friends and enemies alike, but will Azuma succeed? This plot is so crappy that you have to give it a 9. lol

9/10

Charaters:

Somehow the characters feel stereotypical in some ways, and not deviate from the stupidity or seriousness or whatever.

7/10

Originality

Pfft. Curry has nothing on Japan, the breakfast of...bakers?

10/10

Enjoyment:

Okay the show's educational without being boring, I've seen at least 2 recipes (with ones involving making breadfrom RICE COOKERS). The humour is seemlessly incorporated with the sheer "wtf? it's bread.". Big points! Big points!

I personally thought the parody omake "Yakitate GOHAN!" to be genius. lol

10/10

Overall:
45/50 or 9.0

W00! Go bread-making! I can't believe this is not Japan (pun fully intended)! XD

- Kenny C. --> I made Japan with a rice cooker! XD
Old 05-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: .hack//sign
Watched: Ep 26, complete series plus extra episode (27)
ESRP rating: Everyone to Teen
Genre: ??????

This review is from the POV of a viewer who's viewed this for the first time without any sort of background knowloedge of the series nor have played any of the games/seen the DVDs/nothing.

Graphics

The character designs are very welldone, but there is one major problem: it is inconsistent. There are way too many times when you can visibly see differences in which the differences are too apparent...and it feels horrible to see two completely different styles being shown in an anime where there should be one single solid style...

6/10

Plot

The plot deals with themes such as hope, false hope, despair, secrets, ethics, and morality. The plot used was very well done and felt very polished right up to the near-end...where everything fell apart. Way too many loose ends were left in the end, more than that of Gundam Seed. And I do know that there are some things that should not be explained in the series and I discounted those as things that were meant to be loose ends...and I counted the fact that there is a sequel (or going to be one), but even at that there seems like there are too many loose ends even at that.

Yup, the ending was rushed heavily and I did not like it one bit. As one may say, if the ending sucked, it doesn't matter how good the progress toward the ending is...the ending ruined the progress as well.

7/10

Characters

Aside from the dozen supporting cast most of the characters are lively and take their respective roles in the series quite well up to the end.

9/10

Originality

It's very original to see an anime actually about a video game.

10/10

Enjoyment

The ending ruined everything. It was highly enjoyable with the music fitting and amplifying the mood and the atmosphere for the most part. The plot was solid and the graphical differences were but small termites in the mount of gold. Who would have thought the ending made the series feel empty and unpolished? I'm sorry, it was a very good ride, but hitting a brick wall after a very good ride amplified the crappiness and made the series MUCH less enjoyable.

5/10

Overall
37/50 or 7.4

i'm hesitating with this score, since I don't feel like I enjoyed the series very much, and I certainly don't understand why there is such a large fanbase for it. Sure the plot was good up until the end, and it was a nice original series for a change, but did they have to ruin an otherwise excellent series? Sheesh this thing could have made it at least to an 8.0 with ease. Why isn't it?

- Kenny C.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Jet Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jet Send a message via MSN to Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Jet

You only watched it now??? o_O

lol, nvm, time 4 me to do another one

Anime: Midori no Hibi (a.k.a. Midori Days)
Watched: all, up to 13... or was it 14...
ESRP rating: PG-13... slight nudity in 4 to 5 episodes
Genre: Romance-Comedy

Midori Days is your typical teen show, where Seiji Sawamura, a rough, tough-acting guy in high school tries to find a girlfriend Though he's popular for his "Demon's Right Hand" and in fighting... through girls though, he's squat; most of the girls are terrified of her, in fact, he's the one being beaten. One thing he doesn't know, there's 1 girl who likes him... make that loves him; Midori. Midori though, is too shy to reveal her feelings, and Seiji didn't even know her. After Seiji's 20th attempt to have a girlfriend, and failed, Seiji got depressed. He says he's doomed to have only his right hand for a girlfriend. The next morning, just he woke up... he was right; his famous demon's right hand is now a female right hand; his right hand transformed into a doll-sized Midori. Midori confesses her love for Seiji, but Seiji doesn't take her seriously. The 2 then go through Seiji's life, trying to hide the secret of the transformation.

Graphics

The characters are nicely done, vivid colors, very nice backgrounds, nuff' said

9/10

Plot

There is kind of no plot, just trying to go through Seiji's life trying to conceal the fact that Seiji became sort of a softie because of Midori. As the story goes, one by one, close people (and 1 very insane puppet addict) find out about their secret. They promise to keep it a secret, etc etc. The ending is very nice though, very emotional and touching.

7.5/10
ending 10/10

Characters

A lot of funny likeable characters; from Seiji, the very kawaii Midori, Seiji's bad-@$$ gang-leading sister, the underaged Shiori who also like Seiji, but in a little girl crush/obsession kind of way, even the very insane puppet addict Shuichi is okay. S'all good.

10/10

Originality

Well you don't see any other anime with a high school punk with a girl in their right hand... =P

10/10

Enjoyment

Very enjoyable, very cute situations, and at times you acually feel sorry for both Seiji and Midori

9/10

Overall

9.1/10 or 45.5/50

It's kawaii, it's emotional, it's kawaii, it's funny, it's kawaii, and it's sentimental. Did I mention it's very kawaii? ^^ XD

- Jet W.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Yeah actually. It was sitting amongst my DVDs for subbed anime for a while before I decided to watch it. It's like Star Ocean EX, still haven't watched it (along with Azumanga Daioh).

Title: Midori No Hibi
Read: All 8 volumes
Rating: Automatic Older Teen'd! (we've got some ecchi and some freaky Lucy hentai action YEA!)
Genre: romantic comedy

And this is all because Jet did it on the anime. I'd swear I probably rated this already too...

Graphics:

It's light-hearted and the graphics do not disappoint...probably better than that of its anime counterpart. Either way, the characters are lively drawn with little to complain about (except maybe if you're a hentai or something).

9/10

Plot:

What Jet said, except throw in some alternate pathways to the end and a couple extra characters that make a difference in the manga.

7/10

Charaters:

Lucy = best in manga. Aside from that, the characters stay true to themselves.

7/10

Originality

Right hand as girlfriend....been there, done that.

6/10

Enjoyment:

I really liked this series itself, if not just attracted to Lucy's appearance. Either way, the manga stays true to itself and performs admirably. The Lucy hentai by the end of the series was "icing" on the cake. XD

10/10

Overall:
39/50 or 7.8

Yay! With everything else dragging it down, the most important factor, enjoyment, earned full marks. So although it may be cliche, the characters may not be the best around, it's still a decent manga to pick up for a spin, with its light-heartedness (well until the end anyway).

IMO the manga is better than the anime, if not simply for the fact that Lucy's in the manga and not in the anime. Still, it's a strong manga that demands attention (and licensing...which it already is licensed).

- Kenny "The Lucy Fan" C.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 05-09-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: Chrno Crusade (yes, it's spelt Chrno)
Watched: All 24 eps.
Genre: Drama/Action

Well the American version I heard does spell Chrono Crusade, not that it matters.

Graphics

The character designs are good, and also the consistency is quite high. Also, the graphics also seem to match with the atmosphere of the series during the right periods. All in all, a strong entry.

8/10

Plot

The series bases itself with the Catholic prophecies (if I recall, it's the same 3 prophecies). Anyway, the plot is about a soldier for the church named Rosette Christopher, and her partner (and a demon) Chrno. They are then launched into a battle against the past, present, and darkness itself.

The story launches itself out to have a darker and darker atmosphere as the series prgresses. Does the ending deal with sadness or not? Only the preceiver will know.

9/10

Characters

Rosette, Chrnos, and Azumaria show dynamic personalities, and the supporting cast also shows some livelyhood.

9/10

Originality

It's probably not the first series to deal with the prophecies, and also the idea of demon hunting was fairly overdone. One huge problem was the filler episodes in the middle, though.

8/10

Enjoyment

The ending was GOOD, and combined with a good start, made it a good series to go with. Sadly, the series could still have gotten into the series without the whole DBZ crap.

7/10

Overall
41/50 or 8.2

Strong series. I like it a lot and felt some emotional attachment to the series at the end. I rode with the wave. Not sure, however, of I feel at the end of the series, unfortunately. Oh, you know the actual name of the series does mean something (I knew by the end anyway).

- Kenny C.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: Read or Die OVA
Watched: All 3 eps

Yes it's licensed. No the TV series is not licensed. Nothere aren't that many torrents on the TV series. No, the TV series doesn't really have too much to do with Read or Die except the fact that the TV series is the "sequel".

Graphics

Yomiko-chan is kawaii!!!! Okay back to the actual rating, the animation has good flow and is just plain decent. Yeah sometimes the styling does get onto my nerves at times. But IMO it's still good enough animation. No complaints.

7/10

Plot

The story is about Yomiko Readman, a secret agent working for the British Library (and she's a substitute teacher :D). Her alias is "The Paper". She basically goes around doing missions for the British Library, and she's stylin' with that suitcase and her awesome paper powers (it sounds cheesy, but it's cooler than that).

This OVA is just a single mission (essentially).

8/10

Characters

Whatever. 3 Episodes really can't do much in terms of character development. Joker's cool tho, and same with The Paper. So I'll just give an 8 and move on.

8/10

Originality

Paper power is extremely cool. Aside from that, the plot for this OVA is really cool also.

10/10

Enjoyment

Fun, and action filled. Man, Yomiko's such a wussie, but what the heck she's cool nonetheless.

9/10

Overall
42/50 or 8.4

Coolest cellphone ever. Period. And I fear papercuts now. XD

- Kenny "Reading Rampage" C.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:17 AM
Mitsuko Souma Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuko Souma Send a message via MSN to Mitsuko Souma Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsuko Souma

I read a manga, so :p!

Title: Battle Royale
Rating: 18+
Genre: Action/Suspense/Horror

Graphics:

Absolutely stunning. Tears, hair, face, they all look almost REAL! Even the murders.

10/10

Plot:

In Japan, there is a game show called The Program. A randomly picked 9th grade class is sent to an island, where they compete in a fight to the death. The last living person wins. But all 42 of these teens are fitted with collars. If there is not one death every 24 hours, the collars explode and kill all the remaining. Very gruesome and VERY mature.

9/10

Charaters:

All the characters are extremely real. Cannot become too attached, though, as he/she may die.

8/10

Originality:

Survivor meets Lord of the Flies.

9/10

Enjoyment:

Not for the immature. But a suspenseful none the less.

10/10

Overall:
46/50 or 92%

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 01-07-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: Read or Die TV Series (ROD the TV)
Watched: All 26 eps

Okay, it's the sequel to the OVA. Still coolio magnifico.

Graphics

Yomiko-chan is kawaii!!!! I'm going to start every paragraph with that...or not. Anyway, the TV series inherited the same art style and gets a little more crisp at certain times, and less crisp at other times, balancing out into the same score as the OVA.

7/10

Plot

The story is about the three paper sisters Michelle, Maggie, and Anita. They run a detective agency in Hong Kong, and just got their lastest assignment: to guard one of their (they as in Michelle and Maggie) favourite authors,
Sumiregawa Nenene. And thus their story begins.

The plot in itself is fairly interesting, and is enough to keep the action going (more like connecting the different action sequences). I recommend you watch the OVA FIRST to get more background information about the series first.

9/10

Characters

All of the main characters show a dynamic personality that seems to be fairly realisitc to a certain point. Nothing really too much in that part, tho. I'd have to admit that the villain's VERY well done, a near-perfect portrait of a white (the colour white as referred to by magic: the gathering) villain.

9/10

Originality

With the paper thing already no original anymore, they made it more original by giving you more powers to toy with! Just seeing the different incarnations of these abilities make it worthwhile to watch.

10/10

Enjoyment

Fun times, fun times. I'd have to say that ROD the TV is an improvement to the previous OVA, but Yomiko gets much less screen time. :( Oh well, I get to oogle over Michelle instead then. XD

On a serious note, the action was thoroughly enjoyable, and the touching moments in the series were also ridiculously cheesy. Itworked out fine for the series nonetheless. :)

9/10

Overall
44/50 or 8.8

And the paperuts show that ROD the TV JUST missed the fabled 9.0 mark. seriously, it's a good show still, and definitely a good bang for the anime DVD buck.

- Kenny "Lyrical Rampage" C.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Mitsuko Souma Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuko Souma Send a message via MSN to Mitsuko Souma Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsuko Souma

Title: Fruits Basket
Rating: All ages
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Graphics:

Cute, average.

7.5/10

Plot:

Complicated. Too long to write.

8.5/10

Charaters:

Adorable, cute, basic.

8/10

Originality:

Not much. Like a lot of plots from various things all smushed together.

5/10

Enjoyment:

Immature, but cute. I liked it.

10/10

Overall:
39/50 or 78%

C+. I've seen better.